June 18, Canada v Italy, POST-Match [R]

beachesl

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean Keay is dillusional, I'm with Jarreck. The U.S. program must instill positive thinking of some kind as I really saw nothing from Canada to suggest any confidence. I thought there were very few memorable moments for any of our players. The only thing we did at this tournament on a consistent basis was lose possession. It's a big field with relatively few bodies, is it that difficult to lift your head and have a look around? I think the U-20 program has to have a very hard look at itself if we are to avoid embarrassment. You can't slag Peters etc...if you don't have a composed back line and midfield, it's been our achilles heel for ever....look how Frank Whallop played?Originally posted by SeanKeay

Hey Jarrek, mod this F UCK YOU

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Canada finishes last, USA finishes first.

Goes to say a lot about our character in the finals.

It doesn't say anything about our "character", it says the US soccer program is ahead of ours, something we've known about for years. Don't insult our players that way by questioning their character. Did you not get a hint watching Johnson & Lombardo justifiably chew out the Ref towards the end that they have passion and wanted to win?

We finished ahead two other Concacaf teams, why not pick on them instead?

Oh forsure, the USA is way ahead of us in Talent.. you can never give canada enough credit on there character. Im just telling jarrek off because he only posts to be a d ickhead. And he loves it when we lose so he can rub our faces in it. The american team was stacked and have a great group of u20's.. end of story

The USA youth programs also have maaaaaaaaad loot! they have stadiums and 350 million people, and one boy from Ghana (or wherever Adu is really from). Canada, were pushing 30 million and a lack of funds. However give credit where it's due! oh and where's Mexico, a traditional soccer power?

Wow, some times we sure have rose coloured glasses on in here.

Deserved a point?

Deserved to make it further?

We were absolutely dominated for about 240 minutes of our games in this tournament.

We looked outclassed, and yes we can make as many excuses as we want about being a non soccer country, but lets not start acting like poop smells like roses huh?

I don't mean to insult our players and I wasn't aware of Jarrek's tendancies to be a d ick. I guess I'm just tired of losing and it's always the same way. You can see it within about 2 minutes of the start of a game, if we look tenative and give the ball away, bad things are going to happen...and they always do. I don't understand how our players can be so talented with their club sides, coveted for more prestigous work overseas, but when they don the Red n' White they look like boyz playing men?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It doesn't say anything about our "character", it says the US soccer program is ahead of ours, something we've known about for years. Don't insult our players that way by questioning their character. Did you not get a hint watching Johnson & Lombardo justifiably chew out the Ref towards the end that they have passion and wanted to win?

We finished ahead two other Concacaf teams, why not pick on them instead?

You'll all laugh when you check out the CSA site....talk about wearing rose coloured glasses. Fourth place is last place last time I checked. Here's my email to the webmaster:

I don't think it would be inappropriate to say we finished last in our

group, rather than saying we finished fourth. Our tournament was a big

disappointment, you don't have to sugar coat it for the faithful who visit your website. There is nothing wrong with being candid, I'd even go so far as to suggest that when you sugar coat our disappointing results, it cheapens our resolve to do better. The U-20's will have to be much better in 2 years if we are to avoid embarrassment and have our soccer programs take a big step backwards. Please convey my disappointment to all those who make

the decisions and spend the money. If we don't do well as hosts in 2007, it will set back the programs from MNT to youth soccer, with trickle down implications for corporate sponsorship. Don't expect to renew your agreement with CIBC, no company wants to be associated with mediocrity.

I

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

This thread sucks, like most of the tournament.

Here's to a better GC (although I doubt it :( ).

Terrible match overall for Canada. Took 30 minutes to warm up for Canada which is the story of the tournament. Mind you, this team was nowhere as good as the team in 2003. The key was that they failed to take advantage and momentum when they had it against Syria and then, from that point on, it was downhill pretty much.

One would hope that the team that will play in Canada will be much better than this.

I like Ledgerwood. Peters wasn't too bad either. I expected a lot mroe Gyaki (sp?), but didn't see that much. The keeper was average overall, but it's hard to say because the players in front of him really let him down too. He was definitely better than the 2001 keeper but wasn't as good as the guy in 2003.

BTW, out of this group, who will be around in '07?

