The Official "Go Puerto Rico" thread...

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I,m not asking you to love TFC, just to hope for the best for our MNT players.

When the boys are wearing the Canada MNT kit, they get my full support.

But when they're dressed in the kit of any club other than Vancouver, I couldn't give a toss. For you to expect anything else shows your naiveté as a follower of club football.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

When the boys are wearing the Canada MNT kit, they get my full support.

But when they're dressed in the kit of any club other than Vancouver, I couldn't give a toss. For you to expect anything else shows your naiveté as a follower of club football.

???

Have you read what I wrote.

I haven't ask anyone to cheer for TFC. Some have ask why it's good for Canadian soccer, my answer is in what I've wroted (and others like YNWA have written on the subject).

Simple as that.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Bitterness has nothing to with this...and if you think this thread is in "poor taste" don't read it.

Puerto Rico goes through.

People may not have paid any attention east of Ontario, but there was buzz in Toronto for the Impact game at Santos Laguna, footy bars were packed in TO for both the home and away legs and the sold out Olympic stadium story made news everywhere. so you're wrong. the Impact's run proved that the game's profile is raised when a Canadian team does well in this tournament. And soccer needs all the support it can get in a hockey saturated sports market.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I would love for anyone to explain how TFC going deep into the CCL would be great for Canadian soccer. It didn't do anything for Canadian Soccer when Montreal made it to the semi final before their first big meltdown.

And how do you know that it did nothing for Canadian soccer? 50,000 (or was it 55,000) people turned out to watch a game who normally would not have.

Maybe one of those in attendance was a kid that will hang up his skate and end up being the next JDG.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Krammerhead, I don't know what kind of a day you're having but you need to relax there pal.

I agree completely with everyone's right to say what they want, but guess what Kramer, this is a Canadian support website. You want to trash talk TFC and be all pro-Puerto Rico go for it. Calling your fellow Voyaguers assholes because we all (majority) think that we should collectively get behind the Voyageurs Cup champions is fairly retarded.

You really just sound like a bitter little boy. I thought it took a man to support a team like Canada. Maybe you'd have more fun in life supporting a team like Man U??

On a side note, I'm not talking about guys who think TFC don't deserve it (didn't see the match but from what I'm reading they don't) or about Johnnyranger or Calgary Boomer who would rather see Puerto Rico win. I disagree like most people here, but hey, it's a free world.

It will be a cold day in hell before I take advice and suggestions from a newby like you. Who in the hell do you think you are telling me about supporting Canadian soccer and how I should be a Voyageur? You only joined this board last year, I've been here since 2003, and the old board since 2000. I actually contributed money to fund the frigging Voyageurs Cup. I've attended plenty of international games in support of Canada....and I have never liked TFC. So please take your newby opinion and shove it up your ass.

God I hate it when little boys with little knowledge try to tell veteran supporters how to support their teams. I support Canada and I support the Whitecaps. TFC is not the Canadian national team, and there is no reason why I should support them in this tournament. Please learn the difference between club support and national team support.

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

I understand you're bitter, but I think the thread title is in poor taste.

I know there are others that will disagree. But I think as a developing soccer nation we should be hoping that TFC does well in the Champions league because that will benefit the country's professional soccer in the future.

Okay, rather than just saying it, please explain how it will benefit this countries professional soccer in the future.

The argument that our MNT pool players will get CONCACAF experience (dodgy refereeing, diving opponents, crap fields, rabid fans and deplorable conditions) is a fair one.

As far as advancing Canadian soccer however, Thursday's game set us back as far as I'm concerned. The argument that it will help soccer get headlines in hockey saturated markets is bull-s--t. BMO Field was half full for the Whitecaps game, what makes people think that it will suddenly fill up for Puero Rico or beyond? Or that it will get more headlines in Toronto? Toronto is already maxed out with paying customers. Sure they might get better TV ratings, but how does that improve soccer in Canada?

And like someone already pointed out...look what happened to Montreal after their CCL run. What positive things did it do for them this year?

