D'Agostino signs in England

masster

I always thought he looked good the few times I saw him play for the U20s. I think his best game was the one versus Brazil at Swangard. Not afraid to run at defenders. It never made sense why Mitchell tried to play him in the back 4 when he never played that position before.

Kind of ironic that Blackpool signs a U20 bench player (D'Agostino) over a U20 starter (O'Conner).

D'Agostino to turn Pro with Blackpool FC - Langley Advance

D'Agostino to turn pro with Blackpool FC

A Langley Secondary grad and Canadian U20 men's team member is off to Blackpool, England to play professional soccer.

Troy Landreville, Langley Advance

Published: Friday, September 14, 2007

Mike D'Agostino: professional soccer player.

Judging from his soccer resume and polished skills, it seemed like just a matter of time before the 2004 Langley Secondary grad would attach his name to that job title.

The 20-year-old recently signed a one-year contract and an additional one-year option with England's Blackpool Football Club.

A young Mike D'Agostino held up a trophy earned as a member of his first team representing Dunbar Soccer in 1993.

"I've always loved soccer, since I was four or five, but around nine years old, I started thinking I'd want to do this as a career," D'Agostino said. "Right away they were very excited. When they saw me [play] they were really interested. It was a win/win situation for them and for me. It's a great start and it's going to be a great experience."

D'Agostino, who has been playing soccer since he was five years old, flew to England yesterday to turn over a new chapter in his athletic, professional, and personal life.

Blackpool FC is located in the Lancashire seaside resort of Blackpool. They currently play in The Championship, the second tier of professional football in England, after winning the 2006/07 League One playoff final.

The club's home ground is Bloomfield Road, and their nicknames include "The Pool," "The Seasiders," and "The Tangerines," the latter stemming from their home colour.

D'Agostino caught the Blackpool brass's attention after participating in a League Two match in England.

"A couple of scouts saw me - a scout from Leeds and a scout from Blackpool," D'Agostino related.

He auditioned at Leeds before accepting an invitation to Blackpool, where he took to the pitch for a pair of training sessions and a reserve team game.

"After that, they were pretty much set on me and wanted to sign me."

D'Agostino is taking the right midfield position with the club and hopes to make a contribution sooner rather than later.

"I'm hoping to become a regular on the squad," he said. "My preferred position is an attacking role - that's where I've been playing so far."

D'Agostino is very familiar with high level soccer.

In early July, he played for Canada at the FIFA U20 World Cup. He was one of 21 players selected from across Canada to represent the country in the tournament.

Canada finished winless in three games against Chile, Austria and Congo.

"I think the World Cup was a good experience, but obviously we didn't do too well, so that was a disappointment," D'Agostino said.

The defender/midfielder got an opportunity to take the field against Austria, playing 70 minutes of that game.

With the temperature in Edmonton hitting almost 32C, the host team couldn't pull through for a victory, and the final score was 1-0 in Austria's favour.

When D'Agostino stepped onto the field, he said there was no other feeling like it.

"You have to get your bearings on and get your mind ready," he told the Langley Advance in July. "There were 32,000 people watching [the game], and it was on national television. I realized, just do what you've been doing: just play soccer."

A veteran of international soccer, and representing Canada, D'Agostino captained the national U20 squad at the World Francophone Games in Niamey, Niger, where the Canadians took on Cameroon, Ivory Coast and Nigeria.

His commitment to the national soccer program dates back to 2003, when he was chosen to play for the U15 Canadian squad for its tour through Germany.

After graduating from LSS, the then-teenager moved south, where he attended the University of Kentucky, playing for the NCAA Div. 1 Wildcats.

D'Agostino was a key Wildcat during his university stint.

He was named a First Team All Conference USA in 2006, a year in which he was chosen as one of the best 11 players in the conference while recording six goals and six assists.

In 2005, he led the U of K with three goals and 11 assists.

And in his first year, D'Agostino started every game for the Wildcats as a 17-year-old, and was named to the MAC All-Conference team.

During his time in Kentucky, D'Agostino earned the admiration of Wildcats head coach Ian Collins, who said the Canadian addition was a player of "major impact."

"His progress here as a player over three years was tremendous," Collins said, crediting not only D'Agostino's technical ability and understanding of the game but "largely his passion and commitment to everything he was challenged with."

