June 18, Canada v Italy, POST-Match [R]

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by James

It's pretty obvious that it wasn't the right team to send. It never really did have the same feel or confidence that we had the last time around. The results leading up should have been ringing some bells. Mitchell blew it, man.

Hey, I know we just went 0-2-1 and out so I'm arguing from a less than desirable position, but didn't this squad win three consecutive matches in a qualifying tournament hosted by a Central American country? Even in light of the adverse friendly warm up results prior to the WYC, I don't know what you could do with the player pool he choose to take to Holland.

Coaches' decisions are like players' performances on match day and they should always be critiqued. If Mitchell "blew it" with his lineup, tactics, or substitutionsduring the games, I could see your arguments, but I'm not sure that you could say the same about the squad he selected. I'm also not sure what you mean by "last time around." Are you referring to the qualifying group or the 2003 WYC?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a basic problem: our boys don't play real soccer until they play outside the country. We play a hybrid game. Until we play the same game as the rest of the world, it's unreasonable to expect success at this level."

This was a remark made by Roy Rees, the US U-17 coach in 1987, about the use of free substitutions in US soccer.

The Americans have qualified for every U-17 since it's inception and most of the U-20 tournaments. Having the Bradenton system started in recent years allows players to be identified at a young enough age and be in a place that allows them to get top athletic and academic system in place to support the existing club system. There's been a push by some that the Brandenton system should be moved into other parts of the country.

The NTC's do their job well under the circumstances, but a central training facility is needed.

Some press of the game:

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Fourth Place Finish in Group Eliminates Canada From WYC

Kerkrade, Netherlands – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U20) Team were eliminated from the FIFA World Youth Championship on Saturday after suffering a 4-1 defeat to Italy in their final game in the group stage played in Parkstad Limburg Stadium in Kerkrade, Netherlands.

The Canucks looked for an early lead in the seventh minute with a free kick by David Edgar that missed the top left corner by inches.

However, it was Italy’s Graziano Pelle who would find the back of the net first as he connected with a cross for a header in the 23rd minute.

Canada returned with several more chances to even the score, including in the 30th minute when Ryan Gyaki’s close range header bounced wide of the opposite post on a cross by Marcel De Jong.

In the second half, Italy’s Daniele Gallopa decreased Canada’s hopes of surviving the group stage with a volley past Canadian goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar in the 47th minute.

Only two minutes later, Canada’s De Jong cut the deficit back down to one with a free kick that beat Italian goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano.

Pelle scored his second on a corner in the 68th minute.

Italy’s fourth came in the 90th minute by Raffaele De Martino.

“They were the worthy victor,” said head coach Dale Mitchell. “We had a plan to break out with our speed up front; as was seen at times it was effective. Our failure was due to the inability to keep possession of the ball. When you give a team like Italy so much of the ball, they will find a way to break you down.”

Second stage (Round of sixteen) play of the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 will begin on June 21st; the championship final will take place on July 2nd in Utrecht.

Saturday, June 18, 2005 – FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 (Group E)

Parkstad Limburg Stadium - Kerkrade, Netherlands

Canada 1(0)

Italy 4(1)

Goals: Canada- De Jong (49); Italy-Pelle (23, 68), Galloppa (47), De Martino (90)

Cautions: Canada: Johnson (76); Italy-Carotti (15), Martino (76), Agnelli (84)

Canada: 1-WAGENAAR Josh; 2-RAMALHO Graham (15-STEWART Vince, 81); 3-LEDGERWOOD Nikolas ©; 4-HAINAULT Andrew; 5-PEETOOM Brad; 7-PETERS Jaime; 8-ROSENLUND Tyler (6-SCHIAVONI Carlo, 72); 9-GYAKI Ryan; 10-JOHNSON Will; 11-DE JONG Marcel; 14-EDGAR David (17-LOMBARDO Andrea, 70); Head Coach-Dale Mitchell