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^If somebody is saying you have to support TFC, obviously that's not the case. You can support whoever you want. As can I, and I could care less what they do in the slums of Glasgow or Belfast. Hardly the epicenter of the world -football or otherwise. All I'm saying is that we all have our own boards to bash other clubs and their supporters. Due to the nature of this board, I feel we need to be a little more respectful of one another. I'm Canada first, and if you're not, then there's not really much point in posting here. I'm not directing that at you or anyone in particular. I'm just saying in general we have a lot of members who are club neutral or club second. The club first guys poison the atmosphere around here too often.

If they don't like what is being said on this section of the board, which has been pointed out is a section dedicated to club soccer then they can stick to reading the national team sections of the board. I mean really, if one is so soft as to be terribly offended that some club supporters don't like other clubs then really what are they doing reading this? The voyageurs are hopefully for the main part not a bunch of softies.

Mayby not having such softies supporting Canada will help soccer in this country.

^I don't think it's really the subject matter so much as the fact that guys who really, at the end of the day, are very similar, end up thinking one another are assholes for no good reason. Regardless of the sub-forum, people who post here should be Canada supporters. And threads like this divide a group that is already too small. The rise of club football, and all the passion that surrounds it, is great. Don't get me wrong. I just find it unfortunate that many Canada supporters who used to post here now do not because they think many of the other Vs are pricks.

I was responding to JR because I thought he was taking too many shots at TFC who, really, didn't do anything wrong. I don't think it's fair to direct frustration at what happened by diminishing the Toronto club's accomplishment. In the same way it makes me sick to see Jarrek, a guy who never posts anything about Canada anymore, come round to take his shots at the Caps.

I wish guys like Rudi would post about Canada, instead of only posting to defend TFC as people take their obligatory shots. It's important because one day the three groups will have to come together for some meaningful Canada matches and, regardless, making internet enemies is foolish (though often fun). Also, for guys in Winnipeg or Edmonton or Moncton, these bitch fests must be annoying after awhile.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not a very good referee, but I thought I'd give it a go. :)

If some Usector members had come here last August and started a thread about supporting Real Esteli I'm pretty sure this place would've gone crazy about it. And I'm pretty sure people like CB or a few others would've been the first to criticize the Toronto people.

Krammerhead, I disagree with your last post. This section of the forum is for Voyageurs who wants to talk about the V Cup. While I don't have a problem with some trash talking once in a while, specially in a tense situation like we're experiencing right now, I don't want this section being ruined by club fans bitching each others in every thread. I think you have the Southsiders forum to do that and you can go to others fans group forum if you need some confrontation.

The reason why I and some others V's are coming here is to talk about those games, analysis, players impression, etc. We don't need this little 4th grade bitching at the moment. If you want a argue that Srdjan is the worst keeper in V Cup history I will gladly spend a week to argue with you that he isn't but if you really feel the need to announce to us that you've become a PR or a Municipal fan, I think it's just provocation that we don't need and IMO you could go the TFC's fans forum to tell them the good news.

My 2 cents.

quote:Originally posted by Peter Schaad

BMO Field was half full for the Whitecaps game, what makes people think that it will suddenly fill up for Puero Rico or beyond? Or that it will get more headlines in Toronto?

BMO was 85%-90% sold out out for that game and it will be the same for Puerto Rico

I have no doubt that winning the V's Cup and moving into the CCL will further boost the profile of TFC in Toronto and possibly in Canadian sports circles, the same way the Impact's profile was boosted enormously by its deep run in the CCL.

I understand the frustration of the Whitecaps supporters but I think its pretty foolish to suggest that the positive benefits generated by TFC advancing to the CCL are nil.

If you think TFC has maxxed out its ticket selling potential, you really don't understand the Toronto market.

There are enormous numbers of serious soccer fans in the GTA who have zero interest in MLS play or even V's Cup play but now that TFC will be playing "real teams" (not my term...I heard that from a 60 year old lifelong Juventus supporter today) there are alot of people who might actually be inclined to sit down and watch a match. It frustrates me that these people exist but the reality is that they exist in huge numbers. If, somehow, this edition of TFC needs to play indoors at Skydome in the later stages of CCL, getting 50K in that place won't be hard at all.

