Stalteri leaving Bremen + Nsaliwa rejoins MNT

ray

From Slam Sports:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/05/03/1023755-cp.html

Stalteri to leave Bremen

By NEIL DAVIDSON

(CP) - Canadian international Paul Stalteri says he is leaving Werder Bremen at the end of the season when his contract runs out.

"I have enjoyed my eight years in Bremen and the decision to leave has been the most difficult decision I have ever had to make in my football career," Stalteri said in a statement on his website Tuesday. "I have also decided to leave Germany and pursue my career abroad, although where I will be next season is not yet confirmed."

There has been speculation that England could be Stalteri's next stop, with Spurs rumoured to be interested.

Stalteri, 27, has won 49 caps for Canada. A midfielder for the national team, he plays full back at Bremen with whom he won the German title last season.

The native of Brampton, Ont., also won the German Cup with Bremen and was the first Canadian to score in the Bundesliga - on his debut Aug. 12, 2000.

Stalteri joined the club in November 1997 from the Toronto Lynx, playing for Bremen's reserves until 2000.

He becomes the second Canadian to announce he is abandoning Germany. Earlier this year, midfielder Julian de Guzman said he was leaving Hannover for Spain's Deportivo La Coruna next season.

-

Canadian Notes: Canadian coach Frank Yallop says midfielder Tam Nsaliwa is rejoining the national team fold. Nsaliwa has agreed to attend a weeklong Canadian camp in Vancouver in June, primarily for young players based overseas and domestic USL players. Nsaliwa, last sighted playing for FC Saarbrucken in the German second division, had turned down the last two invitations to Canadian camps ... Canada plays Honduras in Vancouver on July 2 in a Gold Cup warmup ... Fulham striker Tomasz Radzinski will not be part of the Canadian Gold Cup squad. He has asked for a break.

Good to see Tam Nsaliwa back in the fold. His relationship with Yallop seemed a littled strained after he turned down invites to the previuos 2 camps and was left of the WCQ rosters.

Most likley Stalteri will end up in England. But where?

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

Good to see Tam Nsaliwa back in the fold. His relationship with Yallop seemed a littled strained after he turned down invites to the previuos 2 camps and was left of the WCQ rosters.

Most likley Stalteri will end up in England. But where?

If Ipswich Town gets promoted I'd say they could get a 3rd canadian. Maybe we should make them our national team[:P]

Yes, this is several bits of great news. I think a move for Stalteri was needed; having Tam back is great; and a game in my backyard versus Honduras is excellent. I'll be there just as long as my son is born by then. (I've got to find him a wee Canadian and wee Whitecaps kit.)

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Frank Yallops a bastard.. Vancouver gets another god damn game.. hell i dont mind anywhere else but aggro ville.

Makes sense though, this time. They are playing in Seattle 10 days later anyway, so no sense in flying them all over the country un-necessarily.

Of course, playing that game against Guatemala in Vancouver last year made no sense, but there's little joy in worrying about that now.

It just makes me mad that he continually says oh yah eastern canada is going to get there games, and still nothing. Like it probobly the best place to have it, but he seems not to care about anything but vancouver.

Hell, id goto winnipeg for a game, kingston, montreal....

To me there is no difference in playing a home game in vancouver and a away game in europe....

aweosme news! I dont care personally where the game is being played since ill be out of the country at the time. But what i love to ehar is Nsaliwa back in the fold! He's been playin center back for his club hasnt he? Hopefully we can beat honduras this time too...Anyways, good news all around...

I could honestly care less where the game is played, I'm just happy to see us play a friendly on our soil against a good quality Concacaf opponent, a very rare occurence for the CSA these days,, and maybe the ref won't screw us over against them this time as well. I'm sure the game out west has something to do with the Gold Cup games in Seattle being so close and some kind of training camp before hand. Great to see Tam back in the fold as well

Three great news bites all in one post... take that Rodgers!

Its great to see Nsaliwa back. He could be the answer we need in central defence as we seem to be covered for people down the left and right. Is there a chance he could partner with mike Klukouski in central D? If so, that could free up McKenna for the forward line...

July 2nd? May have to fly out a couple of days earlier than planned.

Well, good on Diesel. Got pricked around by Bremen for a bit too long I'd have said. Sort of tells you where you stand in the scheme of things and no matter how hard you try to make/accept excuses for it, it just dosen't come off very well.

Yeah. EPL. That would be grand.

I'm glad to see Nsaliwa back in the fold. I'm not sure he's the saviour for our central defense that some people seem to imagine, but it will be nice to see what he can do and to have the option.

