JDG rips into the CSA

VPjr

Well, as impossible as it is to determine whether Hart would have had a better time of qualifying than Mitchell, one has to admit that Hart had our guys playing some fun and effective football. But--the big question--is Hart really the best choice to replace Mitchell?

JDG thinks he's a good choice.

More players have to speak up, but it is starting to happen. We need to hear from Hume and Radzinski and Friend.

If the players wanted Hart over Mitchell, why didn't they stand up as a group in the summer of 2007 and complain about the hiring process then? I feel like they are grasping at straws. And now we're calling them "elite." He's doing well in Spain, but Canada is not the only country in the world where nobody has heard of Julian DeGuzman. And he's probably our most recognizable player overall.

Can't you see the contradiction in his statement???

Apparently Mitchell had no experience and had never manage such a talented squad...so did Hart before his interim spell. Someone could argue that Mitchell had a lot more coaching success than Hart prior to his hiring (Mitchell had some USL experience and 3 WYC appearance plus qualifying the team twice without defeat, Hart had crashed out with our U-17 3 times...).

So, why did the players responded to Hart but not to Mitchell. Why put so much weight in a freak GC result when history has showed us how we can't give the GC too much attention when evaluating our team?

Again, it looks like I'm defending Mitchell but I'm only pointing out the obvious contradiction in his interview.

BTW, I love how he's man enough to take some of the blame on his shoulder...

I am not a supporter of the CSA or of DM. Can someone please explain to me what experience Hart has previous to the men's national team post that makes him so muuch more qualified? Maybe someone could explain to why these 'elite' players could not hold a lead at home against Jamaica or Honduras? ELite players do not point fingers and take some responsibility. How many goals did DeRo or JDG score in this round? When they realize that 'elite' players actually perform no matter who their head coach is. The CSA right down to all the players have done nothing to call themselves 'elite' on any level. I hope they have 2-3000 fans at tonights game. That is all this 'elite' squad deserves to have at this 'friendly'.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

I applaud JDG for speaking out.

We don't know the full extent of the conversation, they have just included a couple snippets of his comments, so don't jump to calling it contradictory.

More boys, more.

he is suggesting Mitchell wasn't up to the task while Hart would be a great choice...and that's something the other 2 alluded to as well if I recall correctly. I don't need more to see the contradiction.

Players don't pick the coach. Suck it up and play harder.

I'll say this: Any player who was critical of me publically would not play a significant role for a team I was managing. That's part of the gumption needed as a manager. A Coach cannot and should not allow himself to be disrespedted like this. Otherwise, it turns into the inmates running the asylum.

The players should be focusing their criticism for the CSA, and stop attacking someone that they have played like absolute crap for. I'm starting to lose respect for the work ethic and dedication of some of our players.

you know as much as Steven Hart "could" be the answer and i have a fair amount of respect for what he's doen so far, it's time we raised the bar.

If you don't have experiencing coaching outside of the CSA at a good level or are over the top with good results within the organization you shouldn't have any chance of getting the top job. Anyone who takes the top job needs qualifications, it can't be any other way.

If Hart is truely good enough to be the coach, he can go out and prove his level.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Players don't pick the coach. Suck it up and play harder.

I'll say this: Any player who was critical of me publically would not play a significant role for a team I was managing. That's part of the gumption needed as a manager. A Coach cannot and should not allow himself to be disrespedted like this. Otherwise, it turns into the inmates running the asylum.

The players should be focusing their criticism for the CSA, and stop attacking someone that they have played like absolute crap for. I'm starting to lose respect for the work ethic and dedication of some of our players.

Isn't that exactly what JDG is doing here?

Well I have a lot more time for these comments. They are critical of the hiring of Mitchell but they don't treat him like he's an evil demon out to get Canadian soccer the way Brennan's many comments did. He also makes them while still being a member of the team and when no harm can really be done & instead some good can be done. Notice as well that the most critical comments of Mitchell are not even contained on Julian's quotes - compare what he actually said to what the author of the article writes & infers (and I'm not sure why the author is of the view that Mitchell is a CSA "company man" but not Hart, who has worked for the CSA longer than Mitchell has IIRC).