I believe that Vancouver got a raw deal last night and a hardcore, longtime supporter of the 'Caps should be royally pissed off today. It shows just how passionate you are. Build up your hate for TFC. It makes the interclub rivalries even better than they are now.

If some Usector members had come here last August and started a thread about supporting Real Esteli I'm pretty sure this place would've gone crazy about it. And I'm pretty sure people like CB or a few others would've been the first to criticize the Toronto people.

Krammerhead, I disagree with your last post. This section of the forum is for Voyageurs who wants to talk about the V Cup. While I don't have a problem with some trash talking once in a while, specially in a tense situation like we're experiencing right now, I don't want this section being ruined by club fans bitching each others in every thread. I think you have the Southsiders forum to do that and you can go to others fans group forum if you need some confrontation.

The reason why I and some others V's are coming here is to talk about those games, analysis, players impression, etc. We don't need this little 4th grade bitching at the moment. If you want a argue that Srdjan is the worst keeper in V Cup history I will gladly spend a week to argue with you that he isn't but if you really feel the need to announce to us that you've become a PR or a Municipal fan, I think it's just provocation that we don't need and IMO you could go the TFC's fans forum to tell them the good news.

My 2 cents.

You have a right to disagree, as I do with you, and really why would any TFC fan care if someone chooses not to support their club? They should be elated with last nights win, not worrying that someone might not like the team they support.

Is it really 4th grade bitching here? Or is it some people expecting this room to be moderated with a set of rules adults would force upon a group of elementary school students?

I think starting threads just ot provoke rival fans or more neutral fans is bitching that we don't need. If everytime a club team from Canada is playing an important league or cup game and fans from the other 2 clubs come here to start a thread about supporting team X who's playing against the Canadian club, it won't help the V's as a group. Like YNWA said, we lost some very valuable posters in the last few years and a part of that can be put on those rivalries being a little bit to present on this site.

IMO, more respect and self-moderation is needed.

I think the Voyageurs should really take a good look at who they're catering too and what to allow in the forums. I'll admit that I turned off from posting on the Voyageurs for a long time till recently, cuz nobody is allowed to criticize the National team, and if you do, you get attacked from everybody. Now there is a club controversy with certain people refusing to support TFC, and being called "Un-Canadian" Everybody has a right not to support Club X or Y. Everybody is entitled to there own opinions. If the Voyageurs won't allow rivalries to develop, and just focus on National teams, than let the RPB, U-Sector, UMO2, Souhsiders boards cater to club talk and close the Voyageurs Cup forum. I happen to support TFC, cuz I consider myself one of the original U-Sector/Southsider hooligans [:P], even being far away, and made great friends there. I think the moderators should let people rant and post there feelings. It's good to rant, good to talk. Hell this controversy is developing alot of talk, in the usual moribund Voyageurs board. I'm sure Saputo, Lenarduzzi and MLSE are lurking taking into our chat and fights and arguments. When the time comes to unite for Canadian National team games, Southsiders, RPB, U-sector and UM02 will unite for that cause.

Edit: Regarding good posters leaving. Alot of good posters come and go. Some people can't take criticism well, or can't voice criticism, so they leave. We're all futbol savvy posters, some more than others, but in the end, we shouldn't worry about people leaving. Everybody eventually comes back to the Voyageurs, even to lurk.

Or, you could accept that people are rightfully pissed off, and want to show it.

We aren't all friends, and when it comes to CLUB games, we support our clubs.

Next time it's a Canadian game, I'll gladly support the same team as Torontonians and every other person I'd hate, were it not a club game.

Why do you think everyone should be respectful just because for 4-5 games out of a year, we support Canada?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

BMO was 85%-90% sold out out for that game and it will be the same for Puerto Rico

I have no doubt that winning the V's Cup and moving into the CCL will further boost the profile of TFC in Toronto and possibly in Canadian sports circles, the same way the Impact's profile was boosted enormously by its deep run in the CCL.

