fantasy w.c. squad

bettermirror

------------------------------------Joe Kennaway

--Bobby Lenarduzzi--Frank Yallop---Randy Samuels---Bruce Wilson

-------------------------------------Paul Stalteri---------

---------------Gerry Gray-------Dale Mitchell-----Igor Vrablic

--------------------------John Catliff---Alex Bunbury

It's late and I may regret some of those choices. Really, really hard. Forrest, deVos, Menezes, Bridge; DeGuzman, Aguiar, Valentine, Ragan, Brennan; Pesch, Radzinski (I had him on, but decided against three forwards). There's a second team to boot.

I may be missing some great guys from way back in the day, but I can't think of anyone too obvious I've left out.

cheers,

matthew

I would suggest the following changes

Radzinski and de Guzman need to be included if only because they are playing in Top 4 leagues in Europe.. Vrablic I thought was a forward. So I would take out Catliff and Vrablic..

I am ok with the defence but I will point out that they are not a cut above current players such as De Vos and McKenna. I don't know Kennaway in goal but I would make a case for Forrest because he had a lengthy career in England and really held Canada together when our defence was average in the '90s

quote:Originally posted by matthew

------------------------------------Joe Kennaway

--Bobby Lenarduzzi--Frank Yallop---Randy Samuels---Bruce Wilson

-------------------------------------Paul Stalteri---------

---------------Gerry Gray-------Dale Mitchell-----Igor Vrablic

--------------------------John Catliff---Alex Bunbury

It's late and I may regret some of those choices. Really, really hard. Forrest, deVos, Menezes, Bridge; DeGuzman, Aguiar, Valentine, Ragan, Brennan; Pesch, Radzinski (I had him on, but decided against three forwards). There's a second team to boot.

I may be missing some great guys from way back in the day, but I can't think of anyone too obvious I've left out.

cheers,

matthew

I think DeGuzman will be good enough in the future, but right now his national team career accomplishments are pretty minor compared to guys who have retired. Catliff's our all-time goal leader (with Mitchell) that must count for something.

Kennaway was one of the best goalies in the world in the 1930s. He led Celtic to two league titles and three cups in a 10-year career in Scotland back when it was one of the premiere leagues in the world. He was capped for Canada and Scotland and played on the Scottish league XI a few times. Colin Jose said he was the best Canadian of the century, that's good enough for me.

There aren't many real clear-cut choices though....

cheers,

matthew

Kennaway maybe should be recognized as the starting goalkeeper. Still I don't see Vrablic ahead of de Guzman. Also Radzinski has to be one of the starting forwards. So if Catliff belongs on the starting eleven, it should be at the expense of Alex Bunbury. However, I guess I am using my sense of quality rather than national team record.

I think DeGuzman will be good enough in the future, but right now his national team career accomplishments are pretty minor compared to guys who have retired. Catliff's our all-time goal leader (with Mitchell) that must count for something.

Kennaway was one of the best goalies in the world in the 1930s. He led Celtic to two league titles and three cups in a 10-year career in Scotland back when it was one of the premiere leagues in the world. He was capped for Canada and Scotland and played on the Scottish league XI a few times. Colin Jose said he was the best Canadian of the century, that's good enough for me.

There aren't many real clear-cut choices though....

cheers,

matthew

If the question is about a "dream team" (as originally posted), I don't think it matters that Catliff has scored more for the National team than Radzinski at this point in Radz's career - my dream team would feature the most talented players in the best combination & that wouldn't include John Catliff, who was good in the air, had a great, hard left-footed shot but was incredibly slow. Bunbury & Radz would be fine, but I'd go with Radz & Mitchell as two strikers. Stalteri & De Guzman would be in the midfield, with Forrest in net. Not sure about the rest of the team.

My daydreams are about guys scoring goals in the red and white, not mega talents looking disinterested half the time. ;)

Anyway the forward spot was really, really hard to decide.

