What will qualification accomplish?

It's been said by those of us who have an active interest in the fate of soccer in our country that qualifying for South Africa 2010 could be the transformative moment for the Canadian game. If we could just get over the hump and make it to World Cup then, finally, Canadians would open their eyes and begin appreciating the game of soccer and the strides that have been made in developing it here.

But I don't know.

I think that with the ridiculous over-saturation of hockey in our national sports media, the average Canadian sports fan (whose interest in soccer probably ranges from mild to nil) has become accustomed to victory and domination. Canada wins a silver medal in the IIHF championships? It's a catastrophe! Canada only beats Norway 2-1, instead of 10-1? Time for a summit on the status of the game!

My point is, if we do end up qualifying for 2010, but end up going out in the group stage (potentially without earning a point, or even scoring a goal), how much would that accomplish for the perception of the sport in Canada? Would the previously non-soccer fan look at that result and say "well hey, we made it to the finals, that's pretty good" or "pffft, look, we do suck at soccer, we couldn't even win a game"?

I'm sure qualification would have a great positive impact at the grassroots level, and bolster our potential for future qualification as well. But for the aforementioned average Canadian sports fan (ACSF), who has been conditioned to accept that the only sport worth following (hockey) is one in which Canada dominates, would simple qualification be enough to sell them on soccer?

Obviously qualification is what we're all dreaming of, but will the ACSF be as delighted as we will? Or is that golden, transformative moment actually much further off than 2010?

I think this exactly is why it is so important to magnify the success and get the exposure during the qualification rounds. With good showings and fan support over the next year, it demonstrates to everyone that we have a squad on the pitch that's improving and interest in the stands that's growing. The time to win people over is now, not in the world cup when we won't likely be winning much.

Well, it IS true that qualifying every 24 years ain't gonna cut it, so it is going to take consistent performances for us to win over the Canadian public en masse. Qualifying will help, but we need to win at all levels and start to make real progress at the club level--MLS in Vancouver and Montreal--and international level for a long time. TFC has shown that the public WANTS to get behind a team, but our tradition of mediocrity make for tough marketing.

Every journey begins with one step. We've been taking some good steps this past year and a half, and we just took another one, beating St. VAG. More steps to come. Much left to do.

I think that you have a point. Except that much of the transformation has already occurred. The pro clubs are financially stable and drawing good. There are stories of big money interested in investing in soccer and this is unprecedented. You have new stadiums cropping up and plans for new stadiums specifically for soccer. You could very well argue that things have never been better. Even at the time of the NASL, I don't think that things were better because IMO, although the crowds were good at times in places like Montreal, the fans was much less sophisticated. Many went to soccer with a hockey fan mindset mostly because there wasn't the prior exposure to soccer that you've had in recent years with the media and TV coverage of the Euros, WC, champions league, EPL serie A etc...

Soccer will never rival hockey and thats more than fine by me. Personally, I wouldn't even want that level of hype and over exposure. Plus, I want to be able to afford to go see soccer.

The international game ( ie.: MNT) is another story though. You are right, if we qualify and end up going out in the group stage (potentially without earning a point, or even scoring a goal), nothing will change from today. The proof is in the fact that that is exactly what happened in 1986. It will take more than that and the transformation will be much slower. Our national team needs to prove that they are a good team and many remain unconvinced. The challenge today versus 1986 is that the fans are a gazillion times more knowledgeable an advantage or a disadvantage because your are not going to fool the people who know the game.

Gradually, the benefits of the growth of the of the club pro game ( through better player development and growth in fan base) will accrue to the national team and along with that will come the fans. It just takes time thats all. Eight to ten years ago, the glass was empty; today its three quarters full.

quote:Originally posted by Califax

I think this exactly is why it is so important to magnify the success and get the exposure during the qualification rounds. With good showings and fan support over the next year, it demonstrates to everyone that we have a squad on the pitch that's improving and interest in the stands that's growing. The time to win people over is now, not in the world cup when we won't likely be winning much.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. The fans of countries throughout Europe get to celebrate winning quite often bc of how important qualifiers are considered. If winning in the World Cup was all tehy got, most fans around the world would never get that taste of success. We need fans to see us winning and playing well now, to further appreciate anything else we may do later.

Or perhaps if we do qualify, we will be like Australia was in 2006, come out of nowhere, win some games, and open a lot of minds. It isn't that much of a stretch.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

It's been said by those of us who have an active interest in the fate of soccer in our country that qualifying for South Africa 2010 could be the transformative moment for the Canadian game. If we could just get over the hump and make it to World Cup then, finally, Canadians would open their eyes and begin appreciating the game of soccer and the strides that have been made in developing it here.

Qualifying for SA2010 would be significant - your ACSF would probably pay as much attention to the event as they do to the Summer Olympics. That's not bad...but no one would suggest that Canadians appreciate rowing or triathlon or swimming or recognize any improvements made in the sport. Depends what your expectations are....