Subs not used: 12-O’NEILL Riley; 13-BOURGAULT Jonathan; 16-LALLI Franco; 18-CHAROWSKI Tomek; 19-BEGOVIC Asmir; 20-GIACOMI Rob; 21-KASSAYE Simon

Italy: 1-VIVIANO Emiliano ©; 2-MARZORATTI Lino; 4-NOCERINO Antonio; 5-CODA Andrea; 7-DEFENDI Marino; 8-CAROTTI Lorenzo (18-AGNELLI Cristian, 56); 9-PELLE Graziano; 11-GALLOPPA Daniele; 13-BATTAGLIA Francesco; 15-AQUILANTI Antonio (19-NIETO Francesco, 84); 16-BENTIVOGLIO Simone (17-DE MARTINO Raffaele, 71)

Subs not used: 3-D’AGOSTINO Andrea; 6-CANINI Michele; 10-TROIANO Michele; 12-VIRGILI Fabio; 14-DI DIO Palmiro; 20-COZZOLINO Giuseppe; 21-PADELLI Daniele

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2230

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Canadian under-20 team ousted by desperate Italy

Coach says preparing for 2007 will be a massive challenge

JOHN MATHEWS

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

KERKRADE, NETHERLANDS—Coach Dale Mitchell vowed to give his all to make Canada proud to be staging the next FIFA World Youth Championship after watching his side crash out of the under-20 soccer tournament in the first round.

Mitchell, who could not repeat the fabulous quarter-final run of 2003, pledged to lead his young side into his third consecutive championship two years from now when Canada qualifies automatically as host of the 24-nation event.

"We've got a lot to do to make it happen for us in 2007, both in terms of the structure and our own team," he said. "There will be a lot of expectations from abroad on us as hosts and from within Canada, so we will have to work hard to make sure those expectations are met."

Anyone who set an alarm clock early yesterday, hoping to see Canada pull off a shock win over Italy, probably wished they had stayed in bed. The Italians were 4-1 winners, but Mitchell was surprisingly glad people took the time to tune in their TVs.

"I think it's good that these games were shown on TV back home. It's great that people get to see the level we are dealing with and appreciate the standards we are up against. Perhaps they don't get to usually," Mitchell said after debriefing his players before they headed back to Canada.

That standard of play was set by an Italian team that finally started to look like Italy, bouncing back from two consecutive defeats to perform the greatest of survival acts — the last-minute fourth goal by Raffaele de Martino was just enough to lift Italy from rock bottom of the group into one of the qualifying spots for the round of 16.

For Canada, which also needed to win to make it through, the good news is it won't have to deal with the boys from Brazil on Tuesday.

Not that Mitchell wouldn't have relished the chance to still be in the tournament, but the real damage was done after Canada failed to beat Syria in the opening game and it is now the Syrians who get to stay and welcome the Brazilians.

Against Italy, Mitchell admitted he tried to be "more attack-minded" with Jaime Peters and Will Johnson causing problems on the counter, but despite a great free-kick goal by Marcel de Jong when Canada trailed 2-0, Italy always had the greater class.

"I can't complain," Mitchell added. "Once again we couldn't hold on to the ball for long enough and Italy's young professionals spread us out. On the day — and a whole lot of other days — Italy is ahead of Canada in soccer terms."

Mitchell sees much to encourage him from the players he should still have at his disposal in 2007, but he is keen to stress that just by having the event in its own backyard, Canada doesn't automatically become one of the favourites to win it.

He warned: "In Jaime Peters, Will Johnson and David Edgar, we've got a nucleus of real leaders, but home support won't be enough ... we've got to build a good team."

The Dutch are blessed with all of those factors at this tournament as a 1-0 win over Benin saw the Netherlands qualify on top of its group to earn a second-round match with Chile.