I agree with GL that JDG's comments are a lot more constructive and better time than those of Brennan or DeRo. Still I have a problem with the lack of responsibility shown by the players. As much as I like JDG both as a player and person, the fact is he didn't show much on the field after the Jamaica game. In fact, I would summarize his WCQ performance as a player who showed up at the nightclubs of Montreal and Toronto instead of on the pitch.

I am a bit uncomfortable with Hart taking over the team. Even if we get results from him in friendlies or the Gold Cup I am sceptical he will have what it takes once the real competition, WCQ, begins. It also seems to me our biggest problem this time around was player discipline and I am not too crazy about giving these same players the keys to running the circus by hiring the guy they like.

I think the comments of Gerba and McKenna are a lot more true and professional.

"We came here believing we could get to the World Cup," said Gerba. "We didn't want to be just one of those Canadian teams that are just going to do whatever. We came with high expectations of ourselves. But instead of that, there has been a lot of frustration and dissension."

"I think everybody that's involved in the Canadian Soccer Association has to look at themselves - players, staff, everybody," said defender Kevin McKenna.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2008/10/15/7091586-sun.html

Last nights performance just makes this all the more frustrating! So many things went wrong, coaching and tatics were a big part of it! Hindsight is a great thing, I think we would have been much better off with Hart, who had them playing quite well! Maybe the CSA will listen to some of these players and go out and hire a decent coach, I doubt it though! JDG has to take some blame himself, I thought overall he played very poorly by his standards!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I agree with GL that JDG's comments are a lot more constructive and better time than those of Brennan or DeRo. Still I have a problem with the lack of responsibility shown by the players. As much as I like JDG both as a player and person, the fact is he didn't show much on the field after the Jamaica game. In fact, I would summarize his WCQ performance as a player who showed up at the nightclubs of Montreal and Toronto instead of on the pitch.

I am a bit uncomfortable with Hart taking over the team. Even if we get results from him in friendlies or the Gold Cup I am sceptical he will have what it takes once the real competition, WCQ, begins. It also seems to me our biggest problem this time around was player discipline and I am not too crazy about giving these same players the keys to running the circus by hiring the guy they like.

My problem is that JDG and the other 2 don't come up as really educated in these interviews. Of course, JDG timing is better but that wasn't much of an issue for me.

First, the reporter seems to indicates that JDG thinks Mitchell was too inexperienced for the job and then JDG ends up with this quote:

He (Hart) had the support of everybody on the team,” claims de Guzman. “But no one above really acknowledged that. He was never given a fair chance.”

If JDG was suggesting that we should hire coaches from Europe or South America with decent pedigree, I would be fully behind him. But instead he's suggesting that Hart should've been the man....now I'm confused.

Hart did seem to have the support of the team but one also has to consider that we had success at the Gold Cup and it is easy to support someone when you are winning. One also has to realize that Onstad didn't screw up in the Gold Cup like he did against Jamaica and without his error we get a win and maybe the team gets behind Mitchell (Sutton did screw up but in a game that ended up not being important). I have the feeling that if Hart were coach and Onstad screws up the goal taking away what should have been a win and we lose against Honduras that the players would be blaming Hart and mutineering the same way they are with Mitchell now. I think we do need a coach with such pedigree and discipline that the players can not do this in the future. However, this does not excuse them from doing it this time. It does show that there is a high level of unprofessionalism amongst some of our players.

I really think more players speaking out is a good thing. I also think we need a coach from outside, well outside the CSA. Our new coach (Pekerman?) gets to run the show through the WCQ for 2014 and hopefully to the WC. Give him time to build and develop a team and modern strategy!

Properly fund the MNT. Play friendlies in Europe for the Euro based players and in NA for the NA based players. Less travel back and forth across the pond.

