Black Wednesday -- the CSA protest

A proposed press release:

A coalition of Canadian soccer fans is convinced that the future of Canadian soccer is black.

As such, the group is calling on all fans attending the September 12 friendly between Canada and Costa Rica to wear black to the game as a symbol of their frustration and hopelessness about the state of the game in this country.

We believe that without significant changes to the way the sport is administrated in Canada there is little hope that Canada will ever see success at an international level.

Specifically, we are calling on Sport Canada to create a more professional, efficient and accountable environment at the Canadian Soccer Association with the express purpose of better cultivating our elite players and national programs. If the current CSA administration is unwilling to change its way of operation, we are asking that it be disbanded and replaced with a new organization.

We don’t believe Canada’s failure to thrive at the sport is a lack of talent problem; we believe it’s a CSA problem.

Please join us Sept. 12 by wearing black to the National Soccer Stadium.

(a paragraph about us—something that says that we aren’t just three crackpots)

For more information please call (name) at (number).

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid work Media Guy!

"Black Wednesday" carries a strong message and this is the type of "controversial" event the media will be more inclined to cover.

Please!! Nobody else throw up another press release for the event, this offers a strong framwework which we can surely fine tune into the perfect release.

My only question at this point is this:

If we do take it to the feds, are we sure that Sport Canada is the group to administer the review and potnetial changes. I will run it by a contact of mine who the national coach for the Canadian Yachting Associating (Canada's Olympic Sailing coach) and see what he thinks. He once suggested to me that such dealings are actually the priority of the Heritage ministry.

I will get back to you on this front.

My email is themaxbell@hotmail.com for anybody who wants to get involved with this "Black Wednesday" protest.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

B

Now, if you want to do a simple banner (SOS CSA), make a poster, or print up a statement and distribute it, sound fine by me, to each his own.

And this does what exactly? Oh brilliant one, tell us how this gets our message out. I can see the headlines now "Banner hung at game."

B R I L L I A N T!

Lead us Jeffrey. Lead us from Spain.

Think it's a grand idea. Seriously.

Visually it's pretty damned dramatic and all the media would be forced to at least mention this asthetic protest. Pro-Canadian crowd in Toronto, the media center of Canada, wearing black? What the Hell?

Wear black, bring your scarf and go home with a sore throat. It's the only way.

Effect is dulled somewhat if the lads come out wearing the alternative black kits like the U20s (and honestly I'd be impressed with the CSA if they did that as a response should this scheme taking off but I'm not holding my breath. Still, if it dose, and they do, tip of the hat to the CSA).

I am waiting on a quote to have 500-1000 Black T-shirts screen printed. I'll have pricing tomorrow.

Jeffrey, it's too bad you don't agree with the idea but it really does work and I really dont think we ought to care about the whole politically incorrect nature of Bad=Black, White=Good. It's too bad that you don't like...wish you did...but since you are in Spain and we're here, we'll call the shots on this one and hope it doesn't backfire.

noooooooo. just no.

this is my first chance to see the boys at home since the belize runabouts in 2004. and that was in k-town. when was the last Toronto game? Mexico @ Varsity in 2000? i just want this game to be somewhat normal. i'm really looking forward to the biggest canadian supporter's section that Canada has ever seen. anywhere. that section should not be dressed in black.

wear your red and white and support your players. make all the large, angry banners you want and sing all the anti-csa crap that you want. but for fvck's sake no black mass.

edit: fvck i'm torn on this. i do have a strong dislike for the csa ...... black t's with a big red maple leaf on them? huh? huh? lol .... as far as protests go, it's not a bad idea

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

noooooooo. just no.

this is my first chance to see the boys at home since the belize runabouts in 2004. and that was in k-town. when was the last Toronto game? Mexico @ Varsity in 2000? i just want this game to be somewhat normal. i'm really looking forward to the biggest canadian supporter's section that Canada has ever seen. anywhere. that section should not be dressed in black.

wear your red and white and support your players. make all the large, angry banners you want and sing all the anti-csa crap that you want. but for fvck's sake no black mass.

edit: fvck i'm torn on this. i do have a strong dislike for the csa ...... black t's with a big red maple leaf on them? huh? huh? lol .... as far as protests go, it's not a bad idea

We're open to ideas. I kind of like the idea of incorporating the maple leaf on the shirt in some way.

don't worry...the event wont be ruined for you. We're still ultimately all there to cheer on our boys.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I am waiting on a quote to have 500-1000 Black T-shirts screen printed. I'll have pricing tomorrow.

