CP - New Canadian soccer coach looks to have fun

The Coach

New Canadian soccer coach looks to have fun at first camp in Florida

By NEIL DAVIDSON

(CP) - Canada's foreign legion won't be present but there will still be some familiar faces on the field when Frank Yallop opens his first camp as head coach of the national soccer team next Monday.

Yallop is bringing in some 16 North American-based players to Sunrise, Fla., for a Jan. 12-23 camp that includes a trip to No. 124 Barbados for an exhibition game Jan. 18 in Bridgetown. He calls the camp "just a good look-see. "It's a good start for me to get my feet wet a little bit with it."

The former San Jose Earthquakes coach has elected to leave his European-based players with their clubs, saving them for when he really needs them.

"I want to look as many players available to me as possible," Yallop said from Vancouver. "This gives a chance for the North American-based players to come out and show what they can do."

Veterans coming to the Florida camp include defender Mark Watson, midfielder Nick Dasovic and forward Carlo Corazzin. The three, all currently playing in the A-League, have 187 caps between them.

Yallop knows all about those three, but says the camp will afford him a chance to see "how they're looking."

Goalkeeper Pat Onstad and striker Dwayne DeRosario, who both played for Yallop in San Jose, are also scheduled to be in camp although DeRosario may not be there the whole time. He is looking to catch on with a European club on loan for some playing time before the MLS season starts.

While Yallop only officially took over the job on Jan. 1, he is already showing he is cut from a different cloth than his predecessor, Holger Osieck.

Osieck had little time for the A-League, and took quite a while even to warm up to Major League Soccer.

Yallop, as a former coach and player in the MLS, is far more complimentary towards the North American game.

"I know that the level in North America is high. It's not a Mickey Mouse league, the A-League, and guys based over here know it's a good productive league. I'm looking at those players to come in and try and show me what they've got."

Unlike Osieck, Yallop is not dismissive of Canadians playing indoors in the MISL. He knows that the indoor game helps them pay the bills, especially in the A-League.

"For me, if you can play, you can play," said Yallop, adding "If he's playing just indoors, then we've probably got a slight problem."

Players with indoor teams coming to camp include midfielder Martin Nash and defender Nevio Pizzolitto.

"If they're good enough, they'll be involved."

Because the North American players are out of season, their fitness will not be 100 per cent. But Yallop says he won't run the players into the ground.

"We've got a game against Barbados, but we're not preparing for a tournament or a big game. For me to go in and just run them to death . . . I want to see them play. Now I understand they're all at different stages in their fitness. I won't be running them and killing them. I want to see them play. I want to see them enjoy it. I want to see what they can do with the ball."

"I'm just looking forward to seeing some red shirts running around, see how they're going to perform for Canada" he added.

Because I was proud to play for my country and I'm sure these guys can't wait to get going. . . It should be a good fun camp."

Fun was not a word that came up very often in Osieck's camps.

Canada's first challenge under Yallop is a home-and-away World Cup qualifying series against No. 174 Belize in June. Canada is currently No. 87 in the world rankings.

Yallop says he has yet to choose an assistant coach. Colin Miller will be helping out in Florida and Olympic coach Bruce Twamley, who will be down at the same time with some of his squad, will also be on hand. Under-20 coach Dale Mitchell will also be available.

Yallop says all three would be worthy assistants.

"What I've got to do is make sure I make the right decision. I've got plenty of time. . . . I've got three guys right there who are more than qualified to be an assistant coach for me. I'm not worried about it. One of the three will be doing it. It's just getting to the bottom of which one and what fits right for them too."

Between his squad and the Olympic players available, Yallop plans to hold several scrimmages in Florida. Some 10-12 members of the under-23 team are currently in Florida preparing for next month's final CONCACAF qualifying tournament in Mexico, although several European-based players have yet to join the squad.

Notes: Ottawa and Montreal will host the CONCACAF qualifying women's under-19 tournament May 28-June 6 that will determine which two countries progress to the world championships in November. The Canadian under-19 team has scheduled three friendlies later this month in Trinidad and Tobago. The Canadians will play the senior Trinidad side on Jan. 17 and 19 after taking on the under-19 team on Jan. 15 ... The senior Canadian women's side has its sights set on Costa Rica and the CONCACAF Olympic qualifying tournament Feb. 25-March 4. Canada will warm up for that competition by joining host China, Sweden and the U.S. at the Four Nations Tournament... CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean, has suspended Guatemala following the removal from office of federation president Jose Mauricio Caballeros. The matter has been handed over to FIFA ... Winnipeg assistant referee Hector Vergara has been invited to officiate at an under-23 invitational event in Qatar later this month.

