Caps/Impact May 27th

Awesome to see Scottie make the trip from Calgary for this game. Sorry we couldn't have hung out more.

The Gbeke penalty was awful. Caps needed that for Goal differential as well. I thought the Caps playing at home would have a puncher's chance against Toronto, but with Nash suspended, that may be gone now. This isn't to say that Nash is a world beater; it just means that the Caps don't have an adequate substitute. Did anybody record this game? Will it be available for download somewhere?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my, all of a sudden I get jumped on for saying you guys were quiet.

Sure, I know my team lost, I know it was there fault, and I knew we werent going to win. I'm not surprised or angry at it.

But the fact is, other than your stuff after a goal kick, the KC and the sunshine band song early on, you were quiet, and it wasn't due to the lack of mic, you could hear ambient babble from the crowd.

Don't get hurt because I said you were quiet, and I hardly see what Rudi has to do there calling me an idiot for it. I wouldn't mind if it was someone from Vancouver, but you shouldn't stick your nose in our business.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Oh my, all of a sudden I get jumped on for saying you guys were quiet.

Sure, I know my team lost, I know it was there fault, and I knew we werent going to win. I'm not surprised or angry at it.

But the fact is, other than your stuff after a goal kick, the KC and the sunshine band song early on, you were quiet, and it wasn't due to the lack of mic, you could hear ambient babble from the crowd.

Don't get hurt because I said you were quiet, and I hardly see what Rudi has to do there calling me an idiot for it. I wouldn't mind if it was someone from Vancouver, but you shouldn't stick your nose in our business.

It might have been the TV but the crowd as a whole was real quiet...That was probably the quietest "game-winning" crowd i have ever heard on TV at the end of the match...And if someone wants to call me an idiot for that, fine..i won't lose any sleep over it

A few observations:

IMPACT

DeRoux played well on that left flank. Extremely fast. Full of surprise attacks and bursts of speed. He shows a lot of promise. Only qualm would be that he might yet be a bit young and inexperienced for such a match. I say this because he seemed like he knew what he wanted to do: get the ball, carry it to the goal line and cross it in. But Knight is way to good a defender for the same play over and over. A larger, more experienced player might have held the ball a little more, weighing his options and not just run pell-mell for the goal line.

Grande I love his style. He's fast and cuts the ball well. Has an excellent stride and doesn't hold the ball too long. Seems to know exactly when to pass it off. Apart from his temper, I'd like to see him given a chance with the MNT.

Jordan Not as impressive as he's been other games.

Braz Had a good game for the most part. Still not MNT material.

VANCOUVER

Knight An excellent defender for such a young age. Him and I are the same age I believe. He has long legs and can grab the ball and tackle so cleanly and efficiently. Too bad he isn't Canadian. Imagine this for a back 4 line:

Knight - Harmse (or Jackovic) - Serioux - Brennan

Moose I love his passion and zeal. His throw ins are awesome (the running thrown seems to be Vancouver's style. 5 metre runs to the touch line and a powerful, straight throw) Not sure that he's MNT material but the fact that he plays with such heart makes me want to see him have a chance someday.

Nash Seems to have a bad attitude and quite the temper. It's understandable. I've lost my temper in games before. He comes across as though he is superior to his teammates (perhaps because he wears the captain's armband). But I just don't feel that he's all that he thinks he is.

The team in general:

-played a strong English style game I thought.

-Their lines were rigid walls, hardly moving except for corners and throw ins. They held their ground

-Solid defensively. Game 2 vs. TFC will be a fairly even game. Vancouver doesn't have the offense that TFC has but their defense is arguably just as good if not better.

-Definitely the better of the two, Canadian, USL teams this year

^"Braz Had a good game for the most part. Still not MNT material."

What? I thought he looked terrible. I was hoping the Caps would exploit him by attacking him. Dumb pull down in the box, dangerous play, poor choice on the ball, could have been red carded. He is a 20/80% type. 20% good and 80% bad so far this season.

Anyway good to see the Caps win. The early schedule has definitely worked against Montreal who seem to be a slow starters. Last year and this I thought they would burn up the USL but Seattle's record is safe for another year it appears.

