Caps/Impact May 27th

I watched Gage as much as possible and he hardly put a foot wrong all game. Missed that header of course but was excellent otherwise.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Montreal was awful, and the firing of LIMO looks like a terrible decision so far. This Club needs to work with a Sports Psychologist, cause I think they are still scarred from Santos Laguna. As far as Marc DeSantos is concerned, Doesn't seem like the type that inspires confidence, In fact If you hear him speak, he seems like he's on Vallium.

As far as the Whitecaps are concerned, was really impressed by their Back 4. Solid physical play, and fast. Gbeke is a Douche, for calling out is teammates more then onece, and then misses a Penalty kick. That type of attitude will lead to his demise.

^Could not agree more. By the 15th minute I was shouting at TT to get that guy off the field.

Also props to Ethan Gage as Ed mentioned. He played a strong game. He was just a little too excited on that header opportunity. Next time.

About the only positive I can take from this game is that I was impressed with Pa Amadou Gai when he came in (it was his debut with the first team). It remains to be seen whether he can finish or not but he had a couple of nice chances in the short time he played. If he can finish he could be an upgrade on Brown.

Montreal needs to start bringing in higher quality players. We have been bringing in too many players who just give us depth but don't improve the team. Our philosophy needs to be to bring in players who can threaten our starters position on the team as opposed to guys who are merely adequate cover when these starters are injured. The USL has improved faster than we have.

We also need to start an academy, a reserve team is not enough. Developing soccer in Quebec is one of the Impact's mandates and one of the reasons we are a non-profit corporation. As such it is incomprehensible why an acedemy wasn't started years ago. It is a huge advantage that Vancouver has that they can call on their academy players and not only as depth players but as strong starters.

It was a crazy move by TT (in an otherwise well coached game) to have Gbeke take the penalty. I told the guy sitting next to me at Frappe that he wasn't going to score before he shot. Gbeke is the type of striker who can head the ball in or score from a strange position but put him alone in front of the keeper and he rarely scores (Why do we have so many Canadian players like this?) I am surprised TT hasn't noticed this by now and was very surprised Nash didn't take it.

Speaking of the penalty, despite stopping it Jordan looked very shaky the whole night. It almost seems as if his confidence is shot. That yellow card play was terrible (one foot away from being a penalty and a red card) and he misjudged and mishandled balls all night.

I also have to agree that while Swangard might be a quaint little stadium to visit in person, it looks terrible and very amateur on tv.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It was a crazy move by TT (in an otherwise well coached game) to have Gbeke take the penalty. I told the guy sitting next to me at Frappe that he wasn't going to score before he shot. Gbeke is the type of striker who can head the ball in or score from a strange position but put him alone in front of the keeper and he rarely scores (Why do we have so many Canadian players like this?) I am surprised TT hasn't noticed this by now and was very surprised Nash didn't take it.

Speaking of the penalty, despite stopping it Jordan looked very shaky the whole night. It almost seems as if his confidence is shot. That yellow card play was terrible (one foot away from being a penalty and a red card) and he misjudged and mishandled balls all night.

I also have to agree that while Swangard might be a quaint little stadium to visit in person, it looks terrible and very amateur on tv.

On television - it almost looked as Gbeke was demanding to take the shot...he appeared to tap his chest as if to say "I'm taking it".....I was wondering about that myself.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

I couldn't believe there were people doing cartwheels in the corner of one stadium...

And I've been watching every montreal game on TV, and it's very loud, and not near as quiet as you guys say we are. When I was listening to the CKAC broadcast of the vancouver game, some of the words were lost among the songs.

I'm going to take the exact same position as you do and reflect it back. I can't hear you guys while watching your games on TV so I'm going to say you guys don't make any noise. Never mind that you are there and say you make a lot of noise, I can't hear it so obviously you guys are quiet.

....and when a tree falls in the forest and I'm not there to hear it, it also makes no noise.

I didn't watch the match so I cannot comment on any of the other discussion. I'd just like to express my relief that the match next Tuesday will be of great importance, as I'm arriving home on Monday and will be going to the game with the boys. I'm probably also going to the league match against Montreal on the Sunday, but that one will be a quiet affair, as I'll be bringing my niece and nephew. Haven't been to a 'Caps game in four years.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I'm going to take the exact same position as you do and reflect it back. I can't hear you guys while watching your games on TV so I'm going to say you guys don't make any noise. Never mind that you are there and say you make a lot of noise, I can't hear it so obviously you guys are quiet.

....and when a tree falls in the forest and I'm not there to hear it, it also makes no noise.

I know I said I didn't want to sidetrack this with the quietness of your stadium but i just have to point this out:

And I've been watching every montreal game on TV, and it's very loud, and not near as quiet as you guys say we are. When I was listening to the CKAC broadcast of the vancouver game, some of the words were lost among the songs.

in other words: I wasn't there.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It seems like basic sound technology is only understood on the West coast. How can we assist you back east in your acoustic illiteracy? HOW ABOUT THIS?

