Match Thread: October 9, 2022 - Atletico Ottawa v York United

narduch

It was an entertaining end to an entertaining season in the league.  So many good goals scored all round, right to the last.  Given the level of the players, I'm impressed with how watchable the matches are.  I'm liking the way this league is proceeding, right down to the way the Ottawa players were celebrating their top record in the regular season.

42 minutes ago, rkomar said:

It was an entertaining end to an entertaining season in the league.  So many good goals scored all round, right to the last.  Given the level of the players, I'm impressed with how watchable the matches are.  I'm liking the way this league is proceeding, right down to the way the Ottawa players were celebrating their top record in the regular season.

100%

Once we hit 14, max 16 teams I personally think we will have a much more exciting league then MLS.

Maybe even expand the foreign content, but not to exceed 50%, and on field always to have 50 % Canadians on the pitch.

BUT, this is for another thread.

1 hour ago, cornerkick said:

Fun game…looked to me that Osaze should have had a 2nd goal.  Would have meant he tied for the golden boot…

Yes, an overzealous assistant referee.   My seats were in line with the penalty area at the end where all 4 goals were scored, and live I didn't think it was offside, watching the highlights with freeze frame it was closer then I thought, but still not offside, Osaze should have tied Diaz for the Golden Boot.   When it is a matter of inches, the attacker should be given the advantage, If the AR can't be 100% sure of offside , don't raise the flag.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

23 hours ago, ATM said:

100%

Once we hit 14, max 16 teams I personally think we will have a much more exciting league then MLS.

Maybe even expand the foreign content, but not to exceed 50%, and on field always to have 50 % Canadians on the pitch.

BUT, this is for another thread.

Attendance needs to improve or get these teams that play in these massive stadiums into smaller more soccer friendly stadiums. I’m sorry but nothing exciting for me in watching games in these mainly empty stadiums that , Forge, Valour and Ottawa play in and staring at a sea of empty seats. Moreover, yes the level of play is good enough no reason why Forge and Ottawa with the season they are having to not be getting close to 10000 a game why not? Forge have been putting out good quality teams from the start , so to get at least half of the attendance say the Ticats get in that same stadium is that’s asking too much ? Or Ottawa getting at least half the attendance the Ottawa CFL team gets should be a reasonable goal no? 

9 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Attendance needs to improve or get these teams that play in these massive stadiums into smaller more soccer friendly stadiums. I’m sorry but nothing exciting for me in watching games in these mainly empty stadiums that , Forge, Valour and Ottawa play in and staring at a sea of empty seats. Moreover, yes the level of play is good enough no reason why Forge and Ottawa with the season they are having to not be getting close to 10000 a game why not? Forge have been putting out good quality teams from the start , so to get at least half of the attendance say the Ticats get in that same stadium is that’s asking too much ? Or Ottawa getting at least half the attendance the Ottawa CFL team gets should be a reasonable goal no? 

The CFL has decades-long history in those cities, while CanPL has only had 2 proper seasons. 

16 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I think peoples’ expectations of what the CPL should draw vs the CFL needs to be realistic.  The CFL in Ottawa has a long history; the team draws 20,000 regularly even when the team is horrible (like now).  All my old high school friends would not cross the street to watch Atletico but have season tickets to the RedBlacks.  Why?  Cause to them soccer is boring and nothing will change that.  In the same way, baseball or CFL is boring for many of us.  That will not change soon…the goal is to work on the younger generation.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

...That will not change soon...

The most exciting thing to happen with CanPL is that Halifax suggests it might in midsized markets where there is no pro sport in the summer worth mentioning. Who cares about season ticket holding CFL fans though? If they want to watch two lines of mountain goats clashing heads over and over again and don't like soccer because of diving or whatever that's entirely their prerogative. 

It makes more sense in the first instance to target people who already know and love our sport. The main target demographic in the larger cities should be the first and second generation immigrants who still watch the World Cup every four years but have been brainwashed into thinking soccer is not something that's supposed to happen in Canada and/or turned off by the complete shambles that has been the CSA over the years.

In Toronto the number of people born overseas is slightly over 50% but the sports media still likes to pretend the population they are catering to only really cares about hockey, baseball and football of the gridiron variety in a Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan sort of way. Richard Peddie of MLSE saw the reality and a way to make a lot of money out of that. Bob Young & Co have had too much of a CFL mindset at times.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The main target demographic in the larger cities should be the first and second generation immigrants

Being an immigrant myself and spending the last couple decades in construction I have had plenty of conversations with said immigrants trying to generate some interest in local soccer. More often than not it doesn't work. Most are only interested in watching what they left behind on television. Sometimes I get, "If I'm not watching top flight I'd rather just play it myself." The good news is I now see this same group of people supporting TFC. In 2007, not so much. I guess Toronto finally measures up for them. I guess this is just a long winded way of saying it will take time. Happy to notice lots of kids at Forge games too.