Match Thread: FIFA U-17 World Cup: Group B - Matchday 1 - Canada v Spain - November 10, 2023 - 7am ET / 4am PT (7pm local time)

narduch

Just now, El Hombre said:

How is Masked Singer still a thing?

That is actually the show that makes me worry about our species.  It reminds me of the shows you would see in the old sci fi movies when they were portraying some weird dystopian future.  Like in Running Man or 5th Element, the Masked Singer would be on in the background as a metaphor for how we had lost our way as a society.  And here we are.   

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is actually the show that makes me worry about our species.  It reminds me of the shows you would see in the old sci fi movies when they were portraying some weird dystopian future.  Like in Running Man or 5th Element, the Masked Singer would be on in the background as a metaphor for how we had lost our way as a society.  And here we are.   

It's on Season 10.  SEASON 10?!?!?  That is completely ridiculous.

My problem with the show is their choice of "celebrities".  I would totally go off the board if I could cast it:

"And now, as we remove the giant peacock head, we see that our Masked Singer is actually, in fact....former secretary-general of the UN...KOFI ANNAN!"

Let's see Robin Thicke or Jenny McCarthy guess that.

Positive 
Omeze - If i had to say of the CB's, he's been the most switched on and alert to close down or snuff out chances.
Rigopoulos - Has been dealt a tough task on the right side marking the winger and having an overlapping fullback however he's shown he's up for it.  Very calm on the ball and looks for solutions, one of the few Canada players trying to play.
Tahid - Get him on the ball more.  Has the pace, power and confidence to drive up the field and get the team into the opponents half.  Looks dangerous every time he's on it.
Badwal - I'd say he was poor in the opening 15-20 but grew into it, started to have the confidence to show for the ball and drew a couple of fouls.  Canada was in desperate need of CM's who actually wanted the ball and had the confidence to get on it and play.

Negative
Biello - Zero for me.  Sure, threw some aggressive tackles but for all the hype, he offered nothing.  And I specifically alluded to such in my write up a couple of weeks ago.  He's not a midfielder that will get you out of trouble or have the ability to begin an attack.  He doesn't show for the ball, his passes are short distance and mostly lateral/backward.   I don't see it.  Unfortunately the red card seemed super harsh.
DeMotigny - Not confident on the ball.  Not much pace to drive forward and then transition on defence.  Not able to connect any kind of pass.
Klukowski - Not involved, few times his teammates tried to bring him into the game he failed to control the ball, unable to hold it up and at least draw a foul.  Essentially playing a man down with his lack of work.

Started in a very obvious 442 which was very odd considering I'm sure we were all aware of the pressure that Spain would come out the gate with.  Chukwu is a #8/#10 who was made into a LCB (probably just because he's tall, left footed and good in the build up) who was tasked at starting at LB... He's not a LB in any case and it showed.  

I know 2nd half just started as I type this, but I would have taken out Klukowski and brought in Tyler Londono to play next to Badwal.  Let Tavernier play on the shoulder of the CB's because of his speed.  He has excellent speed which could be dangerous on the break but in his limited time on the ball, he's not great at connecting passes.  

1 minute ago, nolando said:

No access to the video...what do people make of the subs?

Fong should be starting over DeMotingny period, I would have kept Tahid in but I guess he was gassed.

Londono-Zapata is a very good, under the radar player that brings more than Biello and maybe even Badwal in possession, he can pick a pass.  I would have brought him in over Igniboro but to be fair that boy has done ok.  

Klukowski was lucky not to be pulled at half time instead of Tavernier.  I don't think Pop is much different than him.