New CONCACAF And CONMOBEL Club Competition

53 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Concacaf Champions League, Leagues Cup, Copa Libertadores 

Somethings gotta give here

CCL should logically serve as the qualifier for a playoff series vs Copa Libertadores finalists or just champions of each regions 

I expect CONCACAF to go back to group stage at some point and ignore MLS complains about having to play too many games

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

CCL should logically serve as the qualifier for a playoff series vs Copa Libertadores finalists or just champions of each regions 

I expect CONCACAF to go back to group stage at some point and ignore MLS complains about having to play too many games

It seems that a lot of people ate denying the Concacaf in Libertadores thing. They're pointing yo the announcement in January and it seems to indicate a final 4 type concept. That makes a lot more sense. The Seattle Sounders flying to Argentina mid week makes zero sense 

19 hours ago, narduch said:

So now reports are coming out that Concacaf teams will start playing in Copa Libertadores starting in 2024.

On the one hand, I'd love for the continued unification of CONCACAF/CONMEBOL.  On the other, at the club level it's an enormous travel burden on the players, even more than travel to central america.  I'll wait for more details on this.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:03 PM, SpursFlu said:

It seems that a lot of people ate denying the Concacaf in Libertadores thing. They're pointing yo the announcement in January and it seems to indicate a final 4 type concept. That makes a lot more sense. The Seattle Sounders flying to Argentina mid week makes zero sense 

Don't worry, I'm sure Seattle won't have to travel to Argentina. No doubt all games will be held in the USA, as per usual.

Lots of Concacaf reporters (almost as if someone told them to) immediately started denying and saying there will be be a final 4 competition  kinda like Nations League. Probably in 1 place, probably also in Las Vegas.

I do think that is most probable and kinda cool actually 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 10:10 AM, Ruffian said:

I would think if the Copa InterAmericana continues with a similar structure then they will have to open up League's Cup to more leagues since it is CONCACAF sanctioned.

I'm thinking the same thing or CONCACAF could decide that eventually both berths will have come from their Champions League instead if MLS doesn't open up its cup to more leagues.

Personally, if this format is to stay - bring back CONCACAF league and open it to MLS and Liga MX as well like they do in CONMEBOL

19 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They should be more pissed about the CL format than this. Only 5 spots for the entire region, while Canada is getting at least 3.

I have seen people complain about that on social media.

Doesn't make this any less wrong. 

54 minutes ago, narduch said:

I have seen people complain about that on social media.

Doesn't make this any less wrong. 

I think this one is even less relevant/more of a cash grab than the Leagues Cup.  I think sometimes you pick your battles, and this one isn't worth the Central American fighting for.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Well, I guess we'll see.  It's always the format for this tournament that made sense, and there's no desire from MLS or Liga MX to allow other countries in to the Leagues Cup.

That really doesn't matter.

It's up to Concacaf to make it fair.

Hell having the Leagues Cup winner face off v the Central American Cup winner would be way fairer

2 hours ago, narduch said:

That really doesn't matter.

It's up to Concacaf to make it fair.

Hell having the Leagues Cup winner face off v the Central American Cup winner would be way fairer

Well, it seems CONCACAF already thinks its fair or they wouldn't be moving forward with this method.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, all the "Leagues Cup entry doesn't make sense until they include the rest of CONCACAF" seems to misunderstand the whole point of this thing. It's not about determining some kind of pan-American champion by sporting merit, it's selling a crapload of tickets to fans of Latin American soccer based in the US. Have Leagues Cup and Nations League taught you nothing? The rest of the region will be placated with some big-money games of their own

• 2 months later...