CONCACAF Nations League 2024-25 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

The upcoming season of the CONCACAF Nations League is shaping up to follow exactly the same format as the previous edition.
The previous edition of this thread can be found here:
https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/79076-concacaf-nations-league-20232024-group-stage-¼finals-general-thread/

Here is what has been announced about the current edition so far:
https://www.concacaf.com/nations-league/news/concacaf-confirms-details-for-fourth-edition-of-concacaf-nations-league/

What does this mean for Canada?
We will play home-and-away against a team that is TBD in the month of November; the possible opponents are:
Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, Martinique, Cuba, Guadeloupe, Nicaragua, Suriname, French Guiana and Guyana

Our opponent will be determined based on two factors
• the performance of those teams in the "Swiss style" league system that they will play in September and October.
    - The draw for that "Swiss style" round will take place on Monday, May 6th at 7:00 pm ET
• Our CONCACAF ranking with respect to the three other seeded teams [Mexico, USA, Panama]
    - In the previous edition, the CONCACAF rankings of mid-October were used
      https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/
      https://twitter.com/CNationsLeague/status/1714442214149861430

When and where might we play?
• We are likely to play our away match first, perhaps on Thursday, November 14th or Friday, November 15th
• We are likely to play our home (return leg) match Monday, November 18th or Tuesday, November 19th
• Toronto is the favourite to host again given:
  - the (likely) lower travel costs
  - the (likely) lower facilities costs
  - the (likely) higher revenue the match can generate for the CSA
  - BC Place is hosting the Grey Cup on Sunday, November 17th.
  - The lower likelyhood of a winter weather disruption compared to if the game was played in a venue further to the North (Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton etc..)

Like the previous edition of this thread, until the end of the October FIFA window, this thread will mostly be about seeing how other teams are doing and tracking our own CONCACAF ranking to determine who might be our opponent in the crucial home-and-away quarterfinal round.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Draw is tonight.

I just checked OneSoccer's schedule and it isn't listed. So I guess CONCACAF Youtube is where to watch this? An article on CONCACAF's website mentions "The live event will be widely available for fans across the region to follow and enjoy through the Confederation’s TV partner networks and the Concacaf YouTube channel."

So, if we get a bye to the QF, and remain in fourth until November, I imagine we end up with either Costa Rica or Jamaica in the QF? I can't imagine an outcome where neither advance from their groups.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

So, if we get a bye to the QF, and remain in fourth until November, I imagine we end up with either Costa Rica or Jamaica in the QF?

Likely.

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I can't wait to see who we end up with in Nations League 

You'll have to wait; we won't know that until October!

38 minutes ago, Kent said:

I just checked OneSoccer's schedule and it isn't listed.

Probably because Canada isn't involved, so they're not bothered.

38 minutes ago, Kent said:

So I guess CONCACAF Youtube is where to watch this?

Likely. I assume it won't be geo-blocked for Canada.

19 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

So, if we get a bye to the QF...

We do have a bye to the QF; the fun part is if we do well enough between now and October, and we leave Panama behind in the dust rating-wise. We could be the 3rd ranked team in CONCACAF.

Then, because of the wonky "Swiss style system", on one of the two teams to top their Group could easily be Honduras or even one of the teams that looks weaker on paper. We could avoid Costa Rica and Jamaica with a little luck.

----

One thing I am hoping for, and I know @narduch shares the sentiment, is getting Martinique, Guadeloupe and Guyane Française all in the same group to hopefully relegate two out of the three of those teams, so we don't need to play them and reduce the likelihood that they will be at the Gold Cup.

We play them too often, and they give us no FIFA rating.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

One thing I am hoping for, and I know @narduch shares the sentiment, is getting Martinique, Guadeloupe and Guyane Française all in the same group to hopefully relegate two out of the three of those teams, so we don't need to play them and reduce the likelihood that they will be at the Gold Cup.

We play them too often, and they give us no FIFA rating.

You almost got your wish! 😋

Group A seems easy for Costa Rica. Group B is definitely the scarier of the two, IMO.

Yes, Group B definitely looks more competitive. I feel like Martinique or Guadeloupe have a decent shot of advancing out of their group unfortunately.

I liked how after every nation was drawn they would give a little anecdote, like "This is their 2nd straight season in League B", but for Grenada they just said "Grenada... yup!"

I don't know how I feel about getting the bye to the quarterfinals. I suppose I should be optimistic with how our federation has been recently. But what is the likelihood of us scheduling 4 friendlies during the September and October window? I want us playing games rather than getting the bye.

15 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't know how I feel about getting the bye to the quarterfinals. I suppose I should be optimistic with how our federation has been recently. But what is the likelihood of us scheduling 4 friendlies during the September and October window? I want us playing games rather than getting the bye.