Braz was bad. Sakuda is bad. Gatti is fine going forward but not natural back there. Unitl Pesoli Joqeuviel and/or Pizzolitto are back we have no natural CBs. It looks like crap out there. Placentino's absence was noticeable as Brillant is not as quality, although DeRoux is useful. Having Plecentino back at the same time as DeLo on the wings would really make a big difference. All in all they looked like a team missing key players and which hasn't brought in enough depth to cope.

Regarding the match, I'm just glad Tuesday will mean something. :)

Regarding the crowd noise, a few thoughts:

-Vancouver (not the Southsiders by any means) is a quiet place. Always has, always will. BC Place, however, is quite loud. Don't know about the renos, but maybe we'll get a boost from the accoustics there?

-I never hear the Ultras on TV either. I see them jumping around, good TIFO and all that, but the noise doesn't come through. I don't know how many UM there are, but I suspect their numbers are only a few times that of the Southside. Anyway, 150-500 guys can't be expected to rock a whole stadium. Even our small ones. As K-Head pointed out, the Sportsnet mic'ing has something to do with it too, as I don't hear BMO on SN either. Even on the CBC broadcast, BMO doesn't seem as loud as the first year.

-If you watch Pompey at Fratton Park, a ground similar in size to most MLS stadia, there's actually a lot of fairly low decible crowd noise followed by billowing songs that are much louder than anything the MLS supporters put out. I think this is because these are the simple, popular favourites that everybody in the ground knows. This seems like a bit of a British phenomenon and the Southside defintely has a strong Briish influence that is different from Ultras, and maybe the TFC groups as well. We do well with the familiar songs, while new material often dies quite quickly -even in a group of 150 people. Hopefully some of our songs will spread across the ground in the next two years and we can be ready for BC Place. I think you all might be surprised with the result.

-Aside from spreading a few of these popular favourites, it's not our job to make the crowd sing or entertain the Ultras on TV. We're there to distract the opposition keeper. So a lot of the chants are one offs and don't necessarily have mass appeal. The Ultras can dance around all they want, but Jay Nolly still doesn't speak French. What the maudit bloke doesn't know can't hurt him. ;)

Guest speedmonk42

Just because there is a mic(s) there... doesn't mean they don't turn the levels up and down.

The stations probably don't want to get burned (again) by chants that might'go afoul'.

So things like the goal kicks, they know are safe and turn the levels up.

This happened to UMO2 as well I believe.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

I didn't call you an idiot, Krammerhead did. :D

I was simply correcting him when he used a plural term to refer to the number of people disrespecting the Southsiders in this thread, when in fact it was only you.

It was my business as well, as I didn't want to get lumped in with you.

Montreal was awful, and the firing of LIMO looks like a terrible decision so far. This Club needs to work with a Sports Psychologist, cause I think they are still scarred from Santos Laguna. As far as Marc DeSantos is concerned, Doesn't seem like the type that inspires confidence, In fact If you hear him speak, he seems like he's on Vallium.

As far as the Whitecaps are concerned, was really impressed by their Back 4. Solid physical play, and fast. Gbeke is a Douche, for calling out is teammates more then onece, and then misses a Penalty kick. That type of attitude will lead to his demise.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Just because there is a mic(s) there... doesn't mean they don't turn the levels up and down.

The stations probably don't want to get burned (again) by chants that might'go afoul'.

So things like the goal kicks, they know are safe and turn the levels up.

This happened to UMO2 as well I believe.

Like I mentioned, we were joking with the sportsnet technician when he started setting up the microphone in front of us. He told us it was no problem because it was a directional microphone and wouldn't pick us up. Two minutes after he set it up he came quickly back saying "it's obviously not directional enough" and moved it farther away.

It's all funny really. When watching the games on TV from Montreal, I don't hear the Ultras over there, but the last thing I think is that they don't make noise or that they are very quiet, and neither does anyone over here. It's obvious they are because I doubt they are a group of mimes. Hence we don't make comments about how loud or noisy they are.