Italy's defeat of Canada secured a date with the United States in the last 16, while Argentina squeezed past Germany to line up against Colombia, which scored a hat trick of 2-0 wins in Canada's group, the latest coming over Syria.

no I am soccer beast

but that tells you one thing

there is more like him in this country

probably those 25 millions Canadians that have truely realise that the CSA product is crap and had seen enough garbage and made the wise decision and refuse to embrace mediocrity as the standard.

I am not disappointed that we have not made it to the next round

what dissapointment me is that we keep having faith in an overly distructive style of game that does not allow our players to express their creativity.

surely those players has the ability to string a few passes together since they are on pro teams in Europe

what we keep seing is a product that is made mostly with european and Usa parts but poorly design and assembled in Canada in the end as we have seen over an over does not meet the required standard to be sellable even at home.

Dale knows that there is a lot of work to do but what was done

since we qualified for this tournament almost five months ago.

were we any worse then as we were now?

did the stadium saga take away from preparing the team for this tournament.

take that 35 million dollars and build a national year round training center instead we need more that a stadium.

if this team had any kind of sustian preparation i did not see it in the games that was on tv or what was taught was wrong for the team development.

quote:Originally posted by sj

no I am soccer beast

but that tells you one thing

there is more like him in this country

probably those 25 millions Canadians that have truely realise that the CSA product is crap and had seen enough garbage.....

did the stadium saga take away from preparing the team for this tournament.

take that 35 million dollars and build a national year round training center instead we need more that a stadium.

SJ, you are wrong to blame the CSA. The CSA relies on the Provincial Soccer Associations to develop players and the Provincial Associations have not doen their job well enough.

You are also wrong to think that the CSA can use the $35Million for a training centre. The federal government is only giving the money for a stadium. It cannot be used for anything else.

Most of the players on the squad are European or NCAA base player

surely they must be have some talent in them that we refuse to use

resorting to defensive tatics.

instead of attempting to correct the problems in the design of the product the peoples involve in the blueprint find it easier to mask the flaws by resorting to overly defensive tactics.

the CSA assembled product has been mostly poor for the last 20 yrs

they had 20 yrs to improve on it we cannot afford to waste more time.

surely a clear case can be made to the Government that a yr round national training is crucial to the development of our various national teams than another stadium that will be use only 5 months in a yr if we actually play some games on home soil and bypassing all other available stadium acroos the nation.

you cannot keep trying to sell a product that keeps falling apart like that

we are not looking for a perfect product only one that has more qualities than flaws.

the CSA is more concerned about showing the world that they can stage a tournament than showing Canadians that we have a quality product on the field that is worth supporting

Mostv reaction is that Canadain does not know how to play soccer and it is impossible to argue with every time you watch one of our national teams on display.

once again Canadians soccer fan are getting short changed by the CSA.

their product will have a tough time to sell even in a flea market.

any assembled provincial team play a more complete soccer game that what we have seen from their CSA counter part.

the Fury has a more passing oriented game than our women's national team.

why do you think we rarely see a one of our national team playing against one of our club side?

is it because knowingly in term a transistion and understanding the national side would be humiliated

the Ottawa Fury or even the Montreal Xtreme would give our national women's side a clinic how to pass the ball forward or backward and actually find a partner.

those two club side will amaze you more than our national teams in terms of cohesion and passing ability.

I still beleive Canada have the players to play a more attractive style that will in the long run be beneficial in selling the game in this country.

if we change our training approach and selections in ten yrs we will have a more sustainable sucess at the international level

if we think that the approach that we took for this tournamnet is what is going to be more effective in 10 yrs then we will find our 50 yrs behind

the more we stay with that approach the wider the gap will be.

it is almost unsurmountable due to the constant lack of vision, planning by the CSA,

have a lot of respect for Dale and I beleive he had to compromise with the CSA regarding the preparation phase for this tournament

it is good that he feels that he can do the job and recognise the task ahead he should have his plan set and focus on the development of the team

his job is to get the team ready not to promote the event

the legacy has to be how we perform on the field on not the stadium

Holger did ring the alarm bell but the CSA preferred to mute it insteand of reacting positively to it.

