The Official "Go Puerto Rico" thread...

quote:Originally posted by nfitz

I'm sad to see such a "sore loser" thread here. I was devestated when the Impact "beat" TFC last year (beat in the never won a game against TFC sense). But I still cheered for the Impact once it was an International competition; and chastised those on Toronto boards who wanted only vengance.

This isn't the small-minded attitude I expect on the Voyageurs board!

I'm disappointed as well. We went through this over on Big Soccer when someone decided to refer to all TFC supporters who cheered for Montreal in the CCL as "bandwagon jumpers".

In fact, the Football Factory was packed with Toronto FC fans cheering for Montreal (in that Mexican disaster) because we wanted a Canadian club to do well in an important competition.

Ya it wrankled but we got by that.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Okay, rather than just saying it, please explain how it will benefit this countries professional soccer in the future.

1. Exposure - As others have pointed out, look at the attendance for the Santos Laguna match in February. The more people watch, the more likely they are to play the game, the more likely they are to become a pro.... you get the point. Many people have said that kids don't aspire to become soccer players in Canada because they aren't exposed to a professional league, well I think having big teams like Cruz Azul and Saprissa come to town will show that there is a possibility to play professionally in Canada, and then the game grows.

2. There has been things said in the media (forgive me for not having a link right now, you seem quite the jackass so you prob won't consider anything I say here relevant without a link but whatever) that Concacaf will re-evaluate the alllocations for the Champions League after year 2 or 3, and that the CSA will be lobbying for either a direct group stage spot or perhaps even two spots. Which leads back to point number 1.

3. Stop whining like a little 5 year old. Nobody is telling you who to cheer, but only saying you (and others) are being jackasses for being so public in your jeering. Why don't you stay on the southsiders board with all the other angry immature children from Vancouver. (not meant to slight the decent Vancouver supporters) but you as well as a few others are doing a good job of being giant jackasses.

4. Calling people newbs is childish and pathetic. Just because someone doesn't have 3000 posts doesn't mean they shouldn't be welcomed in this community. Your post count doesn't make you any better than anyone else here.

quote:Originally posted by Swangardian

The reason why TFC includes CL tickets with Season tickets is because a percentage of that goes to paying off the Montreal Impact to play like women.

Seriously, no disrespect to TFC, but since they qualified because one team decided to throw a game before their home crowd, it wouldn't feel right if they win it all.

And if the Montreal Impact never win another game, and soccer dies in Montreal, I would not shed a tear.

I'd be royally pissed if I was Vancouver... oh wait, TFC was in the same position last year...

The Montreal Impact have NEVER defeated Toronto in history. Last year they were 0-1-1 against TFC, this year they are 0-2-0... (all time Impact are 0-3-1 against TFC)

Montreal qualified for the CCL because they beat Vancouver twice last year. They ended the torny 2-1-1 and qualified on that basis.

Sure a 6-1 win for TFC makes the headlines and draws emotion. Thats completely understandable. But the reality is, the Whitecaps failed against the Impact, and only stepped it up when they faced Toronto to prove something.

quote:Originally posted by Peter Schaad

You'd have LOTS of people coming to watch Cruz Azul, or Joe Public. But guess what, they won't be cheering for TFC. I think it's you that doesn't understand the Toronto market. Again, how would this help improve Canadian soccer?

If you haven't noticed, TFC sold out 3 years straight and has a 14 000 long waiting list for MLS Tickets. They have no problem selling tickets to their own supporters that cheer for TFC.

The problem is not selling tickets to TFC games. The problem is that casual TFC fans find it hard to take a 3 team tournament seriously. However, with TFC in the Champions League, this brings the CCL much closer to home and brings more profile for the NCC.

Tickets will be sold and it won't be for Joe Public. MAYBE for some of the Mexican teams, you'd get a fair contingent of Panchuca fans, but NOT Joe Public.

Toronto's a cosmopolitan city, so their will be a lotta Jamican and Trinidadian soccer fans, yet 90% of the Trini's I know are TFC faithfuls. The Tribal Rhythm Tribe is one of the top 3 or 4 TFC Firms that represent Caribbean and Latino TFC fans...