Personally I'd rather they went back to the old system, with either groups of 3 or 4 is OK with me. I just think it makes the competition better, and I miss playing those group stage games. And I do think probably part of why we lost in the quarter-finals last time out was due to not having momentum from a group stage, just like I think us playing the early rounds of 2022 WCQ helped us in the final round.

If we get more friendlies like the ones we have set up so far (Netherlands, France, Mexico) then that's great, but I'd still rather the Nations League be less gerrymandered.

15 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Last time, in September+October we only played 1 out if a possible 4 (the game in Japan).

This time we are likely to play at least 2 out of 4. (Mexico in the USA and likely the USA in the USA).

I wouldn't be optimistic about the month of October.

9 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I agree 

10 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Part of me feels this way too. Some of those games would be excellent opportunities to build out our depth. Not many opportunities in the cycle to play meaningful games against beatable teams. You'd think the friendlies for the most part are going to be the best teams possible which means our top players will play, and that's even if we manage to get friendlies, which we've done so far but how long that will last we shall see...

Given the friendlies we have lined up this summer I'm hesitant to say that I would prefer friendlies this fall over playing Suriname or Guadeloupe. But that's if CSA even books friendlies at all really, and I haven't taken a look to see what other confederations have scheduled for the fall windows and who would be available. 

It'll be nice when this WC cycle is over and we can return back to the previous NL format. The current one for League A is very bad. 

17 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I haven't taken a look to see what other confederations have scheduled for the fall windows and who would be available.

Assuming we play the USA along with Mexico in September, October would be:

● The teams that get knocked out of Asian Qualifying next month.

● Panama

● A few minnows that are probably not worth spending money on.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Assuming we play the USA along with Mexico in September, October would be:

● The teams that get knocked out of Asian Qualifying next month.

● Panama

● A few minnows that are probably not worth spending money on.

Oh yes, I did some research on this for the summer window before we booked France and Netherlands. I think some of those AFC teams are like China or Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia or Vietnam...interesting teams on the face of things and would be more interesting than playing against the same lower Concacaf sides, but probably not worth it given the logistics in the end. 

The only other teams that look remotely appealing and potentially available would be Vietnam and Jordan, although Jordan are currently 2nd in their group, but just 2 points up on Tajikistan. Vietnam are 3rd, surprisingly trailing Indonesia by 4 points.

Of the two, Jordan is probably more exciting after their run to the Asian Cup final. 

Slim pickings, but I would take a window versus Panama and Jordan/Vietnam over being inactive. 

Also, couldn't we just play Mexico and someone else in September, then play USA and someone else (say Panama) in October? Mexico, USA, and Canada (and Panama) all essentially have the same problem, seemingly, and none of these teams seem to have anything scheduled for October yet. 

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Also, couldn't we just play Mexico and someone else in September, then play USA and someone else (say Panama) in October? Mexico, USA, and Canada (and Panama) all essentially have the same problem, seemingly, and none of these teams seem to have anything scheduled for October yet. 

We could have a friendly tournament. We could call it the "Nations League Finals Dress Rehearsal". Highest ranked vs 4th ranked, 2nd vs 3rd. Winners play each other, and losers play each other.

Note: I'm just joking around, I don't think there is anything wrong with the idea of having friendlies against our fellow quarter-finalists. Well, as long as they don't do it like I just suggested above.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where else to put this but Greenland is scheduled to play three matches in June in Turkey and their first announced friendly is against Turkmenistan. Greenland haven't played a full FIFA side since losing 1-0 to Bermuda in 2013.

Greenland is seeking to submit their application to Concacaf two weeks after this friendly.

6 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Not sure where else to put this but Greenland is scheduled to play three matches in June in Turkey and their first announced friendly is against Turkmenistan. Greenland haven't played a full FIFA side since losing 1-0 to Bermuda in 2013.

Greenland is seeking to submit their application to Concacaf two weeks after this friendly.

I love these stories. But with their strong ties to Denmark, wouldn't they rather be part of UEFA?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, nolando said:

I love these stories. But with their strong ties to Denmark, wouldn't they rather be part of UEFA?

Probably, but IIRC UEFA requires new members to be independent states as acknowledged by the UN. IIRC this rule was supposed to apply to Gibraltar but they were allowed membership for reasons I cannot remember.

Edit - the rules were created by UEFA under pressure from Spain, and Gibraltar successfully lobbied the Court of Arbitration for Sport that their application(s) occurred prior to the rule update. They were allowed entry and now any future entrants need to be sovereign states as above. Spain was against Gibraltar joining because 1) they claim the territory, and 2) they're afraid of Basque and Catalonia football teams being created officially. So! Greenland -> Concacaf

Edited by Mihairokov