Halifax Wanderers - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

20 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Doneil Henry, Theo Collomb, Cristian Campagna, Ryan James, Jake Ruby, and Armaan Wilson released.

Does another CanPL team give Doneil Henry a shot or does he retire?

I'm a bit surprised about the Campagna move, I have to think he'll be given a shot. Maybe closer to home, as I could see him as a starter beside Romeo in Vancouver. 

I'm guessing Henry ends up on one of the Ontario teams for some veteranship.

2 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'm a bit surprised about the Campagna move, I have to think he'll be given a shot. Maybe closer to home, as I could see him as a starter beside Romeo in Vancouver. 

I'm guessing Henry ends up on one of the Ontario teams for some veteranship.

They basically stopped playing him halfway through the season 

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this tidbit / teaser earlier this week. 

Derek was answering some Twitter questions. When asked the position of the signing he was most excited about, his answer was "RW". 

Any wild speculation? 

Edited by Copes

On 1/13/2024 at 8:04 AM, Copes said:

Saw this tidbit / teaser earlier this week. 

Derek was answering some Twitter questions. When asked the position of the signing he was most excited about, his answer was "RW". 

Any wild speculation? 

I’m wondering if RW is a double meaning and referring to former HFX triallist Ryley Wishart who was playing in the Australian NPL Tasmania (2nd on pyramid, semi-pro regional leagues).

fits the position and Gheisar would have familiarity from L1O

26 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

24-year old Italian Giorgio Probo from Creighton University signed by HFX?

https://wanderersnotebook.ca/2024/01/17/his-vision-is-incredible-inside-the-wanderers-recruitment-of-giorgio-probo/

That is reported pretty matter-of-factly. Sounds really promising. Sounds like an Attacking Midfielder versus a widger? So might not be the RW player that Derek was talking about. 

15 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Nigerian striker from Spanish 4th tier to HFX?

athttps://northerntribune.ca/halifax-wanderers-uzo-adighibe-rumour/

At the top they've now added a phrase saying he is not going to HFX.

As soon as he announced in Spain he wanted to try going abroad (he's from Madrid), a few Spanish teams have shown interest. 

I learnt that in Spain, players who are unattached can do full training programs organized and run by the professional players union, the AFE. Great idea.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

20 minutes ago, vancanman said:

Proposed permanent half stadium in Halifax.  Click to show your support.

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/wanderers-grounds

I see by their map, that the one covered end is near Bell Road, unfortunately.   They should be putting away supporters at the Bell End.

Not sure the reasoning for your comment. Away supporters are a pretty small contingent in the CPL, seems you'd want your supporters at a covered end.

If this project doesn't happen, it will be really unfortunate. There is really no other viable option downtown aside from somewhere in the Commons. There was always talk of Shannon Park for a stadium, but that would definitely kill the attendance success story. I see the old barracks have been demolished at least.  

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Not sure the reasoning for your comment. Away supporters are a pretty small contingent in the CPL, seems you'd want your supporters at a covered end.

If this project doesn't happen, it will be really unfortunate. There is really no other viable option downtown aside from somewhere in the Commons. There was always talk of Shannon Park for a stadium, but that would definitely kill the attendance success story. I see the old barracks have been demolished at least.  

Sorry, it was just a joke, hence "bell end" being in italics.  If you've never heard the expression "bell end,"  I can see how it would cause confusion.

I hope you clicked on the "support" thingy?

15 minutes ago, vancanman said:

Sorry, it was just a joke, hence "bell end" being in italics.  If you've never heard the expression "bell end,"  I can see how it would cause confusion.

I hope you clicked on the "support" thingy?

Sorry, that one flew over my head. Never heard that phrase before. I clicked, but not being a Haligonian it probably won't matter too much to the local politicians.

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Sorry, that one flew over my head. Never heard that phrase before. I clicked, but not being a Haligonian it probably won't matter too much to the local politicians.

Nor am I, but you seem to know the city well.

15 hours ago, Cicero said:

Bell end, or knob head, are British slang for the bulbous tip of the penis.

Our midfield is definitely our deepest position so I expected someone to move. 

Thinking a midfield 3 with some combo or Callegari / Rampy / Daniels or JGL. Two wingers (Ferrin on the left, unnamed RW Derek is excited about on the right) a striker above them. Basically a 4-5-1.

Have to assume that Callegari is always present and then you run JGL and one of Rampy / Daniels when we want a more defensive midfield 3 or JGL on the bench and you run Rampersad and Daniels when we want to be more aggressive?