...outside of Toronto, theirs an automatic assumption that all minorities have no loyalty to Canadian Sports, which is a load of bull... I see this assumption made regularly on this forum... its unintentional, but its a load a crap none-the-less.

quote:Originally posted by kyam

If you haven't noticed, TFC sold out 3 years straight and has a 14 000 long waiting list for MLS Tickets. They have no problem selling tickets to their own supporters that cheer for TFC.

The problem is not selling tickets to TFC games. The problem is that casual TFC fans find it hard to take a 3 team tournament seriously. However, with TFC in the Champions League, this brings the CCL much closer to home and brings more profile for the NCC.

Tickets will be sold and it won't be for Joe Public. MAYBE for some of the Mexican teams, you'd get a fair contingent of Panchuca fans, but NOT Joe Public.

Toronto's a cosmopolitan city, so their will be a lotta Jamican and Trinidadian soccer fans, yet 90% of the Trini's I know are TFC faithfuls. The Tribal Rhythm Tribe is one of the top 3 or 4 TFC Firms that represent Caribbean and Latino TFC fans...

...outside of Toronto, theirs an automatic assumption that all minorities have no loyalty to Canadian Sports, which is a load of bull... I see this assumption made regularly on this forum... its unintentional, but its a load a crap none-the-less.

Have you attended the Mexico - Canada game back at Varsity..can't remember what year of qualifying that was, but it was full of mostly Mexican fans cheering for M-E-J-I-C-O. I haven't been to Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg during WCQ matches, but I do know as a fact that in Vancouver, the majority of the Latino's cheer for there country of origin, rather than Canada. Minorities here don't have much loyalty to Canada in Futbol. I still remember the 1993 WCQ at Swangard where I was the only Latino cheering for Canada, but I was drowned out.

Moreover, from what I saw in TO in 2001. Most Latinos would rather support there parent's country of birth rather than Canada. Go to Renna's, I think if it still exists and you'll see where Latino futbol loyalties are, and it probably won't be for TFC. I can't speak for the rest of the minorities, but Latinos, don't tend to support Canada, cuz Canada is not a futbol country with culture or lack of thereof. That's what TFC should focus on changing and probably trying to get more of that minority out there.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

No, they earned TWO legitimate wins and were gifted a third with lube on the side.

Just like the Whitecaps gifted Montreal with 2 effortless games last year?

As I said... Impact qualified for the CCL without ever beating Toronto... At least TFC won the first game against the Caps this time around.

TFC, with their 3-1-0 record earned their way into the CCL, as much as Montreal did last year, without defeating TFC, EVER!

With De-Ro's strong play, TFC was unstopable last night...it could have been a 8-1 blow out if Cronin & Dichio was able to put away all their easy opportunities.

I think there are a significant number of people posting in these forums that don't remember what it feels like to be in a Canadian stadium and feel outnumbered 5 to 1; or have never been to a CNMT match. Hell, Montreal last summer was a perfect example (Honduras). I've met kyam and he is younger than some of us here and don't think he's been to a CNMT match.

Kyam: I'm afraid having been to a number of games in the past, your observation about minorities having loyalty to Canadian soccer is off the mark.

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

Have you attended the Mexico - Canada game back at Varsity..can't remember what year of qualifying that was, but it was full of mostly Mexican fans cheering for M-E-J-I-C-O. I haven't been to Edmonton, Calgary or Winnipeg during WCQ matches, but I do know as a fact that in Vancouver, the majority of the Latino's cheer for there country of origin, rather than Canada. Minorities here don't have much loyalty to Canada in Futbol. I still remember the 1993 WCQ at Swangard where I was the only Latino cheering for Canada, but I was drowned out.

