TORONTO HATED????

Is Toronto FC really being hated by MTL and VAN because of the fan support they have (VAN favourite word in dictionary PLASTIC)!

Because we so called payed off Saputo?

Because are fans are too Euro

Or is it plain and simple were from Toronto!!

I personally love Van and MTL(as a city) but come on even if we had a TORONTO bowling team they would hate us!

Anyhow I love Canadian footy

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may wind up getting harshly treated by a couple of the sociopaths on here, REDSequalCANADA. They are best ignored and/or laughed at. Personally think all we are seeing is normal healthy rivalry at this point. The "plastic" stuff is clearly based on jealousy that Toronto got into MLS first more than anything else and probably shouldn't be taken too seriously. Plenty of TFC fans have followed clubs like Benfica, Liverpool, Man Utd, Rangers, Red Star Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb, Zamalek, River Plate and Lazio overseas so I don't think they need any advice or lectures from fans of USL-D1 teams on what it means to follow a soccer club although I wouldn't suggest that Impact, Lynx and Whitecaps fans should be completely ignored on that.

quote:Originally posted by REDSequalCANADA

Is Toronto FC really being hated by MTL and VAN because of the fan support they have (VAN favourite word in dictionary PLASTIC)!

I personally love Van and MTL(as a city) but come on even if we had a TORONTO bowling team they would hate us!

We hate you cause you used Federal tax dollars then let the dumb city council you elect to put in artificial turf.. when you turn up at a council meeting as you do to drink beer and through streamers we might like you a bit .. meanwhile your Toronto in domestic games we will all enjoy disliking you.

Reds=Canada mmm not bloody likely .. reds equal a few good nights out in summer till you all go back to loving the leafs.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

We hate you cause you used Federal tax dollars then let the dumb city council you elect to put in artificial turf.. when you turn up at a council meeting as you do to drink beer and through streamers we might like you a bit .. meanwhile your Toronto in domestic games we will all enjoy disliking you.

Reds=Canada mmm not bloody likely .. reds equal a few good nights out in summer till you all go back to loving the leafs.

Last time I checked AND until recently, Ontario has been sending money to other provinces in the form of Equalization payments (particularly to Quebec), so the whole "Federal money" argument really doesn't hold ground.

Unless of course your from my home Province of Alberta. Albertan's pay their fair share [8D]

One more thing... Joey Saputo has asked for Federal money to support the expansion of Stade Saputo.

Since your so against the Federal Government's involvement with BMO, how do you feel about the use of Federal tax dollars to support the expansion of Saputo.

The existing stadium is partially owned by the Quebec Government...

*Of course, if it were up to me, the Feds should have demanded real grass for our "National Soccer Stadium" as part of the funding, but hey, its Government...

quote:Originally posted by kyam

One more thing... Joey Saputo has asked for Federal money to support the expansion of Stade Saputo.

Since your so against the Federal Government's involvement with BMO, how do you feel about the use of Federal tax dollars to support the expansion of Saputo.

The existing stadium is partially owned by the Quebec Government...

*Of course, if it were up to me, the Feds should have demanded real grass for our "National Soccer Stadium" as part of the funding, but hey, its Government...

Kyam.. Stade Saputo has grass...so a good federal investment if they make one to help expansion and getting a MLS franchise, also remember the CSA kicked in money to help Toronto City Hall build the stadium...

ps.. did you get any St. Albert Cheese Curds this weekend ?

Wow... we certainly don't hate you Torontonians for being "too Euro", I'll tell you that.

And to address the omnipresent, and ever stupid, kyam: Saputo only asked for gov,t funding because he tried going it alone last time, failed, and said, "If Toronto doesn't have to pay their whole bill, why the fuck should I?" And the equilization payments are a bit different than people from Yellowknife to St. Anthony paying for people to play soccer in Toronto.

I'll wade into this with some west coast perspective. I'm not trolling here, I'm simply responding to the question that was asked by the original poster.