I can't believe DeGuzman is almost unanimous by everyone but me. The kid has loads of talent to be sure and is in a big league, but I'm not sure you could even call him a regular starter for Canada at this point (sure that miller and holger's fault more than his). I guess pure skill and potential merit it, but when thinking all-time his career is still really early.

Oh well, everyone's choices have been good and there's no easy choices in the lineup.

cheers,

matthew

I can't believe DeGuzman is almost unanimous by everyone but me.

cheers,

matthew

I agree with you Matthew. DeGuzman may well end up on the dream team in a few years, but it'll be a few more caps to convince me.

BTW, I trust you've shaken the embers off your jacket and coughed the smoke out of your lungs.

My dream team

Forrest

Wilson, Samuel, deVos, Miller

Valentine, Mitchell, Hooper, Stalteri

Bunbury, Radzinski,

Subs : Dolan, Lenarduzzi, Sweeney, Catliff

The most strange thing about James "Joe" Kenneway is that he signed with Celtic to replace their current keeper John Thomson who was tragically killed. Thomson received a serious head injury while playing against Rangers on September 5th, 1931. He died later in hospital, having never regained consciousness after the incident. He dive at the feet of Rangers forward Sam English as he went to shoot. As English shot, John Thomson's head took the full impact of the Rangers player's knee, leaving the goalkeeper unconscious and his head bleeding. He has only 22 and was caps 4 time by Scotland.

What a terrible story !

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

BTW, I trust you've shaken the embers off your jacket and coughed the smoke out of your lungs.

I was there almost before the fire trucks (I just happened to be at the bank across the street) and within 15 mins figured it was under control and carried on my way out of town. Boy was I in shock when I woke up the next morning and heard the damage and that it was still raging. As sad as it is, the whole block is a destroyed piece of frozen beauty.

cheers,

matthew

I understand your regarding de Guzman. But behind Vrablic? If I remember he didn't really even do that much for Canada. And if I remember correctly he also was not available all times because of club commitments (Seraing (sp?) in Belgium)but I don't know how much he played for them. I also though Vrablic was a forward.

Re: being a starter, de Guzman this year is clearly one of the top three Canadian players playing. Last year as a sub for Hannover, maybe not.

My daydreams are about guys scoring goals in the red and white, not mega talents looking disinterested half the time. ;)

Anyway the forward spot was really, really hard to decide.

I can't believe DeGuzman is almost unanimous by everyone but me. The kid has loads of talent to be sure and is in a big league, but I'm not sure you could even call him a regular starter for Canada at this point (sure that miller and holger's fault more than his). I guess pure skill and potential merit it, but when thinking all-time his career is still really early.

Oh well, everyone's choices have been good and there's no easy choices in the lineup.

cheers,

matthew

Wasn't Vrablics one of the guys caught up in that gambling scandal?

One of my memories from World Cup 1986 - and one of the reasons that I was not too thrilled with Tony Waiters - was Steve Armitage saying in that dramatic way of his "Vrablics has run for miles" has he harassed an opposing - I think French - player deep in the Canadian zone. I remember being pissed about that as Vrablics was a forward. I hated the fact that Canada was playing a defensive shell and that Dale Mitchell was on the bench.

Sort of thing you've got to sit down and give a good long think to.

Know this though. Catliff, no. Vrablic, why? Didn't Yallop play fullback? If so, well you gotta drop the 'Duz.

Radz. and Bunbury. Now that is a Canadian fantasy. Radz. and Bunbury playing in front of (The Great) Gerry Gray, Mitchell, and Diesel. Yikes. If only...

Nice to see Randy and JDV making the wall in front of Forrest. Samuels was quicker than he looked. JDV is however, not.

Nice, Kenneway story. Didn't know he had any sort of Canadian connection at all. Celtic faithful still sing Thomson's tale 70 years on. Bit of the folk lore. Always will be I guess. Before my time, though.

Archived