For 2007 Canada has to select a team with the skills and confidence to play possession soccer. Seems like we are the last to put emphasis on this part of the game. Its entertaining to the fans and more effective than the counterattack style we are forced to play now. We have to change quickly not to waste our fabulous chance to put Canadian soccer on the map in Canada at the next WYC.

quote:

I don't understand how our players can be so talented with their club sides, coveted for more prestigous work overseas, but when they don the Red n' White they look like boyz playing men?

I feel that way, too. And I'm probably not the only one. We hear of how well our players are doing overseas but they seem ordinary when faced with their counterparts playing in unhearalded leagues like Honduras. My expectations are too high, I guess ... which is kind of sad, really.

Anyway, let us all hope that the CSA don't just accept this most recent dissapointment but try to learn from it. We want to be able to look forward to 2007 for more that just being the "polite" hosts to the world.

there is no expression, no creativity, therefore a complete lack of confidence. the player selection will always be loaded with politics and issues, but in the end we just play such a boring style its absolutely ridiculous and embarassing. i hate watching is sit back over and over and over. these are top youth...they should be instilled with the confidence to knock the ball around...instead...because the confidence is not created....they become insecure on the field...kicking the ball away repeatedly...intimidated on 50 50 balls...AND THOSE SERIOUSLY UGLY UNIFORMS!!! its all community league level soccer...

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Agreed. Those who come here only to propagate their negative views of the CSA might be taken slightly more seriously if they would bother to save some criticism of the provincial associations, regional associations, and grassroots coaches. These are people, not the CSA, who have the greatest impact on player development. And that is one of the main reasons why we don't have more success in these tournaments. Namely we're are not strong and confident enough on the ball. Collectively, we are not as gifted and developed as the Colombians in the technical areas, and we are not strong enough on the ball as the Italians.

One of the things that stood out for me throughout this two games versus Colombia and especially versus Italy, was how easily our players were disposessed of the ball. You don't need the circus skills of the Colombians and Brazilians to be strong on the ball.

A few general thoughts on our efforts:

1) Someone made the point prior to the start of the tourney that Canada was lacking players of the Hume and Hutchinson stature on this team, and I think that one of the biggest factors. Peters may have potential but Hume in 2003 was further along than Peters now. Same with Hutchinson and Edgar.

2) This was a young team and a bit small as well. But I think it will produce more senior NT stalwarts than 2003: I see all of Edgar, Ledgerwood, De Jong, and Peters as for sure and Hainault, Gyaki and Johnson as possibles. Ramalo also has potential.

3) We (Canada) do not know to play possession football against teams that know how to defend against it. Especially when without the ball. One excellent example - and there are many others - Ramalo plays off to DeJong who nicely one touches it up the sideline where Ramalo should have been running. Pretty much everyone was guilty of this. Getting into space with a clear passing lane to the ball is not something we did well against Italy or Syria and we didn't even try to do this against Columbia.

4) Our midfielders do not anticipate runs by the forwards quickly enough and opportunities are lost. Once in each of the Italy and the Syria game Johnson and DeJong could have been sprung in alone if Roselund and Johnson respectively had recognized the opportunity. Both times they went right to Peters and a lessor opportunity.

5) Our NCAA players may develop but are behind the Europeans in terms of playing the game. The point about the US NCAA players is well made, but ignores the fact that the US players were all at Bradenton for 3-4 years where as ours were in less intensive environments and certainly not playing together. Given the young age, the NCAA "experience" is only one year. I don't think the comparison is direct.

6) The Italian and Columbian side were far more professional in their defensive tactics and took fouls to nulify threats. The same was not true of our players.

