MLS Update

Guest Ed

quote:Originally posted by jonesy55

With Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. looking onto the profitabilty of a Torornto MLS team, it will be interesting to hear and see their final report to the "Board of Directors".....

If MLSE back off the MLS team in Toronto, it would send a negitive message to a proposed buyer, or major sponsor.

We saw what they did concerning a stadium at U of T.

Wouldn't hold ones breath on the teachers deciding to get involved.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

We saw what they did concerning a stadium at U of T.

Wouldn't hold ones breath on the teachers deciding to get involved.

They would if there 's a profit to be made. Which is why the Leafs

and Raptors don't spend enough money. The teachers pension group

want profit before success.

Why can't the CSA link up with one of the teams in the Belgian Jupiter League. They have a very lenient foreigner system. For example, Beveren fields a starting 11 that consists of Ivory Coast players. Surely this would be cheaper than putting 10mil in the MLS.

Guys there is a lot of confusion here, is it for sure the CSA that is putting up the 10 million dollars for an MLS franchise?? (Cause I'm under the impression its not) Or is it supposedly a private investor ??

If it is the CSA then many of you guys have a right to voice your opinion on what else they could do with the 10 million,, for example start our own domestic league or whatever,,, but if its not the CSA, then no one here as any right to say what a private investor should or shouldn't do with their money. If for example the Argo owners want an extra major league tenant for the soccer/football stadium to bring in more money , then more power to them.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

Guys there is a lot of confusion here, is it for sure the CSA that is putting up the 10 million dollars for an MLS franchise?? (Cause I'm under the impression its not) Or is it supposedly a private investor ??

If it is the CSA then many of you guys have a right to voice your opinion on what else they could do with the 10 million,, for example start our own domestic league or whatever,,, but if its not the CSA, then no one here as any right to say what a private investor should or shouldn't do with their money. If for example the Argo owners want an extra major league tenant for the soccer/football stadium to bring in more money , then more power to them.

KG-the domestic league has been tried twice and failed twice , it'

ain't gonna work, not in this country anyways. The MLS with the CSA's

help could go a long way of keeping the sport and national team program alive. The USL is a very poor league,with Edmonton and Calgary folding frachise yet again. The Lynx will no doubt be next

if MLS is approved for Toronto or not. The CSA helping out with the franchise fee would be a good thing for soccer in Toronto in the long run.

Beast, If you have read any of my posts in the past or even numerous posts of mine in this thread you will see I'm all for MLS. As much as I would love to see a Canadian domestic league, I'm very skeptical of the fan support and corporate sponsorship numbers we would get. It's really annoying me when people come on here and say that instead of spending 10 million on MLS the investors should take a big risk and create a Canadian league,,,,I mean gimme a break...I don't think that's very smart business, and I don't think we have any right to tell investors what to do with their money. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there were any other cities in Canada right now that could support a soccer team with average attendances around 4-5 thousand a game, you would see them in the A-league as we speak, but we can't support it, so we are left with the big 3 and no domestic league. There is nothing going on with soccer at all in this country at the moment so at least an MLS team would promote the game and cause some awareness out there. I live in Kelowna, I watch all the Raps and Jays games on sportsnet, I'm quite sure I would watch Toronto MLS if Sportsnet picked up the tv contract for them as well, and I don't think I'm alone. Hopefully one MLS team could turn into 3 eventually, boosting soccers image in our country, which in turn could create enough interest to form a Canadian developmental type league, similar to the pyramid structure Pipe suggests....But for gods sake ,,lets get something going here people...

Archived