Anyway, as supporters we sing and make noise so that the players can hear us. They did and showed their appreciation at the end of the game. We are not singing to please people watching at home on TV or to impress other supporters groups.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

"you're **** and you know you are" came across crystal clear.

"we love you" was loud enough as well.

I thought I heard all of the chants and songs fairly clear while watching the broadcast. I know because I made of point of taking note of the ones that I was most familar with.

But beyond the crowd noise or lack thereof. What most struck me was the optics of the event on the TV. Its just something that never really stood out as much in the past but now makes you realise that a swangard stadium is really a hinderance to the progress and growth of the game. i cant see how you can promote the game and expand the fan base when when the images of one of your primary event is that of a facility with:

1) Fans/spectators standing along the sidelines

2) The TV camera facing grandstands that look like beer tents stretched entirely accross the sidelines

3) Low camera positions and resulting vantage point for TV viewers.

Yet this event was shown on Cnd TV just barely an hour and a half after the biggest event on the Euro calendar was aired. The starkness of the contrast between the presentation and product was not a stong selling point for the game and the V-Cup. The Caps need a new or different facility badly. Really badly.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

They'll have one in two years.

It cant come soon enough. I recall catching some of those early round FA Cup matches when i was still a subcribers to Fox Sportsworld Canada. As far as the bush league factor, the optics of last nights game were on par or worst than that of those conference or slightly above conference level clubs.

^^You only have 1.5 years to come to Swangard, then. :) If my math is correct, six titles have either been won there or by sides that played the season there. Fairly historic for Canadian soccer, I'd say.

And it's actually a nice little ground. I'm not sure what you expect, but being in Central Park, with a view of the mountains from the Southside and a grass pitch with a short walk to the beer tent and port-a-loo is not too shabby in my opinion.

We do need something bigger and better, but I'll definitely miss it all the same.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I thought I heard all of the chants and songs fairly clear while watching the broadcast. I know because I made of point of taking note of the ones that I was most familar with.

But beyond the crowd noise or lack thereof. What most struck me was the optics of the event on the TV. Its just something that never really stood out as much in the past but now makes you realise that a swangard stadium is really a hinderance to the progress and growth of the game. i cant see how you can promote the game and expand the fan base when when the images of one of your primary event is that of a facility with:

2) The TV camera facing grandstands that look like beer tents stretched entirely accross the sidelines

Yet this event was shown on Cnd TV just barely an hour and a half after the biggest event on the Euro calendar was aired. The starkness of the contrast between the presentation and product was not a stong selling point for the game and the V-Cup. The Caps need a new or different facility badly. Really badly.

All very good points. Speaking of the low camera angle, they do have a place on the roof for a camera set up, I don't know why they don't use it.

Per my insider at the game...

"Interesting that the post-game discussion has moved to more about crowd noise than the game itself.

The southsiders did a good job keeping the noise level up, but then I sit near them (and also close to the beer gardens). Having said that, could still hear them singing from the stadium 5 minutes into my walk to skytrain. I believe this probably didn’t carry too well on tv. Having said that, the rest of the stadium was pretty quiet.

I don’t think Swangard is exactly a noise trap – nor does it hold many people. Can hardly wait for the move."

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I couldn't believe there were people doing cartwheels in the corner of one stadium...

And I've been watching every montreal game on TV, and it's very loud, and not near as quiet as you guys say we are. When I was listening to the CKAC broadcast of the vancouver game, some of the words were lost among the songs.

Regardless, you guys better be louder in the qualifications for the group stage.

Guest Jeffery S.

It seems like basic sound technology is only understood on the West coast. How can we assist you back east in your acoustic illiteracy? HOW ABOUT THIS?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It seems like basic sound technology is only understood on the West coast. How can we assist you back east in your acoustic illiteracy? HOW ABOUT THIS?

[?]

I don't know what you're referencing? The fact they took the mic off you? It happens to us and we're still loud...

Leave it alone Jeffrey, why not talk about the game?

----------------

I hope gage's goal spurs the impact to stop mistreating our youth.

One young player who was great with us, Uwimana, is playing in the LSEQ! Provinical league, after playing internationally! Sadly, he isnt the only amazing youngster we have wasting away in some terrible league.

Archived