Black Wednesday -- the CSA protest

Hey boys.

Can we set a deadline, well in advance(say Sept. 5th?), to have a solid plan for what we're doing for the friendly. I really think it's important that, as many of us as possible, are on the same page for this "protest" to make an impact.

Maybe we could do a poll and agree to do whatever the poll findings are? I'm thinking we should most likely do a combination of things including... meet at a pub and have a mock funeral... parade to BMO, wear black, have red cards & banners as well as distribute information to the more moderate Canadian supporters to let them know what we're all about as Voyageurs!

Anyways, does anyone else feel the irony of critiquing the lack of leadership of the CSA when the Voyageurs lack structure or official leadership too?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by john tv

Spoke to Bobby Deguzman and suggested he run for president of the CSA and Bobby said he would be very interested if he could burn the whole forest.

Bobby should run on the platform of "vote for me and I will guarantee to deliver to the MNT a certain central midfielder playing in Holland"

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

But, why did you feel the need to come here and be discouraging?

Discouraging?

This is a discussion board, is it not? The topic is about wearing black to BMO Field. All I did was weight in on the discussion. Sorry if I was being "discouraging"...

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Bobby should run on the platform of "vote for me and I will guarantee to deliver to the MNT a certain central midfielder playing in Holland"

I like that.Bobby has been for many years the CSA biggest critic and maybe the decision of Jonathan was the initial warning as well.I can assure you that he and the boys are following this with very great interest and are totally in the corners of total support.

Now more than ever I think we should do this protest.Soccercentral today was right on the spot.

Players have same opinion something has to change on the top.we must put our difference on side and pull this one.Media pressure,official statements,protest,emails,whatever it takes to get rid of CSA board.Use your contacts and connections to keep this in media.There is a poll on sportsnet.ca results will be next week at soccercentral,another opportunity to get public about CSA.

ALL FOR ONE !!

Spoke to Bobby Deguzman and suggested he run for president of the CSA and Bobby said he would be very interested if he could burn the whole forest.

Just what we need to get Deguzman's head bigger than it already is. He is more interested in the $$$ success of his boys and nothing else.

I think organising the black shirt protest is just great. It will send the write message. All the power to the guys organising it. Its about time the canadian fans organised themselves and made their vooice heard.

Forget the naysayers on here, and even the long term supporters. I have read and posted on here for years, contributed cash to supporting the site (and would do so again), and believe the voyageurs is a great source of info. Fact is though that like the csa, it has no effective structure and cannot be relied upon to organise any constructive opposition to the csa.

If you get your message out in the media, on the blogs, and at the stadium by selling shirts outside, you will make your point. If you all you get is a couple of sections in black, that will be great.

As for the players, don't worry about them. They will be over the moon that they actually have a large contingent of fans that care. Something they never have had. After years of playing abroad in front of 5 canadian fans or at home in front of crowd that mostly supports the other side, they will now have the opportunity to play in front of a laegre and vocal group of fans that care and who show their disgust at the csa. They will note and appreciate that.

A couple of points should wish to take them. Perhaps limit your anti-csa chants to starting at the end of the canadian national anthem until the opening kick off. Hand out a one page sheet at every gate stating this to all fans entering with the appropriate chant. That way the point is made, but during the match you can concentrate the cheering for th side. Encourage those that want to wear red to wear black until the opening kick off and then to change into red. That way they can make the point but also support the side once the match starts. The black streamers before the match starts and banners are great as well.

Good luck!

I just have a great problem with doing anything at all during the match. It is controversy that just sits not right with me. I really want to concentrate on the match and totally support our players. We can have that march from the Princess gate to the stadium. Alert the media and give them the opportunity to interview and or take pictures. Unite all the various groups and wear that red shirts. Just banners will do as well as flyer's and statements as well as recommendations. Hey we may even have some guys fly in to represent other provinces with their banners.We should appoint some spokes persons from the various groups and get it on U tube as well.I think we should sent out media releases to all the individual directors across canada,CSA and Provincial and notify every media outlet in Canada.I hope that when we are talking to the media we make it very clear that we are here to support our team in it's first game ever in our stadium.I just don't see these black shirts making any sense at all.It is bad enough to go to that game and be outnumbered again by the opposition and this time our choice,just hate that idea. There must be another way to protest without that black shirt business.I have waited for to many years for our stadium and than not to see the shirt and colour. Anyway,you got the message and they will too without that shirt,besides they even could call us traitors .

Guest speedmonk42

Upside down Canada flags as well.

Sign of distress. This was discussed before as well. It will show up on TV well if the flags are upside down.

