Yallop announces roster for Barbados friendly

Jarrek

YALLOP ANNOUNCES ROSTER FOR

BARBADOS FRIENDLY AND TRAINING CAMP

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s World Cup Team head coach Frank Yallop today announced his 15-player squad for a training camp in Ft. Lauderdale and an international friendly against Barbados on January 18.

The players will assemble in Ft. Lauderdale on January 12 and join members of the Olympic team who are currently preparing for the upcoming Final Round of Olympic Qualifying in Mexico, February 2-12. Yallop will add one or two players from the Olympic team for the friendly in Barbados in Bridgetown on January 18 before returning to Florida on January 19 and continuing the camp until January 23.

“This camp will give me an opportunity to evaluate a combination of young and older players as we set out sights on World Cup Qualifying this summer,” said Yallop. “It will also allow some new players to show their abilities and it’s a great way to get started.”

The squad is comprised almost exclusively of North American based players with the exception of Patrice Bernier who is on his winter break with Moss FK in Norway and Olympic team captain Chris Pozniak who is on trial in Norway. Bernier earned his first two senior caps against the Czech Republic and the Republic of Ireland in November.

The Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact are both represented by four players with Nick Dasovic, Carlo Corazzin, Jeff Clarke and Johnny Sulentic from Vancouver and Nevio Pizzolitto, Martin Nash, Greg Sutton and Gabriel Gervais from Montreal.

This is Clarke’s first selection since May, 2002 when he was called up for a friendly against Switzerland while Sulentic earns his first senior call-up. Both were members of the Olympic team during qualifying in 2000. Pizzolitto and Nash are currently playing indoor soccer with the Cleveland Force and the Dallas Sidekicks respectively, while Sutton and Gervais will be making their first appearances with the senior national side. Sutton, named the A-League Goalkeeper of the Year in 2003, was also with the 2000 Olympic team and earned one cap against Jamaica. Gervais has been named an A-League First Team All-Star team in each of the last two seasons.

Edgar Bartolomeu, a defender with the New York/NJ MetroStars in MLS, has also earned his first call up. Born in Angola, Bartolemeu has obtained Canadian resident status and resides in Toronto in the off-season. He spent two seasons with the Toronto Lynx in 1999 and 2000.

Yallop has also chosen MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Pat Onstad and strike Dwayne de Rosario from the MLS champions San Jose Earthquakes.

Rounding out the squad is veteran defender Mark Watson, who leads all active players with 69 caps, and defender Carl Fletcher who has represented Canada 40 times at the World Cup level.

Canadian Roster For Florida Training Camp and Barbados Friendly

Name Position Club Date of Birth Caps Goals/Shutouts

Pat Onstad GK San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 1/13/68 38 15

Greg Sutton GK Montreal Impact, A-League 4/19/77 0 0

Nevio Pizzolitto D Cleveland Force/Montreal Impact 8/26/76 6 0

Mark Watson D Charleston Battery, A-League 9/8/70 69 0

Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, A-League 9/18/76 0 0

Carl Fletcher D Unattached 12/26/71 40 2

Edgar Bartolomeu D New York/New Jersey MetroStars, MLS 9/14/76 0 0

Chris Pozniak D/M Orebro, Swedish Premier 1/10/81 9 0

Nick Dasovic D/M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/5/68 60 2

Martin Nash M Dallas Sidekicks/Montreal Impact 12/27/75 29 2

Jeff Clarke M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 10/18/77 19 1

Ive (Johnny) Sulentic M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/24/79 0 0

Patrice Bernier M Moss FK, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 2 0

Carlo Corazzin F Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/25/71 57 10

Dwayne de Rosario F San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 5/15/78 17 3

Staff

Frank Yallop Head Coach

Colin Miller Assistant Coach

Kevin Muldoon Goalkeeper Coach/Equipment Manager

Dave Foley Physiotherapist

Morgan Quarry Team Manager/Media Officer

Sanjay Gupta Doctor

i totally agree on Frank Yallop. See what he's basically doing is looking at these north american players, because when we are having are qualyfing round for the world cup he can use some of these players. Because dont be to surprised if we dont see some of are top players at some games. I really would like to see Edgar Bartolomeu, Graig Sutton play for are Canadian team.

