Pre-Gold Cup training camp june 4-9

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s National Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his roster for the upcoming training camp to be held in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida from June 4-9.

Yallop has selected the majority of his players from the Canadian USL First Division teams with six players from the defending champion Montreal Impact, three from the Vancouver Whitecaps and one from the Toronto Lynx.

The Impact players selected include goalkeeper Andrew Olivieri, defenders Adam Braz and Gabriel Gervais, midfielders Mesut Mert and Patrick Leduc and forward Ali Gerba who was acquired from Toronto last week.

The Whitecaps will be sending defender Geordie Lyall, goalkeeper Mike Franks (who was Canada’s third goalkeeper at the 2001 Confederations Cup) and forward Jason Jordan who has scored seven goals in his last two games.

The Toronto Lynx will be represented by forward Sean Fraser who saw time with the Canadian Olympic team.

Other players invited include Edmonton’s Tam Nsaliwa, who has been capped 10 times at the senior level and who last played for Canada in 2003 against Germany. Toronto’s Rhian Dodds, who has spent several seasons with Kilmarnock of the Scottish Premier League, has been invited to his first senior camp. Montreal’s Felix Brillant has also been invited. Brillant was called in for Canada’s last World Cup Qualifier against Guatemala but did not play. He is with the New England Revolution of MLS. Former Whitecaps Johnny Sulentic has been selected. Sulentic is currently a teammate of Nsaliwa’s at Saarbrucken in the German Second Division.

“This camp will give me an up close look at a number of players that I have had my eye on over the last few months,” said Yallop. “With the Gold Cup around the corner it will provide another great opportunity to see these players in a camp environment and in a strong competitive game.”

The team will play one exhibition game during the camp.

Canadian Roster For Florida Training Camp

Name Pos Club DOB Caps Goals/Shutouts

Andrew Olivieri GK Montreal Impact, USL 3/27/81 0 0

Mike Franks GK Vancouver Whitecaps, USL 4/27/77 0 0

Adam Braz D Montreal Impact, USL 6/7/81 1 0

Geordie Lyall D Vancouver Whitecaps, USL 9/15/76 0 0

Tam Nsaliwa D Saarbrucken, German Bundesliga 2 1/28/82 10 0

Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, USL 9/18/76 4 0

Rhian Dodds M Kilmarnock, Scottish Premier 10/3/79 0 0

Johnny Sulentic M Saarbrucken, German Bundesliga 2 12/24/79 1 0

Felix Brillant M New England Revolution, MLS 9/9/80 0 0

Patrick Leduc M Montreal Impact, USL 12/26/77 0 0

Mesut Mert M Montreal Impact, USL 3/13/78 0 0

Ali Gerba F Montreal Impact, USL 7/27/82 0 0

Jason Jordan F Vancouver Whitecaps, USL 5/30/78 0 0

Sean Fraser F Toronto Lynx, USL 9/21/80 0 0

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I was unaware that Sulentic was with Saarbrucken. How long ago did that happen?

I don't think he's signed. He was supposedly in Kaiserslautern, spent some time in Saarbruecken, was on trial with St. Pauli (a little out of the loop from K'town and Saarbruecken) and is now back under consideration in Saarbruecken. I have found no evidence that he has been signed. It would be terrific if he did. I'll keep my eye out.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Good second chance for a lot of quality players, some of whom never really got first chances with Canada.

Could anyone give me an update on how Sean Fraser is doing in Toronto, and what role they have him playing there?

I would have given him man of the match in his visit to Swangard. It was a pretty uninspired match all around, but his pace was very impressive.

I think a lot of supporters will be shocked at the low number of perceived "A Team" players on the final list of 18. I perceive a real lack of desire to attend, and there will be personal and club pressure to rest, attend club training camps and (in the case of Scandinavia) to play. I predict that at least half of this B training camp roster will be on the bench, and 1 or 2 will be probably be starters in Seattle and Foxboro.

I think either Franks or Olivieri will be the number 2 in the GC (there will only be room for Sutton and one other). One other GK will be on the injury reserve list of 7. IMO Yallop has decided to let Hirschfeld use the time to catch on with a club.