Reasons why I, as a Vancouverite, hate TFC:

1. When Toronto was awarded their franchise, Canada's eastern-driven sports media (CBC, Sportsnet and TSN alike) all jumped on the bandwagon and declared TFC would be "Canada's team."

Screw that. I am a proud Canadian, but TFC is NOT my team, nor shall it ever be. I've been supporting the 86ers / Caps since day one. My club has been around a lot longer than TFC. My club has been around a lot longer than MLS too. Message to the media - don't presume to tell me who I'm going to cheer for.

2. Stadium envy... not envy for BMO as a facility per se, but the fact that an incredibly wealthy corporation somehow got a hold of my tax dollars to build a stadium they will use to earn a profit with, then cashed in on BMOs naming rights to boot.

Before we get into this, I don't want to hear any crap about Vancouver's Olympic funding. That is a totally different issue. Montreal and Calgary have both held Olympics. Toronto has applied for the games several times too. It's a worldwide event, and our country is lucky to have the games wherever they are held, and as frequently as we are allowed to host them. Furthermore, Olympic sporting venues remain public assets after the fact... they are not turned over to billion-dollar corporations for use in private enterprise (i.e. housing a professional sports franchise).

Taxes aside, the timing of BMO's financing and construction was a slap in the face to Vancouverites, as we were at that time four years deep into a public relations war with self-serving political factions, unscrupulous condo developers and mindless bureaucratic drones.

Imagine... there's MLSE smiling for the cameras as they put the golden shovels in the ground, meanwhile we're still pulling our hair out over why the f--- it is so hard for a guy who owns an unoccupied parcel of land to build something with his own money that has overwhelming community support. Greg Kerfoot did everything right, and he did it on his own dime, and he continues to get he shaft from the feds (port authority). So why is it that when MLSE holds out their hand, the feds bend over backwards to cut them a cheque? It reeks of precisely what we out west perceive as eastern favouritism by the federal government. Right or wrong, that's how it looks to a lot of us out west... which is precisely what led to the creation of the Reform and Canadian Alliance parties, and it's what put Stephen Harper in office today.

3. Immature, plastic TFC fans. When I say "plastic" I do not mean "newcomers" (because I'll be the first to admit that Vancouver will have PLENTY of those too.)

By my definition, a plastic fan is one who ***professes to be superior to other supporters or supporters groups***, while at the same...

a) has no knowledge of Toronto's NASL / CSL / USL soccer history;

B) didn't make the effort to support (or didn't know about) the Lynx when USL was the highest level of pro soccer in Canada; and

c) somehow thinks that three years shouting from the stands at BMO entitles them to pontificate about the realities of "hardcore support" when I stand with guys at Swangard who have been doing the same thing since 1974.

4. Local glory hunters - before the Vancouver Canucks arrived on the scene out here, a lot of Vancouverites cheered for the Leafs. To this day, there are still some who do, and they make a point of attending every Canucks v. Leafs game at GM Place. These fans are vocal, visible, and extremely annoying...

Now we see the same sort of phenomena at Swanard when TFC comes to play the Caps. We have some transplanted Torontonians here supporting TFC, but that's understandable. What is baffling to us is the small number of Vancouver-based glory hunters who cheer for TFC because it's the new and trendy thing on the Canadian sports scene. It's lame, tacky and pathetic. These guys also talk a big game about what great supporters they are, and yet they've never been to BMO in their lives. All I can say is I'm glad they're your fans and not ours.

I'll be sure to add to this list later, but that's a good start. Anyone else from Vancouver or Montreal want to step in?

quote:Originally posted by REDSequalCANADA

1. Plastic to me because the Lynx were around for years and people in Toronto sat on their arses in cappuccino bars supporting Milan and Juventus even though some of them have never even been to Italy. We have our share of the crapola here in Vancouver as well, and when Whitecaps enter MLS, I will also consider them plastic, but I will have to welcome them because we need all the support we can get for the game in this country.

