What will qualification accomplish?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I see this issue as one concerning perhaps not the hockey fans of this nation, which unfortunately numbers too close to the country's entire population, but rather winning over new fans. By new fans, I mean the youth of the nation (queue that godforsaken POD song!) who's 25 - 35 year old parents (who also can be won over) have put them in soccer. The hockey fans are irrelevant to me, as they are already fully indoctrinated into faking meathead hockey culture (can you tell that I don't have much fondness for douchebag hockey people?) and would associate becoming a homosexual with becoming a soccer fan.

In short, the CONCACAF qualifications need to be played up perhaps more than WHEN we reach WC2010 because our success in these matches will give people the pride and safety to become supporters of the national squad.

This post may or may not have been biased against faking meathead hockey culture.

While your post is hilarious and I'm not offended as I can take a joke, most hockey fans I know are A) fine people, and B) also soccer fans.... however, I am in Montreal so that probably has a lot to do with it... "meathead" culture isn't really on the radar here...

quote:The hockey fans are irrelevant to me, as they are already fully indoctrinated into faking meathead hockey culture (can you tell that I don't have much fondness for douchebag hockey people?) and would associate becoming a homosexual with becoming a soccer fan.

this would apply to a guy at work - a diehard Leafs fan who thinks soccer is just for kids and at best a metrosexual sport for adults.

But yet he coaches his u12 daughter's soccer team. So, the World Cup & Euros on TV + display of TFC supporters show these puckheads that Trix aren't just for kids - not just part of a soccer mom culture.

Canada qualifying should help to show that at least we have a world class team in a simialr vein as a Canadian team/individual in the Olympics winning a gold medal in a sport - creates a new generation of players and some new supporters. It will convince people like my dental hygienist who was surprised that Canada had a soccer team when I mentioned it to her while discussing the upcoming Euros.

Archived