My Grand Theory (not really...)

The Beaver

I said some time ago on the other forum that Canada's Men's National Team will not emerge as a credible soccer side until we have a minimum of 11 players playing in the five elite world soccer leagues: Spain's, Italy's, England's, Germany's and France's--perhaps I should throw in the Netherlands, too. Of course, I did not mean for these 11 to all be goalies, but I wasn't suggesting, also, that they need to cover every corner of the field.

Now, with the possibility of Hutch landing with Udinese, and the possibility of some of our Div 1 lads getting promoted, and with the very good possibility Hume may get transfered to the big pond in a year or two, it suddenly seems we may be inching our way to this critical number. We currently have 3 players playing in elite leagues, with Lars doing his best to make that 4. If Devos and Wigan win promotion, if Hume gets a good transfer, if Hutch sticks with Udinese, then we could be up to 7 in a year or so. if Radz doesn't retire before too, too long, we could see one or two others join this elite group. Maybe Kluka and Nsaliwa. Young DeGuzman seems certain for the elite leagues, but Radz will probably be long gone by that time. I can't wait to see what the next crop of U17s and U20s produce. a couple more humes and hutchs would be brilliant.

thoughts

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Don't forget Brennan and Pesch could be promoted as well.

What does everyone think of Peschisolido's chances of staying with Sheffield next year should they win promotion?It would be a fitting conclusion to a solid footballing career IMO.

I think Peschesolido would keep his "super-sub" position. I think he would perform just as well in the Premier League than he is now with that "position". He could probably call it quits after a season or two up there.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Now, with the possibility of Hutch landing with Udinese, and the possibility .

thoughts

I think that we are getting a little too much ahead of ourselves by assumming that Atiba will be playing in serie A very soon. Its great to hear that there is competition for his services and Udinese would definitely be great place to be. I am sure that he will be a successful pro some day and from what I have seen of him live ( in a Lynx uniform) and on TV, I would say that might be the best young Canadian player that I have seen. But he is still only prospect and we tend to forget that. For example on another post ( a few days ago) someone was making a link between Undinese's interest in him and their decision regarding Pizzarro. Thats unfair and sets unrealistic expections. Its apples and oranges right now when comparing Pizzarro and Hutchinson. Pizzarro is a pro and Hutchinson s not yet 20 years old.

As Craig Forrest said on Soccer Central, while commenting on Man city's interest in Hutch, that he will probabably be sent to play for one of Man City's reserves or youth teams. There is every reason to believe that if Udinese acquires him, they will do the same and let him further develop for another year or more. That is still damn good and something for canuck fans to be thrilled by. It would be great to tune in sunday morning and have a Canadian to follow on TV.

Another reality check. I have scourred tons of Internet soccer sites in English and Italian in the past two weeks and have found very little other than the odd two line blurb. If Udinese's interest for Hutch were for first team duties, don't you think that there would tons of other info? especially considering the way that Italian soccer is coverred by the media in Italy. Another thing that I have noticed is that despite his all star performance a the WYC, he still hasn't hit many radars as far youth prospects in the soccer world. No where near , say, that 17 year old defender ( Vincent Kompany) at Anderlecht. I am confident that that will change as far as Atiba, but for now lets just be happy if they extend him a contract. Here is a typical list of young players that are making headlines in the transfer market:

Peter Castle (Eng) Reading (Eng)

James Milner (Eng) Leeds United (Eng)

Richard Chaplow (Eng) Burnley (Eng)

Martin Bergvold (Den) FC Kobenhavn (Den)

Kenneth Stenild (Den) AaB (Den)

Andy Webster (Sco) Hearts (Sco)

Mickael Essien (Gha) Lyon (Fra)

Mark Wilson (Sco) Dundee United (Sco)

Diego (Bra) Santos (Bra)

Phil Ifil (Eng) Tottenham Hotspur (Eng)

Michael Kightly (Eng) Southend United (Eng)

Mikel Arteta (Spa) Rangers (Sco)

Vincent Kompany (Bel) Anderlecht (Bel)

Rafael van der Vaart (Ned) Ajax Amsterdam (Ned)

Ross Wallace (Sco) Celtic (Sco)

Andrew Whing (Eng) Coventry City (Eng)

Hamit Altintop (Tur) Schalke 04 (Ger)

Cesc Fabregas (Spa) Arsenal (Eng)

Fernando Torres (Spa) Atletico Madrid (Spa)

Jose Reyes (Spa) Sevilla (Spa)

Scott Parker (Eng) Charlton Athletic (Eng)

Chris Eagles (Eng) Manchester United (Eng)

James McEveley (Eng) Burnley (Eng)

Jurado (Spa) Real Madrid (Spa)

Alvaro Saborio (CRC) Deportivo Saprissa (CRc)

Collins John (Ned) FC Twente (Ned)

Mikel Arteta (Spa) Rangers (Sco)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Por) Manchester United (Eng)

Niko Kranjcar (Cro) Dinamo (Cro)

Florent Sinama-Pongolle (Fra) Liverpool (Eng)

Jonas Kamper (Den) Brondby (Den)

Joe Lewis (Eng) Norwich City (Eng)

Kieran Richardson (Eng) Manchester United (Eng)

John Rankin (Sco) Ross County (Sco)

Chris Burke (Sco) Rangers (Sco)

Matt Harrold (Eng) Brentford (Eng)

Stein Huysegems (Bel) AZ (Ned)

Cesc Fabregas (Spa) Arsenal (Eng)

Michael Dawson (Eng) Nottingham Forest (Eng)

Ricardo Vaz Te (Por) Bolton Wanderers (Eng)

David Bentley (Eng) Arsenal (Eng)

Nigel Reo-Coker (Eng) Wimbledon (Eng)

Rohan Ricketts (Eng) Tottenham Hotspur (Eng)

Cristiano Ronaldo (Por) Manchester United (Eng)

Ferne Snoyl (Ned) Feyenoord (Ned)

Wayne Routledge (Eng) Crystal Palace (Eng)

Simon Francis (Eng) Bradford City (Eng)

Freddy Adu (USA) MLS (USA)

Niko Kranjcar (Cro) Dinamo (Cro)

Andy Welsh (Sco) Stockport County (Eng)

Free Kick, whilst I agree with most of your comments on Hutchinson, I don't believe little press means he is any less of a prospect that many other players. Bear in mind, if we looked at your list, we would have the impression that Scotland and England were the best sides in the world. You obvious have been reading the English press and not the rest of the world.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Free Kick, whilst I agree with most of your comments on Hutchinson, I don't believe little press means he is any less of a prospect that many other players. Bear in mind, if we looked at your list, we would have the impression that Scotland and England were the best sides in the world. You obvious have been reading the English press and not the rest of the world.

yes... it just so happens that that was a british source. I used it merely as an a example what you see out there.

Atiba only starts his trial today, and given that he is a young Canadian coming from an unhearalded - and recently relegated - Swedish team, I wouldn't think there would be a whole lot of advance hype, even with his U-20 WC performance. While we should keep this in perspective, lets not sell him short either. We'll see what happens now that he is in Italy.

Archived