I understand the frustration of the Whitecaps supporters but I think its pretty foolish to suggest that the positive benefits generated by TFC advancing to the CCL are nil.

If you think TFC has maxxed out its ticket selling potential, you really don't understand the Toronto market.

There are enormous numbers of serious soccer fans in the GTA who have zero interest in MLS play or even V's Cup play but now that TFC will be playing "real teams" (not my term...I heard that from a 60 year old lifelong Juventus supporter today) there are alot of people who might actually be inclined to sit down and watch a match. It frustrates me that these people exist but the reality is that they exist in huge numbers. If, somehow, this edition of TFC needs to play indoors at Skydome in the later stages of CCL, getting 50K in that place won't be hard at all.

I believe that Vancouver got a raw deal last night and a hardcore, longtime supporter of the 'Caps should be royally pissed off today. It shows just how passionate you are. Build up your hate for TFC. It makes the interclub rivalries even better than they are now.

You'd have LOTS of people coming to watch Cruz Azul, or Joe Public. But guess what, they won't be cheering for TFC. I think it's you that doesn't understand the Toronto market. Again, how would this help improve Canadian soccer?

I think starting threads just ot provoke rival fans or more neutral fans is bitching that we don't need. If everytime a club team from Canada is playing an important league or cup game and fans from the other 2 clubs come here to start a thread about supporting team X who's playing against the Canadian club, it won't help the V's as a group. Like YNWA said, we lost some very valuable posters in the last few years and a part of that can be put on those rivalries being a little bit to present on this site.

IMO, more respect and self-moderation is needed.

Interesting how many people have weighed in though...

quote:Originally posted by Johnnyranger

Go Puerto Rico!

TFC Did sweet fcuk all to win this tourney, they were gifted it by Saputo and Company.

If I'm Chris Cummins and TFC I'd be embarrassed. Talk about Charity.

Sweet fcuk all? They got 3 wins of 4.

Take your bitter BS elsewhere. Your issue is not with TFC.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I wish guys like Rudi would post about Canada, instead of only posting to defend TFC as people take their obligatory shots. It's important because one day the three groups will have to come together for some meaningful Canada matches and, regardless, making internet enemies is foolish (though often fun).

I wish there was more about Canada to post ABOUT. ;)

Cheer for whoever you want but just remember that there were plenty of people like me last year who followed all the impact games hoping they would go far because in the end, as Canadians, I hate to see Mexico or the US have all the fun.

I still believe Montreal winning last year was probably the best thing to happen to Canadian soccer as much as it pains me to say it, but this year its Toronto's turn.

quote:Originally posted by Peter Schaad

You'd have LOTS of people coming to watch Cruz Azul, or Joe Public. But guess what, they won't be cheering for TFC. I think it's you that doesn't understand the Toronto market. Again, how would this help improve Canadian soccer?

IMO, VPjr was correct in his assessment of the Toronto market. The people you may be referring to Peter are generally those who will come out to these matches to wave the flag of their mother country, but don't really the follow the game.

But there is a huge group in Toronto (as I'm sure there is in all major cities in Canada) that follow the Premiership, Serie A, etc., religiously but ignore MLS, USL and the Voyageurs Cup because they feel it's not the highest quality. I personally believe that group is still bigger than those who do take the "domestic" game seriously. I don't get that attitude either, but if that group could ever be convinced to support the local team, the shot in the arm Canadian soccer would receive could be huge.

I dont think anyone can deny that based on the first "two" (nutrilite) years of the Vs cup theres been tons of emotion, upsets and probably long lasting images and memories. I mean the globe & mail called the game last night the miracle in Montreal. I know thats a bit of a stretch considering the two lineups that took the field but I can only dream of what it would take to top this raw emotion whether it be euphoria or bitter hatred/ anger.

Heres to next year and doing it right, have a cup final.

Archived