Canadian Team of the Year

jasonm

quote:Originally posted by theaub

I agree. We should send a plague to the Impact ;)

Bahh..what for?

They've already got a trophy!

One, I'll add, that could prove mighty difficult to pry out of the depression it's made in the Impact trophy case after having settled there immovably all these years.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

1- Montreal Impact

2 - Vancouver Whitecaps

3 - Thunder Bay Chill

Uh don't they all have trophies already? Seriously they are all champions. V's Cup, USL-1 Champ, PDL Champ.

I don't know what a plaque would do that the trophies haven't already covered but I vote for the Chill because they are smaller, on a tighter budget, do more with less than the other 2. Although all are great and very deserving for their accomplishments this year the Chill could use our recognition more than the other 2.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Uh don't they all have trophies already? Seriously they are all champions. V's Cup, USL-1 Champ, PDL Champ.

I don't know what a plaque would do that the trophies haven't already covered but I vote for the Chill because they are smaller, on a tighter budget, do more with less than the other 2. Although all are great and very deserving for their accomplishments this year the Chill could use our recognition more than the other 2.

I'm not concerned about sending another trophy/plaque. For starters we have been fundraising like bandits all year and I want a break. At least for the time being.

But that doesn't mean we can't choose a Voyageurs Team of the Year. The ornament is secondary to our vote. For example, we could still issue a press release on who was our Voyageurs Player of 2008 and Team of 2008.

And I think it's great that teams like the Thunder Bay Chill are recognized. They may not win this vote, but they appear to be placing ahead of our larger clubs that get all the media attention, while teams like the Thunder Bay Chill receive zero. Perhaps if some of the above named teams place second or third in our vote and are mentioned as such in our media release, the media may slowly start to take notice.

TFC.

*holding back laughter*

I keed, I keed...

What's more impressive? A CCL run, or winning a league? My gut reaction is Impact, clearly. But, then I start to think about it and I wonder if that shortchanges both Vancouver and Thunder Bay. Of course there's the V-Cup win too, so...

Do you punish the Chill for playing at a lower level even though they had, by far, the most dominating season of any Canadian team (which almost makes me forget that they nearly have as many Brazilians on the roster as Canadians)?

What about York? The Lions never lost a game on the pitch all year (Lombardo being declared ineligible cost them four in the standings)?

Tough call, but in the end I'll go with:

1) Thunder Bay

2) Montreal

3) Vancouver

quote:Originally posted by nazzer

Wouldnt the Voyageurs team of the year be the winner of the Voyageurs Cup?

The smaller clubs don't have the privilege of playing for the Voyageurs Cup.

The Voyageurs Cup is a separate entity, essentially Canada's top de facto domestic league. It doesn't take into account Champions League, MLS/USL play, player development, or international play.

If the Chill had any Canadians on the team, I might vote for them. Impact is team of the year, followed closely by Whitecaps for their USL championship.

Archived