January N.A Camp Roster of 16

Ian Kennett

Coach Frank Yallop will invite 16 North American based players to what amounts to a national team tryout camp in January in Florida. No European based players will be included in the camp. The camp will be combined with Bruce Twamley's Olympic team camp. As such, players already included in Twamley's list of Olympic candidates will not be included in Yallop's squad. Yallop will announce his tryout squad in early January.

All this, naturally invites debate, suggestions, and speculation as to just who will or ought to be included in the January roster for the N. A based World Cup team hopefuls. Here is a list of possibilities. The squad can also include players on indoor teams (who, I presume, have played outdoor very recently).

Keepers - Larkin, Sutton, Zagar, Franks, Onstad

Defenders - Pizzolitto, Gervais, Serioux, C. Franks, Lyall, Fletcher, Watson, Leduc, Kindel

Midfielders - Sulentic, Nash, J.Clarke, Aristodemo

Forwards - Jordan, de Rosario, Corazzin

Is there anybody else who ought to be considered? Who do you think might deserve a shot at the N.A tryout camp?

There is one certainty. Yallop will leave no player out who deserves consideration!

Cheers!

I think Onstad won`t be available because he underwent surgery on December 15th.

"Onstad Undergoes Surgery:

Earthquakes goalkeeper Pat Onstad, the 2003 MLS Goalkeeper of the Year, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle on Monday, Dec. 15. Earthquakes team physician, Dr. Arthur Ting performED the operation. In his first season with the Earthquakes, Onstad set the club record for shutouts (9) and owned a 1.04 goals against average. "

sjearthquakes.com

Bruce Twamley and a roster of 14 are going to play a friendly against Martinique in Fort de France on December 29th.

Keepers - Olivieri, Zarzycki

Defenders - Arango, Braz, Fronimadis, Pozniak, Savaria

Midfielders - Ademolu, Hutchinson, Kindel, Simpson, Williams

Forwards - Canizalez, Matondo

Looks like Kindel might be considered as one of the over age players. Who are the other over age players?

Frank Yallop is probably more familiar with the Whitecaps players than others after seeing them in 2 friendlies with San Jose.The 2 I suggest get a good look are Sulentic and Lyall.Sulentic is the creative type of midfielder that we lack.Lyall is the speedy backliner who can mark opposing strikers out of the game.Both deserve consideration.The only problem is that they are both not game fit.

I like the idea of an all-NA camp. Sure there are some Euro-based players who could come over, but I'm sure they will have their own camp somewhere down the line where Yallop can evaluate. Let's get a good long look at the guys like Gervais, Sutton, Sulentic, etc. that have been strong in the A-League, but never really given a long national team look. Every Euro-based guy we fly over is one fewer NA-based guy we get to look at.

The only name I can think of not listed is a real wild card - Edgar Bartolomeu. I would be shocked if he got invited since I'm not sure he's a citizen or is even interested. What about Eduardo Sebrango? Is he even elligible as a political asylum seeker or whatever he was.

Since there's a lot of keepers around and Onstad will be coming off of surgery I don't think he'll be there. There's no real reason for him to be - Frank knows what he can do anyway. If we had a glut of forwards I might say the same thing about DeRo.

cheers,

matthew

So who wants to pick a 16-man roster? I will add I expect Carlo Corazzin will get called and probably should be, but it's tough to narrow down and I left him off mainly because I know what he can do. It was a toss-up between Corazzin and leaving DeRo at home since he's a known entity.

GK: M. Franks, Sutton, Zagar.

D: C. Franks, Gervais, Lyall, Pizzolitto, Serioux.

M: Aristodemo, Clarke, Nash, Sulentic.

F: DeRosario, Jordan, Kindel, Ngon.

What are the odds any of these guys save DeRo and Onstad figure into things next summer? I'd say Nash, Pizzolitto and Gervais are the ones with a real shot, but who knows what Frank will do.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

Keepers - Larkin, Sutton, Zagar, Franks, Onstad

Defenders - Pizzolitto, Gervais, Serioux, C. Franks, Lyall, Fletcher, Watson, Leduc, Kindel

Midfielders - Sulentic, Nash, J.Clarke, Aristodemo

Forwards - Jordan, de Rosario, Corazzin

Is there anybody else who ought to be considered? Who do you think might deserve a shot at the N.A tryout camp?

There is one certainty. Yallop will leave no player out who deserves consideration!

Cheers!

Four more Whitecaps players who should be considered are:

1) David Morris as Midfielder/Forward. He always plays well and he has the advantage of his height.

2) Nico Craveiro as Defender. As a midfielder, he didn't seem very effective. But, once he was put on defence, he was excellent (until he was injured).

3) Oliver Heald for his work in Midfield (also for penalty shots).

4) Alfredo Valente as Midfielder. He may be short but he can run and score great goals.

It's about time Whitecaps players were given the chance to try out for the National Team.

Gk,Franks, Sutton

DF Pizzolitto, Gervais, Fletcher, Watson,

MF R.Aristodemo, M.Nash, J.Clarke, M.Biello T.Kouzmanis, S.Kindel, K. Holness, N.Dasovic

FW Corazzin, Jordan E.Thomas, N.Thompson.

I left out Onstad and De Rosario because they are more than likely to figure into Yallops plans and im assuming this camp is to get a look at some fringe players.

Isn't Niall Thompson past it? Isn't that the concensus? Where are Kouzmanis and Elvis Thomas playing? I saw Holness play three weeks ago and don't even think about it.

I've always liked Sulentic, but put it this way, I can't see Hume and Hutchinson both (maybe one, but not both) cracking the 18-man roster for qualifying in the midfield. If they do it will be at the expense of a guy like Bircham or Bent. Frankly I don't see Sulentic in that kind of class. I guess we'll see, that's the point of having these kind of camps isn't it?

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

hume is a forward and hutch is a defender. why would either crack the 18-man midfield?

Hume splits his time between forward and midfield with Tranmere and Hutchinson is a central midfielder. I disagree with Matthew, however, and think both will crack the 18 man roster this year.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Hume splits his time between forward and midfield with Tranmere and Hutchinson is a central midfielder. I disagree with Matthew, however, and think both will crack the 18 man roster this year.

Maybe. Hume for certain. Too versatile an attacking figure to leave out and never mind the investment in grooming.

Hutchinson is tougher. For me it'll all depend on where Yallop'll plan on playing Diesel and if Aguir comes out. If Diesel's at fullback, could see Atiba very likely in the squad sooner rather than later. He's shown he can play center D. although he seems a little light for me in that possition (coming from a McKenna booster:)?).

Agree all around that both Bent and Bircham are out on the frontiers of squad selections.

Pizzolitto, and Gervais. Very keen on giving the pair a go. You'd think they'd be on the same page as it were, anyway.

Watson, Dasovic, Corazzin. No thankyou.

Archived