The boulder has rolled back down the hill.

Players like Gyaki are what is wrong with Canadian soccer: all fitness no skill. He looks like a terrier in a game of keep away. Never really realizing that he is never meant to get the ball and that those keeping it away are of a skill level that he will never comprehend. He may be the best nicest person on earth, but I suggest that he doesn't rely on soccer as a means of income.

I can tolerate losing if there is some skill in our performance, but it seems that good results for Canada are more a matter of luck than coaching. We have been unable to present a consistent level of soccer with each team varying greatly depending on the individual skill of the players, not on a system of play. We have though maintained the style of ekick and runf, but as is evident in this tournament, even that isnft working very well for us anymore.

well said

the CSA has been cheating Canada soccer fans for yrs

all we do in games is bunker defense to hide our lack of creativity.

this US squad has played ten times more games that our squad.

they had an on going preparation schedule.

they got to the next round on merits.

their ncaa players looked better because they are prepared better

they play with a system and stick with it no matter who they play.

we played against them to prepare and all we did again was opportunities to leran how to attack by playing overly defensive

all we've been trying to do is cheat our way into the next round by playing distructive soccer.

it would have been an injustice to the soccer game had Canada been able to sneak trhu with such tactics.

not because of the players they gave it their best but because of the system

the CSA has to make sure that this kind of garbage is not going to be on display comes 2007.

no soccer specific stadium is going to do miracles in Canada with that kind of product on the field.

this crap is not sellable.

so CSA get your priority straight, quality of the product first.

this brand of soccer is a disgrace.

it is not worth one cent no matter where you want to sell it.

thry to sell it on pay per view you will how much repeat customer you will get before wating 35 millions on a stadium .

Haven't posted about the tournament within the last week because I'm so dissapointed in Canada. Instead of playing their game, they let the other team make them play the game they wanted... which was to chase the ball. Canada couldn't string 3-4 passes together and when they did I was surprised... and even Forrest was pointing out..."Great job by CANADA! THEY JUST MADE 4 consecutive passes"... like honestly, it came to a point where it was like Canada scored a goal for making a few passes without loosing possession. I know some of you will say, "They tried their best, they're just kids and they did Canada proud"... but honestly... that is so fukin "Canadian"... a major problem with this country and sports is the whole mentality of winning and loosing. It's like when the Canadians go to the olympics they think to themselves, "well we're glad we got here and we did have TEN personal bests!".. instead of "lets fuking win".. gawddd...

we in the states were not able to watch your game today but it looks like we will play Italy in the round of 16. If someone could give me a small breakdown of the Italian squad we would appreciate it. I;m not trying to rub anything in I just thought you guys could provide some help to your friendly neighboors.

Aside from the United States, CONCACAF showed very little on the world stage. No competitive matches for Canada's u20 squad now untill game one of the 2007 championships. This was a very poor tournament for Canada. How often do you see a game at this level where a team only has 25% possession in a game, or has the entire team ball watching after a free kick, as was the case with the first Colombia goal. How many times did we manage to string three passes in a row? Did our roster include enough players who are going to be eligible in 2007, and those who are, will they be staying in the Netherlands to watch the rest of this tournament? Without the proper leadership and coaching, Canada will never go anywhere. So it's back to the stadium soap opera for us. No u20 matches till 2007, no senior World Cup qualifying till 2008, maybe just a few Gold Cup matches with an improv team to be televised. Only in Kevan Pipe's Canada, eh.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

BTW, out of this group, who will be around in '07?

The possible return of Edgar, Peters, and Johnson (+Lombardo, Begovic, Giacomi) is the positive from this tourney. I can see now why Johnson was selected ahead of Uccello. Although, he looked to me like he could easily be a good partner in a 4-4-2.

Edgar played great in midfiled but Peetoom cost us at least a couple and hindsight for me would drop him back as a CB. De Jong's fk was great, but Edgar's was the first I've seen at any level for Canada that really looked professional. This kid needs to go out on loan to the Championship or Scotland for some first team action. And if Peters has 7 caps, Edgar should get one soon.

As a side note, why do we need 10K stadiums for 2007? It looked like there were 50 people there today.