I had posted this under the January roster thread but have deleted it since it was subsequently duplicated here. Here are my original comments on the post I deleted:

I'll see what the rest of the squad called will look like to make a full assessment, but so far this is discouraging. What's the point in seeing what Watson, Corazzin & Dasovic are like at this time of the year - are we planning to use them in the hex at this time next year, when Dasovic will be 36?

As for tv coverage, highly doubtful I'd guess. I'm more concerned about getting full coverage of the Olympic qualifiers in February - the next Voyageurs email campaign?

I didn't want to see Watson, Corazzin & Dasovic either but the coach has to bring them in as a matter of formality. He can't dismiss guys who've recently played for the Nats without even looking at them. I'm confident he'll watch those three run around, thank them for their time and send them on their way.

I'm not certain that we should be dismissing Watson so quickly. He may have something left to offer. Corrazin and Daza, I think are past it.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I had posted this under the January roster thread but have deleted it since it was subsequently duplicated here. Here are my original comments on the post I deleted:

I'll see what the rest of the squad called will look like to make a full assessment, but so far this is discouraging. What's the point in seeing what Watson, Corazzin & Dasovic are like at this time of the year - are we planning to use them in the hex at this time next year, when Dasovic will be 36?

As for tv coverage, highly doubtful I'd guess. I'm more concerned about getting full coverage of the Olympic qualifiers in February - the next Voyageurs email campaign?

I don't get it either. Maybe he is trying to be a "nice guy" and reward those who were loyal to the program. Who knows. But how can it be considered taking a step forward when you keep inviting back members who were part of squads that finished 6th in the hex in one campaign and missed qualifying for the hex in the next campaign. I like the idea of this kind of camp since it could be possible to find a "diamond on the rough". But that chance is lessened when you have the type of players who are well over 30 and will more than likely garner more attention and possibly playing time than some younger player who needs to be looked at or evaulated more seriously.

Sure, one might ask, why exclude and burn bridges with these players by not inviting them. But you can turn that around as say: Why invite them if they are not really in plans? Unless they still are in plans, in which case I would ask, how does it make us a better team than what we had in WCQ 98 and WCQ 02.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I don't get it either. Maybe he is trying to be a "nice guy" and reward those who were loyal to the program. Who knows. But how can it be considered taking a step forward when you keep inviting back members who were part of squads that finished 6th in the hex in one campaign and missed qualifying for the hex in the next campaign.

Well, with all due respect to domestic based players, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Watson, Dasovic and Corrazin are not 3 of the best 18 North American based players. All of them did quite well in the A-League this year and if the name of the game is to qualify for the hex, then have the best 18 at camp. You'd have to name 3 better Centre backs than Dasovic, and at least 3 better strikers than Corrazin (keep in mind that DD won't likley be there)and 2 right backs better than Watson. Yallop can scout the A-League over the summer months for potential gems, but based on what I've heard, all three of those guys warrant their spot based on ability.

I think part of creating a winning mentality is actually winning - even against Barbadoes in a meaningless friendly. Watson, Dasovic and Corrazin will bring experience to an squad otherwise devoid of any (save Onstadt). I have no desire to see a repeat of the American game from a year ago.

I'm not surprised at all to see the old salts in action here. The Canadian program really seems to like sending the veterans along with the new guys--I assume it's a matter of setting the bar for the work ethic, attitude, etc. It's also probably helpful to have guys with plenty of int'l caps giving advice to guys without--I imagine the int'l game is pretty different from, say, A-League.

I don't expect to see any of those guys in the hex, either, though...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Its simply a matter of leadership. You can't just have 16 guys there each with 4 or 5 caps. For a game like this i believe that it will be beneficial for those 3 to be there. However for big european games, or actual wcq, we would have enough expearience and leadership (i.e. DeVos and Stalteri to name a couple.) to be able to leave these vets out.

Didn't dasovic retire from international football and was an assistant coach for half a camp (till he started to play when some1 got hurt? brennen maybe?)