"His quality, flair and creativity was obvious to all of those who watched him play but the small things separated him from the masses," Collins said. "The way he looked after himself and kept himself in peak physical condition, spent countless hours by himself perfecting technique and the time he spent studying game film and preparing himself for both training and games - I am extremely happy for him that he has began his professional career."

Collins said he has no doubt D'Agostino will "have tremendous success."

The Kentucky coach has company in his admiration of D'Agostino's soccer skills and strong work habits. Over the past few years D'Agostino has received contract offers from pro clubs Millwall (England), Reggina (Italy) and Messina (Italy).

However, D'Agostino's past accomplishments will be tossed out the window when he takes to the pitch with Blackpool. He'll have to prove himself.

"I'm young - I'm one of the youngest players on the team, but then again, I don't have close to the experience that a lot of the other guys on the team has, so I have a lot to prove and a lot to learn as well."

"There's no pressure," D'Agostino added. "You've got nothing to lose, but at the same time you have to crack the starting lineup and get noticed."

Once he arrives at Blackpool, D'Agostino believes he'll be staying on the outskirts of the city.

"I'll be somewhere a little more peaceful because Blackpool is a crazy city," D'Agostino said. "It's kind of like a Las Vegas-style city. It's a carnival."

The frenetic style of soccer in England mirrors the passion the country's fans have for the sport.

"England is known for its fast-paced style of play," D'Agostino said. "It's quite physical as well. You have to get used to it. It's the fastest paced game in the world really. It's a bit different from the way the Spanish and Italians play, where it's more technical. It's a really quick game [and] you have to think quickly."

Taking in a match at Blackpool's stadium just before he left for Canada, D'Agostino got a taste of the wild atmosphere he'll be experiencing in the coming months.

"The fans are intense. It was pure chanting and singing all game," he said. "You couldn't hear anything in the stadium. The fans are quite loyal."

© Langley Advance 2007

If Blackpool can stay up this season I think it's a great decision to join them instead of Reggina.

It's one of the weaker sides in The Championship and with the 46 league games alone that they play there must be enough games for D'Agostino to feature in.

At Reggina he might not have featured a lot as they are very solid Serie A side now.

Guest Can. in UK

If you look at the last Reserves Team match report on the Blackpool site, there are many references to a "mystery trialist" who seemingly had a good game (& played 90 minutes).

I can only assume it was D'Agostino.

Congratulations to D'Agostino! Yeah, I agree about his game versus Brazil. He showed paced and a willingness--and abililty--to get forward. He came on as a sub and cause the Brazilians some trouble on the right flank. He's a strong and fast kid, and could become a good one. Would have rather he'd gone to Germany to develop, but let's see what he can do. Pace is everything in England, and he's got that for sure.

No D'Agostino for Blackpool today against Sheffield Wednesday. But to quote the game report from the Blackpool site:

quote:Simon Grayson introduced Andy Welsh for his home debut with eight minutes remaining as Pool chased another home victory. Yet it was Alan Quinn who could have secured an away day victory for Bryan Robson but his rasping strike went wide.

Andy Welsh then played over one of the balls of the game to big Ben Burgess to head the ball looping into the left side of the net, as Pool looked odds on for victory (86).

Take that, haterzzz. [:P]

(And yes, they gave up a weak goal in the next minute and had to settle for the tie.)

quote:Originally posted by marktci

No D'Agostino for Blackpool today against Sheffield Wednesday. But to quote the game report from the Blackpool site:

Take that, haterzzz. [:P]

(And yes, they gave up a weak goal in the next minute and had to settle for the tie.)

Give him time to shake the rust off, he'll be flubbing crosses by next week. :D

Not really any new information but another article about D'Agostino in the Vancouver Sun on Friday.

D'Agostino is excited by move abroad

Langley midfielder signs with English club

Dan Stinson, Vancouver Sun

Published: Friday, September 21, 2007

Langley midfielder Michael D'Agostino is making a rapid climb on the ladder to success in soccer.

Two months after playing for Canada in this summer's FIFA Under-20 World Cup, D'Agostino has signed his first club contract with Blackpool FC of the Championship League -- the second tier of the professional game in England.

Barely out of his teenage years -- he turned 20 last January -- the versatile, multi-talented D'Agostino had trials with Italian teams Reggina and Messina before agreeing to a one-year, plus-one-year-option deal with Blackpool on Sept. 4.

