Caps/Impact May 27th

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Soooo...if Montreal is trailing by one goal early in the second half, what will you be hoping to happen? ;)

I will be hoping for a Montreal victory. Indeed I will hope for Montreal the whole game. However, a tie doesn't help us at all and I would prefer Vancouver win the Cup instead of Toronto so my preference in result possibilities would be:

1 Montreal victory

2 Vancouver victory

Also hopefully whoever wins will win by a large margin.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so in the case of a MTL loss you would prefer a 6-0 defeat instead of a 1-0 defeat....

hmmmm, I must admit that I would never wish Canada lose that way in order for another team to qualify ahead of another one that I don't like, but I guess it's your opinion.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Ok, so in the case of a MTL loss you would prefer a 6-0 defeat instead of a 1-0 defeat....

hmmmm, I must admit that I would never wish Canada lose that way in order for another team to qualify ahead of another one that I don't like, but I guess it's your opinion.

I wouldn't want to lose 6-0 because that would be embarrassing but if a 2 or 3-0 helped Vancouver win the Cup over TFC since we couldn't win it I would be ok with that. If you don't have strong loves and hates for different teams that is your choice but many hardcore soccer fans do. I follow German soccer and my first hope every weekend is that Sachsen Leipzig wins and my second hope is that our city rivals Lokomotiv Leipzig lose. I had an Argentine girlfriend who was a River Plate supporter and who never had a good thing to say about Brazilians but if Boca were playing a Brazilian team she was Brazilian for a day. You will find that the world over where there are passionate soccer fans and there is no reason it should be different here. As far as Canada goes, there is no international team that I hate enough to wish Canada to lose by a large margin.

In their eyes, the only thing worse than Montreal losing the Cup is Toronto winning it. :D

Soccer fans have an uncanny tribalism which is creeping into the Impact-TFC rivalry. I don't see this as a bad thing; in fact, I think it's rather good. [}:)]

Would one ever want their own team getting humiliated so that a bitter rival wouldn't win something? I can't speak from personal experience, but I wouldn't put it beyond most of us.

According to the CSA, the game will be broadcast live at 7:30 PT, but Sportsnet doesn't show the game being broadcast until 10:30 on all channels. What's going on here? Radio-Canada is showing it on a tape delay at 11:00 according to the CSA, but their site says 11:30 CT (if you set it to Saskatchewan). Why can't soccer broadcasts be cut and dried simple? All this television misinformation gets annoying quickly.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

According to the CSA, the game will be broadcast live at 7:30 PT, but Sportsnet doesn't show the game being broadcast until 10:30 on all channels. What's going on here? Radio-Canada is showing it on a tape delay at 11:00 according to the CSA, but their site says 11:30 CT (if you set it to Saskatchewan). Why can't soccer broadcasts be cut and dried simple? All this television misinformation gets annoying quickly.

Did you select the correct region before clicking on "Interactive schedule" at the Sportsnet site?

Sportsnet.ca isn't loading for me right now, but it did show the game showing live at 10:30 pm et on all regional channels for people in Ontario.

quote:Originally posted by Peter Schaad

The ex-Whitecaps in Montreal make this game a tough one to call. Sebrango will be pumped, Donatelli and Gjertson are solid players and were always good at Swangard.

I think Testo being out hurts...because he was great in this same game last year.

But...he was also terrible against Toronto this year.

Difficult to say which one he would be.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Did you select the correct region before clicking on "Interactive schedule" at the Sportsnet site?

An excellent point. I seem to recall the old Sportsnet site claimed that you could set the thing to remember which region you're in, but of course it never worked, and always went switched back to Ontario automatically every time the page was closed, just like the new one. And people in Ontario wonder why the rest of the country doesn't like them.

Anyway, if you set the Sportsnet site to Pacific, it is on live on all channels.

Mtl has next to nothing going forward. Sebrango, Gjertsen and Grande have lost it.

Haber is impressing me. Gage is ok but missed an "unmissable" free header from the 6 yrd box. Gbeke really told him off after that miss.

the southsiders are coming across on sportsnet ok as well. the :fat bastard"s on the goal kicks are clear as day.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

HT 0-0.

Montreal don't look like they need to win this game. Very pedestrian out there.

They keep getting into decent space out wide but their crossing is abominable. 50% behind the net; 50% not making it past the first man. I don't see them getting anything through the middle.

Vancouver just needs to take their chances and the tournament will be "on" again.

Archived