Moreover, from what I saw in TO in 2001. Most Latinos would rather support there parent's country of birth rather than Canada. Go to Renna's, I think if it still exists and you'll see where Latino futbol loyalties are, and it probably won't be for TFC. I can't speak for the rest of the minorities, but Latinos, don't tend to support Canada, cuz Canada is not a futbol country with culture or lack of thereof. That's what TFC should focus on changing and probably trying to get more of that minority out there.

Your right, the Voyageur has to work on the minority community when it comes to the International Game...but first, the CSA has to work on the team.

However, in terms of club soccer, many TFC fans do support other clubs, particularly European clubs.

However, these same fans regularly watch TFC games and support TFC.

I'm targeting the Caribbean community, cuz a lot of Caribbean people I know are hardcore when it comes to supporting TFC. I don't see them supporting Joe Public or a Jamican club over TFC.

Most Caribbean people I know think fairly lowly of their home countries club teams, so as TFC supporters, I don't see them switching their loyalties.

If you've ever been to BMO Field, every game MLS game is sold out, and BMO Field is just as diverse as the city itself... their are a ton of Latinos, Africans and Caribbeans in the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I think there are a significant number of people posting in these forums that don't remember what it feels like to be in a Canadian stadium and feel outnumbered 5 to 1; or have never been to a CNMT match. Hell, Montreal last summer was a perfect example (Honduras). I've met kyam and he is younger than some of us here and don't think he's been to a CNMT match.

Kyam: I'm afraid having been to a number of games in the past, your observation about minorities having loyalty to Canadian soccer is off the mark.

Nope, been to the Jamaica\Canada game at BMO Field... I was referring to Club Soccer in CONCACAF, over International game (or UEFA Club matches)

No question, Internationally, Canada suffers in terms of support, but thats partially because of CSA's inability to attract fans.

Playing Devils Advocate: Why would Italian-Canadians want to support Canada if they grew up with Italia, and consistently do well against quality opponents in UEFA, while Canada struggles against Honduras?

I'm a TFC fan who was gutted that we didn't lift the Voyageurs Cup last year but I still cheered for Montreal in the Champions League (check out my posts on BigSoccer if you want, I use the same username there) but if Montreal or Vancouver fans don't feel like cheering for TFC in the CCL then who gives a flying frak.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I would love for anyone to explain how TFC going deep into the CCL would be great for Canadian soccer.

I would be happy to. Can you explain how PRI going deep into the CCL would be great for Canadian soccer, or will you just admit that this is just a "G-Man" style troll thread created in a moment of anger and frustration?

There are many benefits for Canadian soccer in seeing ANY Canadian team do well in the CCL. For starters, there are the obvious ones like more money for the club (financial success is always important), more playing time for Canadian players, more publicity and credibility, ect. But you need to look much further than that.

A club team, playing in an international tournament of the world's most popular sport, gives a city a more global exposure than winning the Grey Cup ever will. If TFC goes on a great run and the media make a big deal of this, then the city councillors of Ontario's second largest city will notice. Envy counts for alot in these things. Greater publicity equals greater public and corporate support and encourages entrepreneurs in other cities. The strong possibility of adding pro clubs in Ottawa, Hamilton and Victoria (with Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg waiting for their own sugardaddies to emerge) would be an obvious benefit.

It should also be pointed out that CONCACAF put Canada at the bottom with the other minnows - only one spot and for the qualifier instead of group stage - and some other CONCACAF countries bitched about giving us that! We did not have a competition history and some didn't want to give us anything. As a compromise, Canada's spot was only guaranteed for the first two years. After that, it would be reviewed and a decision made based on performance. Two other minnows, Belize and Nicaragua, have stadium problems and were only guaranteed spots for one year. Guess what? Both were recently stripped of their only CCL spots. Belize's spot is now an extra one for Honduras and Nigaragua's is now an extra one for Costa Rica. With Mexico and the USA both maxed-out at four each, the next spot that is taken from a minnow will go into the Carribean pool - Jack Warner's powerbase. I don't know about you, but I do not want to give Warner any excuse to take our spot so that he can increase the chances of his Joe Public getting a financial windfall each year.

