The Official "Go Puerto Rico" thread...

I'm sad to see such a "sore loser" thread here. I was devestated when the Impact "beat" TFC last year (beat in the never won a game against TFC sense). But I still cheered for the Impact once it was an International competition; and chastised those on Toronto boards who wanted only vengance.

This isn't the small-minded attitude I expect on the Voyageurs board!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Krammerhead, I don't know what kind of a day you're having but you need to relax there pal.

I agree completely with everyone's right to say what they want, but guess what Kramer, this is a Canadian support website. You want to trash talk TFC and be all pro-Puerto Rico go for it. Calling your fellow Voyaguers assholes because we all (majority) think that we should collectively get behind the Voyageurs Cup champions is fairly retarded.

You really just sound like a bitter little boy. I thought it took a man to support a team like Canada. Maybe you'd have more fun in life supporting a team like Man U??

On a side note, I'm not talking about guys who think TFC don't deserve it (didn't see the match but from what I'm reading they don't) or about Johnnyranger or Calgary Boomer who would rather see Puerto Rico win. I disagree like most people here, but hey, it's a free world.

I have to agree, there is some real bitterness here, somewhat expected, but I think some of you are going overboard with the anti TFC stuff! It's not easy to win any game by 5 goals and they did it, led by a Canadian! TFC has been very good for Canadian soccer, I think last seasons' showing by Vancouver and Montreal may have opened Mo's eyes a bit about having Canadians playing a bigger role on this team! I personally watch their games with interest because of the Canadians who start for the team! I'm not saying that Caps fans shouldn't be terribly dissapointed, but the TFC hate and to hope a team with no Canadians beats them seems a little too bitter, as was pointed out it kind of defeats the purpose of hanging on the Voyageurs board! Like many in these part I got completely behind the Impact last year in the CL and would have done the same for the Caps! Maybe you could have issues with Montreal playing a weakened side but I think any of the 3 teams would have done the same thing under the circumstances! That's just my humble opinion anyway! I'd love to see this Impact/Whitecaps game this weekend, that could be bitter! *S*

I would love for anyone to explain how TFC going deep into the CCL would be great for Canadian soccer. It didn't do anything for Canadian Soccer when Montreal made it to the semi final before their first big meltdown. In fact, they lost a coach, and less than a year after, finished third in the VC.

Don't tell me who to cheer for just because this is in the V-Cup thread.

What did TFC do to deserve this?

I don't think Canadian fans, specially if they Impact or Whitecaps fans, have to cheer for TFC in the CCL. Remaining neutral would seem like the way to go IMO. But cheering for PR seems like an over the top reaction specially when you consider we are the Voyageurs and that TFC have a lot of Canada MNT players in that roster.

TFC having a good run in the CCL is good for our MNT as it will give good experience to some of our MNT players. That's how I see it.

Of course, it won't fix all the problem we're having but if Nana and Harmse can get some good experience after playing in Central America in the CCL it will be a positive for our MNT.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Screw you. Who are you to tell me who I should or should not root for? This has nothing to d o with the national team. This is club soccer and if you don't like who people want to root for, well screw you. Communist.

Well, it's good to know that the "sanity provision" has been dropped from the Voyageurs membership criteria.

db

There it is in a nutshell ^^^. You don't have to cheer. TFC do suck. I'm a fan and I'll readily admit it. But like you've pointed out, cheering for a team from Puerto Rico over a team from your own underachieving county with lots of members of our national team on it is still your right. I think it's childish and stupid, but hey, it's your right.

I think Toronto will have a tough time with Puerto Rico, but I'll be supporting Toronto the rest of the way in this competition.

This may be good for Canadian soccer in the sense that if it is Toronto getting results in this tournament, and not Montreal like last year, perhaps some of the bigger media outlets will actually pay attention.

WTF!!!!! 6-1!?!?!?!?!

I wish TFC all the best in CCL - but frankly, I am lookin' forward to Saturday's match in Montreal now more than ever before. Embarrassing. For the guy who said "Sebrango wasn't sat he was off in Cuba"(sorry for not the word-for-word direct quote!) but who are you kidding? Do you believe he actually would have played had he been in Montreal last night anyway!!! ??? C'mon.

MTL threw the match. Simple. No way a team with Vitti and Barrett traditionally relied-upon for goals should score 6.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

...cheering for a team from Puerto Rico over a team from your own underachieving county with lots of members of our national team on it is still your right. I think it's childish and stupid, but hey, it's your right.

Exactly.

I enjoyed watching Montreal make a great run at the Champions League and I will enjoy watching TFC just as much.

That said, I hope Vancouver grinds Montreal beneath their boot heels on Saturday for that pathetic perfomance. [B)]

I don't think every football supporter in this country has to route for Toronto. When Montreal won the Voyageurs Cup last year, the support was mixed - some TFC supporters cheered on the Impact, some were indifferent, and a few wanted the Impact to lose. Hostilities can run deep at the club level, so naturally I don't expect every Southsider to openly embrace TFC in the upcoming Champions League.

Aside from the freedom that supporters have to cheer for or against a team, I will say this, however: the Voyageurs are a supporters group that is dedicated to the growth and success of Canadian football. To start anti-Toronto FC, Montreal Impact or Vancouver Whitecaps threads on this message board is in bad taste. Such threads should be reserved for club message boards, not a broad national-level board such as this one.

The reason why TFC includes CL tickets with Season tickets is because a percentage of that goes to paying off the Montreal Impact to play like women.

Seriously, no disrespect to TFC, but since they qualified because one team decided to throw a game before their home crowd, it wouldn't feel right if they win it all.