2. I didn't know you paid off Saputo, I was blaming this all on Dos Santos. Thank you for clearing the air.

3. Your fans are too Euro? What's that supposed to mean? (it's "our" not "are"). Throwing toilet paper looks more like South America than Europe.

4. Yes. You're from Toronto, enough said. The capital of this country is Ottawa. Why the hell is everything (in English) in Toronto? Why the hell is the CBC in Toronto? Why does the CBC and every other network think the rest of Canada is a suburb of TO?

I watch most KFC matches and hope they do well only because their only league opposition is American. However, when they play Vancouver, I can hate them, which is what I should be doing. I may not hate KFC as much as I hate the Impact now, though. I do like the Ultras, and I feel sorry for them for the way their club treats them.

5. If you had a bowling team, I would hate them not only because they're from Toronto, but also because I hate bowling.

I agree with 95% of what JohnnieMonster said above. If people in Vancouver are Leaf fans because they are from Toronto and always have been Leaf fans, fine. If people were TFC fans and recently moved to Vancouver and come to Swangard to cheer on their team, fine. However, how can anyone from Vancouver cheer FOR KFC against the Whitecaps?

I forgot to mention after the last home match against Miami, as I approached my car, a carload of NFL supporting, single-digit IQ thugs stopped and one guy said to me "Hey, Whitecaps suck buddy". Being on my own, I didn't think it was wise to say "So does your mother, but not very well". Maybe they were from Toronto. Why do I say that? Because I hate Toronto. Nothing personal, I just hate your city, like everyone else in Canada.

Anyway, you're Canadian and support Canadian footy. Welcome to the Voyageurs.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

I'll wade into this with some west coast perspective. I'm not trolling here, I'm simply responding to the question that was asked by the original poster.

1. When Toronto was awarded their franchise, Canada's eastern-driven sports media (CBC, Sportsnet and TSN alike) all jumped on the bandwagon and declared TFC would be "Canada's team."

Screw that. I am a proud Canadian, but TFC is NOT my team, nor shall it ever be. I've been supporting the 86ers / Caps since day one. My club has been around a lot longer than TFC. My club has been around a lot longer than MLS too. Message to the media - don't presume to tell me who I'm going to cheer for.

2. Stadium envy... not envy for BMO as a facility per se, but the fact that an incredibly wealthy corporation somehow got a hold of my tax dollars to build a stadium they will use to earn a profit with, then cashed in on BMOs naming rights to boot.

Before we get into this, I don't want to hear any crap about Vancouver's Olympic funding. That is a totally different issue. Montreal and Calgary have both held Olympics. Toronto has applied for the games several times too. It's a worldwide event, and our country is lucky to have the games wherever they are held, and as frequently as we are allowed to host them. Furthermore, Olympic sporting venues remain public assets after the fact... they are not turned over to billion-dollar corporations for use in private enterprise (i.e. housing a professional sports franchise).

Taxes aside, the timing of BMO's financing and construction was a slap in the face to Vancouverites, as we were at that time four years deep into a public relations war with self-serving political factions, unscrupulous condo developers and mindless bureaucratic drones.

Imagine... there's MLSE smiling for the cameras as they put the golden shovels in the ground, meanwhile we're still pulling our hair out over why the f--- it is so hard for a guy who owns an unoccupied parcel of land to build something with his own money that has overwhelming community support. Greg Kerfoot did everything right, and he did it on his own dime, and he continues to get he shaft from the feds (port authority). So why is it that when MLSE holds out their hand, the feds bend over backwards to cut them a cheque? It reeks of precisely what we out west perceive as eastern favouritism by the federal government. Right or wrong, that's how it looks to a lot of us out west... which is precisely what led to the creation of the Reform and Canadian Alliance parties, and it's what put Stephen Harper in office today.

3. Immature, plastic TFC fans. When I say "plastic" I do not mean "newcomers" (because I'll be the first to admit that Vancouver will have PLENTY of those too.)