Not a TFC fan? That's fine, but this year they will be flying the flag and defending both Canada's reputation and CCL spot. Whitecaps fans know that they will win the Voyageurs Cup many times in future years, and I'm sure they would like it if there was still a CCL spot to go with the trophy. Given Montreal's fantastic run in the first CCL, you would have to hope that a similar performance by TFC would lead to either a second CCL spot, or more likely an upgrade to group stage entry. That would allow future V Cup winners (like the Whitecaps) to avoid disasterous qualifying round upsets which quality teams like PRI are certainly capable of delivering.

It's very simple guys. Vancouver and Montreal fans both have alot of reasons to be pissed off right now, but having the Voyageurs Cup winner do well in the CCL every year benefits all three clubs in the long run. It also benefits Canadian soccer as a whole. Most Voyageurs know full well that supporting Canadian soccer requires supporting the greater development of soccer infrastructure throughout this country and not just showing up at national team games with a Voyageurs scarf. The problems with a three club tournament will be resolved once Canada has more USL1/MLS clubs. Strong CCL performances by any Canadian club can play a role in making that happen.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am fully behind TFC and we really need them to get past Puerto Rico, at least into the group stage.

You are lucky bastards at BMO, get to see Cruz Azul and Saprissa if you get there. And the rivalry with the MLS team. Perfect. Tough group though, and you have a great advantage in this competition: since BMO is mostly season tix, the atmosphere even vs. a classic Mexican side will be totally in favour of TFC. I hope the Mexicans are severely limited to space where they can be and numbers, because I am sure Toronto can sell that out with its own fans.

I think TFC can make it out though, it will not be easy but I think you can do it. And that is what all Canadian fans have to want. How can anyone begrudge Toronto for taking the competition seriously.

It will be a cold day in hell before I take advice and suggestions from a newby like you. Who in the hell do you think you are telling me about supporting Canadian soccer and how I should be a Voyageur? You only joined this board last year, I've been here since 2003, and the old board since 2000. I actually contributed money to fund the frigging Voyageurs Cup. I've attended plenty of international games in support of Canada....and I have never liked TFC. So please take your newby opinion and shove it up your ass.

God I hate it when little boys with little knowledge try to tell veteran supporters how to support their teams. I support Canada and I support the Whitecaps. TFC is not the Canadian national team, and there is no reason why I should support them in this tournament. Please learn the difference between club support and national team support.

Hahahahahaha.

Well... first of all Krammerhead, let me explain how things like this work. Yes, I'm a newby (joined this board last year and went to my first Canadian men's game in 2007). You know what that makes me? Just as big of a fan as you dumbass. You think that I will have any more prestige than some kid that will hopefully join us two years down the road? "Who do I think I am", I'm the guy that can and will write whatever the hell I feel like writing and if you don't like that I'll send you my address in spain and a link to some cheap airlines. It's great that you've been supporting the team for so long. I mean that quite sincerely. You want more recognition than that? Ok I'll try.

Krammerhead... congragulations on being a full blown soccer dork for longer than me. If it wasn't for guys like you here on this board and scattered across our huge country, our national team would be in even more dire straights than it is now. Thank you man. You truly are my hero. I can only hope to be a Voyageur for half as long as you so that little kids can look at me with the respect and fear that I will goddamn well deserve! I will in the future try to keep my comments towards elder members in check. In fact... should "newbies" even be allowed to talk with you older and "real" members? I'm not so sure...

Anyways, on to reality. I think I do have somewhat of an understanding between international and club competition. However... this is Canadian soccer. We suck. We suck so hard we only have three teams in our Canadian cup. That's pathetic. Our national team is so short of talent that we can't even field one solid squad. Our country doesn't have the money to give us real games during the year, or even hire a coach that could help us out. We might not make the world cup for another 20 years. We might not be able to support a canadian club league in the foreseeable future. So um... I think the differences between Rangers fans booing for Celtic when they're up against european competition and our sad and ever so pathetic situation is pretty fukcing vast. That's why we should cheer on our brother teams. Because we're on in this ****hole together. Even with all of these great things going on we need every inch of money, publicity, media support.. oh hell. Lots of other guys have already written great points on this. You don't want to accept what's in front of you I'm not going to waste my time.