7) We are too passive in defence, and I believe it is a fitness issue. Again, probably the difference between pro clubs and Bradenton residency versus the Canadian amateur club/provincial teams. One result is that both Italy and Syria looked more talented (individual skills) than they are as they were not making passes and touches under pressure. Italy though, is clearly better tactically and mentally stronger: again the difference of pros versus amateurs. I really think that we need to get a residency program going in BC for prospective U-XX players who are not with pro clubs. There are enough quality teams in BC to put together a decent schedule.

Most of the things I identify are matters of coaching and experience. In terms of relative talent levels, I don't really want to get into that. Lets keep in mind that the players wearing the red and white are teenagers and show a little courtesy and respect towards them. They are early in their development and most have not had the same opportunities as their European and South American counterparts.

I thought Syria the weakest of the 3 teams. They got lucky aginst Canada - but perhaps mental toughness came into play here. They obviously beat Italy and we didn't, however. So mmaybe they just had a poor effort against us. Whoever it was who thought Syria dominated us for 90 mintues however, is wearing some tainted glasses: just as bad as rose cloured. But Italy - notwithstanding that the ref allowed the Italian players to call the game (but Johnson was outside of the box for both the shirt pull and the trip- should have been a red, but not a penalty) was a much better team on the day (but not 3 goals worth) as of course, was Columbia.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

As for watching pro players play, it helps make young ones want to attain that level. Never heard of role models???

Finally someone understands what I'm trying to say. I mean do these kids even have soccer role models? It seems like they don't possess the creativity and imagination on the field. They're taught only tactics but not skill and technique.

quote:Originally posted by lefoot

AND THOSE SERIOUSLY UGLY UNIFORMS!!! its all community league level soccer...

I haven't heard this one before. Our uniforms made us play bad.

We have the same uniform supplier as Germany, Argentina and France. Surely they performed well despite such ugly uniforms. [8)]

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

2) This was a young team and a bit small as well. But I think it will produce more senior NT stalwarts than 2003: I see all of Edgar, Ledgerwood, De Jong, and Peters as for sure and Hainault, Gyaki and Johnson as possibles. Ramalo also has potential.

My thoughts:

Hainault: Looked solid and consistent. Also showed some good distribution skills in the match versus Syria

Ledgerwood: I praised him as having a bright future after the first game. I believe that but in the second game, he got schooled on quite a few occasions by the Colombians.

Edgar: Would have scored the winning goal in the first game were it not for the best save that I have seen in this tournament. Have to be impressed given that he will still be eligible for 2007.

De Jong: Tough to grade. Scored a nice one on the FK and played well in qualifying. Also, mysteriously, Mitchell didn't use him as much as I thought.

Peters: Was great in Qualifying and still shows that he is strongest player that we have on the ball. Yet this element of the game was our biggest weakness IMO. Again, Only Mitchell knows why he wasn't used more considering he did make some runs down the flank and manageed to square the ball without losing it. Looks to be the only player we have ( at this level)who demonstrated an ability to shed markers.

Gyaki: Dribbles the ball well and is able to keep the ball close to his feet. Shows that he can do it through his perfoemance in the qualifying matches. Was good against Syria and also almost scored. Downside, he gets disposses too easily. But on the other hand, much like Peters and De Jong, you can question Mitchell in regards to why he dropped him back in a defensive role agsinst Colombia.

Ramalho: Didn't see the same potential in him as you and a few others did.

Johnson: I hold the same view as I did for Ramalho. Except that he is still young enough to be available for 2007. Incidently I felt the same way about Hume in Argentina 2001. Then look at what he did in 2003. Johnson in 2005 looked similar to Hume in 2001. But I still don't why some here feel the need to praise his performance. As a striker he hasn't scored in 3 WYC games and 3 more WYC qualifying games. Has anyone ever noticed him geting a shot on goal?. Gyaki, who plays behind him looked like much more of threat to score.

A few general thoughts on our efforts:

5) Our NCAA players may develop but are behind the Europeans in terms of playing the game. The point about the US NCAA players is well made, but ignores the fact that the US players were all at Bradenton for 3-4 years where as ours were in less intensive environments and certainly not playing together. Given the young age, the NCAA "experience" is only one year. I don't think the comparison is direct.