Only guessing tho, can't tell you anything canso;). The only way to know is to peek at the actual Preliminary List of 25 Yallop had CSA secretly file with CONCACAF 2 1/2 weeks ago.

It IS only a preliminary camp, tho, the actual training camp for the final 18 is only to start in Vancouver on June 27. Yallop will be busy with Mitchell in Holland up until then (it will be interesting to see how many U-20's he has listed).

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I would have given him man of the match in his visit to Swangard. It was a pretty uninspired match all around, but his pace was very impressive.

He's got great speed and is a great kid too, judging from the few times I've talked to him. The complaint most often heard when he was with the Storm and then Aviators is his lack of finishing. Not an uncommon complaint in Cdn soccer. Looking at the list, I would say that Liam de Silva would deserve a look as well. It's not like we have a HUGE pool of capable central defenders these days.

I think that the subject line of this thread is a little misleading. This article appears on the CSA site with the headline:

Yallop Announces Roster For Florida Training Camp

Mind you, I do agree that we will be missing our fair share of 'A' players at the Gold Cup. It will be difficult to have all of our summer league players (ie Scandinavian based) and we may be missing players in pre-season training trying to make an impact with new clubs (possibly Stalteri, De Guzman, etc.)

quote:Originally posted by Ed

He's got great speed and is a great kid too, judging from the few times I've talked to him. The complaint most often heard when he was with the Storm and then Aviators is his lack of finishing. Not an uncommon complaint in Cdn soccer. Looking at the list, I would say that Liam de Silva would deserve a look as well. It's not like we have a HUGE pool of capable central defenders these days.

Yeah, his end product was usually not that impressive considering some of the great things was able to do. From my limited view in the Edmonton seats, a large factor appeared to be the way that he was used by the coach here. He often sat back in the backfield like he was a sort of right back, and then was expected to soar forward to contribute on the attack. In addition, the Av/EdmFC attack was largely confined to the centre, and he would not be used effectively in attack, other than being expected to send in passes or crosses after long runs up the sidelines (and even then, he was hardly sent the ball enough).

That's why I was wondering how the Lynx coaching staff was using him.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Why would they hold this camp in Florida? Most of the players play for Canadian teams and its not like its winter up here.

Good point.

My bet is that the camp was booked back in the winter when Yallop and the CSA actually said to the press that they expected that all their group games would be be in Miami. They were surprised, pleasantly I think, when they got the Group in Seattle and Foxboro, but maybe it was to hard to back out of the financial arrangements (which probably is a part of a long-term deal, as they have camps for various Canadian national teams there throughout the year). It could even have been booked longer term, when Canada could have expected to be contesting the hex in the tropics around that time. And, I think Yallop just likes it there.

Whomever we tentaively set up the exhibition match with may be a factor too, as most of the Carribean/Latino clubs and teams prefer playing in places where they can draw a lot of supporters.

We should be ready if there are heatwaves in New England or the Pacific Northwest though.

Bravo to Yallop and the CSA again. Last year's development camp in Vancouver uncovered some real gems and dispelled some myths about other guys who were supposed to be real gems. These are exactly the kinds of camps that we should all be thrilled about and Frank should be applauded.

Tam Nsaliwa returns to Canadian soccer fold after two-year absense

TORONTO (CP) - Midfielder Tam Nsaliwa returns to the Canadian soccer fold next month after a two-year absense, attending a Florida camp in advance of the July Gold Cup.

Coach Frank Yallop has invited 14 players to the June 4-9 camp in Sunrise, Fla. Opting to allow most of his European-based players to rest after long seasons, Yallop has called in 10 players from the United Soccer League, one from Major League Soccer and three from Europe.

Nsaliwa, a 23-year-old defender-midfielder from Edmonton, has 10 caps with the senior side but has not played for Canada since June 2003. He has been invited since then but decided to stay with his German club Saarbrucken instead, according to Canadian team officials.

Midfielder Johnny Sulentic, who is a teammate of Nsaliwa at Saarbrucken, is also headed to the Florida camp.