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Players like Gyaki are what is wrong with Canadian soccer: all fitness no skill. He looks like a terrier in a game of keep away. Never really realizing that he is never meant to get the ball and that those keeping it away are of a skill level that he will never comprehend. He may be the best nicest person on earth, but I suggest that he doesn't rely on soccer as a means of income.

I can tolerate losing if there is some skill in our performance, but it seems that good results for Canada are more a matter of luck than coaching. We have been unable to present a consistent level of soccer with each team varying greatly depending on the individual skill of the players, not on a system of play. We have though maintained the style of ekick and runf, but as is evident in this tournament, even that isnft working very well for us anymore.

Gyaki's goals in qualifying were those of a skilled player. He's been signed to a pro contract because he's been shown a knack for scoring. He's probably making more than your sorry ass right now without even touching a ball yet as a pro so shove your advice on his choice of profession.

The team had it's heart ripped out and it's confidence lost in minute 2 of the first game. They couldn't get it back.

Players like Gyaki are what is wrong with Canadian soccer: all fitness no skill. He may be the best nicest person on earth, but I suggest that he doesn't rely on soccer as a means of income.

Thankfull Gyaki has ignored your poor advice and signed a two-year deal with Sheffield United's senior squad. Not bad for a player you think has no "talent". Funnily enough nobody was saying that when he scored 4 times in the qualifiers.

But what do professional soccer clubs know about soccer anyway?

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Wow, some times we sure have rose coloured glasses on in here.

Deserved a point?

Deserved to make it further?

We were absolutely dominated for about 240 minutes of our games in this tournament.

How's that. Did we play four matches in this tourney or something?

BTW, haven't seen too many people say we deserved to go further here. Who's "we"?

I can tolerate losing if there is some skill in our performance, but it seems that good results for Canada are more a matter of luck than coaching. We have been unable to present a consistent level of soccer with each team varying greatly depending on the individual skill of the players, not on a system of play. We have though maintained the style of kick and run, but as is evident in this tournament, even that isn't working very well for us anymore.

I don't agree with you about Gyaki, but I do agree with the rest of your post. You need some intense players like Gyaki on a team, but they cannot be skilless (like some Canadian teams in the past) and Gyaki has some shoting skill - he can score when he receives the ball in front of him.

I expected us to do better in this tournament and today. I remember Alberto's posts about the Italian team and how some Italian U20 players who play in Serie A are not on the team so we played a weakened Italian team.

When you combine this result with the failure of the U17 team to even qualify, then it shows that something is wrong. We have soem advantages comapred to other countries which shoudl mean we shoudl be doing better. For example we are a rich country, and we lots of good grass soccer fields. Children in many countries play on rock strewn fields. They would die to be able to play on our grass fields.

Its not really the fault of the CSA because the CSA has a minor role in developing youth players compared to provincial associations. The CSA coaches may sometimes err by choosing the wrong players for our national teams, but they aren't responsibe for developing the talent.

In BC, the BCSA pats itself on the back when BC palyers get US scholarships. Their standarsd are set too low. They need to get players on professional teams in Europe or South America where they can train and develop as professionals. The problem is that most of our players aren't good enough to displace European, African and South American players for spots on professional teams. We need to get our youth coaches to raise the skill level. Overall our young kids (ages 5 to 14) don't spend enough time dribbling balls, learning and mastering moves to beat players one on one. Instead they spend too much time at those ages on passing, and also too much time playing games instead of practicing. At age 11-14 they should have 4 practices per week and one game per week if they hope to be pro. What percentage of our youth practice 4 times per week? The answer is that probably less than 5% practice that much. Thats why our skill level is weak and we don't do as well internationally as we should. Its doesn't take magic, it takes better youth coaches and hard work to make a difference.

Robert, I understand what your saying, but if we have no comp matches before kickoff 07, it will be our own fault. There are numerous (fiercly contested) warm up tournys in a cup year. Off my head - there is a winter 8 team event in Qutar, at least one in SE asia (malasia or thai) and Two in Korea just two months before the event. Thats at least 9 opponets (usually already qualified) with which to test ourself (if fact the first korea tourny had us, argentina and egypt (all group d) facing each other. If we are not prepared from a matches standpoint it will be the programs fault and no other.

Archived