January N.A Camp Roster of 16

Ian Kennett

I've said before the most likely way I see Atiba cracking the 18 is in the back. For the next 6-8 months or so at least. But he is a natural midfielder. Hume played as a right mid against Libya and against Finland he came on as a third forward and had a pretty free role, so I don't think you can say he's a 'striker only' at the senior level.

So who are they up against? Take 2 keepers, let's say six defenders, (for argument's sake Stalteri, DeVos, McKenna, Jazic, Klukowski, Reda) and three forwards (Radz, DeRo, Pesch). That leaves seven mids (again just for argument's sake Brennan, DeGuzman, Aguiar, Nsaliwa, Bent, Bircham and Imhof).

DeGuzman and McKenna add some cover up front. Bent, Birch and Tam give right back cover and one will also likely play right mid. Hume and Hutchinson will have to beat out either Bent, Birch, Imhof or Tam in the mf. Or Hume replaces Pesch. Or Atiba grabs the backup centreback role and plays out of his natural position ahead of Reda or McKenna. I didn't even include Menezes. Of course the centreback spot is a dog's breakfast so who knows who besides DeVos will wind up there (Rogers is even playing again, so who knows).

I'm not saying it won't happen or that I don't want it to happen (if Hume and Hutchinson are picked ahead of Bent and Imhof or something, I'll assume they earned and we're better off), but I don't expect it to happen. I think they'll be in very tough to crack the 18-man roster despite a great month in the UAE.

So yeah I'm looking forward to this NA camp, but realistically they've all really got their work cut out for them to really make an impression on this team.

Of course everything I've said is contingent on all of the players being fit, happy (more productive) and healthy. You can never have too much depth and hopefully we'll see that some of our NA-based guys are ready to fill in if injuries arise and we won't miss a beat.

I really, really like Hume and Hutchinson, but there are only so many spots. Everyone's excited about Aguiar and Jazic and Bircham coming back and then we're excited about the U20s, but the fact is we already had a pretty good midfield and adding five new faces makes for a very over-crowded place.

Here's to Frank making the right decisions because halleluya! we've got depth!

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

That leaves seven mids (again just for argument's sake Brennan, DeGuzman, Aguiar, Nsaliwa, Bent, Bircham and Imhof).

Given the style of play I hope Yallop is going to pursue, I don't think there is need - or room - for Aguiar and</u> Bircham in the same 18, the same is true of Imhoff and</u> Bent. So instead of 4 spots taken by those players, I see only two. I think that adding Hume and Hutchinson to the roster gives Yallop more options for changing the course of a game. Which is why I think you'll see those two break into the regular 18. I'd rather see Bent or Imhoff/Aguiar or Bircham/Hutchinson/Hume in those four spots than Aguiar/Bircham/Bent/Imhoff.

So, I like Matthew's keepers, defenders and strikers, but my preferred midfield consists of Brennan, DeGuzman, Nsaliwa, Hume, Hutchinson, Aguiar or Bircham, Bent or Imhoff. Although, even if a 3-5-2, neither Hume nor Hutchinson starts yet, but they are definitely on the team of 18. Since we are likely to see a 4-4-2 from Yallop if history is any indicator, even in the event of closing down a 1 goal lead, there will be an experienced defensive minded mid on the bench (this assumes Brennan, DeGuzman and Nsaliwa start) for substitution purposes. So in a sense, I don't think they do "earn it" in that if Bent were not available, I'd rather see Imhoff start if the game matters. There is a value to experience. On the other hand, I think the chances are better for a tying goal with Hume coming off the bench rather than Imhoff/Bent. Exactly the same is true of Hutchinson and the Aguiar/Bircham combo - and to be truthful, I am assuming Aguiar is the better of the two players.

As for the North American camp, I am disappointed that some of the Scandinavian players won't be getting a look. Specifically, Stamatopolous, Reda and Bernier.

Hutchinson and Hume may only be ready for a substites role with the MNT right now, but let us not forget that WC2006 is 2.5 years away. By that time, I am predicting Hutchinson will have earned the central defender spot next to Devos over McKenna, Reda and Menezes. Hume will be battling with DeRosario, Radzinski and Nsaliwa/Bent for the striker/right midfield role.

And, as has been said many times on this board, it will take a squad of 20-25 players to get to WC2006 when injuries, club committments and form are taken into account. Hume and Hutchinson will be instrumental in taking us there.

