Black Wednesday -- the CSA protest

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Alas, due to geography, I won't be in attendance at the CR match, but I will be wearing my black Canada t-shirt in support of the movement.

Cheers.

No excuse! Its only like what, 3 days driving? lol

I will be wearing a black shirt under my red jersey (which is partly black anyways). I think we could also wear black arm bands.

Funeral procession could be done as well. But this would require a LOT more planning to organize it correctly.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Strong points. I'd like to go back to the radio marketing for a second and point out how futile that is. What is it about the audience on "the fan" or 640 that really makes them think they are reaching their target market? The smart move would have been to run print adds in the monday paper right next to the crap load of EPL coverage that seems to be showing up as of late. That would be the most direct way to get things done.

Grass roots marketing would be smart as well, as was pointed out. It obviously worked for the U20.

Agreed, advertising on sports specialty radio stations is merely preaching to the converted.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

T-Shirt Update:

I am ready to place an order for 1000 T-Shirts but we need artwork for the front of the shirt. It will be tight but we should be able to turn 1000 shirts around by Tuesday night (Sept 11) or Wednesday morning (sept 12) but I must have art by Tuesday morning.

I am not an artist. Who here is a graphic artist? who has anyone got ideas for the front of the shirt.

I was thinking of something like a crest with a Maple Leaf and a soccer ball with the words Canadian Soccer Supporters United and then some anti CSA Slogan on the chest. That's just my thoughts. But we need to make something happen fast.

You need to act quickly. I think alot of people are confused about the event and think they just need to bring their own black t-shirt.

VPjr you will get stuck with a lot of T's if that is the case.

My suggestion is to get a design/artwork ready ASAP (This Monday the latest) post the T's for sale on the three boards and then take the orders through paypal. The quicker the better.

Otherwise people will just wear black and you'll be stuck with a ****load of T's

My art suggestion btw:

CSA

WTF!

It will back fire and I will not give up L.T I know I am right and I also can say that I am probably one of Canada's best and biggest soccer promoters and you probably know anyway. I can't for the life of me seeing Dutch guys or English guys not wearing their shirt or uniforms at international games. This stuff is holy.This is the first time our full team is playing in this stadium and the fans are wearing non Canadian shirts,it is criminal and so misguided. No wonder we are in such deep sh,,,t, these nitwits who are running this thing are also running the CSA, same stupid decisions and not thought through. OK traitors have it your way!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by FluSH

You need to act quickly. I think alot of people are confused about the event and think they just need to bring their own black t-shirt.

VPjr you will get stuck with a lot of T's if that is the case.

My suggestion is to get a design/artwork ready ASAP (This Monday the latest) post the T's for sale on the three boards and then take the orders through paypal. The quicker the better.

Otherwise people will just wear black and you'll be stuck with a ****load of T's

My art suggestion btw:

CSA

WTF!

I agree that quick action is needed. If I get artwork that I can bring to my shirt guy on Tuesday, I will pull the trigger and get 1000 shirts made. Tuesday is the drop dead date. If I go ahead with the order. I'll be sure to post everywhere necessary and notify media and bloggers.

I'm not looking to profit on this. You'll be asked to pay $5.00 on game day. Just bring $5.00...Please don't expect me to make change. I'll set up in the south parking lot at Exhibition Place near where the RPB's gather for pre-game bevvies about 3-4 hours before the game. You'll find me.

if there is no artwork, I will just notify everyone to simply bring a black shirt of their own.

1000 people wearing the same shirt will be far more impactful than everyone bringing their own but either way will still send a message. We just need to make sure that when we contact the media, they know exactly what our message is (We love our players but we also want major reform of the CSA). We dont want the hypothesizing why people are wearing black. We want them to be on message.

I don't want to get stuck with shirts but if I am left with 100 units, that will be a big success, IMO. I can move the balance to people who could not make it to the game but who want to support the protest.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I agree that quick action is needed. If I get artwork that I can bring to my shirt guy on Tuesday, I will pull the trigger and get 1000 shirts made. Tuesday is the drop dead date. If I go ahead with the order. I'll be sure to post everywhere necessary and notify media and bloggers.

I'm not looking to profit on this. You'll be asked to pay $5.00 on game day. Just bring $5.00...Please don't expect me to make change. I'll set up in the south parking lot at Exhibition Place near where the RPB's gather for pre-game bevvies about 3-4 hours before the game. You'll find me.

if there is no artwork, I will just notify everyone to simply bring a black shirt of their own.

1000 people wearing the same shirt will be far more impactful than everyone bringing their own but either way will still send a message. We just need to make sure that when we contact the media, they know exactly what our message is (We love our players but we also want major reform of the CSA). We dont want the hypothesizing why people are wearing black. We want them to be on message.