If the CSA wants to generate revenue then don't do it during WCQ! Hold a friendly in Toronto at Skydome with Italy. 60,000 tickets for sure.

If the CSA wants to develop coaches then have the outside coach mentor Hart or whoever.

Lastly only reward success.

Now that we are out of WCQ I have no problem with players criticizing the CSA and Mitchell. I just wish that those doing the criticism had actually performed better themselves and also took some personal responsibility. It seems to me that those who have criticized so far are those who have played poorly and below what was expected of them while those who have played well and met or exceeded expectations have so far not said anything.

^I'm at a bit of a loss at these JDG comments on many levels. Some have already been noted, but what about this: Julian probably makes a minimum of $1.5-2m per year playing in arguably the most prestigous league in the world with a fairly prestigous club. I don't necessarily expect him to admit that he sucked during qualifying because part of earning that salary is likely convincing himself he's the greatest on a daily basis. But why doesn't DeGuzman publicly contribute more constructively to the reform of the CSA??? For example, he could have his agent approach the CSA marketers and look for joint campaigns where the Association could use his celebrity to raise funds for the team. He could use his position to attach conditions to his participation. Perhaps this has been tried and failed, I don't know?

The other thing that is disturbing is that JDG has now played in 3.5 reasonably large/prestigous clubs. I find it odd to say the least that he endorses Stephen Hart as the manager. I mean, Ronaldo and Nani must have had some input in the Portugal manager selection, why can't some of our players bring candidates forward from their club experience? Some club managers make loads of money in Europe, but many club coaches are on fairly meager wages -even at Depor, Hannover and Marseilles. Why can't De Guzman use his influence to put a Spanish coaching candidate forward. It's pretty easy to do: "Hey Lotina, can you recommend a gaffer for Canada." Done.

I guess I'm saying that I totally understand why a profesional athlete won't admit failure. But I much prefer constructive solutions to random complaining. Why do Vs think that player complaints will change anything at the CSA? Without the players taking their "elite" influence into the process, I don't see a Winnipeg Free Press article amounting to much. It just adds to my frustration.

One reason the players may be supporting Hart is that he listened to them. There is nothing like a coach being honest with his players about things and asking the players for suggestions and feedback and then acting on it. That can go a long way to having players feel included in the process and taking ownership of results.

The vast majority of the article is anti-CSA. JDG mentions DM only in relation to the CSA decission to pick him. "“It’s easy to point fingers, but I can’t see that Dale (Mitchell) is the the problem. It’s pretty clear what the problem is – the people who hired Dale."

I know JDG and DeRo and some others have been less than superb or consistent. I'm not making excuses for them but it seems a perfect storm of injuries, playing positions out of their norm, bad strategy and players just not having good games. Hopefully we can engineer a perfect storm in our favour next time.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^I'm at a bit of a loss at these JDG comments on many levels. Some have already been noted, but what about this: Julian probably makes a minimum of $1.5-2m per year playing in arguably the most prestigous league in the world with a fairly prestigous club. I don't necessarily expect him to admit that he sucked during qualifying because part of earning that salary is likely convincing himself he's the greatest on a daily basis. But why doesn't DeGuzman publicly contribute more constructively to the reform of the CSA??? For example, he could have his agent approach the CSA marketers and look for joint campaigns where the Association could use his celebrity to raise funds for the team. He could use his position to attach conditions to his participation. Perhaps this has been tried and failed, I don't know?

Hey, he was marketing the team in the nightclubs of Toronto and Montreal! What more do you want?????

I think JDG was just being diplomatic during this interview. He's trying to not make it personal with Dale Mitchell. Even if the players don't respect him as a coach, most of them do probably respect his contribution as a player.

The message itself is very clear. This team wants Stephen Hart in charge, and not Dale Mitchell.

Personally I'm not overly fond of Stephen Hart's experience or background either, and I do think that we could bring in a coach with more experience. The fact remains however that he does seem to have a way with the players and if they respond to him positively that's good enough for me that he should get the job.

Archived