Good points Gordon and Ivan,

You can't predict what might happen in two-and-a-half years, but I agree Hume and Hutchinson could both be starting for us in Germany. In the meantime I agree we'll need at least 25 players over qualifying. But even at that we have what 30 senior guys in Europe at least and I was just trying to back up my point about the NA-based guys being longshots (except obviously DeRo,Onstad and anyone who shows they have a clue about how to play centreback) to figure in right away.

Still nice to give these guys a look.

Interesting to note Belize will also have a camp in January apparently (though as I'm learning through research nothing in Belizean football is ever a certainty).

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Ooooh, ok.. any reason why he is called diesel? (there must of been a discussion earlier about this, and i apologize.. but i wanna kno why he is called diesel)

and yes kevin nash was a wwf wrestler with the persona... diesel.. thats all

Ah hah! Encouragement! Gather 'round children and let Gaffer Cheeta recount a tale...

Well, let's see now. Was it the Wolfsburg friendly or the Gold Cup of 2003? I think the Gold Cup. Tantrums and all Mr. Stalteri showed an awe inspiring display of endurance and skill. A marvel to behold, even against the Cubans on the black day.

Complete commitment. Tireless running. Unbelievable stamina. The man showed us an engine that just couldn't be stopped. He reminded me of me before I became lazy and fat:(.

And so he was Christianed Diesel. Had to be Diesel. It's German. It's manly (Energizer Bunny is, if you'll pardon my French, for faggots). And it inspires a mental image of an unstoppable, untiring, if however not exactly attractive, machine. And that machine children, will just keep going and going.

To me at least, that tag fits the man like a glove. Or suitably sized condom. Whichever.

P.S. Have to admit I missed the wresting trivia bit. It's been many happy years since I left the trailor park.

Guest Jeffery S.

Regarding who could make a squad of 18 and who could crack it, I think we have to remember that all those playing in Nationwide England are not necessarily going to be released for FIFA dates even. As the leagues play on such dates you are going to have constant problems in this regard come autumn, even though they could be obliged to release them. But running into serious club conflicts is a bad idea, as if worse comes to worse the player gets benched, loses his match fitness and motivation perhaps, and then is less useful for us.

Which is why Imhof and Aguiar, who would get FIFA dates off assuming both are in top flight next year, are going to be key, while Bent and Bircham could be left out upon occasion to keep their clubs reasonably calm.

Just because Dale moved Atiba into the back and he did well does not mean we should be playing him there. He only had a few games there, and unless some club decides he should be there for their needs he won't be sharp in the position come a semi-final group game vs. tough opposition. I'd much rather see McKenna in the middle with de Vos.

As for Hume, I think he could have a good role in the midfield, but since he is more an attacking mid, you'd have to decide how many such players you want in the mid. For me De Guzman and Stalteri is enough, backed by two strong holders like Bircham and Aguiar, with Imhof as another option. Atiba as well. For me Stalteri is wasted at the back, I prefer to see him in a more creative role giving service to Radz and Pesch. Again, Hume is a player who will likely be in Div 2 next year unless they transfer him, but even then I doubt he'll be playing top flight, so the question of FIFA dates is a problem for him too.

Add to this the fact that we are going to ask for these young players for the Olympic qualifiers, once again losing club time.

Jeffrey, I thought Stalteri created a number of chances and provided good service to midfielders and front runners in the recent friendlies from his right back spot. Similarly, he is very involved in creating offence and moving the ball forward as a left back with Werder Bremen.

I think we are going to need offence from wherever we can get it during qualifying. If we can use, say, Hume and DeGuzman (lets not discount Brennan as yet - he is gradually getting more and more playing time at Norwich - as it is hard for them to insert him into a winning lineup) both in midfield, along with Stalteri & Jazic making overlapping runs from the back line and moving the ball forward, it will go a long way in our region.

Having said that, we would run into difficulty with Brennan, deGuzman and Hume in midfield from a ball winning standpoint and will need to balance with a couple of ball winners (Aguiar, Bircham, Imhof, Bent)

We still need that playmaker however and Julian may be that guy.

Food for thought: Jonathan DeGuzman will be 20 in 2006, by that time starting for Feyenoord.

Ivan. Interesting point about Jonathan DeGuzman.

I too believe he will start for us in 2006 (of course, I am going out on the limb here) but if he is the best player of his age in the Netherlands right now at 17, he will definitely be able to play for us when he is 20 in 2006 if he continues to progress at the rate he is doing. The Dutch have Snyder (19) and Van Der Vaart (20) starting for them in the current national side and it seems he was comparable to them at his current age. I really believe that he may be the kid that springs out of no where to play for us in the last round of qualifying in two years time (and help us get to the World Cup).