I don't want to get stuck with shirts but if I am left with 100 units, that will be a big success, IMO. I can move the balance to people who could not make it to the game but who want to support the protest.

OK it is a money thing,come on guys this is a joke,wait till the media gets hold of this one,selling Canada down the river,keep that red shirt and wear that black one for your funeral. That's what is is good for your funeral. What song do you want to hear while you ,anyway. Stop that crap. Don't sell Canada,promote it,capice.

Some of this Anti protest stuff is really a stretch. People are going to stay away from the game because their very attendance will be seen as a political act? Wearing black will lead everyone to believe we don't support our players and cause some kind of national shame?

Guys, reality check. The MNT has yet to arive in Canada in any reasonable form. Standards for supporting the national team by and large hardly exist in a way that the media as a whole recognizes. The only indication we have so far on this is positive (from Ben Knight who said he would be wearing black in the press box).

If you can be Canadian and show up to BMO field in an Argentina Jersey and cheer against your own national team, i doubt you'll cause a public outcry by wearing black.

John, if you think selling tshirts made in Canada for 5 bucks each is going to earn anyone money you know sweet eff all about textile prices. Selling Canada down the river? That comment is the joke.

VP is trying to actually organize something, using his free time to put a protest together and someone has the nerve to shoot this guy down? Bull sh1t. Do something that gets on TV and gets casual fans to TAKE NOTICE this is a fine idea and no better idea has been suggested.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

John, if you think selling tshirts made in Canada for 5 bucks each is going to earn anyone money you know sweet eff all about textile prices. Selling Canada down the river? That comment is the joke.

VP is trying to actually organize something, using his free time to put a protest together and someone has the nerve to shoot this guy down? Bull sh1t. Do something that gets on TV and gets casual fans to TAKE NOTICE this is a fine idea and no better idea has been suggested.

Thanks Soju...your words of support are appreciated.

I can accept people criticizing the idea of the Black Shirts (everyone is entitled to an opinion) but to imply I am trying to make money with the Black Shirt idea....well, that's beyond a cheap shot. It's just plain moronic. Johnny boy, I suggest you come to the parking lot on the 12th and tell me to my face that I am selling this country down the river.

Making a 40 cent profit per shirt is not what I would call doing something for the money...I could make more money with a lemonade stand and it would be a hell of a lot less work and risk. I'm prepared to put up $4500.00 of my own money to make this possible. So, if</u> at the end of the day I have a $500.00 "profit" to show for it, and that assumes I sell every shirt I buy, that $500.00 will go to covering the cost of renting a van to bring the boxes of shirts to the game, putting gas in the van, taking time off work to get things organized, etc... Wow, what a bastard I must be to try to profit so extravangtly off fellow Canadian soccer supporters.

John, I suggest you make a visit to see your physician...it appears that you are going senile.

I have to wonder if john truly was successful at PR. PR is all about making the media stand up and take notice of you. Simply sitting on your hands, merrily singing pro-Canada songs, all while ignoring the CSA situation? Sorry, wrong move. Media won't care, and those that do will probably write off the fans and will agree that nothing will change.

This, on the other hand, says something. The letters going out from here, the songs, the noticeable black shirts, the banners, and to top it off, actually giving them a heads-up as to what's coming? It'll get noticed. I've talked to one media member already who said he'd notice it (and has), and will mention it specifically.

Great job on the organization, guys.

VPjr,

Flatpicker and Soapwith over at RPB are usually our go-to guys for design work. Flatpicker has already committed a design to be completed by Monday. I will send him a PM just to remind him. The Usec guys also have talent - not sure if they been notified.

Also, we have many people willing to help and volunteer. If you do order the T's reach out to us for help. We will be able to accomplish more with heads from RPB/U-sec assisting you.

Cheers,

A couple of words on the t-shirt idea - I don't know if it is too late, but I suggest just having everyone coming in with their own black t-shirts then trying to sell them shirts outside the stadium prior to the game. The legal side of my mind wonders there might be an issue with selling "merchandise" to wear at a game on Exhibition grounds without a licenese. Normally I suspect you might get away with it because it would be so low profile, but if the word spreads or there is a big line-up for the tickets then it might not be so low profile.

The bigger problem though is that this is a Wednesday night game which starts at 7pm. We've seen time & time again that 7pm is a notoriously difficult time for people (including supporters) to make for games at BMO Field on a weeknight, with crowds at TFC games not filling up until half-time. I don't know how many people are going to be interested in lining up for black t-shirts outside the stadium when trying to rush to get to their seats, and even if you do get some people, you run a strong risk of making the stadium look even more empty when the game begins, thus defeating the purpose of both the protest & the support for Canada. When the game is on nobody is going to notice a slow trickle of people wearing black t-shirts make their way into the stands.

Guys, I really appreciate the words of support.