It seems as though Yallop is leaving no stone unturned.

Anyone recall Bartolomeu from his Lynx days, or has anyone seen him play for the MetroStars on FSWC or something? Could be an interesting call-up, especially in an area in which we've been suffering lately.

He doesn't seem to be playing too much in MLS, but then he was a mid-season pickup that may still need time to learn the Metros system.

Either way, I'm glad Yallop is unafraid to test out new players (although I'm sure Yallop is somewhat familiar with Bartolomeu from coaching against him in MLS).

quote:Originally posted by David C.

My memory of Bartholomeu was as a bench/depth player for the Lynx. How he got to MLS is beyond me.

He's still playing more minutes than Fenwick, so at least its a start.

He was an awesome attacking player for the metro stars... but the problem with him is, well he sucks on defence. If you were to play him in midfield he would be a good player, but to play defence would be a bad choice in my mind. Tho i have no problem with him getting a call.

Positives - Bartolemeu has made MLS, so certainly worth having a look at (I wasn't aware that he was Canadian, but it look like it just happened).

Also, Gervais finally getting the look that Impact fans have been suggesting for years

Negatives - if De Rosario might be leaving for a European trial/loan, we will have a grand total of one striker for the camp (even if a couple of Olympic team strikers are added for the friendly). Budalic, Jordan & Ngon aren't worth a (proper) look, at the very least?

Also, if you're going to call Bernier (which I agree with wholeheartedly), why not call Reda (playing a division higher) and Kojic (playing at the same level as Bernier) to give them a deserved look?

Puzzles - when the U23 team scrimmages against the senior team, who will Pozniak play for? I had thought that the 16 players would not consist of any Olympic team members, if so his spot could have been taken by another player worthy of a getting a look

Another puzzle - Kindel gets called to the Olympic team camp (even though he is not eligible for the Olympic team), plays & scores twice in a friendly against the Martinique senior team, then doesn't get called to the senior camp (which he is eligible for, obviously). Strange.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

maybe Reda and Kojic have personal committments, or simply didn't want to go!

I think the main factor is that Poz and Bernier are out of contract.

As is, the only thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that only two strikers were called, and that one of them might not even be there.

I would have liked to have seen Kindel, Aristodemo and Serioux get a call, but for the most part, most of the squad is hard to argue with (Ill debate the Dasovic appearance). Plus either Jordan or Budalic would have been nice to shore up the strike corps. Maybe an 18 man squad would have been in order.

The release said Yallop will likely add a player or two from the Olympic team camp. This means Kindel could get the call to the senior side or Friend (although unsure if he is in Ft. Lauderdale) because he's an Olympic team player.

I'm hopeful that the Reda omission from the list means one of three things: 1. an injury that doesn't need to be aggrevated before the new domestic season. 2. Personal commitments. It is his offseason after all. 3. He's alreay considered a part of the senior side player pool (wishful thing maybe).

A few facts to clarify - Friend is part of the Olympic team and presumably will be part of the U23 side of the camp (and could be added to the Barbados friendly squad). The original plan was for Yallop not to call any Olympic players, so the surprise isn't that he wasn't called to cross the field (literally) to play with the older boys, but that Pozniak was (it just means that really only 14, rather than 15 players, were called to the senior team). Kindel is not part of the Olympic team (he was part of the last one) and I had thought was only playing with the Olympic team on the 29th to keep in shape in preparation for this camp. I guessed wrong, it seems.

Also, I think Bernier is actually under contract with Moss - he just didn't sign an extension that was offered to keep him past the upcoming season. Interesting that Poz is attempting to move from Sweden to Norway - is the money better there ( according to Dandal's post a few months back, it is a higher-ranked league than Sweden)?

