June 18, Canada v Italy, POST-Match [R]

beachesl

it would be nice if we got a british guy to call the play by play as well...as dobson is atrocious at understanding the flow and pace of the game...and just adds zero excitement or credibility. sportsnet should follow suit on foxsportsworld, who have an english guy that calls the play on a league matches...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by lefoot

it would be nice if we got a british guy to call the play by play as well...as dobson is atrocious at understanding the flow and pace of the game...and just adds zero excitement or credibility. sportsnet should follow suit on foxsportsworld, who have an english guy that calls the play on a league matches...

So, what we need are snazzy new kits and a foreign play-by-play man, and we're through to the finals? [:P]

I think this thread has just about run it's course.

quote:Originally posted by canso

The Final Review from FIFA:

Canada coach Dale Mitchell led his team all the way to the quarter-finals at UAE 2003, but he was under no illusions that the Canadians faced a tall order in reproducing that fantastic championship run… and the order ultimately proved too tall. Mitchell's game-plan was to get three points on the board quickly and try to build confidence and momentum within the team, but when Syria held firm for a draw in the opener, Canada were left with too much to do against Colombia and Italy.

Three points against the Italians would have been enough to keep the Canucks alive and though Mitchell went for it by taking the game to Italy, they paid a hefty price in a 4-1 defeat. Mitchell will still be around when Canada hosts the FIFA World Youth Championship in 2007, as will what he calls his "nucleus of great leaders" in Jaime Peters, Will Johnson and David Edgar, though Nik Ledgerwood - Mitchell's pick of the bunch at Netherlands 2005 - will be ineligible through age. The coach has vowed to work hard to make Canada a force to be reckoned with when they get on home turf in two years' time.

Did Mitchell actually said that? wow! I wonder what we would have looked like if he had had the team played defensively.

Good lord-someone again calling for 'a British guy' as if that's the magical cure-all for TV football in Canada?

Give it up.

As for Craig's 'down to a science' comment, come off it. Italian soccer is rife with diving and has a well-known reputation for it. The comment, to me, said "they're good at it because they do it consistently as part of their game, which sucks large".

At least when an English commentater is used ,then the game is called correctly, people of most ethnic backgrounds can understand what is happening on the pitch,and the narration continues WHEN it is necessary to explain, most North American sports commentaters in any sport, rabbit on and on , and just don't know when to shut up, Tom Larschied par example!!!!! . I like Gerry Dobson's enthusiasm for soccer , but let's not be under any illusions, the only way to sell the game, in this always -seen -to-be-struggling-country at world sports,is to sell it properly. Even the press here consistently change the league tables around to suit a Canadian culture, well soccer is NOT Canadian, it is the world's sport. This latest tournament debacle was 2 steps forward and 3 back. or does anyone seriously think we have progressed in the past 4 years?

It's the 'world's sport' as you said.

So why do we need a 'British guy' to do commentary in Canada? Does that make it more 'worldly' and acceptable?

Let Gerry learn as he continues doing a commendable job. I find it pathetic people slate him for not being 'a Brit', or for trying his best at a sport he knew little about when he started. With him in the seat right now, it gives other Canadians coming through the sports broadcasting field hope that they might be able to be a football commentator, instead of having to lose out on a job because they're not 'a Brit'.

Gerry's had about 7 years to learn his job as a Canadian soccer play by play man. and he still can't do it properly. I have no objections to a Canadian per se, but I'd rather have one that didn't go out of his way to be negative about our players, and one that could call a game competently, which Gerry can not.

Sorry, but I just don't think he's capable. Late in the Italy game he was still calling Roselund's name as being on the field passing the ball around when in fact it was Schiavoni as Roselund was on the bench. How do teach someone how not to forget that a substition that has just been made minutes ago(let alone to recognize players when they seem them)? You can't - no amount of time on the job will allow Gerry to learn that. That's just incompetence, and is just a small example of it from the recent matches, there were plenty more. You could publish a 3 volume set on Gerry's mistakes on Canadian soccer broadcasting over the years, and the total page count would be greater than that of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I agree with GL. The guy has had his chance, and to be honest it is about marketing and presenting a professional and serious level of soccer. Why would the Americans hire Latin color guys and Brits to call the games? One, they know their audience, two they know where the culture and nuance of the sport is best understood. I just never feel that GD ever has an understanding of the pace and tone of matches. He natters, tries to sound condescending, and basically just hangs on to whatever Forrest says. Try watching the Foxsportsworld coverage. Far superior play by play etc. They even do it with one guy half the time! GD not only is unaware of Canadian soccer, he has no comprehension of the world's game. I would rather have some guy who comes up through community television like that guy in the states who does Friday night fights. A hardcore boxing enthusiast who takes his analysis to another level. GD is just not on it.

