Canada vs Belize home game

jaydog2006

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to mobilize our forces in the east - lets see everyone on both boards from Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa & Montreal - and all points in between - at this match to cheer on Canada. It would be the first time in a long time that we get a chance to cheer the team on in Canada, and could be the last chance for a while in the east as I'm expecting the matches will go west after this.

Richardson Stadium sounds like a good venue. A good size, a different market and a nice location for a lot of the people on here. Hopefully there will be a nice loud contingent in Kingston. Besides it is a nice historic place to start our historic slow march to Germany.

cheers,

matthew

Kingston is a great location, and should get it as Central Canada is due to host a men's game at any level. You'll all remember that I predicted it first!

CSA should say this at the announcement ( to forestall any later criticism of the second round home games being out west ), and point out that it's the largest (in terms of spectators) natural turf stadium in Central (or Eastern Canada?). They should also say that Ottawa and Montreal woulld be in the running, but FIFA's WC Regulations clearly state that any artificial turf is not acceptable for WCQ's for a country that does have natural turf stadiums available. This should help with any leverage needed to negotiate for aid for any stadium development.

One thing to keep in mind - Kingston's population goes down considerably in the summer once the Queen's students have (by & large) left. The women's game was played in Sept. while school was in, this match will be played in June when most have left, and I think attendance from locals may suffer as a result (Kingston, as yet, hasn't been traditionally known as being much of a soccer town, though these kind of events could help change that). However, that may simply make it easier for those out of town to get a ticket.

One thing to keep in mind - Kingston's population goes down considerably in the summer once the Queen's students have (by & large) left. The women's game was played in Sept. while school was in, this match will be played in June when most have left, and I think attendance from locals may suffer as a result (Kingston, as yet, hasn't been traditionally known as being much of a soccer town, though these kind of events could help change that). However, that may simply make it easier for those out of town to get a ticket.

I think the Fifa regulations state that Field Turf can only be used if no other stadium is available. The home team decides which stadiums are available.

The sell out was due to the memebership of the Southeast Ontario Soccer Association.

I attended the game and inspected the pitch, the grounds crew take great pride in keeping it in top notch shape.

Sportsnet did cover the Australia game (exibition)

This game I believe will be high priority.

I don't care if better games are on tap for later on. This will be the first competitive home game in ages (a friendly may get played before June) and I'm hoping to come east (from Calgary) to take it all in. Great chance to make some Voyageur connections should the favour need to be returned for western-based games.

Keep the information coming to when tickets may be available, cuz we may need one of our T.O. bretheren to pick me and some others up a ducket or two. If anyone in Van-city, Cowtown, Edmonton and points in between the continental divide and The GTA want to organize a caravan, we could head east on the cheap.[xx(]

I think it would be neat opportunity because this game may have some real significance in terms of the return of our side.:D

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

ya it would be a great chanse to meet everyone but maybe the next round where the games get better?

Geezus, dose a starving man turn down a stale biscuit to wait for the roast beef he knows is eventuraly coming? Forget that. The sun could blow up tomorrow. Give me that dry cracker!

(We'll see. Budgets, holiday schedules, etc. You know, logistical crap like that. REALLLY want to run up that VISA next summer, though).

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

I think the Fifa regulations state that Field Turf can only be used if no other stadium is available. The home team decides which stadiums are available.

Your first statement is correct, but the regulations say nothing about the home team deciding which stadiums are available:

"As a general rule, all FIFA World Cup matches (preliminary and final competitions) may only be played on natural turf. If a playing field is not available in natural turf with the prescribed dimensions, matches in the preliminary competition may, by way of exception, be played on artificial turf in accordance with the FIFA Quality Concept. Permission for such an exception shall be requested from FIFA at least 2 (two) months prior to the match." (Regulations - 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany, Section XII, Article 18, Paragraph 1).

The way I interpret this, as long as there is a grass stadium somewhere in the country then artificial surfaces can't be used.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Great news for me if this is true. Kingston is only a 45 minute drive away. [:P]

it USED to be only 45 mins away for mE! I just moved from Bellville ontario this summer....damn and i thought belleville sucked. You don't happen to be located there too do you?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Your first statement is correct, but the regulations say nothing about the home team deciding which stadiums are available:

"As a general rule, all FIFA World Cup matches (preliminary and final competitions) may only be played on natural turf. If a playing field is not available in natural turf with the prescribed dimensions, matches in the preliminary competition may, by way of exception, be played on artificial turf in accordance with the FIFA Quality Concept. Permission for such an exception shall be requested from FIFA at least 2 (two) months prior to the match." (Regulations - 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany, Section XII, Article 18, Paragraph 1).

The way I interpret this, as long as there is a grass stadium somewhere in the country then artificial surfaces can't be used.

My arguement is based on "If a playing field is not available in natural....." .

The CSA does not own a stadium therefore it must rent one and if there is no stadium available then the rules allow Field Turf.

It is the owners of the stadium who decide if thay will rent it.

If the CSA and the stadium owner cannot come to an agreement then the stadium is not available.

(just to note that last year the Canada-England Game was moved from the Centre Claude Rob. to a Field Turf venue as the City of Montreal decided two weeks before the match that the field could not be ready.)

I do believe that in this case the CSA would prefer to return to Kingston to keep the momentum going in that part of the country.

A sell-out crowd makes good press.

At this time, I could get involved in this.. Have a car and would be passing by the airport... Keep me in mind when we get closer to that date. Definitely interested but can't commit this far in advance.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

I don't care if better games are on tap for later on. This will be the first competitive home game in ages (a friendly may get played before June) and I'm hoping to come east (from Calgary) to take it all in. Great chance to make some Voyageur connections should the favour need to be returned for western-based games.

Keep the information coming to when tickets may be available, cuz we may need one of our T.O. bretheren to pick me and some others up a ducket or two. If anyone in Van-city, Cowtown, Edmonton and points in between the continental divide and The GTA want to organize a caravan, we could head east on the cheap.[xx(]

I think it would be neat opportunity because this game may have some real significance in terms of the return of our side.:D

Archived