Flags for 2006 World Cup

Alright,

I'll be in England during the next World Cup, so if Canada happen to qualify, I will definitely be making their matches.

Already thinking of making up a flag... something with "Vancouver" on it, or "Vancouver On Tour" or something of the like.

I remember playing with Photoshop about a year ago and posting a prototype, only to be outdone by a Calgary supporter who had made up a prototype of his own.

Anyone remember who it was? Or did anyone save it to their harddrive? Wouldn't mind having a look at it again.

Also trying to figure out what design to go with... a Canadian flag in blue (for Vancouver)? Stick with red and white? Hmmm....

Actually, the Whitecaps have a sizeable supporting cast in Newcastle via the Peter Beardsley connection. Plus, Newcastle sent two players who weren't quality enough for their squad to the Caps last season - only Craig Robson made the caps' roster.

That's decent enough, the Vancouver Whitecaps titles are written far too big. Keep the flag mostly Canadian with maybe "Vancouver Canuck Supporter" or something. you know? no need to support a club team at an international event.

This was an idea in the USA Fans and Travel forum on Bigsoccer some time back:

The problem with the American flag is it's too "busy". It isn't footy friendly like most crosses and tricolors. While an interesting idea, the above Canadian flag appears to have the same problem as well. Someone from Minnesota had a wonderful idea on making a sort of "Uncle Sam's Cross" if you will. What they mocked up in photoshop was basically two long, white strips of cloths sewn together to make a cross. Then at the top left and bottom right corner he put 2 USA flags, and at the top right and bottom left, two state flags of Minnesota. Now that it formed a proper looking flag, he wrote "Minneapolis" on the horizontal part of the white cross in the middle. It looked great and would be a unique, sizable banner visible all over the stadium. The same can be done for Canada with your provincial flags and national flag. If you wanted a bigger variety, you could probably put in club or historical flags instead of two provincial, two national. Failing that, just buy an ass load of national flags, and hang them all over the place. :D

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

That's decent enough, the Vancouver Whitecaps titles are written far too big. Keep the flag mostly Canadian with maybe "Vancouver Canuck Supporter" or something. you know? no need to support a club team at an international event.

Don't use the word "Canuck". We're supporting soccer, not hockey.

I was working on a Southsiders flag in the past... perhaps we could start from there.

barmyarmy.jpg

Contains the coats of Vancouver, BC, Canada, and the Governor General (giving it a "British" feel, being British Columbia and all).

Problem: too "English" for a Canuck flag

barmyarmy2.jpg

Problem: the blue is more "Vancouver", but perhaps isn't that great as a flag for supporting Canada?

barmyarmy3.jpg

Problem: same as above, but perhaps less busy.

The "Sam's Army" idea is a good one.... I could use the flags of Vancouver, BC, Canada, and put "86" in the last square (a homage both to the Vancouver 86ers, and to the only year the Canadian men have been to a World Cup). But again, it doesn't scream "Canadian"....

If I do write "Vancouver" or "Vancouver Whitecaps" or whatever in a cross in the middle, what colours would the cross and font be? White on blue, just like the Whitecaps kit? Not very Canadian.... White on red? Perhaps too English-looking....

Ah, designing a battle flag. Wonderful.

How about an ensign of sorts. Just good old white with Pearson's Maple Leaf in the upper left. Isn't that what the fleet ships fly? Vancouvers a port city. Borrow that.

Gives you a nice white field to work with. Vancouver Whitecaps in blue right through the middle and you can add the citys and dates in much smaller type as it were as the battle flag makes it's hopefully successful visits around the globe.

As has been said, just a thought.

P.S. If our lads make Germany AND I can get a passport I'm bringing the Jolly Roger. Hand sticked damnit! Arrrrg.

Cheeta,

Sounds good, but would it be appropriate to have the centre of the flag in blue, since Canada doesn't play in blue? This would be especially problematic if our opponent were to use blue as their primary colour (such as Japan, France, etc). That's the reason the first flag I posted was completely red and white.

Supporters of Fisher Athletic (a small, non-league club in London I'll likely follow after I arrive) made up a "barmy" flag, but the St. George's Cross was in black, rather than red. Looks great for Fisher matches, but might have looked odd at the World Cup alongside all the red and white flags...

Anyway, off to go play with Photoshop....

Okay, here's a few more crap prototypes:

ex1.gif

Was looking at the Flags of the World website, and quite a few Canadian military flags use the Canuck flag in their top-left... here I've added the Governor General's crest.

ex4.gif

As per Cheeta's suggestion. '67 = Canada's centennial and first season of pro footie in Vancouver (as the "Vancouver Canadians"); '86 = Canada at the World Cup and the Vancouver 86ers.

ex5.gif

Added the Centennial logo between the words "Vancouver" and "Whitecaps".

ex6.gif

Thought it might be unique to use the Centennial logo as the maple leaf, but the lines seem a little too thin next to the font....

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Supporters of Fisher Athletic (a small, non-league club in London I'll likely follow after I arrive) made up a "barmy" flag, but the St. George's Cross was in black, rather than red. Looks great for Fisher matches, but might have looked odd at the World Cup alongside all the red and white flags...

There was a yellow and green Norwich flag at England-Sweeden at the last World Cup. I've also seen Toronto Maple Leaf fans with blue Canadian flags before. IMO, as long as you stay true to the design, the color won't matter.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Are the lines in the Lethbridge flag all uneven for real?

Indeed! It's called the "Fort Whoop-Up Flag" - I kid you not! http://www.city.lethbridge.ab.ca/info/flag.htm

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

Being a native of Medicine Hat, I'm not surprised in the least that Lethbridge has such a f***ed up flag.

Go Tigers!

Blair

Are the Jays still in MH? I say one of their games while passing through once...

Archived