A post of LOSF on the other board indicates that Aristodemo would have had to have missed two indoor matches for this camp and San Diego would have had no obligation to release him since the friendly is not on a FIFA date. So his non-selection might have been caused by that, who knows. Nash, conversely, won't miss any matches. Pizzolitto will miss one & his team also didn't have to release him, but did anyway.

Although listed as a midfielder Sulentic is more than capable of playing in a classic striker position even moreso than Jordan.Jason Jordan is a good A league player but I don't believe he has the potential of a Johnny Sulentic.

I agree with everyone on the Marco Reda ommision.There must be a good reason for it.

I hope that Watson,Corrazin and Dasovic get their fitness up to international standards otherwise I don't see the point in having them in the squad.If we have to rely on out of shape veterans to get us to the hex we could be in trouble.

Took a bit but Corrazin did his part for the Whitecaps last year with a goal or two on a side which badly needed them. So mayhaps he'll have something to show against the younger lads.

Now, as for Watson, Fletcher and Dasovic? Whatever.

If Mr. Yallop wants to bring out some of the old crew for his fun camp then that's his business. These are players who Franki must feel have something to offer besides what they bring to the field. If that's the case then great. Honestly though, it's hard to imagine what insights they can bring from their long, succussful, and productive international careers.

Hey, maybe they can inspire the lads with tales from WC '94. Or '98. Japan & Korea? Kinda striking out here.

Don't mind me. Just throwing darts.

P.S. Watching the Impact pair and Mr. Friend with great interest.

P.S.S. Wonder how many of these fellows we're going to see making the return leg to Belize after the 1st team puts on The Kingston Massacre in June? Quite a few I'll bet. Bunker down in Belize, don't surrender more than 6 and we'll be okay.

Like I said before I think that Yallop called these veterans in Dasovic, Watson, Fletcher and Corazzin for the experience, for the respect and for a last chance to proove themselves. These guys have been long serving members to the national team and do not deserve to just be written off without a fair assessment. They obviously werent called for the Czech and Irish games with good reason so I think its better he have a look at them here with a "b" squad then calling them up with the "a" squad in high profile friendlies. This is the best time to look at them. You can never have too much depth. Dasovic and Watson might be looking to score a coaching job aswell.

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

Like I said before I think that Yallop called these veterans in Dasovic, Watson, Fletcher and Corazzin for the experience, for the respect and for a last chance to proove themselves. These guys have been long serving members to the national team and do not deserve to just be written off without a fair assessment. They obviously werent called for the Czech and Irish games with good reason so I think its better he have a look at them here with a "b" squad then calling them up with the "a" squad in high profile friendlies. This is the best time to look at them. You can never have too much depth. Dasovic and Watson might be looking to score a coaching job aswell.

There's nothing wrong and maybe we should admire the way the new coach is treating the vets with respect. A message to the new players

" We won't throw you out with the bath water"

All capped players deserve and have earned a look;)

While I'm pretty confident Watson and Dasovic's days are done, I see what people are saying about respect. As a new coach he might as well look at the old guard. Holger certainly never did and while I think Randy Samuel's career was over, I really felt Alex Bunbury's wasn't. Not quite anyway.

That being said we can't respect the veterans at the expense of the kids who deserve a real crack. So far I don't think we've had too many glaring omissions (as long as Reda shows up in a Euro-based camp).

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

He was an awesome attacking player for the metro stars... but the problem with him is, well he sucks on defence. If you were to play him in midfield he would be a good player, but to play defence would be a bad choice in my mind. Tho i have no problem with him getting a call.

I wouldn't use "awesome" and "Bartolomeu" in the same sentence. I highly doubt he'll see any action for Canada. He just isn't very good. He played behind rookies and only played for the metrostars during a severe injury crisis.

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

I wouldn't use "awesome" and "Bartolomeu" in the same sentence. I highly doubt he'll see any action for Canada. He just isn't very good. He played behind rookies and only played for the metrostars during a severe injury crisis.

Crazy Yank, I'm wondering if you know why the Metros keep him around? Does he have an in?

Archived