Fire Dale Mitchell's a$$

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate long ball and would honestly rather see us lose than win by playing it. I'm a Canadian supporter but I'm also a fan of the beautiful game and any coach who plays route 1 football for 90 minutes deserves the sack! SEE WHAT THE MNT ARE DOING? DO THAT! DEROSARIO FOR U-20 COACH!

I concur. Mitchell failed to get it done when it mattered the most. If this was any other country or hell if this was Hockey Mitchell would be out the door an hour ago. If we want to truly show the world that we are serious about soccer, we have to do the right thing and punish failure, not reward it. Please CSA do the right thing.

quote:Originally posted by Kye

I concur. Mitchell failed to get it done when it mattered the most. If this was any other country or hell if this was Hockey Mitchell would be out the door an hour ago. If we want to truly show the world that we are serious about soccer, we have to do the right thing and punish failure, not reward it. Please CSA do the right thing.

I agree completely with this. What other organization would possibly let a coach have such a low level of accountability?

he could not even get the whitecaps to the championship game in the USL when it matters that is why he was let go for the best interest of the franchise and the CSA give him the MNT skipper position.

Mitchell's got the job, so give it a rest. You can't fire him from a posting he's not even started yet. Get over yourselves and move on. If Mitchell sucks for WCQ, then have your pound of flesh.

Not a whole lot of rational thought round these parts lately?

Listen, I know everybody is hurting after a piss-poor tournament, but I honestly feel our expectations were way out of whack, and if anything these results show that we as a nation--at a levels--must do more to improve the game. But to paraphrase Holger Osiek--and Bruce Arena said the same thing of US football pre-MLS--we cannot expect the country's soccer association to develop world class athletes. Hockey Canada does NOT develop world class junior teams. They will pick a coach, but it is the junior hockey teams that develop players into young pros. Until our corporate elite step up and invest in the game--whether owning an MLS franchise, our sponoring teams etc--our young men will continue to struggle at this level. We need better coaching at youth levels, sure, but real development comes when a young man starts training everyday in a club environment.

One other note: Our midfield was poor, but imagine if Lensky, DeGuzman and Vittoria joined Peters in mid. That would be a step up, for sure. That is the other trick: How do you get young men who are mostly hell-bent on playing for their parent's homeland to play for Canada? The only way, as far as I can see, is to build a winning tradition. The CSA needs to put the money into the MNT. And we need more Canadians in MLS--then Europe.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

I hate long ball and would honestly rather see us lose than win by playing it. I'm a Canadian supporter but I'm also a fan of the beautiful game and any coach who plays route 1 football for 90 minutes deserves the sack! SEE WHAT THE MNT ARE DOING? DO THAT! DEROSARIO FOR U-20 COACH!

This point could be addressed in many threads running right now, but I believe you've said what a lot of people who've followed the MNT for awhile are thinking. However, upon reflection, I don't think we have it quite right. I honestly believe that Mitchell is ultimately a good tactician. Save for Chile, which is a bit of a write-off, Mitchell's adjustments were reasonable. My only complaint would be that we started to panic a little and went to the longball too early against Austria. Having said this, I'm sure Dale decided in advance that 4 points were enough and when things started going wrong in the second game he wanted to press for the draw and try our luck against Congo. And had Jackson converted, the tourney may have gone a different way for us.

The real disappointment for me is that the best starting 11 was never selected after all those friendlies. Haber seemed to be directly responsible for most of the goals, while both Lumley and Nana seemed to play with much more poise and were overlooked in the CB position. And why it took three matches to get KOA in there is beyond me. In retrospect, he had a *lot* to do with Peters success against Brasil.

The only guy in the U-20 midfield with a hope at the senior team in Will Johnson. Even then, he will have to really develop to be in the class of Hutch or Bobby. Given this, Mitchell's hands were somewhat tied in terms of playing the attractive style displayed at the Gold Cup. Hopefully Hart can help him out with player selection, cause I can guarantee right now he's not getting fired over this. Though, I wouldn't fully disagree if he was.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Mitchell's got the job, so give it a rest. You can't fire him from a posting he's not even started yet. Get over yourselves and move on. If Mitchell sucks for WCQ, then have your pound of flesh.

Not a whole lot of rational thought round these parts lately?

No Beaver, the rational thing would be to let Hart continue the good run of form of the MNT. The irrational thing would be to give the reigns of a MNT program that is looking pretty good to a guy who just went 3 losses and out of a World Cup played AT HOME.

It just doesnt look good.

I'm sorry but Mitchell cant lace up the boots and score a goal and tonight every chance we had in the ten yard box we looked liked an under 12 team not a under 20 just brutal. Mitchell did his job and the boys let him down.

We, as supporters of Canadian soccer, need to draw the proverbial line in the sand!

If we have any self respect, we can't continue to support this garbage. The time has come to demand more...to demand better! I am embarassed and I should hope that others feel the same. We dont accept this crap in hockey. Why do we accept it from our soccer teams?

Is the CSA the body that can develop top soccer talent in this country? I say NO. The proof was on display these last 8 days. They might be fine at running rec soccer in conjunction with the provincial bodies but they have no ability to field quality elite teams. Our U-17s failed to qualify for their WC and yet Stephen Hart is named interim head coach of the senior team and is named assistant coach when they named Mitchell as head coach. Mitchell had one good run 4 years ago at the U20 level but otherwise has not really delivered much success and he gets promoted. We have not made the World Cup with our senior team in 21 years and yet no substantive changes to the structure of the CSA are made. The US, at the same time, has become a formidable soccer nation, winning Gold Cups, doing decent in World Cupsw, starting a professional league and creating programs to develop elite talent (i.e. the Bradenton residency program). The US beats Brazil on Friday and wins their group (the supposed group of death) yet all we Canadians can do is pray for a lousy goal so we don't set another dubious record for futility. Is that what we are all about...are we just a bunch of losers with lowered expectations or is something going to be done about this?

