TORONTO HATED????

Minister: Torontonians a 'bunch of babies'

Thu Jun 25, 7:20 AM

Economic Development and Trade Minister Sandra Pupatello has apologized for calling Torontonians a "bunch of babies" in their response to the garbage strike. ADVERTISEMENT

At a news conference promoting a cabinet shuffle yesterday morning, Pupatello, who hails from Windsor, was asked what she thinks about the reaction of Toronto resident to the city's strike.

When leaving the room, she said to one reporter, "bunch of babies."

The comment appeared to be a joke, but Pupatello later issued an apology for her "off-the-cuff remark" comparing the 11-week Windsor strike to the three-day-old Toronto strike. "I apologize for my comment," Pupatello said. "In both communities, people and businesses are being inconvenienced. I urge both sides, in Windsor and Toronto, to keep working at the negotiating table to resolve their issues quickly."

Windsor workers, including their garbage collectors, walked off the job back in April to protect post-retirement benefits for new hires.

In Toronto, 24,000 inside and outside workers went on strike Monday morning, shutting down city-run pools and daycares, and cancelling island ferry service and garbage collection.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Growing up in Vancouver, I never hated Toronto. I pitied Torontonians for the utter patheticness of the Leafs, held it at arm's length due to the obnoxiousness of some TO relatives, but generally just ignored it. The root of my hatred of the place came in my late teens when after a solid decade of unbroken ineptitude, the Leafs put together a few seasons of slightly-better-than-average performances. All of a sudden, I was expected to accept that 1)Doug Gilmour was the best hockey player in the world (are you greating kidding me?), 2)the Leafs were somehow Canada's default team (sound familiar), despite the fact that any imbecile can see that the Habs still pull more fans in opposition rinks across Canada, 3)the Leafs somehow deserved to win the Stanley Cup in '93 and '94 even at the expense of superior Canada-based teams. The fact that these years corresponded with the same bull**** 'Canada's team' hype about the Blue Jays while the national media blatantly ignored the Expos (even when the '94 Expos were the best baseball team to ever play out of a Canadian city). It all climaxed for me during Game Three of the Canucks-Leafs Campbell Conference final (I was at the Coliseum for that one), when the national media basically abandoned even the merest hint of objectivity. Ever since, I honestly wouldn't piss on Toronto if it was on fire. The short existence of TFC and 'the fans who invented football support in North America' has done nothing to change my feelings. Toronto people can say whatever they want about me or my feelings for them, but I couldn't give a great. I'm from the greatest city in Canada and the world and TO can get greated for all I care.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

Growing up in Vancouver, I never hated Toronto. I pitied Torontonians for the utter patheticness of the Leafs, held it at arm's length due to the obnoxiousness of some TO relatives, but generally just ignored it. The root of my hatred of the place came in my late teens when after a solid decade of unbroken ineptitude, the Leafs put together a few seasons of slightly-better-than-average performances. All of a sudden, I was expected to accept that 1)Doug Gilmour was the best hockey player in the world (are you greating kidding me?), 2)the Leafs were somehow Canada's default team (sound familiar), despite the fact that any imbecile can see that the Habs still pull more fans in opposition rinks across Canada, 3)the Leafs somehow deserved to win the Stanley Cup in '93 and '94 even at the expense of superior Canada-based teams. The fact that these years corresponded with the same bull**** 'Canada's team' hype about the Blue Jays while the national media blatantly ignored the Expos (even when the '94 Expos were the best baseball team to ever play out of a Canadian city). It all climaxed for me during Game Three of the Canucks-Leafs Campbell Conference final (I was at the Coliseum for that one), when the national media basically abandoned even the merest hint of objectivity. Ever since, I honestly wouldn't piss on Toronto if it was on fire. The short existence of TFC and 'the fans who invented football support in North America' has done nothing to change my feelings. Toronto people can say whatever they want about me or my feelings for them, but I couldn't give a great. I'm from the greatest city in Canada and the world and TO can get greated for all I care.

Fair assessment of Leaf fans. Their are leaf fans across the country, that's what makes it all the more annoying. They've never won a thing in the modern era... I personally found more Leaf fans than Hab fans in Edmonton & Ottawa, but whatever...

However, you said the Expos were the greatest? Blue Jays won back-to-back world series in arguably the most difficult league to win in N.America... like the leafs, Expos have done NOTHING</u>. You can't declare the Expos champions when they were never tested in the playoffs.

Growing up in the West, one of the things I noticed. Everybody that hates Toronto, are the ones that never been. I've got cousins from Vancouver, hated Toronto. Visited once... were in awe, had no idea their was such a large city in Canada... the fact they had a subway network, and a downtown core that never ends and REAL diversity (not just a few select cultures) makes it fascinating for them...

These same Anti-Toronto Vancouverites loved it so much, that they recently requested transfers to Toronto at work, and are now living their...

quote:Originally posted by kyam

Fair assessment of Leaf fans. Their are leaf fans across the country, that's what makes it all the more annoying. They've never won a thing in the modern era... I personally found more Leaf fans than Hab fans in Edmonton & Ottawa, but whatever...

However, you said the Expos were the greatest? Blue Jays won back-to-back world series in arguably the most difficult league to win in N.America... like the leafs, Expos have done NOTHING</u>. You can't declare the Expos champions when they were never tested in the playoffs.