And if the Montreal Impact never win another game, and soccer dies in Montreal, I would not shed a tear.

As a Caps fan I'm sad it wasn't us. As for TFC well you can only play the team that is put up against you and play they did. It isn't their fault that Montreal folded up like a cheap lawn chair!

At least I can cheer for Dero and hope he has more big games in the CCL. When he is on his "I dare you to stop me" game he is fun to watch.

Bitter? You bet, and angry as well. Last year I was happy for Montreal's success and watched the games, cheered them on and actually felt sad when they did the meltdown at Santos. After last night I'll find it impossible to ever cheer for Montreal again. That was just plain unprofessional and embarrassing to all of us fans.

Good luck to the TFC and I hope you make it to the Club World Cup. Just don't EVER do what Montreal did last night!

quote:Originally posted by Swangardian

The reason why TFC includes CL tickets with Season tickets is because a percentage of that goes to paying off the Montreal Impact to play like women.

Hey I know women's teams that would play with more professional attitude than the Impact did last night! ;)

You know, in a way, this sort of works out well for Vancouver after all.

No disrespect intended to Puerto Rico's fans or club, but some of us in Vancouver were a little disappointed with the CL draws, as it would have put us head to head against another USL club we play all the time.

But now....

Now we get to see TFC get their asses handed to them by a real club that competes the full 90 in every match they play. It's just icing on the cake that they happen to be a USL side.

I want TFC to win the whole thing. It is good for Canadian soccer. I do hope they keep cutting the dead weight and bring through some younger players. Nana looks great out there. There must be a couple kids from the Academy to replace Velez and Ricketts.

As much as I'm disappointed in the Impact, I fully agree that this club trash talk has no place on the board. I hope the few long time "Vs" who left all Canada discussion as soon as TFC arrived, only to come back here and gloat over their new club's first success, keep this in mind as well.

If you are a Ranger Supporter and Celtic advances in the Champions League and Rangers don't you often see Gers supporters cheering against them

Same can be said of Manure and Liverpool

Real and Barca

Arsenal and Chelsea

Ac Milan and Inter

Juve and anyone italian.

This is a thread, in a section dedicated to CLUB FOOTBALL. This is a conversation on a board where the common thread is the National Team and how we support them. Why should I pull for TFC? Can someone explain me that? Why should I get behind a team that are enjoying the spoils of a tournament that was stolen out of the Whitecaps hands by a Euthanized-by-their-management-Impact? It has sweet fcuk all to do with the National Team, except gave De Rosario 90 minutes of unmarked shooting practice.

Just because TFC happens to play their home games in the centre of the Canadian Universe does not mean I should get behind them. I would love to see Puerto Rico stuff them and expose them for the poor team they are, which was shown to be the case when the Caps beat them 2-1 on Aggregate this year, and are 2-1-1 total in history against them.

The Caps are the better side

The Caps are the deeper side

The Caps were raped by a suicidal performance by Montreal

TFC Did well to curb stomp them to advance, fair dues. But don't act like world beaters...You beat a ****e side that played poorer than their potential.

Straight Facts, none can argue with what I posted without lying to themselves.

Johnnyranger is a troll and a sore loser.

Straight fact, none can argue with what I posted without lying to themselves. [8D]

Ok, seriously, we aren't saying you should cheer for TFC. Just that cheering for the other seems a bit contradictory with the spirit of this Board. If you post that on the Southsider forum I wouldn't mind but here I think it's in bad taste.

Voayageurs are Canada fans, so we want the best for our players and when some of them are playing for TFC who just qualified for the CCL, we want them to gain some valuable experience in order to help our MNT situation. Simple as that.

I,m not asking you to love TFC, just to hope for the best for our MNT players.

^If somebody is saying you have to support TFC, obviously that's not the case. You can support whoever you want. As can I, and I could care less what they do in the slums of Glasgow or Belfast. Hardly the epicenter of the world -football or otherwise. All I'm saying is that we all have our own boards to bash other clubs and their supporters. Due to the nature of this board, I feel we need to be a little more respectful of one another. I'm Canada first, and if you're not, then there's not really much point in posting here. I'm not directing that at you or anyone in particular. I'm just saying in general we have a lot of members who are club neutral or club second. The club first guys poison the atmosphere around here too often.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

I don't think every football supporter in this country has to route for Toronto.

Small quibble: A route is a roadway or a path. You root for your team. [8D]

Either way, no one should be forced. [:P]

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Johnnyranger is a troll and a sore loser.

Straight fact, none can argue with what I posted without lying to themselves. [8D]

Ok, seriously, we aren't saying you should cheer for TFC. Just that cheering for the other seems a bit contradictory with the spirit of this Board. If you post that on the Southsider forum I wouldn't mind but here I think it's in bad taste.

Voayageurs are Canada fans, so we want the best for our players and when some of them are playing for TFC who just qualified for the CCL, we want them to gain some valuable experience in order to help our MNT situation. Simple as that.

I,m not asking you to love TFC, just to hope for the best for our MNT players.

Your kidding right ? How many MNT team players do TFC have that need international experience ? De Ro, Serioux, Brennan all have the experience already playing internationaly who else that is starting needs experience for the MNT ... I think the future stars for MNT will be playing in the Gold Cup. The ones TFC have might not be around for the next World Cup Qualifying !

Nana, Harmse, DeRo, Serioux and add to that Gerba (if he signs) could be involve in the next WCQ cycle. Only Brennan wouldn't be part of it IMO.

My point is that the more international experience they can get (even if some of them already have some) the better it is for us.

I'm not saying you should cheer for them on that basis, just that it's a positive for us, Voyageurs, who want to see our MNT perform.

Archived