• 4k views
    • 13 replies
    • 5.4k views
  • Qatar Tifo Fund Raiser

Please help out! 

Check it out here. 

https://www.thevoyageurs.org/store/product/73-qatar-2022-tifo-fund-raiser/

• FIFA World Cup 2022 - Qatar

• Honestly, I do thing Noonan make a hell of a lot of sense as a hire. MLS and A-League are arguably the most similar projects in world soccer to what the CPL is trying to build so finding a guy who has that very rare and specific experience is a good move IMO. I also think that the CPL can become a solid tier II league worldwide in the grand scheme of things and that people will generally concede that more then three clubs were indeed needed, that the US quota on non-US clubs in their D2 leagues meant that we didn't really have any other options then a fully Canadian one to make it happen and that something like the CSB deal was a sad necessity to build the financial foundation. As to whether they believe they will supplant the MLS clubs in the Canadian market... Honestly, I'd say the jury is still out on that one. Its pure speculation on my part but my impression is that they got sold by Montagliani and the federation that the MLS clubs (as well as the Fury) would be forced in and have to play ball pretty quickly, even if only grudgingly, ''because that's just how its done in Soccer'', nevermind that its actually not how it has turned out in the two other countries comparable to Canada (Wales and New Zealand) in having recent pyramids...  IMO they probably understood that it wasn't going to happen in the near future at the same time they did... Where their minds went after that realisation? Honestly, I don't think anyone knows. Maybe they still do believe the MLS clubs would be brought in, willingly or not, in the not-too-distant future and that they could convince them to accept it and smooth things over if they were conscripted rather then recruted. Maybe they believe they will fold instead ala Fury and the CPL will be allowed to pick up the pieces as well as manage to pacify the old fans of the three MLS clubs like they did with the Fury ones in Ottawa. Maybe they genuinely thing York United and VFC will become more popular then TFC and the Whitecaps on their own merits. Maybe they are accepting the MLS will be around for sometimes but the ''we are D1, good damnit'' spin on their decision making still make them feel they need a presence in the MLS markets at all costs. Personally, I preffer to give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they are both realistic and not mean-spirited toward the MLS clubs and that they are thinking more of a relatively willing version of the first option or the fourth option. More broadly though, and that was kinda what he was trying to get with a fair few of my last posts on the forum, is that I do believe there is a space between ''this whole thing was a mistake'' and ''in the CPL we trust'' went it come to the league. It is possible to believe in the project and that the sacrifices made by Canadian soccer for it will be worth it while also criticising some of their decision-making in general and especially believing they should be more anxious to ween themselves out of the CSB money asap than they are. And you know what? I would argue the league actually do need people like that! At least as much as it need its diehard fans. No organisation is perfect, either in sports or elsewhere, and they all can benefits from constructive criticisms, even if they are strong ones sometimes, because that's how they are held accountable. For most sports orgs its usually the media who play that role but for the CPL their main source of media coverage at this point is just too closely tied to the league to play that role. It need to be us, the fans, who do it.
    • For people bringing up Moncton as a comparable for Halifax, it's really not. Moncton is approximately one-third the size of Halifax and doesn't have nearly the same corporate/economic muscle. New Brunswick in general is an issue for pro sports because its total population is theoretically large enough for a team but it doesn't have one big city at the center of everything, it has three geographically disparate small ones. Canada has fifteen metro areas with a population above 300,000 (eighteen above 200,000): Toronto [MLS/CPL] Montreal [MLS] Vancouver [MLS/CPL] Calgary [CPL] Edmonton Ottawa-Gatineau [CPL] Winnipeg [CPL] Quebec City Hamilton [CPL] Kitchener London Victoria [CPL] Halifax [CPL] Oshawa Windsor Saskatchewan's two major cities are #16 and 18, in the 220-260 range. Kelowna, which is also frequently discussed, is #20 at around 180,000. To me, while you should obviously be willing to listen to any investor groups that are seriously interested, the cities in the top 15 that don't have a team are where the league should be focusing your energy. Botching the Edmonton team situation, in particular, was such a debacle. The continued inability to get anything going in Quebec City is also rather discouraging when you consider both its size and the lack of competition; it's the most underserved sports market in the whole country.
    • Was looking at West Ham manager odds today for fun and masocism. The bookies will take bets on some people Canada has been linked with..   Marsch (33-1) Potter Lampard (only 28-1 for some reason) Mourinho Solskjaer    Moral of the story the press in England get bored writing about actual football.     -Also you can get 14-1 for us to win our Copa America group. 
    • Beauty cutback! 2 goals, 3 assists on the season.  
    • What are you talking about? Where I grew up all the kids who weren't going to college or didn't have the grades for SFU or UBC played for the Surrey Rams. Many were friends. Not sure whays up now but since the Douglas College, Kwantlen College BCITs of the world dont have football programs im assuming not much has changed. How is this an old trope?