Black Wednesday -- the CSA protest

While I didn't agree with the way he said it, I actually think Jeffrey has made some good points in relation to why this particular form of protest isn't a good idea. I haven't seen many people respond to that, instead they have reacted to the snide comments he has made. Fair enough, I can understand doing that - but that doesn't negate the points he made, particularly the point that what the players most want is support & not to be reminded during the game about the politics. Especially as all the reports we've had so far indicate that the players are glad Linford is gone (so a protest which is sparked by his leaving can send mixed messages, to say the least). I think if you are going to try to send a message, you need to be clear on what the message is. Signs & banners have, by their nature, a much greater ability to send a clear message than wearing a colour that you normally associate with wearing to a funeral. And it's not a funeral atmosphere we want.

Incidentally I think the press release draft should keep "frustration" and lose "hopelessness" - part of the problem I have with going under this particular form of protest is that I feel a great sense of hope, not hopelessness, for the future of soccer in Canada. The state of the game has arguably never been better, it's the state of the administration which sucks. If I felt hopelessness I doubt I'd be attending the game. Obviously, that's not how I feel.

I also think Matthew's black streamer's idea is a good idea, if people are truly insistent on using the colour black for something (imo using red or white would go just as well - red is the colour of frustration, isn't it?)

That said, that's just my two cents. If people want to go down that path instead of others, that's up to them. I don't plan to comment further on this, if I can help it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than a black shirt why not simply wear a black armband for the "death of the CSA's credibility".

Pall bearers with a coffin marked appropriately and solemnly marched to the ground with a pack of "mourners" would make for good TV and photographs. (As well as being a very traditional soccer protest action.)

"Mourners" could be asked to speak after the official "eulogy".

Do this all about an hour before the game, have people on the fringe of the "funeral" hand out little info sheets as people come past. 20 minutes before kick-off all enter the stadium together and cheer/sing/chant loud and proud for the boys on the field while hanging banners reading "R.I.P. CSA".

Sucks that I can't be there, but that is what I'd like to do if I was there.

I just posted the following on the U-Sector board, but it applies over here as well (especially since a vast majority of Toronto-area Voyageurs are also U-Sector):

I'm seriously torn on the black shirt idea.

The last time I got to wear my Canada jersey at a (senior men's) national team match was the Gold Cup semi-final versus the USA in June. In Chicago.

It's been 7 years since we've had a senior nat'l team match on Toronto, and I'm not quite sure I want to be wearing black on that day.

That being said, I HATE HATE HATE the way the CSA has f-ed the game up (at the highest level) in this country.

I think the FIASCO banner needs to be made, and perhaps a ****load of black streamers (thrown just before kickoff) rather than black shirts is the way to go.

I don't ever want to go to a Canada match and feel like I'm not supporting Canada. Wearing anything other than Canada gear at a Canada match just feels wrong, but that's just me.

Do they still sell the black Canada jerseys?

I still think a little "protest" march will just be fine and even in your Canadian shirt. Just get some banners and make sure that our players understand that this is against the regime and not the team. Just a march from the Princess gate,getting all the Ultras,Voyageurs,RPB and U section together and united.

I just hate the idea not wearing our red shirt during the game.This is the time we can show that we are Canadian and that we support our team and this time big time and in red.

I hate as hell to see the players have some sort of protest by not giving it all.Do it all before the game and get it over with. The media will love it and i am sure that there will be the customary interviews and hilites as well.

Just a thought.

What happens if the banners are all confiscated at the gate by security? The Supporters Section rules for TFC games do not apply when BMO Field reverts to CSA control as the National Soccer Stadium. RPB found that out the hard way at the Argentina U-20 game. I'm not saying don't make banners or anything like that but there needs to be more than that to ensure a strong visual impact actually materializes.

Wear black, or wear a black armband. Carry a black card, or flash a red card with

the CSA logo on it. Wear a black mask like Zorro. Carry a black flag.

Whatever makes you feel better, just make sure you guys get noticed in the media

and make your feelings known. But cheer and support our players. These ones are

usually deal with most of the bulls***.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

What happens if the banners are all confiscated at the gate by security? The Supporters Section rules for TFC games do not apply when BMO Field reverts to CSA control as the National Soccer Stadium. RPB found that out the hard way at the Argentina U-20 game. I'm not saying don't make banners or anything like that but there needs to be more than that to ensure a strong visual impact actually materializes.

What happened? I noticed no difference in rules for that game versus TFC matches.

Obviously the rules were different when FIFA was in control for the U-20's (when they even forced the name of the stadium to change), but the CSA works in partnership with TFC for any of their own events (and the BMO sponsorship covers the CSA as well).

My response to Rudi's post at U-Sector (and I hope my boss doesn't read this forum, 'cause they will fire my ass for not working!):

I don't mean this to come off as insulting, so please understand that.

Wearing your Canada jersey may "seem right" to you, but the reality is that there is no possible way that it will do anything.

