Is Stalteri's starting position safe?

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

He's an article from SkySports.

I have hi-lighted the section that makes me wonder about Stalteri's future as a strater at Werder Bremen.

Werder track Brazilian ace

Tuesday, 03 February 2004

By Thomas Zeh

Bundesliga leaders Werder Bremen have emerged as new contenders for Sao Paulo ace Gustavo Nery, according to reports in the Brazilian and German media.

The gifted left back, who has already starred in Brazil’s national team, has reportedly caught the eye of Uefa Cup winners Porto and Italian duo Roma and Internazionale.

Premiership outfit Tottenham Hotspur have also watched the 26-year-old in the past but have not pursued their initial interest.

He recently announced that he has turned down a contract extension with Sao Paulo and would be keen to seal a move to Europe as a free agent in the summer.

Werder coach Thomas Schaaf is keen on an alternative to Canadian international Paul Stalteri on the left as Swiss Under-21 youngster Ludovic Magnin has so far failed to live up to expectations and could therefore be tempted to make a swoop for Nery.

Gustavo Nery plays the Left wing at Sao Paulo... Stalteri is a natural right sided player. I suspect there may be more moves at Werder as Ailton is scheduled to move on too.

Bottomline is that Stalteri is too valuable to leave on the bench. If he is not expected to play next year, I would suspect Werder will move him for some cash.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Gustavo Nery plays the Left wing at Sao Paulo... Stalteri is a natural right sided player. I suspect there may be more moves at Werder as Ailton is scheduled to move on too.

While watching the Bremen game on Saturday on FSWC, I heard Allen Hopkins say that Miroslav Klose will be joining the team over the summer, as replacement for Ailton.

Could be the best thing for Stalteri to lose his left back position. He is playing there because Werder is weak on defence, lacks any sort of depth in this position and because he has the ability to play this position. His natural position would be as right defensive midfielder with some freedom to be making rushes up the right side. I have watched some games in which he played here for Werder and he was very strong. Schaaf knows as well as anyone that Stalteri is playing out of position. If Werder had the budget of Bayern or Dortmund, this would have been rectified two years ago. The fact that they don't have this budget is one thing that makes Stalteri so valuable to Werder with his ability to play every position other than keeper (if he could play keeper he probably would have been their starting keeper last year when this was their biggest problem).

quote:Originally posted by Metro

While watching the Bremen game on Saturday on FSWC, I heard Allen Hopkins say that Miroslav Klose will be joining the team over the summer, as replacement for Ailton.

Ailton is off to Schalke next season, despite Schalke's financial problems (according to Inside Soccer). Klose will be a good addition

for Bremen. I don't think Stalteri should have any problems being

in the first-team; his strength is his versatility. Remember a couple

of years ago, he played midfield and even striker positions. Bremen

seems to like his ability to move up from the back to attack, as well

as his speed to get back, as shown last Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Can. in UK

Looks like Stalteri will be moving to the mid-field for next season...

(Skysports)

"Long-term Werder Bremen transfer target Gustavo Nery has signed a four-year deal with the Bundesliga leaders.

Bremen have been tracking the Sao Paulo full back for some time and have agreed a deal to bring him to to the Weserstadion in the summer.

The 26-year-old, who had been previously linked with Tottenham, Internazionale and Porto, is set to replace Paul Stalteri on the left of Bremen's flat back-four and would free the Canadian international to play in his preferred position in central midfield. "

I watched the game on Saturday vs. Schalke on FSWC and thought Stalteri had a great game at left back. He was up against the bull Asamoah all game and handled himself quite well.

I like him at right back in my eleven. I stop there or else I will be in the wrong thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

Werder Bremen has a real shot at the title and to hold up well in Bundesliga you need depth. You can't expect them to resist up front with a thin squad. 7 points is a small margin over Bayern who won't keep playing "badly" all spring. Especially if they are knocked out of Champions, as they'll be very concentrated on the league.

Paul has been a regular starter for them this year, and is seen as reliable and versatile. If they win the league that will be the success story of the year for Canadians at clubs, unless maybe Benfica can somehow make it to the UEFA final with Aguiar playing.

Getting him back into central midfield on a regular basis with his club side will be great for us! I always felt that he had some problems with the transition to centre mid during national team games because he wasn't playing there with Bremen. Hopefully he will be able to hone his distribution skills from the centre mid.

I have a lot of respect for him; he answers the bell for Canada every time, works hard in every match, has proven durable, leads by example. He would be my starter as the holding midfielder; do you think he should be captain, as well?

I think selecting Stalteri as captain might be a controversial choice. I'm sure most of us remember Stalteri flipping of De Vos during a match (one of the intrepid posters on this site could probably provide the image). As much as he is a great leader, a captain needs to be level-headed. I think that Stalteri probably has a little too much fire in his belly for someone who needs to be a calming influence on the field. That is not to say that he can't contribute as a leader without being captain.

He certainly has come a long way since he was the favourite whipping boy of the Voyageurs.

Best bloody news I've heard in a long time. Not too surprised since rumors have been posted about Bremen bringing in a fullback recently (maybe it was this one!).

Wonder how much of this Diesel brought on himself? Maybe someone got tired of playing out of position? Don't mind me, just barking at the moon.

Captain, eh? You know what, that just may be what the doctor ordered. At least Paul has the advantage of being able to back up all his mouth with an on-field presence that demands respect. Don't know if HE is quite up for that sort of responsability and role (as most people would see it).

Interesting question.

What makes a good captain? What makes a good footie captain? Geezus. What makes a good footie captain for Canada?

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

He certainly has come a long way since he was the favourite whipping boy of the Voyageurs.

Remember he used to be called "Larry"?

No more ...

I find it somewhat ironic that the he flipped the bird to De Vos

who could well be his defensive partner at back.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

As much as he is a great leader, a captain needs to be level-headed. I think that Stalteri probably has a little too much fire in his belly for someone who needs to be a calming influence on the field.

You're right . . . a captain needs to be level headed.

Like Roy Keane, for instance.

Roy Keane can rot. Fergie's little toadie.

Piss on Roy Keane. Piss on anyone who looks like Roy Keane. Piss on people named Roy Keane but aren't the same Roy Keane as the Roy Keane Mick McCarthy is so very fond of.

There. That feels better.

And getting back to the captain slant this topic has taken on. I think Canadians are more accepting of a vocal, enthusiastic, captain than say some other nationalities might be. Maybe it's a hockey influence, who knows? But someone who plays with the quality and perceived dedication a Paul Stalteri dose certainly has the authority to chew some ass out there on the pitch when he feels the need arises. They're all big boys. If they can't take it, now's as good a time as any to learn to.

And it's not as though our current captain, JDV hasn't been seen doing a little animated barking now and then.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Assuming Belgium doesn't count (ie. Rad and Anderlecht), I would think so.

You could also, in that case, include Daniel Imhof at St. Gallen. Oddly that year, we had both Imhof and Rad playing in the Champions league. Canadian players have not been as fortunate since that time. Or even before .

Archived