TORONTO HATED????

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

We'd hate TFC, and MLSE for that matter, less if they could take just a little bit of time to educate the ignorant media, which is all based in TO to begin with so it shouldn't be hard, to quit using the incomprehensible nickname "The FC" and at least use TFC instead. I don't know what the guys at CBC, Sportsnet, or any of the other sports channels do when they do research (do they even bother?) on TFC games, but they continue to use The FC to refer to TFC. Drives me up the wall. Surely MLSE can't be that daft to not realize how much that must irk footy fans across the country to hear The FC after three years of the team's existence.

This is the second post that points out hating TFC fans because of what the 'media' does.

That makes a whole bunch of sense.

Have you seen how much TFC fans hate the media? I think they single handidly helped destroy one writer.

Just gotta jump back to the "The FC" thing one more time. It almost seems as if even those who know better are jumping on the idiocy bandwagon considering what nickname to use for the team. I thought MLSE said they were going to actually do something about what name the media would use to refer to TFC?

Just gotta jump back to the "The FC" thing one more time. It almost seems as if even those who know better are jumping on the idiocy bandwagon considering what nickname to use for the team. I thought MLSE said they were going to actually do something about what name the media would use to refer to TFC?

People were really up in the air about this in the first season. Reporters were contacted (nicely) and asked to correct this.

What you need to factor in is that a number of these reporters are anti-soccer, and continued to do this to get under the skin of TFC supporters.

What would you have MLSE do? Hire hitmen to follow people around?

They sent out press releases informing the media of the proper usage of "FC", and Cathal Kelly wrote a disparaging column about it in the Star (he's now been relegated to gossip pages and writing about Archie comics, btw).

All of their own releases refer to the team as either The Reds or TFC. This is still a free country though, and people are ignorant about soccer culture, so using "The FC" is still going to happen.

That said, it's a lot better now than it was two years ago.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

What would you have MLSE do? Hire hitmen to follow people around?

They sent out press releases informing the media of the proper usage of "FC", and Cathal Kelly wrote a disparaging column about it in the Star (he's now been relegated to gossip pages and writing about Archie comics, btw).

All of their own releases refer to the team as either The Reds or TFC. This is still a free country though, and people are ignorant about soccer culture, so using "The FC" is still going to happen.

That said, it's a lot better now than it was two years ago.

Yes it is. Now if we could only get a certain female reporter on The Fan / 680 News to get her act together in this regard.

db

quote:Originally posted by thedude99

People were really up in the air about this in the first season. Reporters were contacted (nicely) and asked to correct this.

What you need to factor in is that a number of these reporters are anti-soccer, and continued to do this to get under the skin of TFC supporters.

Are you referring to Morgan Campbell? I think he covers the Argos now... I consider that a Demotion in Toronto :P.. he didn't annoy me as much as others though...

But honestly, the whole "The FC" thing was annoying. I mean even if the Star is ignorant of Canadian footie, Toronto has always been soccer crazy, so I don't get why they think TFC was "The FC"

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Welcome to the Voyageurs REDsequalCANADA!!!

Things are heated in here lately because of the Voyageurs cup game last week. Don't worry about that.

One thing I'd love to get off my chest, and so I will. Some of the people in this group need to work in their generalization. Not all Torontonians sip cappucinos and support Italian teams. That's more of a Canadian-Italian thing. Why the hell Torotonian soccer fans are getting asked questions like.. "why is the CBC in Toronto"... forget it, I'm not even going there. Any notion of fans who have been supporting teams longer than others are superior is absolutely retarded. If you hate TFC and SOME of their supporters, go for it, but please be specific. If you hate me because I was born in our largest city, go suck on a baseball bat you bigot.

As for the political stuff, ie. Federal funding and West coast vs. Ontario... etc... please take that stuff elsewhere, or to a political forum, or at least start a thread on it. I've never understood people hating on individuals for things that their governments do.

Can't we all just get along???

Oh and the name of this thread? You mean Toronto or TFC? You wanna hate my team, go for it. You hate your fellow Voyageur and countryman because of what city he was born in? There's names for people like that.