Great game by the Caps!

However, I agree with Trident and the others, mic or not, that was a quiet crowd. It might be loud compared to PCSL matches, but Vancouver fans haven't been to Saputo or BMO Field either, so their arguments are fruitless.

However, they did a camera spin around to where the commentators box was, and I saw a ton of empty seats at Swangard. Was the stadium even sold out, or did people who had tickets not show up?

It may have been louder if the place was packed, but with only 5000 people, I don't expect to hear much on TV.

Either way, BMO Field fans in the South-side, where the Red Patch Boys are perhaps the loudest fans in Canadian Club Soccer... yet, South-siders DO NOT have a mic either!

(And this is speaking from Experience, having attended regular season games at Swangard, BMO Field and Saputo Stadium)

Regardless, Dominant effort by the Caps. TFC should take note. With or without Martin Nash, the Caps are a worthy opponent.

quote:Originally posted by kyam

However, I agree with Trident and the others, mic or not, that was a quiet crowd. It might be loud compared to PCSL matches, but Vancouver fans haven't been to Saputo or BMO Field either, so their arguments are fruitless.

Actually, you don't know what you're talking about. There was (and always is) a contingent of well-travelled voyageurs in the southside on wednesday, myself included. There was a lot of western representation at each of canada's 4</u> wcq home matches last year, which can't be said for the easterners btw.

Thanks to the southsiders- my first game at swangard was a great experience! I can't believe how hard it is to balance on those stands during the rowdier chants, and I don't think I got through one round of "we like to wank to mattandlaurie.com" without laughing uncontrollably. Great times.

I think the supporter's groups of all three teams have very different styles. It is kind of pointless to argue who is best, louder, more passionate, etc. because everyone is going to prefer their own group and dislike the other groups.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

Actually, you don't know what you're talking about. There was (and always is) a contingent of well-travelled voyageurs in the southside on wednesday, myself included. There was a lot of western representation at each of canada's 4</u> wcq home matches last year, which can't be said for the easterners btw.

Thanks to the southsiders- my first game at swangard was a great experience! I can't believe how hard it is to balance on those stands during the rowdier chants, and I don't think I got through one round of "we like to wank to mattandlaurie.com" without laughing uncontrollably. Great times.

I have respect for the majority of members of the Southsiders many whom I have met at Canada games and also at Impact games when they travelled with the team. A few of them even watched an Impact game against an American team with UM in the kop and supported the Impact. However, it seems to me that the Southsiders occasionally make some poor choices about what to sing. I personally find singing, "we like to wank to mattandlaurie.com" to be offensive, perverted and in poor taste. This is a website made by his Jordan and his wife with mostly pictures of them and their children. In my opinion, take the piss out of the keeper as much as you want but leave his wife and children out of it.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I have respect for the majority of members of the Southsiders many whom I have met at Canada games and also at Impact games when they travelled with the team. A few of them even watched an Impact game against an American team with UM in the kop and supported the Impact. However, it seems to me that the Southsiders occasionally make some poor choices about what to sing. I personally find singing, "we like to wank to mattandlaurie.com" to be offensive, perverted and in poor taste. This is a website made by his Jordan and his wife with mostly pictures of them and their children. In my opinion, take the piss out of the keeper as much as you want but leave his wife and children out of it.

Hahaha, did they actually sing that during the match?

Guest Jeffery S.

In the Southside you sing whatever the funny guys making up the chants decide is right to sing at any given time. There is no other ethical consideration involved.

If you want to change things go, and make up something funnier that folks will go along with.

My only complaint about the Southside is not loudness, it is sustainability. More on that later.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

Oh, travelling long distances means you must be loud?

In that case, Vancouver must have the loudest fans in canada.

;)

Guest Jeffery S.

;)

And Montreal must have the deafest, n'est pas?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

My only complaint about the Southside is not loudness, it is sustainability. More on that later.

Wait a minute are you saying the dont recycle chants or use green ones ? Surely BC must have some commission to examine sustanabilty issues ?

Oh wait maybe read that wrong are you saying the Southsiders cant sustain a bottom end for ninety minutes when they chant ?

;)

Actually, that was more in response to the "vancouver fans haven't been to BMO or Saputo so their arguments are fruitless" comment.

You know, I watched the Rochester vs Montreal game on USL live on Saturday. I had the sound off so heard nothing. So I have to assume that since I couldn't hear anything that neither the Montreal fans nor the Rhinos fans make any noise at all, using the same logic that some people in this thread are.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

You know, I watched the Rochester vs Montreal game on USL live on Saturday. I had the sound off so heard nothing. So I have to assume that since I couldn't hear anything that neither the Montreal fans nor the Rhinos fans make any noise at all, using the same logic that some people in this thread are.

Impeccably argued. According to these guys Eskimos fans are the quietest in Canada because Nanook of the North was a silent movie.

Archived