MLS Update

Guest Ed

Before the inevitable MLS in Toronto postings appear, some rule changes in the MLS that could have an immediate impact on Cdn players.

In addition to the commissioner stating that MLS expansion is next likely to be in Canada, starting next season two significant rule changes:

1. Senior International limit is now raised from 3 per team to 4 per team.

2. Roster limit is raised from 24 players to 28 players.

The article states that the increased roster size will allow MLS teams to field reserve squads who will have a 12 game schedule. A nice little $150 million over 10 years from Nike will finance the reserves.

Thanks to Monsieur Rose from the BC soccer web for the link:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/articles/1188646.html

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

It's actually adidas, but who's keeping track? ;)

Thanks, Rudi. Ah well, odds are that a couple of Cdns will get some training with the MLS reserve sides. No complaints here.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Thanks, Rudi. Ah well, odds are that a couple of Cdns will get some training with the MLS reserve sides. No complaints here.

Would you not rather see a national domestic league in Canada instead of Canadians learning their trade in a US reserve league?

And the fans for this domestic league will come from where???? If we can't support A-league teams in our bigger cities how will we support a lesser talented league??? At least the MLS reserve league is being financed by a major U.S. sponsor company, what Canadian company in their right mind would sponsor a Canadian domestic league??. If we had 8 Canadian cities playing in the A-league you could call it somewhat of a domestic league, but the fact is we can only support 3 at the moment

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

And the fans for this domestic league will come from where???? If we can't support A-league teams in our bigger cities how will we support a lesser talented league??? At least the MLS reserve league is being financed by a major U.S. sponsor company, what Canadian company in their right mind would sponsor a Canadian domestic league??. If we had 8 Canadian cities playing in the A-league you could call it somewhat of a domestic league, but the fact is we can only support 3 at the moment

Has it come to this? Has Canadian apathy actually come to the level that we are supporting an innitiative for a US reserve league to develop Canadian talent!?

This is embarassing.

quote:

Has it come to this? Has Canadian apathy actually come to the level that we are supporting an innitiative for a US reserve league to develop Canadian talent!?

This is embarassing.

How is it different from Canadians leaving to play overseas in European 2nd and 3rd division leagues? We can't provide a place for them to develop and get paid a decent wage domestically so we can't blame them for going to Norway, Scotland or the USA. And what is the difference between a proposed MLS reserve squad and an USL 1st division team? Probably not much. So we'd better hope our players are actually developing overseas because there is no hope of overcoming Canada's apathy toward Canadian soccer until we start to play winning soccer.

RJB, it's a legit question, if Edmonton and Calgary fail miserably in attendance in the A league, what makes you think the fans will all of the sudden come out to watch a lesser talented domestic league. I've said it here before, Everyone that posts on this board including myself would absolutely love to see a Canadian league, but I just don't think its practical or financially feasible at the present time. An MLS reserve league certainly doesn't hurt at all, it opens up at least a few more jobs out there and it certainly won't affect whether a Canadian domestic league makes it or breaks it in anyway

quote:Originally posted by Ed

No Cdns left unprotected as the 10 MLS clubs expose some players to the upcoming expansion draft.

Details of Expansion Draft on Friday:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041113&content_id=18925&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Full Lists of Unprotected Players

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20041117&content_id=19264&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp#list

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

great. all canadians are protected - yes?

some pretty talented players there.

what are chivas' philosophy on non-mexican/mexican-american nationals?

They're trying to stock the team with as many Mexican, Mexican-Americans, and other latinos as possible.

Apparently, they'll be drafting gringo goalkeeper Johnny Walker tomorrow, as he speaks Spanish (he played for Colo-Colo in Chile for a number of years, IIRC).

But the more leagues the better right ?? especially if there is no Canadian league , just the A-league. A league like this one added will at least potentially provide a few more jobs to Canadian kids that come out of college and need a place to play. Any extra leagues we can get like this one in North America (especially backed by a large sponsor company) will help... Watching soccercentral last night it looks like Toronto is up next for MLS expansion in 2006, Gerry and especially Craig some pretty enthused by this.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

But the more leagues the better right ?? especially if there is no Canadian league , just the A-league. A league like this one added will at least potentially provide a few more jobs to Canadian kids that come out of college and need a place to play. Any extra leagues we can get like this one in North America (especially backed by a large sponsor company) will help... Watching soccercentral last night it looks like Toronto is up next for MLS expansion in 2006, Gerry and especially Craig some pretty enthused by this.

Well I wouldn't call it another league. It's simply a reserve system, and every first division (and most lower divisions) posess one. Yes, it may provide a couple of spots for Canadians (probably more for our opposition as is the case with MLS), but the quality will be somewhere between PDL and A-League. Unfortunetly i don't see this as having a major impact on our program.

I don't think it will have much of an effect on our program, I'm just trying to say its better then nothing.. it certainly doesn't hurt... maybe a Canadian kid finishes college in the states, gets drafted by an MLS team and plays on their reserve side for a season or two, if he impresses there then possibly up to the big club ???

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I wonder how many players the A-league will lose to the MLS with their current expansion of two teams plus this reserve team system being set up.

That will probably all depend on what the salaries of the MLS reserve players will be.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

That will probably all depend on what the salaries of the MLS reserve players will be.

With the advent of the MLS Players Union, the minimum wage is supposed to go up every year over the next few years. Last season it was $24K(US), and I believe it's going up to $30K next season.

Rumours on BigSoccer are saying that Vancouver may get the MLS franchise instead of Toronto.

If that should happen, I predict a huge shift in the anti-MLS contingent here, as most of those who are anti-MLS are only against MLS because they are anti-Toronto. [8)]

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Just a question.

Don't they have a rule in the MLS about the number if american on their teams???

And what would they do with that rule if they expand in Canada???

One thing is sure, I prefer an A-League team with loads of local talent, like Montreal, than an American team in my background. It's better that way for our program.

Obviously, they'd have Canadians count as domestic players for those franchises (if not all of them àla NASL). No Canadian owners would accept an MLS team with limits on Canadian players. It's absurd.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Rumours on BigSoccer are saying that Vancouver may get the MLS franchise instead of Toronto.

If that should happen, I predict a huge shift in the anti-MLS contingent here, as most of those who are anti-MLS are only against MLS because they are anti-Toronto. [8)]

I think most of us are anti-one MLS team in Toronto rather than simply Anti-toronto. To rehash, the argument is that on MLS team does little to nothing to help the Canadian game, potentially puts at peril existing teams (Montreal and Vancouver) and eliminates any chance of a Canadian league since any such venture necessarily requires the Toronto Market. Further, if one is foolish enough to put all of our eggs in the MLS basket, then based on history, Toronto ranks third behind Vancouver and Montreal for attendance reasons. The only thing more damaging than one MLS team in Canada is one failed MLS team in Canada for the effect it will have on future options.

Now if Vancouver gets an MLS team first, then many of my fears of what the MLS will do to Canadian soccer are mitigated somewhat since while I can imagine MLS ignoring Vancouver and Montreal in future expansion should a Toronto team exist, I can't imagine them ignoring the Toronto market if Vancouver had a team given its size.

Ideally, the first choice is a Canadian league. If not that - which seems a pipe dream right now, then at least three teams in MLS would be the second choice. For reasons of leverage, the order of expansion should have Toronto recieving the third Canadian franchise rather than the first. Because frankly, I can see MLS and the USSF rubbing their hands in glee at knackering the development of Canadian soccer by putting one franchise in the largest market and refusing any further expansion. Its about leverage and the good of Canadian soccer and not any dislike of Toronto.

Archived