And yes, we need new uniforms, if we look like we are a subpar nation, how do you think the kids feel when they walk on the field? Those kits are off the rack practically. We need a customized Canadian kit, something more marketable and stylish. The only people who wear Canadian kits off the field tend to be drunk guys from what I have seen. Kids never sport them, because they just aren't stylin.

And yes, we need new uniforms, if we look like we are a subpar nation, how do you think the kids feel when they walk on the field? Those kits are off the rack practically. We need a customized Canadian kit, something more marketable and stylish. The only people who wear Canadian kits off the field tend to be drunk guys from what I have seen. Kids never sport them, because they just aren't stylin.

Well maybe we should start a thread on a new Canadian jersey and vote on it, just like the Scarf!

And yes, we need new uniforms, if we look like we are a subpar nation, how do you think the kids feel when they walk on the field?

They feel just like Germany, Argentina, Greece, Turkey, China, Australia, and the plethora of other teams who get their kits from adidas.

Do you think Brazil feels subpar because they are wearing essentially identical kits to Portugal, Mexico, the US or Holland?

And yes, we need new uniforms, if we look like we are a subpar nation, how do you think the kids feel when they walk on the field?

They feel just like Germany, Argentina, Greece, Turkey, China, Australia, and the plethora of other teams who get their kits from adidas.

Do you think Brazil feels subpar because they are wearing essentially identical kits to Portugal, Mexico, the US or Holland?

I think the point that our uniforms lack distinctiveness is very valid. Kits of Germany, Argentina, & Greece are very distinct and there is no mistake about it. If you were to walk into a room with a TV in mute showing games from those teams, You wouldn't need to ask whose playing?

But Canada, you would never know. Ever watch Hungary or China ( to name only two) play. Their kits are identical to ours. I caught a glimpse of a game involving Hungary one time and was certain that it was Canada playing.

I think the point that our uniforms lack distinctiveness is very valid. Kits of Germany, Argentina, & Greece are very distinct and there is no mistake about it. If you were to walk into a room with a TV in mute showing games from those teams, You wouldn't need to ask whose playing?

But Canada, you would never know. Ever watch Hungary or China ( to name only two) play. Their kits are identical to ours. I caught a glimpse of a game involving Hungary one time and was certain that it was Canada playing.

thats basically my point. its nice to feel like you aren't just thrown on the field with a random pair of socks shorts and shirt...

i know this is a far far far tangent...but its about credibility and in essense confidence. it carries through on every level. i am not asking for the cameroon one piece puma kits...just something a bit more unique and identifiable!!!

thats basically my point. its nice to feel like you aren't just thrown on the field with a random pair of socks shorts and shirt...

i know this is a far far far tangent...but its about credibility and in essense confidence. it carries through on every level. i am not asking for the cameroon one piece puma kits...just something a bit more unique and identifiable!!!

Well, if we want something unique, identifiable, and distinctly Canadian, how about something like the Colorado Caribous NASL kit, circa 1978, complete with genuine looking frontier tassle thingys across the chest?

Caribous_1978.gif

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Well, if we want something unique, identifiable, and distinctly Canadian, how about something like the Colorado Caribous NASL kit, circa 1978, complete with genuine looking frontier tassle thingys across the chest?

Don't like it. To make it distinct, why not re-issue something

like the WC1986 kits? Pretty retro and you can tell it's CANADA

with the large letters across the chest.

I figure that we don't have disinctive kits mainly because we just

don't have the money. Just like Canada's basketball team, which

had to use the cookie-cutter Nike uniforms for the Sydney Olympics.

The only people who wear Canadian kits off the field tend to be drunk guys from what I have seen.

Hey I resemble that remark. But anyone with Adidas kits are going to look the same. We do look the same as China. And Greece and Finland would look idential in their whites. There's nothing you can do. We wear red and I think we should continue to do so and if we're with a major manufacturer (which is probably a good thing as far as availability) that's how it will be.

As for GD, I recall him counting down to the 80 minute mark in the second SNET broadcast against Guatemala. It's not rugby Gerry. But he's gotten much better in the last 7 years. That being said I was going to make the same point about the wingers switching sides or even when Schiavoni came on, the point was made that we were 'giving players time'. However that sub came just after Johnson committed a foul near his own area as we had taken Edgar off and had no one playing d-mid.

Vic Rauter wasn't great, but I'd take him any day of the week.

cheers,

matthew

So why do we need a 'British guy' to do commentary in Canada? Does that make it more 'worldly' and acceptable? Of course it's more worldly and acceptable, we Brits would agree that a Canadian would excel at calling an ice-hockey game, because of their vast experience. Soccer will never be accepted by the masses in Canada unless it is promoted properly, and Gerry Dobson is an absolute clown when attempting to commentate on a soccer match, as someone previously said, at times he doesn't even know the substitutions. But of couse if you're happy with second-rate commentaters, then I guess second-rate soccer will suffice also, because that is what we are getting here!

Archived