The question was asked whether people hate Toronto FC, so I answered it. People in the rest of Canada tend to hate Toronto because of the inwardness of its citizenry.

No, not all Torontonians sip cappuccino supporting Italy, we have that problem here in Vancouver as well. When Italy wins something, Commercial Drive is filled with second generation Canadians of Italian descent who've never been to Italy nor have they ever been to a Whitecaps match. Take it easy mate. What I said was all in fun...read on.

Why is the CBC in Toronto? It's a valid question. Toronto is the capital of Ontario, not the country. When I want to know what's happening in Parliament, the news comes from Toronto...why?

I did not say that fans who have been supporting teams longer than others are superior. The point is that the vast majority of people in Toronto who support TFC never supported the Lynx. I did say that I will feel the same about people who suddenly support the Whitecaps when we're in MLS.

I said I watch TFC matches, and only hate them when they play Vancouver. I never said anything about hating their fans.

I don't hate you because you were born in our country's most arrogant, oops, biggest city. I don't hate you at all. I've never met you. I just don't like your aggression: "suck on a baseball bat" I've never held a baseball bat in my life, wouldn't know how to do that.

"I've never understood people hating on" What happened to the word hate, and when did it become part of a phrasal verb?

I said at the end of my post "welcome to the Voyageurs". I don't hate anyone because they're from Toronto. I dare say REDsequalCANADA has the intelligence to realise that my post was mostly tongue in cheek. People in the rest of the country do have a dislike for Toronto, if you can't see that and can't see why...well that's part of the problem.

"Can't we all just get along?" Well, I can, how about you?

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Why is the CBC in Toronto? It's a valid question. Toronto is the capital of Ontario, not the country. When I want to know what's happening in Parliament, the news comes from Toronto...why?

Why is all of the American media based out of New York, LA, or Atlanta (CNN)? None of those are the Capital.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

So basically:

1) It's TFCs' fault that the "eastern media" in this country who don't know much about Soccer and went goo-goo over a new team in an American league? And the ones in the know, (James Sharman and Nigel Reed are English, Craig Forrest is from Vancouver) is that Toronto's fault too? Alot of the Toronto-based eastern media are actually from places other than Toronto; Gaillard, Osmak and Fay from RSN and half of the TSN staff - Dutchy, Reda, Orlesky, Miller, Dreger, Lalji, etc. If you try to ignore the fact that they broadcast from Toronto they're actually quite representative of the country as a whole.

2) BMO Field was built as the centrepiece of the 2007 U20WC, so the comparison to the 2010 Olympics is quite valid. In fact, you're getting ALOT more tax dollars then we are.

As far as Kerfoots problems, aren't Vancouver City council the ones holding everything up? He wants to build the stadium with his own money so there's no issue with Federal politics, it's all about land use. Hard to blame us easterners for that.

4) Because a bunch of dumb-ass Vancouverites cheer for TFC that's reason enough to hate them? Isn't that an issue with your own people? That's like me hating the Sens or Habs because they have fans cheering for them when they come to Toronto. There have to be alot better reasons to hate a team other than that lame excuse.

1. Yes, the guys in front of the cameras are from all parts of the country, but the big wigs who make the decisions on what is broadcast are mostly from TO.

2. I won't argue with you there except that "a lot" is two words and it's "than we are" not "then we are".

3. No, Kerfoot's problems are with the federal government, which is in Ottawa (until Harper sells the Parliament buildings along with every other Crown asset he's trying to sell. Then the capital will probably move to Bay Street). However, I can't blame that on TFC fans, obviously.

4. It's just like all the Man Ure "supporters" in London who've never been to Old Crapper. It's just another one of a million good reasons to hate Man United.

I'm glad to see my first thread has had such a strong pressence!

But one thing... are some saying it's wrong for an Italian to support the Azzurri if they have never been there?

Or is it wrong for a Filipino Canadian to support Manny Pacquiao over Steve Molitor Because they have never been their?

I have Family in Florida that are born there and are Leafs fans....why? Because their fathers and grandfathers are Born in Toronto and are Life Long Leafers!!

NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!!

The question was asked whether people hate Toronto FC, so I answered it. People in the rest of Canada tend to hate Toronto because of the inwardness of its citizenry.

No, not all Torontonians sip cappuccino supporting Italy, we have that problem here in Vancouver as well. When Italy wins something, Commercial Drive is filled with second generation Canadians of Italian descent who've never been to Italy nor have they ever been to a Whitecaps match. Take it easy mate. What I said was all in fun...read on.

I did not say that fans who have been supporting teams longer than others are superior. The point is that the vast majority of people in Toronto who support TFC never supported the Lynx. I did say that I will feel the same about people who suddenly support the Whitecaps when we're in MLS.

I said I watch TFC matches, and only hate them when they play Vancouver. I never said anything about hating their fans.

I don't hate you because you were born in our country's most arrogant, oops, biggest city. I don't hate you at all. I've never met you. I just don't like your aggression: "suck on a baseball bat" I've never held a baseball bat in my life, wouldn't know how to do that.

"I've never understood people hating on" What happened to the word hate, and when did it become part of a phrasal verb?

I said at the end of my post "welcome to the Voyageurs". I don't hate anyone because they're from Toronto. I dare say REDsequalCANADA has the intelligence to realise that my post was mostly tongue in cheek. People in the rest of the country do have a dislike for Toronto, if you can't see that and can't see why...well that's part of the problem.

"Can't we all just get along?" Well, I can, how about you?

As an Albertan (now living in Ottawa), I agree with everything you said regarding Canada's attitude towards Toronto. But heres an observation I've made through my travels, something a lot of Canadians can't seem to correlate.

- Washington is the Capital of the US, yet New York is the financial and media center

- Canberra is Australia's Capital, yet Sydney is the financial and media center

- Beijing is the Capital of China, yet Shanghai & Hong Kong are both considered the financial and media center

Canada, the United States, Australia and China share the same characteristic. They all have large land masses. It is only natural that the Financial and Political centers aren't in the same place.

BTW, CBC's most popular Political commentary "Question Period" is aired from Ottawa. Outside Politics, their really isn't any reason why the CBC should be based in Ottawa IE: TSX news

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

OK, let's get something straight here, Ontario still pays out billions in equalization. Last year Ontario put in something like $28 Billion and got back about $350 million.

The whole "have-not" thing is something that is easy to put into print but it ignores the fact that Ontario still puts more money into the program than any other province. In fact, if you add up the contributions of BC and Alberta, it still doesn't equal what Ontario puts into the program.

Ya, sure we're getting some money back now but don't forget the billions we still put in!

db

If you consider the percentage of the national population that live in Ontario, it would be quite silly if Ontario's contribution were the same as BC's or Alberta's.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

This is the second post that points out hating TFC fans because of what the 'media' does.

That makes a whole bunch of sense.

Have you seen how much TFC fans hate the media? I think they single handidly helped destroy one writer.

For crying out loud. We don't hate TFC supporters because of what the media does. We hate the Toronto-based, Toronto-centric so-called "national" media itself.

What drives me nuts just as much as "the FC" is "Toronto FC". I'm sick of Forrest saying things like "Toronto FC is playing much better so far this game than Toronto FC did in their last game. Toronto FC fans will surely be looking forward to the second half". Toronto or TFC or The Reds, PLEASE!

Why is all of the American media based out of New York, LA, or Atlanta (CNN)? None of those are the Capital.

Who gives a toss? Why is it necessary to compare everything in this country to America?

quote:Originally posted by kyam

As an Albertan (now living in Ottawa), I agree with everything you said regarding Canada's attitude towards Toronto. But heres an observation I've made through my travels, something a lot of Canadians can't seem to correlate.

- Washington is the Capital of the US, yet New York is the financial and media center

- Canberra is Australia's Capital, yet Sydney is the financial and media center

- Beijing is the Capital of China, yet Shanghai & Hong Kong are both considered the financial and media center

Canada, the United States, Australia and China share the same characteristic. They all have large land masses. It is only natural that the Financial and Political centers aren't in the same place.