I'm very surprised at the response some of you have given to this news. Especially Gian-Luca. I think that Frank is taking a very wise step in assessing a group of North American-based players that include Watson et al. I don't feel that Dasovic or Watson have anything much to offer when it comes to playing against solid football sides, but how can we expect Yallop to dismiss these players without having first seen them in action in one of his camps? I sense that it is important for Yallop to be thorough--a good thing--and to carry the image that he is nothing if not fair--also an effective management/coaching tool. Yallop is taking the correct small steps necessary to form a good base of players for Canada. I wish he had another year before the next stage of qualifying, but he doesn't. He is on the right track. I don't think he is expecting to form the core of his team from a-league players. But I give him credit for taking a look at what he really has. Any General worth his salt knows the value of each and every soldier, but he can only know their specific worth unless he sees them in action personally. Damn, we've been calling for a North American b-side for so long--this may not be that exactly, but it is a wise step...

As for Corazzin, I have a suspicion that he may still have something to offer the Nats, though he falls well behind Hume, Radz, DeRo and Pesch.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Well, with all due respect to domestic based players, you'd have a hard time convincing me that Watson, Dasovic and Corrazin are not 3 of the best 18 North American based players. All of them did quite well in the A-League this year and if the name of the game is to qualify for the hex, then have the best 18 at camp. You'd have to name 3 better Centre backs than Dasovic, and at least 3 better strikers than Corrazin (keep in mind that DD won't likley be there)and 2 right backs better than Watson.

Bernier & Pozniak have been called (the latter a surprise since he is an U23 player), which means Scandinavian-based players were eligible for this camp after all. So why no Marco Reda, or Milan Kojic (a centre back & right back respectively) I'd rather see those two players get a look just for once instead of the others mentioned, and I would have though Jordan, Budalic & Ngon all deserved a proper look before giving Corazzin yet another one.

To be clear, I'm not forming some anti-Yallop bandwagon or against what he's doing, but that doesn't mean that I have to agree 100% with his selections. Some of the ommission here are disappointing (Aristodemo's national team career must be officially over if they won't even call him for this camp, unless he's injured or something), but hopefully some of the new players will make an impression & become useful. I'm interested in Bartolemeu since he's made the MLS and is now considered Canadian.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Bernier & Pozniak have been called (the latter a surprise since he is an U23 player), which means Scandinavian-based players were eligible for this camp after all. So why no Marco Reda, or Milan Kojic (a centre back & right back respectively) I'd rather see those two players get a look just for once instead of the others mentioned, and I would have though Jordan, Budalic & Ngon all deserved a proper look before giving Corazzin yet another one.

Well, I definitely agree with you re: Reda (especially) and Kojic. My remarks were predicated on it being a NA only camp. I'd have taken both of those players ahead of Dasovic and Watson simply because they have not had a real chance to date. I was expecting 3 strikers to be choosen and DD not to be one of them. I think Carlo is still more effective than either Jordan or Ngon. I was really thinking that it would be Corazzin, Jordan and Ngon. Budalic was off my radar, mostly because I think of him as a Euro based player now although he probably is back in Canada now. So even with the addition of the Scandinavian players, I'd like the pick of Corazzine.

Generally, the team seems quite heavy with Defenders, and light in the midfield and up front. Sulentic, Nash and Bernier give some offensive punch to the midfield, so perhaps that is why Aristodemo was left out.

A pretty much expected selection with a surprise. I knew that Dasovic, Watson and Corazzin would be called. This could be there last chance to impress to be in the regular plans also it is about respect because they have been long serviong members of the national team and do deserve a look and not just being dismissed. You can never have too much depth. A little surprising the scandinavians were called but it is dissapointing not to see Reda get a look. Also I thought Aristodemo would surely get a look because he still is fairly young only 25 or 26 I think. I wouldnt write his international career off completely but it doesnt look good not being called for this camp. Perhaps he is injured but you never know what can happen. Things can change so fast in football.

Am I the only one outraged that Yallop has not shown the respect to the veterans who were there for us in not calling Garrett Kusch and Geoff Aunger.

"Where is the Love" indeed.

On the positive side for the Olympic team players, anyone holding a grudge against Watson due to a telling off they may have received at the hands of the former/current Olympic Assistant coach during the previous qualifiers can now exact their revenge on him on during the U23 vs. Senior team scrimmages, with a well-timed, studs-up, two-foot challenge to the knee.

Just kidding, folks.

Archived