De Rosario comments on the CSA

superbrad

Comments are (not surprisingly) negative....

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=844063

TORONTO -- Houston is Dwayne De Rosario's soccer oasis.

In Houston, he can usually take a shower quickly after a game. In Houston, he does not have to deal with constant questions about possibly returning home to play for Toronto FC. In Houston, they do not care about the state of the Canadian men's national soccer team.

All of those things do not hold true in Toronto. Despite that, De Rosario, a Scarborough, Ont. native, made his one trip up North to play TFC count.

He answered questions about both his Major League Soccer status and the welfare of the Canadian team frankly. The answers, though, were almost polar opposites of each other.

De Rosario is happy with his role on the Dynamo, but unhappy with the national squad.

"There's just so much to be said. The players really have no say. And that's the unfortunate thing," De Rosario said of the Canadian Soccer Association. "I should say that we have a say, but our voices haven't been heard. And that's a sad thing. They are more concerned about trying to make money off the games we play instead of trying to put it in the best situation possible so that we'll qualify for the World Cup."

Canada's last home game, a 2-1 loss to Honduras earlier this month, particularly bothered De Rosario. The game was held in Montreal, with a large section of the stadium filled with Honduran supporters.

Canada's first game of the qualifying session was held at BMO Field, which has artificial turf. The last home game will go Oct. 15 against Mexico in Edmonton, which has grass.

De Rosario indicated he would like to have one home base for the team, although there is not one obvious solution.

"We would love to play in Toronto if it was grass, but 99% of our players don't play on turf, and they have no experience playing on turf," De Rosario said. "We want to play in an environment that is comfortable, and right now Montreal is that venue. Unfortunately we're playing at three different locations. And it's definitely difficult. The players want to play in one place, amongst other things."

De Rosario will not play for Canada on Oct. 11 in Honduras because of an accumulation of yellow cards. He will return for the game in Edmonton, with Canada likely needing to win its final three games to have a shot at qualifying for the next round.

Things look much brighter in Houston. The Dynamo, with a 1-1 tie against TFC on Saturday, sits in first place in the Western Division with 40 points. Houston is going for its third straight MLS Cup.

Still questions persist about the 30-year-old midfielder returning to Toronto. It makes a certain amount of sense, since he played for the Toronto Lynx back in 1997, and would seem to be the perfect candidate to help TFC improve on the field, not to mention allow Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to sell its product better.

"We are talking about a guy who is playing for another club at the moment and I can't go into it too much," TFC coach John Carver said, correctly identifying De Rosario's contract status. "But he's certainly one player that I would like in this football club. I think the fans would like him in this football club. I think the franchise would love him at the football club."

And although he has made some noise about returning home eventually, De Rosario is indeed happy with his lot, at least in Major League Soccer, right now.

"I give the same answer all the time," De Rosario said. "As long as I wear Dynamo on my chest, I'm a Dynamo player. I come to Toronto when we play with the national team, or when we play Toronto FC.

"I'm thinking about getting a third MLS Cup first and foremost, before anything else."

National Post

ekoreen@nationalpost.com

^If that's the case, then it's a poor strategy. If they really wanted to make the most money, they'd make it to the hex, where they'd have more games to milk for away support money.

re: Turf - funny he didn't mention the fact that the turf was torn to shreds in Montreal, almost beyond playing. The players certainly have their blinders on.

I wonder if he feels any responsibility as far as Mitchell's hiring is concerned (since there is evidence to suggest DDR represented the player's interests and supported his hiring).

Funny, when the players talk about the CSA, they seem to raise completely different issues then other observers. Sometimes I don't think the players know what's best for them, or the sport in Canada in general.

Ok, so I can understand DeRo's frustration with certain elements of the CSA's governance, but I'm not sure I understand the direct complaints here.

The players want all the games at the same venue, they don't like turf and presumably Edmonton is 4 hours too far West for most of their European commutes.

Ok, so... Montreal?

Montreal where the local Canadian support was atrocious? Montreal where Hondurans flooded up from the eastern US? Montreal where Mexicans from NYC/NJ will probably keep every non-Voyaguer Canadian supporter from buying a ticket? Montreal where the pitch was torn to pieces?

Really?

I think the choice of locations has been OK. My biggest concern was Jamaica in Toronto, and we pulled it off for the CSA.

My more prevalent concern with the CSA is Mitchell's appointment as manager and him still being in charge at this point. But maybe that's a little too close to home for DeRo to speak out against.

Who knows?

Ok, so I can understand DeRo's frustration with certain elements of the CSA's governance, but I'm not sure I understand the direct complaints here.

The players want all the games at the same venue, they don't like turf and presumably Edmonton is 4 hours too far West for most of their European commutes.

Ok, so... Montreal?

Montreal where the local Canadian support was atrocious? Montreal where Hondurans flooded up from the eastern US? Montreal where Mexicans from NYC/NJ will probably keep every non-Voyaguer Canadian supporter from buying a ticket? Montreal where the pitch was torn to pieces?

Really?

I think the choice of locations has been OK. My biggest concern was Jamaica in Toronto, and we pulled it off for the CSA.

My more prevalent concern with the CSA is Mitchell's appointment as manager and him still being in charge at this point. But maybe that's a little too close to home for DeRo to speak out against.

Who knows?

I agree with TorontoMB here, I'm not sure I understand DeRo's complains.

Did someone told DeRo that MTL had a game at Saputo Stadium on August 20th? Does he remember the home support in MTL on Sept 6th?