FLuSh, you can be sure that if I pull the trigger on this, I will be leaning heavily on RPB and U-Sector because I know you guys are well organized. I will also look for whatever support I can get from like minded members of this board.

I posted a request for help in designing the shirt on U-Sector's site late last night. I saw that the request had already been made at RPB's site and that is appreciated. Whoever designed their USIL logo did a great job and I'd love to see something similar as a shield for this shirt.

I saw slogan that read as follows:

Canadian

Soccer

Amateurs

I think that slogan is pretty catchy and it captures one of the main complaints about the CSA, which is that it is not run by professionals.

I await any design suggestions. Hopefully some are forthcoming. Thank you all for your words and offers of suport

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Some of this Anti protest stuff is really a stretch. People are going to stay away from the game because their very attendance will be seen as a political act? Wearing black will lead everyone to believe we don't support our players and cause some kind of national shame?

Guys, reality check. The MNT has yet to arive in Canada in any reasonable form. Standards for supporting the national team by and large hardly exist in a way that the media as a whole recognizes. The only indication we have so far on this is positive (from Ben Knight who said he would be wearing black in the press box).

If you can be Canadian and show up to BMO field in an Argentina Jersey and cheer against your own national team, i doubt you'll cause a public outcry by wearing black.

I think you are reacting to the rather OTT comments from people and missing sight of what the real concern is. Nobody thinks a public outcry will occur from a few people wearing black t-shirt's in the stand. The concern is that if all of the energy & enthusiasm for the game is centred around hatred for the CSA, it will get in the way of what is truly important, which is passionately supporting Canada. Let's face it, you could have the most brilliantly efficient FA behind a country, but it won't matter one jot if the support for the team is not there.

I can not stress this enough, but the support for Canada has to be paramount. We need to make BMO Field a fortress that is even more imposing for the opposition in national team games than it is for TFC games, because 1. a lot more will be at stake in WCQ than your average TFC game and 2. the quantity of opposition supporters can potentially be greater than anything we've seen thus far at TFC games. Mexican fans, for example, will show up en masse anywhere. BMO's Field's reputation as an impossible place for Concacaf opposition to play needs to start here. We may not get another chance before qualifiers begin. This could be Canada's version of Azteca, where we can deploy our 12th man game in & game out, with a reputation that opposition teams fear ahead of time. I don't know if it will happen for this match though with the way things are developing. Not just with the lower ticket sales but the fan support that is actually going as well - hopefully it will change as the game gets closer but it does seem like the emphasis is on protest, and not on making this a Canadian fortress.

A visual protest should happen in some way to keep the ball rolling with the media who are already calling for a "Crawford" report to reform Canadian soccer as was done recently in Australia. Wear your black t-shirts instead of your Canada jerseys if you feel you must, but while that is happening, I want to see the Tico's come out of the stadium so shell-shocked by the support & passion for Canada that they won't know what hit them.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

A couple of words on the t-shirt idea - I don't know if it is too late, but I suggest just having everyone coming in with their own black t-shirts then trying to sell them shirts outside the stadium prior to the game. The legal side of my mind wonders there might be an issue with selling "merchandise" to wear at a game on Exhibition grounds without a licenese. Normally I suspect you might get away with it because it would be so low profile, but if the word spreads or there is a big line-up for the tickets then it might not be so low profile.

The bigger problem though is that this is a Wednesday night game which starts at 7pm. We've seen time & time again that 7pm is a notoriously difficult time for people (including supporters) to make for games at BMO Field on a weeknight, with crowds at TFC games not filling up until half-time. I don't know how many people are going to be interested in lining up for black t-shirts outside the stadium when trying to rush to get to their seats, and even if you do get some people, you run a strong risk of making the stadium look even more empty when the game begins, thus defeating the purpose of both the protest & the support for Canada. When the game is on nobody is going to notice a slow trickle of people wearing black t-shirts make their way into the stands.

G-L, you certainly make good points on both fronts. Because the game is on a Wednesday, I agree that relying on people to show up early enough to get their shirts on the day of the game is risky. This will have to be a secondary distribution plan.

I have some ideas for a primary distribution plan but that's going to require assistance from the T-Shirt supplier in terms of quicker delivery. I'm not going to bother detailing such plans yet becaus its too premature. I am going to worry first about trying to get the actual making of the T-shirts off the ground. If it does get off the ground, I'll correspond with leaders of the RPB and U-Sector to discuss my distribution ideas.

I think you are reacting to the rather OTT comments from people and missing sight of what the real concern is. Nobody thinks a public outcry will occur from a few people wearing black t-shirt's in the stand. The concern is that if all of the energy & enthusiasm for the game is centred around hatred for the CSA, it will get in the way of what is truly important, which is passionately supporting Canada. Let's face it, you could have the most brilliantly efficient FA behind a country, but it won't matter one jot if the support for the team is not there.