However... you have made me see some light. From now on I want only senior voyaguers writting on my threads. Any newby's in here (joined this year) cannot speak to me directly. Please write to one of the moderators who will then pass it along. I will also from this point on by reffering to myself only in the third person. Any newby who would like to get some extra experience points please email earlimus and perhaps you can spellcheck my posts (which I could use) for a few months, thereby giving yourself a little prestige. Don't expect too much though. Old, ancient, and great organizations like the Voyageurs take time and effort to ascend through. I believe we're the antagonists in Dan Brown's new and upcoming novel in fact. All hail Voyageurs!!!! And Krammerhead, one of our most illustrious and senior members. Earlimus commands it!

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Hahahahahaha.

Well... first of all Krammerhead, let me explain how things like this work. Yes, I'm a newby (joined this board last year and went to my first Canadian men's game in 2007). You know what that makes me? Just as big of a fan as you dumbass. You think that I will have any more prestige than some kid that will hopefully join us two years down the road? "Who do I think I am", I'm the guy that can and will write whatever the hell I feel like writing and if you don't like that I'll send you my address in spain and a link to some cheap airlines. It's great that you've been supporting the team for so long. I mean that quite sincerely. You want more recognition than that? Ok I'll try.

Krammerhead... congragulations on being a full blown soccer dork for longer than me. If it wasn't for guys like you here on this board and scattered across our huge country, our national team would be in even more dire straights than it is now. Thank you man. You truly are my hero. I can only hope to be a Voyageur for half as long as you so that little kids can look at me with the respect and fear that I will goddamn well deserve! I will in the future try to keep my comments towards elder members in check. In fact... should "newbies" even be allowed to talk with you older and "real" members? I'm not so sure...

Anyways, on to reality. I think I do have somewhat of an understanding between international and club competition. However... this is Canadian soccer. We suck. We suck so hard we only have three teams in our Canadian cup. That's pathetic. Our national team is so short of talent that we can't even field one solid squad. Our country doesn't have the money to give us real games during the year, or even hire a coach that could help us out. We might not make the world cup for another 20 years. We might not be able to support a canadian club league in the foreseeable future. So um... I think the differences between Rangers fans booing for Celtic when they're up against european competition and our sad and ever so pathetic situation is pretty fukcing vast. That's why we should cheer on our brother teams. Because we're on in this ****hole together. Even with all of these great things going on we need every inch of money, publicity, media support.. oh hell. Lots of other guys have already written great points on this. You don't want to accept what's in front of you I'm not going to waste my time.

However... you have made me see some light. From now on I want only senior voyaguers writting on my threads. Any newby's in here (joined this year) cannot speak to me directly. Please write to one of the moderators who will then pass it along. I will also from this point on by reffering to myself only in the third person. Any newby who would like to get some extra experience points please email earlimus and perhaps you can spellcheck my posts (which I could use) for a few months, thereby giving yourself a little prestige. Don't expect too much though. Old, ancient, and great organizations like the Voyageurs take time and effort to ascend through. I believe we're the antagonists in Dan Brown's new and upcoming novel in fact. All hail Voyageurs!!!! And Krammerhead, one of our most illustrious and senior members. Earlimus commands it!

HEY EARLIMUS, show some respect to Lord Krammerhead.

He is a veteran couch potato fan, probably never played a sport at the rep, semi-pro or pro-level in his life. But hey, he donated a few hundred bucks to the Voyageur Cup, so this makes him important.

Of course, anybody can pull loose change out of their pockets to support Canadian footie, but it appears Krammerhead has given up the prospect of having a REAL LIFE, to be a fan.

Hail Krammerhead, I salute you.