The other European-based player invited is midfielder Rhian Dodds, who plays for Kilmarnock in Scotland. Dodds has been part of Canadian youth sides but this marks his first invitation to the senior team.

The Montreal Impact are sending six players to the camp: goalkeeper Andrew Olivieri, defenders Adam Braz and Gabriel Gervais, midfielders Patrick Leduc and Mesut Mert and forward Ali Gerba.

The Vancouver Whitecaps provide three players - goalkeeper Mike Franks, defender Geordie Lyall and forward Jason Jordan - and the Toronto Lynx one: forward Sean Fraser.

Midfielder Felix Brillant has been summoned from the New England Revolution of MLS.

Yallop says some may find themselves on the Gold Cup roster. "Absolutely," the coach said.

Yallop plans his main camp for the Gold Cup to start June 27 in Vancouver, with an exhibition game July 2 against Honduras before the team leaves the next day for the tournament in Seattle.

The coach has already said he does not plan to call in veteran striker Tomasz Radzinski, opting to let him rest after a long season in England with Fulham.

Yallop declined comment when asked whether other veterans would be similarly excused, saying he was still assembling the squad. But he hinted that Paul Stalteri and Julian de Guzman will not be called in, given their moves to England's Spurs and Spain's Deportivo La Coruna, respectively.

Yallop says he will take 18 players to the Gold Cup.

Fair enough to see that Stalteri and DeGuz will not be called to the gold cup squad...like any of the rest of you i'd want too have them there as they are 2 of the key players for us, but as the article said, they are moving on to new clubs and want to establish themselves there, and also, they both finished the seaosn injured so im not sure if we would have seen them anyways.

anything about a friendly for the guys at this camp? I'm sure there'll be something, even if its some small unannounced game with some local all star team or something.

Fair enough. No scense risking injury in a tourny (or worse, lead up training camp to a tourny) which receives precious little respect.

REALLY anxious to see how Nsaliwa has come along since last we saw him.

Don't think it would be too much a stretch to allow Franks a shot at making a mark for the MNT. 1st Team, 2nd Team or whatever. Hope we see some of him during the GC matchs. In Seattle at least anyways.

Still, a pity if no Guz or Paul this summer. All for the best I'm sure. But still disappointing.

I'm also quite pleased about this camp taking place,, last year's "B-team camp" helped some players get noticed and expanded our depth a bit for the Nat team,, hopefully this does as well,, at the very worst it gives some of the A-league players hope that if they do a good job there is a possibility of them getting noticed by Yallop and attending a camp like this... I'm not sure how often we would of seen A-league camps likes under Holger... Great to see Tam back,, lets hope he has a good camp and cracks the Gold Cup roster..

It does sound like we'll be sending another less than first-choice team to the Gold Cup. Though I guess a lot of other teams will be doing that as well. Good news for the purposes of increasing squad depth & testing out how much depth we have - but likely bad news for the chances of getting a much-needed confidence boosting result out of this last important senior team tourney until 2007.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

If FY call Olivieri and Sutton for the upcoming GC I hope the Impact have an option as 3rd keeper.

I thought the Impact signed a third keeper (Argento sp?). Having said that, I can't see the Impact sending both Sutton & Olivieri to the GC. IMO, Olivieri will stay with the Impact while Sutton goes. Andrew played well for Canada in Olympic qualifying and I think the coaching staff wants to keep him active and exposed while he is "stuck" behind Sutton at Club level.

Must admit I would have liked to see Fernandes get the call to this camp.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I thought the Impact signed a third keeper (Argento sp?). Having said that, I can't see the Impact sending both Sutton & Olivieri to the GC. IMO, Olivieri will stay with the Impact while Sutton goes. Andrew played well for Canada in Olympic qualifying and I think the coaching staff wants to keep him active and exposed while he is "stuck" behind Sutton at Club level.

Must admit I would have liked to see Fernandes get the call to this camp.

Yes, Argento signed a contract with the club as a third keeper, but just like you I doubt both olivieri and Sutton will be at the Gold Cup.

Archived