By my definition, a plastic fan is one who ***professes to be superior to other supporters or supporters groups***, while at the same...

B) didn't make the effort to support (or didn't know about) the Lynx when USL was the highest level of pro soccer in Canada; and

c) somehow thinks that three years shouting from the stands at BMO entitles them to pontificate about the realities of "hardcore support" when I stand with guys at Swangard who have been doing the same thing since 1974.

4. Local glory hunters - before the Vancouver Canucks arrived on the scene out here, a lot of Vancouverites cheered for the Leafs. To this day, there are still some who do, and they make a point of attending every Canucks v. Leafs game at GM Place. These fans are vocal, visible, and extremely annoying...

Now we see the same sort of phenomena at Swanard when TFC comes to play the Caps. We have some transplanted Torontonians here supporting TFC, but that's understandable. What is baffling to us is the small number of Vancouver-based glory hunters who cheer for TFC because it's the new and trendy thing on the Canadian sports scene. It's lame, tacky and pathetic. These guys also talk a big game about what great supporters they are, and yet they've never been to BMO in their lives. All I can say is I'm glad they're your fans and not ours.

I'll be sure to add to this list later, but that's a good start. Anyone else from Vancouver or Montreal want to step in?

Since I only catch about three games a year at swangard (I am a student my sports budget is low, plus I live on the Island so hotels and stuff add up). I have to say there were more TFC fans last year than this year at the game. Or at least they were more vocal last year. I didn't really see many TFC fans there

Welcome to the Voyageurs REDsequalCANADA!!!

Things are heated in here lately because of the Voyageurs cup game last week. Don't worry about that.

One thing I'd love to get off my chest, and so I will. Some of the people in this group need to work in their generalization. Not all Torontonians sip cappucinos and support Italian teams. That's more of a Canadian-Italian thing. Why the hell Torotonian soccer fans are getting asked questions like.. "why is the CBC in Toronto"... forget it, I'm not even going there. Any notion of fans who have been supporting teams longer than others are superior is absolutely retarded. If you hate TFC and SOME of their supporters, go for it, but please be specific. If you hate me because I was born in our largest city, go suck on a baseball bat you bigot.

As for the political stuff, ie. Federal funding and West coast vs. Ontario... etc... please take that stuff elsewhere, or to a political forum, or at least start a thread on it. I've never understood people hating on individuals for things that their governments do.

Can't we all just get along???

Oh and the name of this thread? You mean Toronto or TFC? You wanna hate my team, go for it. You hate your fellow Voyageur and countryman because of what city he was born in? There's names for people like that.

...and yet they've never been to BMO in their lives. All I can say is I'm glad they're your fans and not ours...

So because I've never seen a game at BMO I'm a plastic fan?

Wow, I wish I had've known that before. Then I wouldn't have had to spend $1000 to travel for a 4-Day Weekend in Montreal in order to catch my first TFC game (after all, tickets at BMO are almost impossible to get ahold of). If somebody had've let me know beforehand that I'm a fake fan I could've stayed home and watch the game on TV instead of being there to watch TFC lift it's first trophy.

Kyam.. Stade Saputo has grass...so a good federal investment if they make one to help expansion and getting a MLS franchise, also remember the CSA kicked in money to help Toronto City Hall build the stadium...

ps.. did you get any St. Albert Cheese Curds this weekend ?

Funny you ask, I live in Ottawa, not very far from St. Albert and made a stop over on my way to a farmers market.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Wow... we certainly don't hate you Torontonians for being "too Euro", I'll tell you that.

And to address the omnipresent, and ever stupid, kyam: Saputo only asked for gov,t funding because he tried going it alone last time, failed, and said, "If Toronto doesn't have to pay their whole bill, why the fuck should I?" And the equilization payments are a bit different than people from Yellowknife to St. Anthony paying for people to play soccer in Toronto.