Wearing black may not seem right, but it has the chance of sending a message.

No one is asking that you not watch the game and cheer on the players. One of the reasons this makes sense to me is that it doesn't prevent us from watching the game. Other forms of protest would.

This is one act, complimented with banners, several press releases and, possibly, a display of some sort (black streamers, a "funeral" march to the stadium, whatever).

There have been other great ideas. However, it's my feeling that they are either too complicated or not visual enough. Also, for better or worse, this is the idea that is starting to circulate. Experience tells me that you need to push one idea at a time. If we can make this work, then there is the possibility that we can do different things in the future.

Ultimately, this is your choice. I've made my feelings clear. I hope you will chose to join me by wearing black.

Toronto MB has a good point: We are unified around a couple of clear, very important points, and now we need to get these across, and we (i.e. you supporters seeing the CR v Canada game) need to agree on a handful of "bells and whistles" to make the protest clear.

First and foremost, we are supporters of our team, so you MUST wear our proper colours. Do this for the guys making the sacrifice on the pitch. Let's see lots of red out there. Plus, wearing black does not on its own signify anything. But:

If you wear cloaks of black, and hang CSA effigies, and hold up massive signs that say things like, "Support Our Players / Axe the CSA". Or, "Death to the CSA" Or, "Crawford Report Now!" etc., then you'll get proper attention. A funeral march is an excellent idea.

As Ben Knight suggests, get as many of you nutbars together with effigies and signs up front before the game for a pre-game protest. And at the half. Anywhere there is a camera, make sure the CSA gets it.

And, if a reporter asks what the protest is about, being passionate but cool-headed, clear but not silly. Do not swear! Do not call the CSA idiots! Stick to a unified line, something along the lines of "We support our teams, we support soccer in Canada, and for the sake of the fans, for our players, and for Canada's place on the world stage, we demand a full review and restructuring of the Canadian Soccer Association. Look at what the Aussies have done, and we've twice as many players registered in Canada."

Keep it simple; stay on message. Don't get a boner because a reporter is talking to you. Toronto MB and all the other organizers, drill this into as many people as possible. "We support soccer in Canada, and we want a review and restructuing of the CSA."

Wish I was out there.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

What happened? I noticed no difference in rules for that game versus TFC matches.

We tried to get in with the big red and white flag I usually wave pregame at the foot of 112 and a few other things after marching down from Shoeless and were stopped by security. After a long argument we only got the stuff in on the understanding it was being put into its normal storage location afterwards rather than being used during the game after we had contacted TFC management by cellphone so they could confirm to security who we were.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

First and foremost, we are supporters of our team, so you MUST wear our proper colours. Do this for the guys making the sacrifice on the pitch. Let's see lots of red out there. Plus, wearing black does not on its own signify anything. But:

MUST?

We wear red every game. It won't be noticed. This is simpler.

Understand that convincing people on here--although important--is only a small portion of this. The far more important thing we can do is make the media understand that something is happening. That will happen through an organized press release schedule.

The most effective way to get a message out is to keep it simple and consistent. Wear black to the game. That’s the main message. We repeat it constantly. That way, more than just the diehards start to see it.

If we wear red IT’S LIKE ANY OTHER GAME.

You said it yourself--the players make sacrifices to play for Canada. We can make the "sacrifice" of wearing black for one game. Far for being unsupportive of the players, it will be the most supportive thing we ever did.

We tried to get in with the big red and white flag I usually wave pregame at the foot of 112 and a few other things after marching down from Shoeless and were stopped by security. After a long argument we only got the stuff in on the understanding it was being put into its normal storage location afterwards rather than being used during the game after we had contacted TFC management by cellphone so they could confirm to security who we were.

Interesting, but the Argentina friendly was only the second match held at BMO Field, so security may not have been as familiar with what's considered "acceptable" from the supporters groups as they do now.

Not that this as anything to do with this thread topic... :D

I find it a little difficult to believe that the players are coming out in favor of Linford resigning. How long was he actually president and how much time did he have to get anything done? It doesn't seem like very long and when he did try to do something it was stymied.

I honestly don't know if more than one player has gone public with their dislike of Linford, but the only name I have heard so far is Sutton (I believe). It seems to me that the opinion of the entire team is being based around the voice of one (maybe two) players. I also have noticed historically that the players tend not to be openly critical about the CSA or any one individual which makes me wonder about Sutton's direct comments. Players usually make more evasive comments - do we have a shill on the team?

Personally I think for the protest to work that the players need to get behind whatever movement is being organized. If they don't I think what ever media attention that is given on the 12th will be quickly forgotten or confused with a day late memorial for 911 – all the black. I truly think that the power on this issue is with the players. They must be bothered by the current situation and if so must express it.

The Voyageurs do get the attention of the media on a small scale, but are pretty unknown within the rest of the soccer community in Canada (no one that I know - and I live in a large soccer community - even knows that this board exists until I tell them about it). It would be very easy for one unsympathetic journalist to discredit the Voyageurs as some meaningless group on the internet. That is why I think the players need to express their problems with the current situation.