Who do we have to pay/bribe at BMO to get the flag upside down in the stadium?

Guest speedmonk42

I think John, that there can be a balance.

I was opposed to it at first when people were talking about being silent or turning their backs and things like that. That just hurts the players.

Wear black, put up banners but CHEER for the team.

What will the guys do to the ones that are wearing our shirt give them the finger or start an argument or even worse.There are these hot heads that may just over react.Will it be a crime to wear your Canadian shirt that day and will this stadium be without one.Maybe a black scarf or white scarf at least. Hey they had that at the Vancouver hockey game,worked like a charm as well.

So get w white scarf instead or even white towel, but we must be in our Canadian shirt and we must outnumber the other guys. So here is my suggestion,Canadian shirt and white towel or scarf.

john - the wheels are in motion... while we respect your opinion, to throw out a suggestion about wearing white after it has already been communicated to other groups is just going to make things worse.

I personally don't understand the problem with wearing a black t-shirt. Paint a red flag on your face, wear a red scarf, red shorts whatever, but the thought that wearing a red shirt (especially when it's the same colour as our opponents and the empty seats) will be visually significant is a stretch...

In my opinion, no one will confuse this intentions of a standing, chanting and clapping Voyageur just because he has a black shirt on...

What will the guys do to the ones that are wearing our shirt give them the finger or start an argument or even worse.There are these hot heads that may just over react.Will it be a crime to wear your Canadian shirt that day and will this stadium be without one.Maybe a black scarf or white scarf at least. Hey they had that at the Vancouver hockey game,worked like a charm as well.

So get w white scarf instead or even white towel, but we must be in our Canadian shirt and we must outnumber the other guys. So here is my suggestion,Canadian shirt and white towel or scarf.

John, I myself respect each persons free will to do as they please and I encourage everyone else in favour of the pprotest to do the same I intend to be active in organizing the protest but I wont take it persomally if you or G-L or some others tell me to my face that you disagree with how we are doing it. We are all big boys here...in this polarized society, a little rspect for others opinions is needed. However, just because I respect your opinion regarding a game day proterst that does not mean I will sit on my butt and do nothing. I believe a public protest, on the biggest stage a soccer fan protest will ever have in a long time, is an opportunity that can't be ignored.

i really dont understand why anyone thinks we will do anything to hurt the players. the only reason we bother to protest and do all the work involved is that we want to create a better development model for the players. i for one will be leaving my lungs at BMO., cheering for the home team.

Whatever guys i will probably be in the pressbox and may get you some feedback as well.

Just don't like that black shirt idea at all.

Has this ever been tried in other countries a form of protest against the Association.

I very strongly suggest that the appropiate media releases will be sent from the various groups involved and get a unified statement put together but make it uniform and simple. This is to just get the ball rolling.

I suppose that L.T may have an updated media listing to be used and one for all of Canada. I don't know if these guys will pick up on this. I still think that march would be a lot better and even a lot of fun. Just from these gates to the stadium.I guess we could get at least 800 to 900 or even a lot more guys and girls having a good shout pratise your songs together and make it clear with these towels what it is all about.

john tv do us a favor and don't post in this topic anymore,just like Jeffrey(big respect for that Jeff).

We know were you stand,thanks for opinions now let us carry over from here.

We will need thread for ordering T-shirts,RPB are asking where and when they can order BLACK T-shirt and what will be written on them.We are rolling now there is no back from this point.

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

john tv do us a favor and don't post in this topic anymore,just like Jeffrey(big respect for that Jeff).

We will need thread for ordering T-shirts,RPB are asking where and when they can order BLACK T-shirt and what will be written on them.We are rolling now there is no back from this point.

Agreed. Time for debate has passed.

Have you contacted the U-Sector ?

With a name like Tito how can I resist I have no choice!LOL

Who is this bird TITO anyway. It seems like a new poster and mr Ramrod would be more appropitae. What are your credentials tito?

Guest Jeffery S.

No respect at all, you can screw off. The only reason I deleted my posts was because of the total lack of respect from the people pushing this ahead so chaotically and in a way that is so poorly thought out. My opinion, and this being a fan forum where people opinionate, is that you'll get press by wearing black, that 10% of the stadium that will do so, because the press will pick up on anything. But a lot less than the press can give you in that context, for some really simple reasons. See my comment on the Score thread.

Only just over 5,000 tickets have been sold for the match....not only does this in itself reflect the troubles hounding the CSA, but I'm assuming 90% of those sold are the real Canadian soccer fans on this board and a few others. It would make a great statement on television if the majority of the small crowd wore black...tough to ignore and it will give the media a reason to continue to keep pressure on the CSA.

Archived