I'm trying I'm trying. I didn't know that he was a Lord. My apologies. Kyam, please, you can't refer to me... I mean Earlimus directly. You've only made 76 posts to my 99. You're a newby. I believe it's spelled newbie actually. Sorry mate, you're just not on the same level of fandom as I am.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

I'm trying I'm trying. I didn't know that he was a Lord. My apologies. Kyam, please, you can't refer to me... I mean Earlimus directly. You've only made 76 posts to my 99. You're a newby. I believe it's spelled newbie actually. Sorry mate, you're just not on the same level of fandom as I am.

Earlimus99, me and my 77 posts bow to you [^]

See, earlimus, you are such a dip**** that you cant even see what a hypocrite you are. I'm glad that I annoyed you in your post enough to make you make this rant.

I never posted about being superior to you, even though I am. I was responding to you trying to tell me I'm not a supporter and how to be a good Voyageur. You don't have what it takes to dictate rules. You can get all pissy that I called you a newbie, but you are. I did not call my fellow Voyageurs assholes. I called those who say that this thread is a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed assholes. Like you. And really you should bow down to me. All of the joking about how many posts I've made are pretty funny. I'm nowhere near the top of the list.

Kyam, you are right that I never played the game at any significant level, just as a kid. I don't really know how that has any bearing on the matter, unless you are trying to brag how great a player you are. Does that somehow make you important? It seems to me you think you are. But it's irrelevant. There are those posting on these boards who have never played the game-period. Doesn't make their opinions any less valued than yours. But that dumbass comment says a lot about you. Yes, I'd really like to meet you at a national team game.

Oh yeah, you two guys and some others here are an embarrassment. You seem to have something against anyone with a passion for the game.

By the way, are you guys hot for each other, the back and forth between the two of you seems to suggest some sort of relationship.

See, earlimus, you are such a dip**** that you cant even see what a hypocrite you are. I'm glad that I annoyed you in your post enough to make you make this rant.

I never posted about being superior to you, even though I am. I was responding to you trying to tell me I'm not a supporter and how to be a good Voyageur. You don't have what it takes to dictate rules. You can get all pissy that I called you a newbie, but you are. I did not call my fellow Voyageurs assholes. I called those who say that this thread is a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed assholes. Like you. And really you should bow down to me. All of the joking about how many posts I've made are pretty funny. I'm nowhere near the top of the list.

Kyam, you are right that I never played the game at any significant level. I don't really know how that has any bearing on the matter, unless you are trying to brag how great a player you are. Does that somehow make you important? It seems to me you think you are. But it's irrelevant. There are those posting on these baords who have never played the game-period. Doesn't make their opinions any less valued than yours. But that dumbass comment says a lot about you. Yes, I'd really like to meat you at a national team game.

So you think your a God because your some sort of online warrior that has been posting on here for ages.

But somehow, I'm an a*shole because I have more respect for people that have actually played the game.

You obviously think that your opinion is more valued than ours, so whats wrong with me valuing the opinion of those who have played the game? You must be really stupid not to understand the hypocrisy in what your saying.

Oh yeah, you two guys and some others here are an embarrassment. You seem to have something against anyone with a passion for the game.

By the way, are you guys hot for each other, the back and forth between the two of you seems to suggest some sort of relationship.

You seem to like to get into arguments with little boys (in your words)... Do you have something for little boys lord Krammerhead?

Hahahahahaha. Oh man. This is a nice treat for having to work in a Saturday.

You haven't explained why I'm a hypocrite.

You did claim to be superior ("it will be cold day in hell before I take advice and suggestions from you").

You did call your fellow Voyaguers assholes.

I didn't make fun of you posts, just that you have a superiority complex concerning new members.

Unless Kyam is a really good looking girl he's probably not my type, I think we just share a sense of humour, and we know a douche when we see one.

Have a good one, and thanks for supporting Canada!!!

<mod>

That's enough for me. This has gotten way too boring.

For those concerned, make sure this little hissy-fit dies with this topic. I'm quite firm in that. If anyone would like clarification feel free to contact me at cheetav@shaw.ca for further instructions.

Not believing the horrendous camera work from Montreal

Cheeta

</mod>

Archived