The players putting too much blame on the CSA is something that has bothered me in the past year. They've played more friendlies than before, they've had camps and the CSA switched a friendly against Guatemala to play Brazil instead. So I'm not sure I understand his complain...

I agree with TorontoMB here, I'm not sure I understand DeRo's complains.

Did someone told DeRo that MTL had a game at Saputo Stadium on August 20th? Does he remember the home support in MTL on Sept 6th?

The players putting too much blame on the CSA is something that has bothered me in the past year. They've played more friendlies than before, they've had camps and the CSA switched a friendly against Guatemala to play Brazil instead. So I'm not sure I understand his complain...

If the CSA was only interested in making money they would have ALL of the home games at BMO Field.

Seems like our players are making an industry out of complaining. And Canadian soccer fans eat this shat up because its always easy to bitch about the CSA. Maybe they should spend more energy on playing better themselves instead of looking for excuses.

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

^

Sometimes I don't think the players know what's best for them, or the sport in Canada in general.

Bingo! they know how to play the game, they know how they (themselves) performed in any given game, they know how they felt during the game, how it was decided and what factors influenced their own performance for that game.

But they dont know or understand the bigger picture factors that go into decided things like venue selection and allocation of resources. Yes, they need to be listened to, but only to point. And in the bigger picture, there is no proof that their views are any more valid than those of CSA.

Besides, most of them spend 80-90% of the year living elsewhere.

quote:We should listen to them blindly?

Some criticism are valid but some aren't...

That was more linear. I'm just sick and tired of listening to him call people whores, tell players to shut up, etc. If he's going to insult people for not playing for their country blindly, then he should have the respect to support those who do blindly.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

^ nice fair-weather support. And you wonder why people play elsewhere.

Fairweather support? You're kidding right? If I was a fairweather fan I wouldn't even be on this site. I wouldn't devote my time, money and support to the Canadian national team. The Canadian national team is my #1 soccer team. They are ahead of any domestic club in Canada or any old-world Euro team.

I could care less if calling the whores out pisses you off. Just to piss you off more, I think Charmaine Hooper has no class for what she did during the Newfoundland friendly. The deadliest of sins is pride. She was the architect of her own demise.....

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Gotta love how the player's complaints are championed until they hit the sore spot that is Toronto fans' relationship with their pitch, then all of a sudden the player is being blind and selfish.

This has nothing to do with defending BMO Field and its playing surface. It was mentioned that the CSA played the home games where they did because of money. Which cannot be the case or else they would have played all the games in Toronto where the ticket revenue would be higher. This has NOTHING to do with any complaints about the surface.

I really don't know how better to say this. I think the players should have every right to voice their complaints. My only problem is that too often it is taken as gospel on this site. We've already seen so many holes in their complaints.

I can't help it if I'm cynical...

I wasn't talking about you, but nice to see you show your class nonetheless.

Yeah, you're a real hero. Keep telling yourself that

Well if fair weather support is loyally following the team since the Dead Sea was still alive, I guess I'm a fair weather fan. If the names Parsons, MacLeod, McGrane don't mean anything to you, I'm a fair weather fan.

If you want to bawl about the CSA and DM and blame them for everything, absolving the players of all blame, you got a lot to learn newb.

^ nice fair-weather support. And you wonder why people play elsewhere.

How the hell is this fair-weather support?

I don't recall anyone in this thread saying that they've stopped supporting the team. Give your head a shake.

Gotta love how the player's complaints are championed until they hit the sore spot that is Toronto fans' relationship with their pitch, then all of a sudden the player is being blind and selfish.

Just like Vic, you must be reading a bizarro version of this board, where people don't actually post the stuff that you respond to.

Seriously, how do you even come to this conclusion?

You'll need to provide specific examples of who is guilty of flip flopping on this issue. I think those here ( in this thread) who have real reservations are people who generally understand what the role and responsibilities of the Players is and what the role and respeonsibilities of the national association is. But you cant say the same for everybody. There are many who ( no matter what teh circumstance) , will blame the CSA first and ask questions later. Or to be more accurate, blame the CSA and to hell with the questions.

So just because So and So one day posts something to the effect that players should have a say in selecting the coach, or venue, or resource allocation, doesn't speak for everyone.

Really? Most Toronto fans like myself hate that artifical pitch, for the record. The biggest supporter of that field turf on this board is from out west. I personally don't blame Dwayne for preferring to play on real grass (minus the Saputo Stade debacle) rather than plastic, rubber and concrete.

I will defend our players to the end of the earth but I am losing interest in some of their complaints, especially when it comes to where they want to play matches. The venue for matches is not something that the players ought to be concerning themselves with too much, IMO. If they don't like Edmonton because its a long hike to get there from Europe, that's a justifiable complaint. Complaining that the CSA chooses venues based on revenue generation potential is silly because, on the other hand, people involved in the program complain that the CSA has no money to begin with.

We all know that the players don't like the Fieldturf but, honestly, they all grew up playing on far worse surfaces than a perfectly flat, very consistent plastic grass surface. One day, we'll live in a country where soccer doesn't have to make such sacrifices but we're not there yet. Somehow, the guys who played on the 1986 WC team got by playing lots of games on ASTROTURF, especially those guys who played in NASL. Fieldturf is far from perfect but far from awful too.

On most other issues, I will side with the players but when it comes to where we play, the truth of the matter is that there is no perfect venue in Canada (Edmonton is far, Toronto has Fieldturf, Montreal fans might not care enough, etc...).

Archived