Expect a small segment of the population - 5%? - to pay more attention to the men's national programs through 2014. Since that's probably doubling (or more) the current interest, that's not a bad thing. Beyond that, any additional interest in MLS, or USL teams, or competitive soccer in general in Canada, would be very marginal since there's no obvious link between the national team and local teams to the ACSF.

Every bit helps...just don't expect qualification to be a major turning point for anyone who doesn't already follow Canadian soccer. For the average Canadian, it means following World Cup for two weeks and glancing at some segments on the WC in the weeks prior to 2010.

Getting to the dance is the prize. If we win a game or score it is better, but not doing so should not take away from the accomplishment. Our sport culture is so Americanized that I doubt this would be acceptable, though. With our current team, I do not think we would go goalless, nor pointless.

There is a big difference between today and 1986 in terms of the general level of understanding and acceptance of the sport in Canada. In '86 the game was still very much a game the immigrants played. Today, it's understood that everyone plays it.

If Canada qualifies for SA it will be a major news story (news, not just sports). Canada's games at the Finals would be given page A1 treatment.

It is true that the team would need to get some results. But, I don't think it's that big of a stretch to think that it would. The battle is getting there. Once we're there, I suspect we'd do just fine--given the right draw, I'd give them an outside shot at the round of 16 (if the group was, say, Holland, Japan, Canada, Poland do you really think we'd be out classed?).

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

It is true that the team would need to get some results. But, I don't think it's that big of a stretch to think that it would. The battle is getting there. Once we're there, I suspect we'd do just fine--given the right draw, I'd give them an outside shot at the round of 16 (if the group was, say, Holland, Japan, Canada, Poland do you really think we'd be out classed?).

Seeing as our lads tend to play up to better teams like outplaying Brazil for large stretches of the game in Seattle and I remember the game against Spain a few years ago when even the Spanish media said Canada was unlucky not to win that game I could see our lads making some noise.

I see this issue as one concerning perhaps not the hockey fans of this nation, which unfortunately numbers too close to the country's entire population, but rather winning over new fans. By new fans, I mean the youth of the nation (queue that godforsaken POD song!) who's 25 - 35 year old parents (who also can be won over) have put them in soccer. The hockey fans are irrelevant to me, as they are already fully indoctrinated into faking meathead hockey culture (can you tell that I don't have much fondness for douchebag hockey people?) and would associate becoming a homosexual with becoming a soccer fan.

In short, the CONCACAF qualifications need to be played up perhaps more than WHEN we reach WC2010 because our success in these matches will give people the pride and safety to become supporters of the national squad.

This post may or may not have been biased against faking meathead hockey culture.

Also, I'm going to add, it's not all up to the team. What the hell are WE going to do about it?? We are the dedicated. We are ones who have the ability to go to our friends or to those who we know have even the slightest interest in soccer and pull those people in for a match. Sure the success of the national team will bring new fans to the table, but those new fans are going to need that extra push to remain there. Maybe this is stretching it a tad, but still I think it's obvious that we need to step up the plate... err... step up to the spot and strike the decisive ball just inside the post, do what we all can individually to make even that one extra person per group come to the game.

I grew up in saskatchewan where the main 3 sports are hockey, football and bar fighting lol. I have been living in the lower mainland for about 6 years now. I went to a couple under 23 games and recently went to the Brazil vs. Canada game in Seattle. I am falling in love with this game. I don't know nearly as much as most of the posters on this site about soccer.

I think the more exposure the games get the bigger it will get. I still dont understand how 3 of the top 4 rated teams in the CONCACAF conference wind up in the same group ???? I was really impressed with how the Canadians looked against Brazil. They outchanced them and if it were not for a bad break and a little better goaltending we coulc have won. What was so cool, was that the fans really gained alot of respect for Canada. Before the game (my buddy in I were in our Canadian Hockey jersey's)everyone was teasing us "stick to hockey" or "I am sure Brazil will only score 4 or 5". Then when Brazil scored like 3 or 4 mintes into the game we were like oh no. As you all know Canada played a great game. Even the Brazilian fans were saying "you guys are good" etc..

Just by luck we stayed in the same hotel as the Canadian team. I noticed that the players were all pretty nice. Atiba and Rob Friend and a couple of the guys gave us high five's after the game. I told the guys they made us proud to be Canadian and you should have seen the smiles on thier faces. I think the whole program has been criticized for so long the players are starving for some praise. There was basically no canadian media there and when the guys were boarding the bus to the game, there was no one there cheering them on or anything when they were going to the game. One thing I couldnt get over was that the game was starting at 7 or 7:30 and the guys were not leaving the hotel until 5:45. Is that normal? Most sports the guys are there hours before the start of the game.