I, for one, have shot off an email to every media outlet i could think of in this country demanding the resignation or firing of Dale Mitchell. This is his team. In any self respecting soccer nation, this man would be tarred and feathered for the humiliation his group has caused the country. I wouldn't let him coach my son's U-6 team at this point. He is now a discredited figure who lacked the vision and PASSION to lead our young men to victory. He can not be allowed to continue as a coach in any capacity on a national level because that sends the message that failure is ok and that embarassing the country will go unpunished. We are not dealing with a provincial team playing in some BS tournament. We are dealing with the national U20 mens program, the 2nd highest level of play (supposedly) in our country and this man led them to a series of pathetic and dispationate defeats. The reason the hockey pucks in this country laugh at soccer is precisely because we reward failure in soccer whereas they throw losers to the lions. Mitchell is a loser and needs to be thrown out with yesterday's trash.

Furthermore, the key players on this team need to also be punished for their completely unacceptable performances. None of the key players, not even David Edgar, can be rewarded with senior team caps for a long time (minimum of 5 years). You simply can't reward failure. We dont put kids on the honour role for getting D's and F's. These players demonstrated very little quality in their play and, what's worse, they showed little or no heart. Even tonight, although they played better, their performance can not be called "good but unlucky". Rather, they put on a clinic on how not to finish. I have seen U-16 teams with better finish than what was on display tonight. By punishing the players it sends the message to the kids who are 16, 17 and 18, who hope to put on the Canadian kit in 2 years time, that they had better be ready to compete and give 100% for 90 minutes each and every time they take to the pitch and demonstrate skill, hustle and heart. I am not applying this punishment to the younger memebers of the squad or the ones who received little playing time. This applies only to the core players (Edgar, Peters, Johnson, Begovic). These were the men, all professionals, who were supposed to lead this team but instead they rolled over and played dead.

Some may feel that I am being stupid, ridiculous and over the top. I say to them that you will be the ones sitting on the couch in 18 months time wondering why they senior MNT has failed to qualify for the 2010 WC. Now I know why kids like JDG2 and Hargreaves, etc.... are willing to sell out and play for another country. Some people simply have pride and can't stomach the constant humiliation of being associated with soccer in this country. Trust me, we won't be able to simply brush this humiliation off. This will have reprecussions. This will stick to us like skunk's scent. If you think the Steven Vittoria's of the world are jerks, just wait because, after this, there are bound to be more just like him and you will be forced to create a new stickied thread on this message board called "The Mother of All Traitors Aborad".

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Furthermore, the key players on this team need to also be punished for their completely unacceptable performances. None of the key players, not even David Edgar, can be rewarded with senior team caps for a long time (minimum of 5 years).

I agree in general but looking at our defender situation I don't think we can do without a guy like Edgar who, marginal tournament aside, is good enough to start in the Premiership against the likes of Man United. He is at least our five or sixth man even if everyone is healthy and available. Agreed that none of the others deserve much more of a look just yet, with the possible exception of Peters who will probably still be in the mix (a growing list) of midfielders who can offer something off of the bench for the senior nats.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I agree in general but looking at our defender situation I don't think we can do without a guy like Edgar who, marginal tournament aside, is good enough to start in the Premiership against the likes of Man United. He is at least our five or sixth man even if everyone is healthy and available. Agreed that none of the others deserve much more of a look just yet, with the possible exception of Peters who will probably still be in the mix (a growing list) of midfielders who can offer something off of the bench for the senior nats.

While I agree that Edgar might be needed at the Senior level, sometimes you need to take a stand and take it on the chin. I am sure some other young central defender can be found (i.e. Hainault) to line up next to McKenna that can take the spot that we have sort of gifted to Edgar. David can earn his way onto the team at some point in the future but for the short term, he and his teammates need to feel the sting of defeat in a very tangible way. If that means they throw a hissy fit and turn their backs on Canada, so be it. With the peformance that put forth in this tournament, they basically have already turned their backs on the fans in this country because I refuse to believe that was the best they could do.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Listen, I know everybody is hurting after a piss-poor tournament, but I honestly feel our expectations were way out of whack, and if anything these results show that we as a nation--at a levels--must do more to improve the game.

I agree that expectations were out of whack, but I'm talking about expectations of quarterfinals or beyond. I think expectations of the second round, which were shared even by Mitchell, were reasonable, but let's forget even about that for now. Let's look at what happened, because that's what people are reacting to: is expecting more than what we saw in those three games really out of whack?

I hear Abbotsford is looking for a new coach now that Colin Miller has left the country - might be a good fit, that is, if they would agree to take him. Only in Canada would the same coach with the same results be moving on to the top job in the senior squad.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I, for one, have shot off an email to every media outlet i could think of in this country demanding the resignation or firing of Dale Mitchell.

Furthermore, the key players on this team need to also be punished for their completely unacceptable performances. None of the key players, not even David Edgar, can be rewarded with senior team caps for a long time (minimum of 5 years).

This has to be the most ridiculously OTT suggestion I have ever seen. If the players are the ones who are to be blamed so much that they deserve to be deliberately punished in the way you are mentioning, then why are you even asking for Mitchell to be fired before he coaches a game with the senior team? How can it be entirely their fault as well as entirely Mitchell's fault?

I'm all for demanding & encouraging for improvements to be made, but this talk of punishment is ridiculous. The players, coaches & fans have all been punished enough as it is by what has happened.

As Canadian supporters we need to support Canada no matter what happens, win or lose.

Archived