Can't think of anything more creative eh? For your info, Quebec is the largest recipient of Equalization. Yes it goes to social programs rather than Soccer, so if its a province like Quebec receiving this type of money, I can see the outrage.

Considering its a "donor" province receiving it (at the time), why complain?

No offense to Quebec, I'm not that against Saputo receiving funding to expand and help Canadian Soccer, but I'm not the one complaining about Federal Funding at BMO.

You know, when I saw the title of this topic last night I thought to myself. "Why don't you just stick a lit cigarette in my eye?" But for the wee bit of snarly here & there, all-in-all a kinda interesting social study isn't it?

^^^^ You have to wonder if a citizens of a realively new country (ie. void of previous internal wars, different customs, historically different gene pools) like Canada can't get along, what hope is there in the world? I mean, we're all here obviously because we have one united cause, which is to support a very underfunded and potential terminal underdog like Canada National Team, but that's no reason to not hate each other purely based on what city or province we're from.

Any of you guys ever see the Players Haters Ball on Chappelle? HATE! HATE! HATE!

I bet the US eqivalent of this site has less segregation between their members.

Fans out West, and in le Belle Provence, and in the GTA... they're pretty much all the same wherever you go. The huge and vast majority being Sunday fans who know little about the the sport other than the big names - mostly soccer Mom's and Dad's taking little kids, co-workers, adult rec players, etc. Virtually all great positive fun-seeking "lovers" of the sport and the team voting with their wallets. What franchises are built on.

The other extremely small group is the knowledgeable core who know the players, the lineups, past results, history, off-the-field politics, etc. It's composed of two factions: those who are fans of the game first, and those who are fans of their team first.

The fans of the game are almost always pure class and respect in every single way. They're also more than likely involved in the game in some way and are the small group of people who contribute the most to the game in Canada.

The other group are almost always where the problems lie because they don't have the basic respect for the game itself to act as their compass. And as we've seen this week, when you mix in a heartbreaking result with people who are either bitter and angry in general or incapable of independent thought you have a dangerous combination.

Had Montreal or Vancouver broken Toronto's hearts, would the reaction have been different? I think the only thing it would have done is point out the crankpots and crackpots in the GTA instead of Vancouver or Montreal.

We'd hate TFC, and MLSE for that matter, less if they could take just a little bit of time to educate the ignorant media, which is all based in TO to begin with so it shouldn't be hard, to quit using the incomprehensible nickname "The FC" and at least use TFC instead. I don't know what the guys at CBC, Sportsnet, or any of the other sports channels do when they do research (do they even bother?) on TFC games, but they continue to use The FC to refer to TFC. Drives me up the wall. Surely MLSE can't be that daft to not realize how much that must irk footy fans across the country to hear The FC after three years of the team's existence.

So basically:

1) It's TFCs' fault that the "eastern media" in this country who don't know much about Soccer and went goo-goo over a new team in an American league? And the ones in the know, (James Sharman and Nigel Reed are English, Craig Forrest is from Vancouver) is that Toronto's fault too? Alot of the Toronto-based eastern media are actually from places other than Toronto; Gaillard, Osmak and Fay from RSN and half of the TSN staff - Dutchy, Reda, Orlesky, Miller, Dreger, Lalji, etc. If you try to ignore the fact that they broadcast from Toronto they're actually quite representative of the country as a whole.

2) BMO Field was built as the centrepiece of the 2007 U20WC, so the comparison to the 2010 Olympics is quite valid. In fact, you're getting ALOT more tax dollars then we are.

As far as Kerfoots problems, aren't Vancouver City council the ones holding everything up? He wants to build the stadium with his own money so there's no issue with Federal politics, it's all about land use. Hard to blame us easterners for that.

4) Because a bunch of dumb-ass Vancouverites cheer for TFC that's reason enough to hate them? Isn't that an issue with your own people? That's like me hating the Sens or Habs because they have fans cheering for them when they come to Toronto. There have to be alot better reasons to hate a team other than that lame excuse.

Archived