Jeffrey, it's too bad you don't agree with the idea but it really does work and I really dont think we ought to care about the whole politically incorrect nature of Bad=Black, White=Good. It's too bad that you don't like...wish you did...but since you are in Spain and we're here, we'll call the shots on this one and hope it doesn't backfire.

I suggested this over on the RPB board, how about a black t-shirt, with "CSA BOARD" with a red circle and line through it....

What you guys think?

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

noooooooo. just no.

Its our voices that supports the team and makes BMO field OUR HOUSE not red and white jersey.SO black with red maple leaf why not but make sure you leave your voice out there.

all for one!

I don't have any answers and frankly I'm so bummed out, I'm proud some people are lighting a spark.

I like the black. It's simple and I think effective. It's the dark ages of Canadian soccer. That's what I think of.

I don't think the shirt even has to have a slogan. Everyone in a black t-shirt speaks loudly. Esp if we explain it before hand. I don't think that's not supporting the team. Some people sing for 90 mins, some don't. Some sit, some stand. Some dye their hair red and some look the same as they do going to the office, either way if they're backing Canada I don't think anyone can say they're supporting Canada incorrectly.

As far as everything else goes. I'm cool with banners. But as far as anti-CSA chants and such, personally I figure you put your black t-shirt on and you hang your banner and then you get ready to put 100 per cent behind the boys. Bring the red and white streamers, bring the flags, bring the drums, bring the positivity for the boys and let them take our minds off of the shambles in Ottawa for 90 mins at least.

That being said I though the streamer thing has been brilliant at BMO all year. If black shirts is what people are grabbing onto perhaps a massive black streamer toss at a specific time (though fairly early, so the point is made and then we move on, 21st min for 21 years since 86? I don't know . . . ). I think that would make a big impact. Heck even right after kickoff. Point taken, not to the game . . .

But those are my two bits. I won't be there, so really I have no say. I trust the U Sector, the RPB and the Vees will represent our outrage well.

I feel like one of the supporters Brunt said were "worn down by years of broken promises"

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

There is no way even 10% of fans will join in.

When the tv focusses on your sections what will they see, a mass of red or a mass of black? Answer, if this initiative is successful, is neither. Not a mass of anything, a mess. You may look like AC Milan supporters, which will make a lot of Torontonians feel comfortable.

One single clear banner before a section will work better than this idea, which I insist is poor. A banner with a message, that the press can take a picture of, that tv cameras can focus on or will focus on everytime they show the livlier fan sections. TV will simply not pick up black dotted about the stadium, and in newspapers, which publish pics in b&w? Really, the more I think about it the more I think it is totally off, it is a protest that is difficult to document for the press.

Is it so difficult to do one or a few simple protest banners against the CSA, hang them, then get on with supporting the team?

When I go to a game I wear the teams colours, and if I don't support either team, I wear my Barça shirt. That is what fans do. Occasionally fans protest against a club president or, very rarely, an FA (pretty odd in any case), but it is extremely rare. In Spain you wave white handkerchiefs or pieces of paper to protest, like flags of surrender. Looks good as if 10% of fans do it it is very effective. But usually if your team is being blown out and the season is going badly. The Alavés fans protesting Piterman (owner of California Victory) would start games by standing up and turning their backs to the field for the first minute of play. But I am not sure these ideas are that effective for a Canadian context. Even so, they'd be much better than going to watch Julian, Patrice, Olivier, Ali et al with the "black is bad" message.

