TORONTO HATED????

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Racial profiling by the cops exist in every city, but the point TFC07 was trying to make was that racial profiling was never to the point where riots occurred in Toronto. Needless to say, the tolerance of the cops in a particular city is not reflective of the cities level of tolerance...

Toronto probably has the most tolerant police force in Canada. They hire the most minorities (I believe 1\3rd are non-white), and even though racial profiling exists, your talking about the largest local police force in Canada, how do you prevent racial profiling in such a large police force?

Speaking of tolerance in the Toronto Police Force, Toronto's next police Chief is expected to be Canada's first black police chief Peter Sloly.

Just in case his name doesn't ring a bell, he has 1 cap for the Canadian MNT, and 18 caps for the U-20 team as a youth. He has since earned his MBA at York University's Schulich School of Business, one of the top business schools in the world.

quote:Originally posted by Franco-Ruskie

Sorry if this is already repeated, but the Coors Light billboard in British Columbia is about as ****ty as the beer itself.

That's a great line, I wish I'd thought of it.

quote:

At least I can visit Toronto without people making fun of my French accent. When I visit BC, they talk to me like I'm an immigrant.

As a British Columbian, I don't find that surprising, but I do find it embarrassing. I've been to Québec three times and only managed to find two complete idiots. One in a Montrél Metro ticket kiosk, and the other was NHL ref Dan Marouelli who wasn't rude but was certainly incompetent.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

That's a great line, I wish I'd thought of it.

As a British Columbian, I don't find that surprising, but I do find it embarrassing. I've been to Québec three times and only managed to find two complete idiots. One in a Montrél Metro ticket kiosk, and the other was NHL ref Dan Marouelli who wasn't rude but was certainly incompetent.

Don't worry about it all Montrealers think the metro ticket booth guys are rude and complete idiots....

quote:Originally posted by Franco-Ruskie

I am embarrassed to say as a Montrealer but I believe only a Montrealer would start such a stupid prejudice forum. Maybe Im wrong?

Actually, it's a guy from Toronto.

Classic case of "why do you hate me" kind of insecurity complex that goes with some people that feels they've got something others don't (rightfully or not) and others shouldn't be jealous or angry about it... [:P]

Like some rich people who ask themselves why the poor people hate them [:0] . That's simply human nature. Nothing more, nothing less. And that's why this thread has reached 8 pages.

Still, this little game is very funny...

And that's why this thread has reached 8 pages. :D

It really depresses me reading these posts ^^^. I was born and raised in Toronto, and have no experience living in any other Canadian city. I can however relate some of these stories to what I have seen living in Ireland, Scotland (Glasgow in particular), and now in a region of Spain that is wedged between Cataluna and the Basque Country. These are all places of prejudice and tension btw.

What can you say??? Hater's be damned. For the most part it's just people acting like sheep and not really trying to think of what it's like to walk in another person's shoes. Like the biologist has pointed out, it is human nature. I suppose the best we enlightened folks can do is not follow the pack and lead by example.

As Voyaguers (a group of supporters spread thinly across an enormous, underachieving soccer country) can do is put aside our differences (especially when they're our places of birth) and all just get the f$%& along.

All Canadians, new or old, welcome.

Newbies welcome.

Plastics (former) welcome.

Francophones welcome.

Gingers welcome.

Americans welcome.

Gay Fish (but not Kanye West) welcome.

Now can we possibly let this stupid, depressing thread die? (cough mods cough)

As somebody born and raised in Vancouver, I can't say that what Franco-Ruskie is describing fits with my experiences of my hometown. I grew up in a mixed neighbourhood and have friends of many different ethnicities. I also have lots of family and friends who are immigrants to Canada. I have been to many Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese restaurants and have never been made to feel uncomfortable (I am of Punjabi heritage). I've also taken many friends for Indian food (in the Punjabi market on Main Street, which primarily caters to the local Indian community) without any issues. My parents speak English very well, but with strong accents, and they've never had any trouble. I have always found Vancouver, for the most part, to be a very tolerant and welcoming place. It is regretful that you had a less than ideal experience.

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

So let's do it just to see how long it will last, to see if we really have the willingness to let it die and lock this thread by ourselves.

I was going to lock this thread, but new posts kept coming in. This thread was originally an outlet for ALL V-Cup groups to express themselves, on mainly the merits of Toronto, etc.

If I locked it, I'd get a lot of flack. So far it hasn't been too bad in my opinion. And many posts have been interesting/enlightening/personally insightful ... Not like the Begovic thread.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I was going to lock this thread, but new posts kept coming in. This thread was originally an outlet for ALL V-Cup groups to express themselves, on mainly the merits of Toronto, etc.

If I locked it, I'd get a lot of flack. So far it hasn't been too bad in my opinion. And many posts have been interesting/enlightening/personally insightful ... Not like the Begovic thread.

That's about my idea. 99.9% of the time I'm against locking threads and this time is no different. I think it's a better idea to stop bitching each other by ourselves when there's no purpose for it (I'm only talking about the non interesting/enlightening/personally insightful posts). And to see how long it can last, even more when about everything has been said and done.

Actually, it's a guy from Toronto.

Classic case of "why do you hate me" kind of insecurity complex that goes with some people that feels they've got something others don't (rightfully or not) and others shouldn't be jealous or angry about it... [:P]

The only insecurity complex is the hating. Asking why there is hating is just someone's attempt to understand the situation.

Anyhow, I have never asked people in this thread why they hate Toronto. I merely stated that you shouldn't hate Toronto because I squashed all the negative connotations people had about the city. If you want to hate anyone, hate the media.

^ I was talking about REDSequalCANADA and his post that started this thread. Whether you should feel the cap fits your head or not is up to you man.

quote:Originally posted by REDSequalCANADA

Is Toronto FC really being hated by MTL and VAN because of the fan support they have (VAN favourite word in dictionary PLASTIC)!

Because we so called payed off Saputo?

Because are fans are too Euro

Or is it plain and simple were from Toronto!!

I personally love Van and MTL(as a city) but come on even if we had a TORONTO bowling team they would hate us!

Anyhow I love Canadian footy

• 3 months later...
Guest speedmonk42

We should change the thread title to MONTREAL METRO TICKET BOOTH GUYS HATED???

No, but I think it is an important point. Because once people are on guard and see every interaction through a filter they start snipe hunting.

They don't treat you like crap because of who you are, they treat everyone like crap are two very different problems.

It is important because the people that do most of the damage in any city, for almost any problem, are actually a very small number. And understanding that in a broader sense, even when your senses tell you otherwise can help people make better decisions about places and not throw the baby out with the bath.....

quote:Originally posted by kyam

Peter Sloly also played for the Toronto Blizzard in 1986 when they were a member of the National Soccer League (after the demise of the NASL and prior to the founding of the CSL).

I recently had the chance to introduce myself to him at an event and I was able to bring that up. He was pleasantly surprised and was also a super nice guy.

I want to respond to two (relatively)recent points in this thread.

1. "let this stupid thread die" Why? Is it coming after you in your sleep? If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to read it.

2. Montréal metro ticket booth goofs. I've been to Montréal three times, and the only rude person I can remember was a metro ticket booth guy. Did they all learn customer service in Vancouver?

Archived