Growing up in the West, one of the things I noticed. Everybody that hates Toronto, are the ones that never been. I've got cousins from Vancouver, hated Toronto. Visited once... were in awe, had no idea their was such a large city in Canada... the fact they had a subway network, and a downtown core that never ends and REAL diversity (not just a few select cultures) makes it fascinating for them...

These same Anti-Toronto Vancouverites loved it so much, that they recently requested transfers to Toronto at work, and are now living their...

I hate Torontonians because they don't know the difference between their and there!

I know what you mean. I know too many people that dislike Toronto,

for various reasons, but mainly for perception rather than experience.

Same people have similar ideas about Montreal and Quebecers, too.

I personally LOVE Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Toronto has

everything, BMO field is a great venue, and TFC has, IMO, produced

some respectability for Canada in MLS. I even have a subscription

to Toronto Life and Raptors TV.

The Leafs, on the other hand ... yeesh.

I don't hate TFC, I watch them on tv and hope they do well in the CL as Canada's representative. I don't beleive there is a rabid IMFC/TFC rivalry just because the media tells me there is. Let's wait a few years to start talking Habs/Leafs, shall we?

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I don't hate TFC, I watch them on tv and hope they do well in the CL as Canada's representative. I don't beleive there is a rabid IMFC/TFC rivalry just because the media tells me there is. Let's wait a few years to start talking Habs/Leafs, shall we?

What media?

The media largely ignores soccer, still. So no, the media is not responsible for creating that rivalry.

The fans created this rivalry.

I'm not sure there's a true rivalry between the players of the 2 teams. MTL players would've more reasons to be rivals with the Whitecaps, who they've played against 11 times since last season, than being rival with TFC who they've played 4 times in the history of the club.

I understand the leafs have not won the cup since 67 but The Canucks joined the league in 1970! Being from Toronto I'm pretty sure that's only 3 years after we one our last cup! meaning..........you ready?...........here it comes...YOU STILL HAVE NOT WON **** !!!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I thought Kyam was someone from Toronto who lives in Ottawa. If he is from Ottawa and is posting like he is then that is even more pathetic.

From what I understand, he is from Western Canada, now living in Toronto.

Not sure why that matters, though.

It was joke anyway. It doesn't really matter if he is their or their!;)

Ha... like the pun, but whats really pathetic is somebody who can't seem to address the point....tabernouche, your worst than a politician! ;)

For the record, I'm from Red Deer, Alberta now living in Ottawa. I've lived in Toronto for a bit, but I've also lived in Montreal. Doesn't matter where I'm from, I even know francophones that support TFC.

What's fact is that I've been to many Impact games as a neutral at Claude Robillard (and secretly supported the Impact against American opponents), yet I found the atmosphere at BMO incomparable...

From what I've seen so far, Ottawa is more TFC than anything... Might be different in the Gatineau side, but even then...

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Fine. If we are more similar to Australia, then my original point still stands. Australia's major media centre is Sydney. It's capital is not Sydney.

Good, so now we can agree. As I said, the only thing that got my back up was the constant comparison to the USA in this country when there are other countries that are much more similar in certain ways.

Still, I'm sure there are people in Perth who get tired of hearing about Sydney all the time.

I hate Torontonians because they don't know the difference between their and there!

People not knowing the difference between there/their/they're and then/than and to/too, etc. is like nails on a chalkboard.

I've been to Toronto. In fact, I was there last week. I still think it blows and can't hold a candle to Vancouver. Montreal is a far cooler town that TO. And the '94 Expos were far and away the best team in baseball and waltzing to the World Series when they were robbed by the players' strike. The national media largely ignored them. In my opinion, that Expos team was superior to the Blue Jays' team that won the previous two World Series.

Montreal is a far cooler town that TO. And the '94 Expos were far and away the best team in baseball and waltzing to the World Series when they were robbed by the players' strike. The national media largely ignored them. In my opinion, that Expos team was superior to the Blue Jays' team that won the previous two World Series.

Good thing thats your opinion... Nearly everyone I know who live in Toronto originated from other cities in Canada (including many from Vancouver)... but you judge a city by a few visits here and there.

I've spent time in Vancouver as well. The good? I have family. The bad... it has next to no night life and doesn't even have a SUBWAY system for a city its size. And don't tell me I didn't go out much, because I spent most my time in Yaletown and the downtown Westside, while I worked at a brewery in Granville Island.

Montreal is a cool city, loved every minute I spent their. I personally prefer Toronto. Its bigger and u can get food from the most remote parts of the world. But I'd move back to Montreal in a heartbeat.

Honestly, you don't want to argue with me on Cities in Canada. I've lived\worked in almost every Big 6 city except Calgary. Being from Red Deer, I think its fair to say that I'm a neutral on this matter.

And why are you talking about Baseball? Baseball sucks...its the most boring sport and nobody gives a crap... and BTW, like the Expos 94 Boston Bruins were 1st in the East this year... where did they go?

Brian Burke and the Leafs reception at the draft tonight really warmed my heart!

Brian Burke = overrated! God I hate that man... he's about as classy as the Leafs. But his encounter with Ottawa GM Brian Murray was pretty funny :)

Archived