Why do I have felling you are paid by CSA Board of Idiots?

Turning back to the pitch will send wrong massage to our players.

I can understand you don’t like it, but we do. With yours pessimistic opinions you are helping CSA morons more than us.

It seems to me that this is really picking up, RPB are hot about this U Sector is picking up too.

From RPB forum this post tells everything.

Quote:

Oh man -- It's Dump-On-The-CSA-Week . . . Finally!!

Guys do your homework send emails to

Minister responsible for Sport Canada is Helena Guergis.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pc-ch/min/guer...act/index_e.cfm

Dear Helena Guergis,

I am writing to express concern over the recent, and historical, problems with the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA). My concern is that, for as long as most people can remember, the CSA has been run in an unprofessional and disorganized manner. Those in charge seem more concerned with personal and regional differences than they are with the growth and success of the sport in Canada. I know you have probably received other letters detailing more of the specific problems the CSA has had, so I will not go into too much detail here.

This is coming up now because soccer in Canada has been riding a recent wave of success. With the U-20 world cup and the inaugural season of the Toronto FC this summer, more Canadian citizens than ever are interested in the sport not only in a participatory context, but also as a spectator. I think most people can agree that we, as Canadians, want our country to do well on the international stage, whatever the event might be. Frankly, the current iteration of the CSA is doing nothing to further that goal.

I know you have no direct control over the CSA; however, as the representative in charge of their funding, you do have some power in this situation, and some responsibility. All I am asking is for an investigation to be initiated over how the CSA is organized, and how it is using the government’s (tax payers’) money. I am not looking for an increase in the budget the government is devoting to the development of Canadian soccer, though in the longer term that might be warranted, I am merely asking for you to make sure the money that has already been allocated is being used in the appropriate way.

Professional soccer is gaining popularity in Canada. Our professional teams will help develop our talent. These teams are held by the private sector, so there is no need for government funding. All we really need now is a professional organization to oversee it all and ensure we have the right people, the right places, and the right attitude to make Canadians proud.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,:(

Yes I'm in my 40teens,Jeffrey

This way of action worked in Australia if we don't try it will stay the same. You know for some people glass is always half full, for you seems to be always half empty.Sorry I can't help you ,try somewhere else to get help I'm not qualified enough.

Guys, how can you all get down on the CSA for an inability to get along and work together for positive results, when you're unable to do it yourselves. You're all good people and you all have good ideas, both for and against this. Let's work together.

kids? Jeffrey, this reaction of yours is typical and getting old, whenever people poo-poo your suggestions you turn into a bigger suck than my three-year-old when he doesn't get a cookie.

A Canadian living in Spain wearing his Barca shirt telling us how great the spaniards deal with everything - and we're the wannabes?

Haha, Jeffrey S. and G-L both being accused of being CSA lackies by the same newbie that knows sfa.

I love what happens to this forum when ever a disaster happens in Canadian soccer. All the agenda-driven people who care more about their own agendas than Canadian soccer come out of the woodwork. All the dedicated fans that have been posting for years get called out for not accomplishing anything. A few months later, these same **** disturbers will disappear, while the rest of us will still be here, discussing friendlies, Canadians abroad, meeting up for national team matches, distributing scarves, sharing video of Canadians in action, picking our best XI, and of course, bitching about the CSA (which isn't a new topic here).

The fact of the matter is this: 99% of the people who post on this forum are fans of Canadian soccer. I'm tired of having newbs coming onto our forum and acting so indignant to the real fans that have shown passion of the game in Canada for years.

Sorry, I needed to get that out of my system.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

kids? Jeffrey, this reaction of yours is typical and getting old, whenever people poo-poo your suggestions you turn into a bigger suck than my three-year-old when he doesn't get a cookie.

How many years are we going to have to tolerate Jeffrey's infantile behaviour ? This is the kind of behaviour that discredits the Voyageurs.

Archived