• 1.5k views
    • 45 replies
    • 3.5k views
  • Qatar Tifo Fund Raiser

Please help out! 

Check it out here. 

https://www.thevoyageurs.org/store/product/73-qatar-2022-tifo-fund-raiser/

• FIFA World Cup 2022 - Qatar

• His girlfriend is more than alright.  (Though someone needs to tell her Theo hasn't played for the Whitecaps in 2 years.)
    • I agree with much of what you wrote, but at the same time I think you've also touched on some of the "deficiencies" of gegenpressing - and whether those would cause real problems for the CMNT (or not) is of course the question.  I.e. It does depend on fitness.  No, it's not all-out 90 minute pressure but when their left-back bobbles the ball at 70' your RW and number 10 have to be just as ready and willing to jump on him as they were at 10'.  Gegenpressing loses its effectiveness as the gegenpressers become less willing/able to do it.  (As Rangnick found out quickly with CR7 😉) The principles are relatively easy to learn, but in practice, the coordination/positioning of the gegenpressing is both critical and not so easy.  If your LCM loses the ball, and the LW thinks he's supposed to stay high and wait for a counter rather than jumping in to double-team the possessor, it could be a problem.  That kind of real-time misunderstanding can literally occur dozens of times in a game and lead to big issues.  It's why the standard "lose possession, drop back" strategy is the tried and true approach for many teams - especially ones (like national teams) that haven't spent much time together.  I would also add that often the teams who are good at gegenpressing have an on-field quarterback (e.g. Thomas Muller in Hansi Flick's Bayern) who direct the gegenpress (e.g. the static periods, the traps, the "when to exceed the 6 seconds" vs when to drop back, etc.)  I'm not sure we have that kind of quarterback in our roster.   But I do agree that on paper, if any national team has the personnel to do this kind of tactic, it's probably us.  And if you do it right, it can be huge gamechanger - especially for athletic teams who are built for attack rather than methodical build-up. 
    • I think the experience that we have to worry about is what Herdman had learned with the women, man management in tournament play over a short period.  Some criticize his tactics but isn't that really done by committee with the HC being the final arbiter.  And wasn't the Spanish guy in charge of X and Os (dunno, just asking)
    • Santi Gimenez is being linked to Milan