Yes, the point was made to the press by the Voyageurs about the year long wait for hiring a coach (which may have resulted in the quick hiring of Mitchell - unsure about this, he may have gotten the job without the pressure anyway), but I think this situation is a much larger issue. The overhaul of an entire organization will need much more coverage than an exhibition game that will be watched by a minute portion of the population.

Just my opinion, but I doubt this protest will get far without the players getting on board. Good luck.

Think what we really need is the media more than the players and there is every indication that they are onside. The latest from Gerry Dobson:-

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2007/08/31/owning_the_csa/

Owning the CSA

As you can imagine, I've been spending a lot of time lately talking with soccer insiders across the country.

My conversations have included chats with executives at the CSA, including former president Colin Linford, people at the professional clubs, and executives at several provincial associations. As you can also imagine, there is no consensus on what needs to be done with the CSA.

The only constant is that major change must take place. Those who defend the status quo surely must realize that when the president resigns and promptly slams the structure he left behind, and when the new CEO will never take office, then there is a big problem.

Here's what I've come to believe. In my humble opinion there are not enough soccer professionals in position to affect meaningful change in policy at the CSA. This belief continues to get reinforced by those who have been on the scene much longer than I. Many of you reading this will know it already.

I think the difference now, is that even those who haven't been following this over the years are now starting to pay attention because soccer is no longer a minor player in this country. Maybe the feds and Sport Canada will even start to wonder what's going on here.

Here's what I think might happen. First a question. Who has the most to gain or lose, by the health or lack thereof, of the CSA? Seems to me it’s the professional clubs and those provincial associations in which those clubs operate. And we have three of them with very influential owners. MLSE in Toronto, Greg Kerfoot in Vancouver, and the Saputo family in Montreal did not get where they are by being stupid. They know how to make money. They also know that the CSA boondoggle reflects badly on the sport right across the country. They can't possibly like what they see.

Could it be possible someday that these powerful people begin to exert pressure on the CSA? Might there be a day when the professional clubs who have the most at stake start to influence and perhaps even control policy and decision making where it matters? If these teams forge strong relationships with the provinces in Ontario, B.C. and Quebec, then look out.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

I find it a little difficult to believe that the players are coming out in favor of Linford resigning. How long was he actually president and how much time did he have to get anything done? It doesn't seem like very long and when he did try to do something it was stymied.

I honestly don't know if more than one player has gone public with their dislike of Linford, but the only name I have heard so far is Sutton (I believe). It seems to me that the opinion of the entire team is being based around the voice of one (maybe two) players. I also have noticed historically that the players tend not to be openly critical about the CSA or any one individual which makes me wonder about Sutton's direct comments. Players usually make more evasive comments - do we have a shill on the team?

Personally I think for the protest to work that the players need to get behind whatever movement is being organized. If they don't I think what ever media attention that is given on the 12th will be quickly forgotten or confused with a day late memorial for 911 – all the black. I truly think that the power on this issue is with the players. They must be bothered by the current situation and if so must express it.

The Voyageurs do get the attention of the media on a small scale, but are pretty unknown within the rest of the soccer community in Canada (no one that I know - and I live in a large soccer community - even knows that this board exists until I tell them about it). It would be very easy for one unsympathetic journalist to discredit the Voyageurs as some meaningless group on the internet. That is why I think the players need to express their problems with the current situation.

Yes, the point was made to the press by the Voyageurs about the year long wait for hiring a coach (which may have resulted in the quick hiring of Mitchell - unsure about this, he may have gotten the job without the pressure anyway), but I think this situation is a much larger issue. The overhaul of an entire organization will need much more coverage than an exhibition game that will be watched by a minute portion of the population.

Just my opinion, but I doubt this protest will get far without the players getting on board. Good luck.

I believe the players are protecting their back.

Linford wanted Simoes but we have Mitchell now and Mitchell is calling the players. So if you're Sutton or Brennan, going public stating that Linford was great might not be well perceived by the coach....

Think what we really need is the media more than the players and there is every indication that they are onside. The latest from Gerry Dobson:-

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2007/08/31/owning_the_csa/

Owning the CSA

The only constant is that major change must take place.

Could it be possible someday that these powerful people begin to exert pressure on the CSA?

This is telling me that we are doing right thing with protest.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I believe the players are protecting their back.

Linford wanted Simoes but we have Mitchell now and Mitchell is calling the players. So if you're Sutton or Brennan, going public stating that Linford was great might not be well perceived by the coach....

That is what I was thinking, which is why I give little credence to their statements.

As posted at the U-Sector:

How about this for those who are on the border...

*Bring* a black t-shirt. Be prepared to wear it. But, get a feel for how the night is going--if it looks like the protest is a success, put it over your jersey for all or part of the game.

If it doesn't look like we were successful in getting large enough numbers, then simply wave the t-shirt like a scarf from time to time.

Is that fair?

Archived