True. The NCAA players are behind the Europeans. But on the plus side, I have noticed a drastic improvement in USL players in 2003 and 2005 compared to 2001. Unfortunately, we only had one USL/a-league player (Hainault) on this squad. He fared well. Whereas we had a few more in 2003.

Perhaps, this something that the CSA should think about going into 2007

I really think that we need to get a residency program going in BC for prospective U-XX players who are not with pro clubs. There are enough quality teams in BC to put together a decent schedule.

I think that that would be a good idea. BC has the best climate and environment for soccer in Canada. My concern is who runs the programs and who coaches the players? In recent memory, I cannot think of any technically gifted players or players who are strong on the ball who have evolved from that jursiction. The last two WYC's were no exception.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

My thoughts:

Ledgerwood: I praised him as having a bright future after the first game. I believe that but in the second game, he got schooled on quite a few occasions by the Colombians.

Everybody gets beaten from time to time. He recovers well, reads the game and has a very nice touch with the ball. He has pretty quick feet.

De Jong: Tough to grade. Scored a nice one on the FK and played well in qualifying. Also, mysteriously, Mitchell didn't use him as much as I thought.

I dont think his is a pure beat your man off the dribble type like Peters. However he can use two feet, crosses well understands how to play posession soccer. He needs teamates who can play with im, though, because he is not likely to beat three guys singlehandedly. He lets the ball do the running which is what we need more of.

Peters: Was great in Qualifying and still shows that he is strongest player that we have on the ball. Yet this element of the game was our biggest weakness IMO. Again, Only Mitchell knows why he wasn't used more considering he did make some runs down the flank and manageed to square the ball without losing it. Looks to be the only player we have ( at this level)who demonstrated an ability to shed markers.

Disappointing to me. I see the potential, and he can beat guys down the sideline, but at this point is still in need of professional polishing. I am with those who do not think that he should be getting full team call ups at this point - at least not in games that matter.

Ramalho: Didn't see the same potential in him as you and a few others did.

Defintiely a diamond inthe rough who needs a lot of work. He moves well, handles the ball pretty well. He needs a lot of work and is likely the longest shot of those I identified.

Johnson: I hold the same view as I did for Ramalho. Except that he is still young enough to be available for 2007. Incidently I felt the same way about Hume in Argentina 2001. Then look at what he did in 2003. Johnson in 2005 looked similar to Hume in 2001. But I still don't why some here feel the need to praise his performance. As a striker he hasn't scored in 3 WYC games and 3 more WYC qualifying games. Has anyone ever noticed him geting a shot on goal?. Gyaki, who plays behind him looked like much more of threat to score.

He is quick, has some straight away speed, dribbles well, can use both feet, presents well for the ball, makes intelligent runs off the ball and defenders were resorting to fouls on him a lot. Given that he was alone if a 4-5-1 the lack of scoring does not concern me. If we had a playmaking midfielder, I think he would have scored a bit. He needs to get bigger, probably, to take the next step, but in terms of being a soccer player, one of the top three on the team, IMHO.

My thoughts:

He had a great little chip shot that hit the crossbar against italy...

I thought Johnson did well with what he had... I believe he has potential

I thought Syria the weakest of the 3 teams. They got lucky aginst Canada - but perhaps mental toughness came into play here. They obviously beat Italy and we didn't, however. So mmaybe they just had a poor effort against us. Whoever it was who thought Syria dominated us for 90 mintues however, is wearing some tainted glasses: just as bad as rose cloured. But Italy - notwithstanding that the ref allowed the Italian players to call the game (but Johnson was outside of the box for both the shirt pull and the trip- should have been a red, but not a penalty) was a much better team on the day (but not 3 goals worth) as of course, was Columbia.

