Ontario/Rest of Canada Vs going to the Impact QF

How many other supporters will be joining the Montreal Ultras on February 25th?

How are GTA people getting there, VIA Rail? Carpool?

Also, I know this is an Impact game, but I was thinking maybe the Giant V's flag could make another appearance...

GOING:

1. BrennanFan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going for sure, had my plane tickets for a month to provide me unnecessary stress concerning venue problems. So BrennanFan I'm sure we'll meet up at the game.

As for the flags, let's leave the decisions up to the Ultras members on the board to decide, after all, it is the Impact we're going to see, not the MNT.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

It would be nice to see some Voyageurs flags with the Ultras. We're Canadian soccer fans, after all, and there's only one thing in Canadian soccer to cheer for right now.

I'm a bit uneasy with having V flags in the Ultras section (my own opinion). My understanding is that this group is there to support Canada and its national teams. Although we are all Vs, we are not all Impact fans. Canada is not playing, the Montreal Impact are. I am not displeased they are doing well in the competition but I bet you there are some TFC and Whitecaps fans who are (and they are Vs as well).

Personally I plan to be at the match because there is competitive soccer being played close to home in the middle of winter and not as an Impact supporter.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

As for the flags, let's leave the decisions up to the Ultras members on the board to decide, after all, it is the Impact we're going to see, not the MNT.

Agree. (and see ya there tuscan)

Also, I'm no Impact fan, but as a Canadian soccer fan, I will cheer for any Canadian club team in International Club competition.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Also, I'm no Impact fan, but as a Canadian soccer fan, I will cheer for any Canadian club team in International Club competition.

Hear..hear.

Thinking about going, but will be tough to schedule.

Just schedule it in, it's the Q-F! I just about couldn't make WCQ Edmonton but I managed to squeeze it in, and it was worth every second! I know this isn't a MNT fixture, but it's live footy, and not much else is better than that.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I'm a bit uneasy with having V flags in the Ultras section (my own opinion). My understanding is that this group is there to support Canada and its national teams. Although we are all Vs, we are not all Impact fans. Canada is not playing, the Montreal Impact are. I am not displeased they are doing well in the competition but I bet you there are some TFC and Whitecaps fans who are (and they are Vs as well).

Personally I plan to be at the match because there is competitive soccer being played close to home in the middle of winter and not as an Impact supporter.

Agreed. I remember many saying that there shouldn't be TFC jerseys at Canada games.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

Agreed. I remember many saying that there shouldn't be TFC jerseys at Canada games.

Well, it makes more sense to cheer for Montreal as a part of Canada then to cheer for Canada as a part of Toronto, if that makes any sense to anybody.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

And it was a stupid, petty requirement that was asked of the Toronto fans then too. Considering the (lack of) history of the sport in this country, anyone who is blinded by rage by the mere sight of a TFC jersey is *trying* to be blinded by rage.

I'm not sure any Voyageur should feel obligated to support Montreal in this -- it's a club tournament. I think most of us can understand the bigger picture and appreciate on a logical level that more success for Montreal in this tournament is good for the sport in the country. If someone from outside of Montreal takes the time and spends the money to get to the city to support the Impact in this then they should be "allowed" to wear whatever they damn well please. Montreal fans should be buying a beer for any Voyageur that makes the trip, not dictating conditions of their support.

As far as I know, nobody from Montreal dictated anything.

In fact, the only guy from MTL who said anything is Kurosawa and he just mentioned we didn't know if flagpoles were to be allowed.

That said, anyone who truly wants to come support the Impact in Montreal with a TFC jersey on obviously is *trying* to be an idiot. :D

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I'm not sure any Voyageur should feel obligated to support Montreal in this -- it's a club tournament. I think most of us can understand the bigger picture and appreciate on a logical level that more success for Montreal in this tournament is good for the sport in the country. If someone from outside of Montreal takes the time and spends the money to get to the city to support the Impact in this then they should be "allowed" to wear whatever they damn well please. Montreal fans should be buying a beer for any Voyageur that makes the trip, not dictating conditions of their support.

I don't think anyone's being obligated to do anything (and as you say, any out-of-towner is showing 'nuff support just by attending). But if someone shows up to this match in, say, a TFC jersey, it's a pretty unnecessarily antagonistic thing to do.

That being said, I hope to make the trip from TO for the match (not in a TFC jersey).

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

That said, anyone who truly wants to come support the Impact in Montreal with a TFC jersey on obviously is *trying* to be an idiot. :D

I don't think anyone mentioned wearing a TFC jersey to the game before this post.

That said, what you say is painfully obvious.

I'm surprised by the number of people TFC fans expressing an interest in going to this game, to be honest. Something tells me that if TFC were playing, no one from Montreal would bother showing up.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I don't think anyone mentioned wearing a TFC jersey to the game before this post.

I'm surprised by the number of people TFC fans expressing an interest in going to this game, to be honest. Something tells me that if TFC were playing, no one from Montreal would bother showing up.

Game or no game, why would anyone from Montreal show up in Toronto? [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

For the record I was referring to the Honduras and SVG games, where Montreal fans were pretty clear that TFC stuff was verboten.

And, I think that the "underdog" factor makes Montreal more appealing for non-Impact fans to support them If TFC made it many of the anti-MLS/anti-T.O. crowd would likely loudly let us know that they couldn't possibly support Toronto. We're going to find out a year from now...

Which is fine. Just like it's fine for a TFC Voyageur to stay away from this one. As a Canadian I will put aside my TFC feelings towards the Impact and wish Montreal well -- especially the 11 Canadians on the roster.

A

For the record I was referring to the Honduras and SVG games, where Montreal fans were pretty clear that TFC stuff was verboten.

And, I think that the "underdog" factor makes Montreal more appealing for non-Impact fans to support them If TFC made it many of the anti-MLS/anti-T.O. crowd would likely loudly let us know that they couldn't possibly support Toronto. We're going to find out a year from now...

Which is fine. Just like it's fine for a TFC Voyageur to stay away from this one. As a Canadian I will put aside my TFC feelings towards the Impact and wish Montreal well -- especially the 11 Canadians on the roster.

A

Jeez.. Someone sounds pretty confident... [:P]

Seriously?? I think you are over-thinking on this one. Secondly, who said Montreal was an underdog in the first place?

For the rest, who come from far and wide to watch history be made in Canada. I commend you as you are the REAL Voyageurs!

At the same time, no offense to anyone but I don't expect Voyageurs to come out for this game chanting their heads off. But if you want to, by all means go right ahead.

To get back on the subject of a Voyageurs flag in the stand here is my own personnal opinion.

What does it say on the Voyageurs Logo? Canadian soccer supporters.

Is the Impact a canadian team, hell yes, we're actually champions, even if we don't like it we are representing this country (and I'm very proud of it). So I don't see any problem if canadian soccer supporters want to show up, make their presence known and support the canadian representative in this competition. The more the merrier they say.

That was my two cents.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Secondly, who said Montreal was an underdog in the first place?

Against the MFL? Let's put it this way...if the Impact win the game in Mexico it will be the first time that a team playing in a US sanctioned league ever won on Mexican soil. Ever.

History also tells us that USL teams don't typically win against MLS opposition (from time to time, sure, but as a rule..not so much). Montreal did win. Good for them. They earned it on the pitch, but they did so as an underdog.

Archived