BTW, CBC's most popular Political commentary "Question Period" is aired from Ottawa. Outside Politics, their really isn't any reason why the CBC should be based in Ottawa IE: TSX news

I know what you mean about those other countries, but it is still enough reason to get very tired of hearing about Toronto. I don't know what the attitude is in those countries about their media, but they are different countries with different situations. Unlike Australia and the US, Canada is a very regionalised country and regional infighting is common and keeping all regions happy is a very tricky situation for the government, but the media doesn't even make the effort.

I disagree that there's no reason for the federally funded CBC to be in the nations capital. Ottawa was chosen as our capital for a very good geographical reason, however it's strange to have a capital within one particular province. Sorry, I'm straying from the topic...I worked overtime today and I'm tired.

quote:Originally posted by REDSequalCANADA

I'm glad to see my first thread has had such a strong pressence!

But one thing... are some saying it's wrong for an Italian to support the Azzurri if they have never been there?

Or is it wrong for a Filipino Canadian to support Manny Pacquiao over Steve Molitor Because they have never been their?

I have Family in Florida that are born there and are Leafs fans....why? Because their fathers and grandfathers are Born in Toronto and are Life Long Leafers!!

NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!!!

Yes, well done on your first thread and I wish you continued success. See? I don't hate you even though you're a TFC supporter.

Yes, it is wrong for people in Canada to support some other country IF they never have anything to do with the game in this country. I support Japan (through marriage, not heritage), but if it came down to it, and it will most likely in the next Rugby World Cup, I will still support Canada when they play Japan.

If I had some sort of brain damage and decided to move to Italy and my kids were born there...then they became fans of Canada's hockey team while saying things like "Italy's crap, who cares", I'm sure Italian hockey fans would not take very kindly to it.

Who gives a toss? Why is it necessary to compare everything in this country to America?

It's a valid comparison.

The US is similar culturally and geographically. Their main media centres are not within the capital city.

None of this has anything to do with TFC, yet somehow it was brought up as a reason to hate the club.

I could have said, "who gives a toss?" too, but instead I pointed to a similar nation with the same media model.

Nope, I agree with that point. But even if CBC was in Ottawa, believe me, that won't satisfy a lot of folks out West that I know, unless the CBC is moved to Calgary or something :)

And as far as my quasi-in-laws are concerned (who live in the Laurentians of Quebec), Toronto & Ottawa are one in the same.

Their is technically no valid reason why Toronto is the largest city, or why the Stock Market is in Toronto, or even why the medicine leaders of this country gravitate to Toronto, except for the simple reason of historical migration and immigration.

It's a valid comparison.

The US is similar culturally and geographically. Their main media centres are not within the capital city.

None of this has anything to do with TFC, yet somehow it was brought up as a reason to hate the club.

I could have said, "who gives a toss?" too, but instead I pointed to a similar nation with the same media model.

I strongly disagree. We are much more similar in this situation to Australia than America. It's not just you, I'm also tired of hearing us always compared to the US, especially in the media. I guess some of my frustration is geared towards them, not you. Sorry if it came off that way. Back to the comparison, Australia has its population concentrated in the east, with the rest in a long string along the southern edge and one lone city on the west coast...sounds familiar, eh?

I never suggested the media is a reason to hate TFC. I also have already pointed out that most of my post was tongue in cheek. You people in TO need to relax a bit.

I strongly disagree. We are much more similar in this situation to Australia than America. It's not just you, I'm also tired of hearing us always compared to the US, especially in the media. I guess some of my frustration is geared towards them, not you. Sorry if it came off that way. Back to the comparison, Australia has its population concentrated in the east, with the rest in a long string along the southern edge and one lone city on the west coast...sounds familiar, eh?

I never suggested the media is a reason to hate TFC. I also have already pointed out that most of my post was tongue in cheek. You people in TO need to relax a bit.

Fine. If we are more similar to Australia, then my original point still stands. Australia's major media centre is Sydney. It's capital is not Sydney.

Archived