CPL All-Star Match Idea

How about an all-star game between the top CPL Canadians and the top CPL foreign players? Each club coach could nominate two Canadian players, one of whom has to not be on that coach's team. That gives up to 16 of, say, a 20 player roster. The coach could then fill in the roster. The same could be done with the foreign players. Perhaps fans could nominate the coach, or each CPL coach could nominate a coach from another CPL club. 

This format could showcase players and maybe draw scouts and interest from higher level  leagues. At least, this would be a fun match to watch.

41 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

If my idea for an all-star game (see above) came to be, at which club would be the best first choice for hosting? I would go for the best potential attendance.

I think Ottawa, Winnipeg or Hamilton obviously 

East v West would be a waste of time. The whole point would be to create revenue and bring additional awareness to the league

As others have said, a game against a foreign club would be a good idea IMO, as it could serve as a showcase for the league by giving an opportunity for both foreign clubs and fans at home who aren't quite willing to follow the league and/or some of its players closely yet to have a quick sample. Even if a relatively small minority of both decide to either follow some of the players that impressed them (for the clubs) or to pick themselves a CPL club to support (for the domestic fans) it would be a win for the league.

The trick is to find a way to balance two imperatives that can look contradictory at first glance:

I) You want a club that has either a solid reputation or come from a Soccer system that has a strong enough reputation that people and clubs who usually don't follow the CPL can be enticed to give it a look and be impressed if the CPL team hold its own.

II) You want a club weak enough that the CPL team can be reasonably sure to put up a good fight because if they get slaughtered then its counterproductive for the league...

People have been mentionning some South American sides and there is definitely some merits to it. With the calendar I could also see a run of the mill Scandinavian club fulfilling that purpose nicely. 

I personally don't have interest in an all-star game. Especially if both teams are made up of CPL players. I hate to say it, but we don't have any stars. I don't sit around dreaming about what it would be like to have Bekker and Bassett playing together. I feel like that kind of game would have less interest than an actual league game in whichever host city was chosen. You might get more interest if the CPL All Stars are playing against a foreign team, but we are at a place where a thrown together team is going to have a tough time against most foreign teams that would be any sort of draw.

On 9/20/2023 at 6:55 PM, phil03 said:

As others have said, a game against a foreign club would be a good idea IMO, as it could serve as a showcase for the league by giving an opportunity for both foreign clubs and fans at home who aren't quite willing to follow the league and/or some of its players closely yet to have a quick sample. Even if a relatively small minority of both decide to either follow some of the players that impressed them (for the clubs) or to pick themselves a CPL club to support (for the domestic fans) it would be a win for the league.

The trick is to find a way to balance two imperatives that can look contradictory at first glance:

I) You want a club that has either a solid reputation or come from a Soccer system that has a strong enough reputation that people and clubs who usually don't follow the CPL can be enticed to give it a look and be impressed if the CPL team hold its own.

II) You want a club weak enough that the CPL team can be reasonably sure to put up a good fight because if they get slaughtered then its counterproductive for the league...

People have been mentionning some South American sides and there is definitely some merits to it. With the calendar I could also see a run of the mill Scandinavian club fulfilling that purpose nicely. 

I think you would also want a team thar brings fans in and has supporters domestically. Celtic or Rangers would also make a lot of sense

You also want to create a situation where you put money in your pocket. You could bring in Malmo have a nice game but who cares about Malmo?

Edited by SpursFlu