I really hope Canada makes it to South Africa. I know that I will go if they do. In a drunken state we told the guys were getting our tickets for SOuth Africa and they loved it when we said that. I really hope the country gets behind these guys. I honestly feel that if we get past the next round we will make it to the World Cup. I would love to see us bump out the USA, I think Canada is just as good if not better then the USA. GO CANADA GO. Let's get behind these guys.

Its true that a single qualification for WC2010 will not do that much in and of itself. But it will lay the groudwork for futher improvements and hopefully begin to sway the mindset that Canadians can't play soccer. And maybe we will see more of our best talent actually want to play for this country.

I work in an office with a lot of different nationalities. During the Eurocup i have tried to get them interested in supporting Canada along with Italy or Portugal or whoever and they all turn up their noses. Canada at WC2010 will at least show some of these eurosnobs that we have a team. most of them have never seen them play (live or on TV). EXPOSURE=Good for the game.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

I think that with the ridiculous over-saturation of hockey in our national sports media,

You got that right. Let me recall several days of sports recently.

Media: Nonstop pre NHL draft talk and analysis

Me: MNT 3-0 win at St. V&G

Media: Full NHL draft coverage and analysis

Me: Budgie dies and Euro 2008

Media: Nonstop post NHL draft talk and analysis

Me: MNT 4-1 win at Mtrl

It is starting to get better but I for one am very tired of 12 months of hockey coverage. June to September give some coverage to soccer and not just hockey this, hockey that, hockey the other.

I fully blame the lack of interest in the MNT here on lack of media coverage. All WCQ games should be shown live, and in HD. Instead we get one channel of non-HD for home games, and probably have to depend on Gol TV for road games (except for the US one). Its pretty sad.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

I fully blame the lack of interest in the MNT here on lack of media coverage. All WCQ games should be shown live, and in HD. Instead we get one channel of non-HD for home games, and probably have to depend on Gol TV for road games (except for the US one). Its pretty sad.

That's a chicken and egg argument...

But, exposure to the sport is increasing through TFC and the CBC is interested in pushing the sport even more. All that adds us to World Cup birth = BIG TIME increase in exposure.

I believe that with Canada at the highest levels, all of the soccer people that have no clue about our nats will opene their eyes when we play competatively against other nations in the world cup. There are so many people in Waterloo watching Euro (casual soccer fans) and have not a clue about the Canadian program because they never make it to the highest tourneys. So by making it...we will attract a huge amount of attention even if we only just play with heart and strenght and lose by very little.

Media shows what people demand. This country demands hockey news despite soccer being the most participated in sport - so is it all immigrants playing soccer? No. Not where I am from. So why do these soccer moms and dads not demand soccer info despite investing so much of their lives into soccer for their children? Because it's still "just fun" - heck, even the club coach where I am from who is desperate to improve kids' soccer in Canada etc, doesn't care at all whatsoever about our national team despite how often I speak to him about it!!!

Until Canada starts competing internationally with the best no one will care - it's still minor league.

What will qualification do for soccer? Hopefully promote a few more of our players to bigger and better clubs, this increasing the quality of soccer in our national team. This would then affect international results greatly. This would then create a more competitive national team, which in turn would attract more and more soccer fans and players (and quality camps/educators) to this country.

Steps are being taken....South Africa 2010 would be a few big steps forward is what it would do - even if we lost all our games, it would raise the profile of individual players on the national team. (Probably players like Atiba, and Hainault - who are already at big clubs)

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

What will qualification do for soccer? Hopefully promote a few more of our players to bigger and better clubs,

That did happen with Randy Samuel as a results of our WC participation in Mexico. He snagged a nice contract in Holland ( dont recall if it was Feyenord aor PSV). The same phenomena occurred with the US particpation in 1990 after being in the wilderness for years at teh world scene, a world cup particpation got the exposure for the Alexi lalas to catch on with Verona in Serie A.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I see this issue as one concerning perhaps not the hockey fans of this nation, which unfortunately numbers too close to the country's entire population, but rather winning over new fans. By new fans, I mean the youth of the nation (queue that godforsaken POD song!) who's 25 - 35 year old parents (who also can be won over) have put them in soccer. The hockey fans are irrelevant to me, as they are already fully indoctrinated into faking meathead hockey culture (can you tell that I don't have much fondness for douchebag hockey people?) and would associate becoming a homosexual with becoming a soccer fan.

In short, the CONCACAF qualifications need to be played up perhaps more than WHEN we reach WC2010 because our success in these matches will give people the pride and safety to become supporters of the national squad.

This post may or may not have been biased against faking meathead hockey culture.

I don't think this attitude is helpful at all. It is possible to like both Hockey and Soccer, and many Canadians (like myself) do. Insulting Hockey (and I don't really know why) to pump up soccer isn't the way to go.

Archived