I can not stress this enough, but the support for Canada has to be paramount. We need to make BMO Field a fortress that is even more imposing for the opposition in national team games than it is for TFC games, because 1. a lot more will be at stake in WCQ than your average TFC game and 2. the quantity of opposition supporters can potentially be greater than anything we've seen thus far at TFC games. Mexican fans, for example, will show up en masse anywhere. BMO's Field's reputation as an impossible place for Concacaf opposition to play needs to start here. We may not get another chance before qualifiers begin. This could be Canada's version of Azteca, where we can deploy our 12th man game in & game out, with a reputation that opposition teams fear ahead of time. I don't know if it will happen for this match though with the way things are developing. Not just with the lower ticket sales but the fan support that is actually going as well - hopefully it will change as the game gets closer but it does seem like the emphasis is on protest, and not on making this a Canadian fortress.

A visual protest should happen in some way to keep the ball rolling with the media who are already calling for a "Crawford" report to reform Canadian soccer as was done recently in Australia. Wear your black t-shirts instead of your Canada jerseys if you feel you must, but while that is happening, I want to see the Tico's come out of the stadium so shell-shocked by the support & passion for Canada that they won't know what hit them.

G-L, I think it's pretty clear that people are going to cheer their hearts out for Team Canada. I know I certainly will. But before the game we'll direct our efforts on educating people on why the CSA must change. After Canada wins, we'll be celebrating the victory while wearing our shirts, reminding everyone and ourselves that 1 victory is nice but the goal must be to work to ensure that Canada wins regularly.

I agree that there is no point in having a strong association if we don't support. However, look at it a different way. Because the CSA has done such a poor job of promoting its National teams, getting them games in Canada, promoting the players, holding clinics, etc... many soccer fans have no relationship with Team Canada. The hard core group that does support Canadian Soccer, who, like you, will travel to watch them play, is relatively small, especially in terms of our ability to fill a stadium. We might be vocal but it's going to look like crap if BMO is only 25-30% full...

We need a CSA that puts value in its National Team program, particularily the men's program (I know that might upset some but it's my opinion). They need to boost the profile of the squad. Hockey Canada does a far better job promoting the 16-19 year olds who play for Team Canada at the World Juniors each year than the CSA does promoting a National Side full of professionals. The CSA is just such a rudderless ship that they make it difficult to support, especially if you are simply a soccer fan, rather than hardcore fanatic. That's one of the most important things that must change. It must be MUCH easier to support this team that it is currently. They appear clueless in how to make this happen. Maybe the simple answer is that the CSA needs to contract the administration of the National Team, including Public Relations, to MLSE. Paul Beirne and his crew have certainly found a way to make it very easy for fans to support our Reds. They did a better job of promoting the Argentina-Canada U20 Exhibition game than the CSA is doing with a Senior Men's friendly.

I think 1000 might be overdoing it a bit, VPjr, given only 5000 tickets are rumoured to have been sold so far and many people might opt for a black t-shirt that they already have in their possession anyway rather than spending the $5. Logistically it will be difficult to distribute these for a weeknight 7pm k.o. as well. Interest expressed in about 50 so far on the RPB board thread with Shoeless Joe's at King and Dufferin probably being the best place to distribute them pregame.

http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=2561&threadid=163248

I think you are reacting to the rather OTT comments from people and missing sight of what the real concern is. Nobody thinks a public outcry will occur from a few people wearing black t-shirt's in the stand.

I have a good idea of what the arguments are and have no trouble seperating them in my mind. People are making silly statements to justify their viewpoint and scare people off protesting. That was the point of my post, so we can move on from there.

I have no problem respecting someone's opinion that they are going to wear red and white to the game.

1000 t-shirts seems like a lofty goal. I'd hate to see you stuck with the bill for those extra shirts. I think a reasonable number would be something like the amount of pre orders you get + 50-200 extras to sell on the spot.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

It will back fire and I will not give up L.T I know I am right and I also can say that I am probably one of Canada's best and biggest soccer promoters and you probably know anyway. I can't for the life of me seeing Dutch guys or English guys not wearing their shirt or uniforms at international games. This stuff is holy.This is the first time our full team is playing in this stadium and the fans are wearing non Canadian shirts,it is criminal and so misguided. No wonder we are in such deep sh,,,t, these nitwits who are running this thing are also running the CSA, same stupid decisions and not thought through. OK traitors have it your way!!!!!!

Your small brain really does not have the ability to think outside the box does it John. In order to create change and think about "the big picture" there is going to be some difficult times, but in order for Canadian Soccer to grow we as fans must stand up and show our displeasure with the CSA on a national stage. Wear your "red" shirt if you feel you're making a difference. We are still supporting the players, who themselves have said they are not happy with the CSA....you simply just don't seem to understand.

Archived