"I'm of Italian heritage, so playing in Italy was my first choice," D'Agostino said this week from Blackpool. "But signing with an English League team isn't a bad alternative. Italy and England are two of the best soccer leagues in the world, so I'm pretty excited about signing with Blackpool."

D'Agostino has an impressive resume. Born in Vancouver, he kicked off his career at age five with the Dunbar Soccer Association in 1993, continued to play at the youth levels with Langley United after his family moved to the Fraser Valley city, and was a star for three NCAA Division I seasons with the University of Kentucky Wildcats.

D'Agostino played every position on the field, except goalkeeper, during his youth and university years. He was a right fullback for Canada during the Under-20 World Cup, but has been tabbed as a right-side midfielder with Blackpool.

"I haven't played for Blackpool yet because there are still some international clearance issues to be sorted out," said D'Agostino. "But I'm hoping to become a regular in the squad.

"My best position is attacking right-side midfielder and that's where I've been playing in training sessions with Blackpool. There aren't too many young players in the squad competing for first-team positions, so it's up to me to win my place."

The 5-9, 160-pound D'Agostino earned 14 caps over two years with Canada's under-20 team while also playing for Kentucky. A business major at Kentucky, he enrolled on a full-ride scholarship after skipping a grade as an honour-roll student at Langley Secondary School.

"Michael was always a very bright student," said his father Dominic D'Agostino. "He excelled in his studies while playing soccer, and that's important."

D'Agostino was named to Conference USA's first all-star team in 2006 after scoring six goals and adding six assists for Kentucky. He was the Wildcats' scoring leader in 2005, with three goals and 11 assists, and was also named to the all-conference team in his 2004 freshman year.

D'Agostino drew the attention of Blackpool scouts after playing in a game for an English League Division Two team early this year.

Blackpool won promotion to the Championship League after winning the League One playoff final last season. The team is currently tied for eighth place with a 2-1-3 record.

danstinson@shaw.ca

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

• 2 weeks later...

He finally signs. From the Blackpool OS:

Pool Receive Clearance For Winger

Posted on: Thu 04 Oct 2007

The Seasiders finally received international clearance to sign midfielder Michael D'Agostino on Thursday morning.

There had been a couple of weeks delay in obtaining international clearance due to D'Agostino's last club being the University of Kentucky rather than a MLS Club.

The 20-year-oldappeared for the Canadian national side in this summer's FIFA Under-20 World Cup, plays on the right of midfield and can also play at full-back. Born in Vancouver, the 20 year-old who has Italian parents had been on trial at The Seasiders after Chief Scout Clive Richards spotted the youngster during a pre-season game between Accrington and Burscough and he was invited to Bloomfield Road for a trial and played twice in the reserevs.

• 1 month later...

Cheltenham recruit Blackpool man

Cheltenham signed Blackpool winger Michael D'Agostino on loan just before Thursday's Football League deadline for loan signings.

The 20-year-old Canada Under-20 international moves to Whaddon Road following a busy week of loan deals.

The Robins previously recruited Crawley striker Guy Madjo, while allowing defender Lee Ridley to join Darlington.

"Michael is a player with good pace who likes to take people on," boss Keith Downing told Cheltenham's website.

"Blackpool have let him join us to get some regular football and they believe he will do a good job in League One."

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also this:http://www.blackpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=507721

(scroll down and look to the right)

D'Agostino tied for third in a fan poll answering the question of which young player will make the biggest impression at Blackpool this season, so evidently many think that he will stay in the championship this year. Let's hope so, and best of luck to the lad!

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Also this:http://www.blackpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=507721

(scroll down and look to the right)

D'Agostino tied for third in a fan poll answering the question of which young player will make the biggest impression at Blackpool this season, so evidently many think that he will stay in the championship this year. Let's hope so, and best of luck to the lad!

He's in second and I think it is still open. Come on everybody, get over there and vote. Edit: Sorry, it looks like you have to register to vote

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

^ I voted and didn't have to register.

The first time I voted I thought I had put him from third to second place. I tried voting again and his percentage didn't seem to move (then tried voting again after changing IP) so I doubted what I saw the first time.

You're right, you don't have to register.

I voted again this morning and his percentage went from 44 to 46 percent (there can't be that many votes)

So again, everybody get over there and vote for Mike.

http://www.blackpool.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=507721

Archived