True. had we not been as unfortunate against Syria, we might be playing in the round of sixteen. Going into the tournament, I thought that we were not as strong as the previous edition. I think that, for canada, in these kind of events, its not so much the the top end who make the difference. I think that Canada can only be as strong as their weakest link. The unhearlded players in 2003 were much stronger than those same unheralded players in 2001 and 2005.

The proof, look at our performance aginst Spain versus Colombia.

So there was a bigger gap in talent this time. As a result, the performance to the top end players was adversely impacted. Who can forget Julian Deguzman resorting to trying to do it by himself in 2001. A few of these players may have been just too young for this event.

I think that that would be a good idea. BC has the best climate and environment for soccer in Canada. My concern is who runs the programs and who coaches the players? In recent memory, I cannot think of any technically gifted players or players who are strong on the ball who have evolved from that jursiction. The last two WYC's were no exception.

Well the residents would come from all over Canada if course. The coach would be CSA staff. It would be our Bradenton.

True. The NCAA players are behind the Europeans. But on the plus side, I have noticed a drastic improvement in USL players in 2003 and 2005 compared to 2001. Unfortunately, we only had one USL/a-league player (Hainault) on this squad. He fared well. Whereas we had a few more in 2003.

Perhaps, this something that the CSA should think about going into 2007

Hopefully USL clubs will pick up more youth, but I am not sure that any but a few will get that opportunity: The Best to Europe and the rest not good enough to play pro at 17-19. USL don't really have the $$$ to carry a lot of young guys on pro contracts who are not on the main roster, so only a few willget that chance.

True. had we not been as unfortunate against Syria, we might be playing in the round of sixteen. Going into the tournament, I thought that we were not as strong as the previous edition. I think that, for canada, in these kind of events, its not so much the the top end who make the difference. I think that Canada can only be as strong as their weakest link. The unhearlded players in 2003 were much stronger than those same unheralded players in 2001 and 2005.

The proof, look at our performance aginst Spain versus Colombia.

So there was a bigger gap in talent this time. As a result, the performance to the top end players was adversely impacted. Who can forget Julian Deguzman resorting to trying to do it by himself in 2001. A few of these players may have been just too young for this event.

Yet I thought this team more talented in player 3-11. I think you just need a player or two who will step up the way Humey and Hutch did in 2003. It gives everyone confidence and in turn, the play better. Put Hume on the field against Syria and we win. Yes, I know Peters got a goal, but Hume would have shredded that defence.

Hopefully USL clubs will pick up more youth, but I am not sure that any but a few will get that opportunity: The Best to Europe and the rest not good enough to play pro at 17-19. USL don't really have the $$$ to carry a lot of young guys on pro contracts who are not on the main roster, so only a few willget that chance.

While I would like to see more young Canadians on USL D1 rosters, I'd rather have these clubs get the best players they can to win games for their paying fans. Leave the development to others, which leads to my idea.

I realize this would never happen because of the CSA's budget, but wouldn't it be great if the CSA was able to set up a PDL club on each side of the country? Say one in the Vancouver region and one in Southern Ontario. Get the main CSA sponsors to help out financially as well. What's the budget of a PDL club anyway?

I think this would be a step in the right direction to have our NCAA players getting a chance to play together and develop over the summer. Plus, it would give the CSA a chance to identify players. Who knows, even a few unattached older Canadian players could get in game shape on these clubs before going to European trials (Bent, Hirschfeld for example).

Jason

Okay, I've licked my wounds and am now looking toward 2007. Of those who played on this year's team, who will be eligible for 2007? Edgar and Peters, right? Who else? Bergovic? Young DeGuzman, if he chooses to play for us? We could have a stellar midfield with these 3 players forming the core. And they'll only be heaps better in two year's time. Peter has the goods; now he needs to learn the game, including passing and defensive play.

I think we took a tiny step forward with this team. (Very tiny, but it was a forward step all the same.)

who else is eligible? Will Johnson? The kids gonna be dynamite in a few years.

Archived