Am I to understand, from the article, that there will be a young overseas/domestic camp in June, to be followed by a friendly and Gold Cup preparations in July, using two largely distinct groups of players? Busy times.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Am I to understand, from the article, that there will be a young overseas/domestic camp in June, to be followed by a friendly and Gold Cup preparations in July, using two largely distinct groups of players? Busy times.

That's how I read it, and if that is indeed what is happening, it's a very positive step.

Hopefully these 'B' camps can become an annual thing. If anything it helps grow our player pool, and it provided jobs for two players last year.

Guest Jeffery S.

Stalteri's decision to not stay with Bremen was in short international soccer clips today in the major footie papers. Which suprised me a bit, though what is good is that it puts him squarely on the market, Spain included.

Excellent German article on Stalteri that I don't have time to translate. Maybe one of the other German speakers can translate this.

The Werder fans on the forums are generally dissappointed that he is leaving though not surprised after the club's behaviour towards him. One commentator stated, "My reaction is the same as Paul's favourite word during paractice, "F.U.C.K"."

Reif für die Insel

Paul Stalteri verlässt Werder Bremen und wechselt wohl nach England

Von unserem Redakteur

Olaf Dorow

BREMEN. Das Markenzeichen an Paul Stalteri ist nicht, dass er mal rechts und mal links spielt. Das Markenzeichen ist, dass er immer spielt. Er ist nie verletzt. Nie krank. Selten gesperrt. Vor allem kann der Klub verpflichten, wen er will. Können die Experten an ihm zweifeln, wie sie wollen. Stalteri steht beim Anpfiff auf dem Feld. Immer. Ab Juli jedoch nicht mehr in Bremen. Der Kanadier verlässt Werder zum Saisonende.Mit Paul Stalteri (27) geht eine Art Musterprofi. Ein Kämpfer, der zwar nicht immer gute, aber auf jeden Fall ehrliche Arbeit abliefert.

Er gibt den Ball erst dann verloren, wenn dieser auch tatsächlich und im vollen Umfang die Seitenlinie passiert hat. So etwas mag man vor allem im Mutterland des Fußballs. Deswegen wechselt Paul Stalteri im Sommer vielleicht nach England. Zuletzt galten die Tottenham Hotspurs als Stalteri-Jäger. Schon im vergangenen Jahr wollte der fleißige Kanadier bei Crystal Palace anheuern. Werder ließ ihn jedoch nicht ziehen.Jetzt muss Werder ihn ziehen lassen. Der Vertrag läuft aus.

Zwar legte ihm Sportdirektor Klaus Allofs vor drei Wochen ein neues Angebot vor. Doch gestern sagte Stalteri ab. Was nicht an dem Angebot liegen soll. "Das war okay. Meine Entscheidung hat damit nichts zu tun", sagt er. Er strebt, nach acht Werder-Jahren und 148 Bundesligaspielen, zu neuen Ufern. Er will ins Ausland. "In Deutschland kommt kein anderer Klub in Frage", verrät er. Sein Entschluss, Werder zu verlassen, kommt unterdessen nicht von ungefähr. In den Wintermonaten ließ der tüchtige Arbeiter eine gewisse Enttäuschung durchblicken.

Er hatte auch im Super-Double-Jahr immer gespielt und trotzdem stand er in der Liste der zu verlängernden Verträge ganz hinten."Ich bin doch nicht nur dazu da, die Linie rauf und runter zu rennen wie ein Blinder", hatte er einmal, auch im Super-Double-Jahr, gesagt. Den Ruf ist aber nie ganz los geworden. Johan Micoud, sein Freund, gilt als Künstler. Er gilt als Malocher. Wenn Micoud den Ball verliert, gilt er als lustlos. Wenn Stalteri den Ball verliert, gilt er als schlechter Fußballer.

Der wackere Malocher hatte sich auf dem Platz und in der Werder-Kabine als guter Geist erwiesen. "Er hat immer alles gegeben und war ein positiver Faktor für das Team", sagt Allofs. "Er hat bei uns viele Dinge realisieren können, die er sich zu Beginn seiner Laufbahn erträumt hat", sagt Thomas Schaaf. An den Werder-Trainer wird sich der nun scheidende Werder-Profi vermutlich immer erinnern.

Schaaf war die erste Anlaufstation, als der 20-Jährige 1997 aus Toronto in Europa landete. Für die ersten Wochen und bis eine Wohnung gefunden war, wohnte der ehrgeizige junge Mann im Hause des damaligen Amateur-Trainers von Werder.

I hope Paul and his family all the best, whatever his destination is this summer. I'll miss following his career in Germany. Thanks Grizzly for posting that article; very complimentary indeed. I imagine Schaaf will miss Paul a lot more than he can say. It takes players with character to make a championship team and Paul Stalteri has that in spades.

Archived