Imagine a midfield in 2006 with Julian on the left, Jonathan and Hutch in the middle, and Hume on the right. Wow. I think its possible although I may think Hume would be better up front at that stage with Stalteri at right mid and Nsaliwa at right back.

Of course, Wyn Belotte springs to mind as well....so young De Guzman still has time to fail miserably.

The other player to keep an eye on over the next year or two is Canizales either up front or on the left. Remember Stalteri spent a few years being groomed in Bremen's amateur team before making the step up. Its quite possible we could see Canizales playing for Bremen next year on the left of midfield as I believe they are still reasonably high on him.

Thanks for the dose of reality An Observer, although I am not quite ready to give up on young Wyn just yet. After all, he is only 19.

Jonathan helping get us to Germany in 2006 is still a longshot for numerous reasons (one of which I refuse to even consider), but is someone who could be considered for the two reasons you named, Snjader & Van der Vaart.

However, I am leery of Canizales. Stalteri was a regular for the WB reserves, if I remember correctly, before he made the jump up. Maycoll is having problems seeing first team reserve action, although he has been plagued by injuries.

I think the point is, someone not currently on the radar screen could step up in the next year or two and play a big role in getting us to Germany.

We'll see what happens with the NA camp, but certainly there is room for a keeper of the likes of Franks or Sutton to make an impression to move up the depth charts, enough to perhaps warrant a back-up spot sometime in qualifying if one of the others is injured, and I still see the possibility of using Aristodemo in Central America, putting him on late when we are defending a one-goal lead, in order to help keep the ball & possession (akin to how Holger used Canizalez against Costa Rica in the Gold Cup). I don't see Robbie starting in the midfield, but he could be useful in that type of substitute situation (and in fact, was used by Twamley in the last World Cup qualifiers in exactly the same role against Cuba, before Aristodemo & Holger had the long-speculated falling out).

While I also prefer Stalteri as a middlefielder to defender he has played well for Canada at this position and is not going to be switched back to midfielder until we have someone of similar skill to replace him. This is the exact same situation he faces in Bremen where he is playing defender not because this is his strongest position but because at this position the team is weak and has little depth. At the moment the only players I could see replacing Stalteri at the midfield in the near future in order to move him forward are also middlefielders, Nsaliwa and Hutchinson, and given their lack of experience I don't see this happening soon. With Brennan, Nsaliwa, DeGuzman, Aguiar (my first choices) and Hume, Hutchinson, Imhoff, Bent and Bircham we have a lot of choices in mid. I might even start Pesch as an offensive mid as he impressed me with his ability to feed Radz against Ireland. At striker we are also fine although we lack depth. Thus Stalteri is forced back to where we are weakest which is defence where presently I consider only DeVos to be a top rate defender. Jazic did seem to be a decent though not outstanding defender in the Ireland match. Stalteri is particularly important here because he has speed which is dearly lacking in our back line, can stick with fast, tricky strikers and is able to move the ball out from the back effectively. The lack of a goaltender that can consistently bail us out like Forrest did makes a solid backline all that more important. Maybe if Reda, Pozniak, McKenna and later Arrango prove to be solid defenders at an international level he could be moved up but for the next while I think we will continue to see him in the back.

Re: the back four, Mike Klukowski needs to be mentioned as an option - if he can play regularly at the back for a decent Belgian club side, he must be considered a candidate for the job at the national level.

The thing about having Stalteri & Jazic at the back is that they can help us bring the ball out - particularly important without someone like Menezes (or one day Arango) who can act as the central distributor out of the back. Stalteri took the ball & ran up the field with it quite well against Ireland & played some nice give & goes with Bent to move the ball up. Jazic also did this on the left side, but didn't get as far, particularly because he was saddled with Hastings to work with & he and the rest of the Canadian team looked like they were terrified of passing the ball to Hastings against the Irish.

Jazic behind Brennan and Stalteri behind Bent/Imhof would give us a very mobile defense corps, one with speed and overlapping possibilties (as all of Brennan, Bent and Imhof are capable defenders in the midfield).

If a full side is available including Aguiar I don't see any of Bent, Imhof or Bircham as being starters. I don't think any of them are technically gifted enough to be top level international players. In a 4-4-2 I would play DeGuzman as the offensive mid coupled with the most offensively gifted of Nsaliwa, Aguiar and Brennan (probably Nsaliwa) the other two playing defensive mid. I would then move Hume and Hutch gradually into this mix of first choice midfielders. Bent, Imhof and Bircham plus Nash and Bernier I would use as depth players and substitutes.

Archived