Toronto FC MLS Next Pro 2022

MM3/MM2/MM

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

Completely forgot about this game.

By the way if you were wondering if TFC II playing at York United's stadium would be a detriment to the CPL team, based on the clips I've seen there is nobody there.

It was not open to the general public for some reason, just family and friends. Not sure why. 

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well that explains this game...was it like that last season too??  

Yeah it was friends and family officially until the final two games of the season but yes it was pretty easy to just go. Attendance was pretty low but then again in the USL League One era home games were played at 4 pm on Fridays, think it so the visiting team could save on a second night in a hotel as MLSE really did not care about the commercial aspect of things or lack of it LOL. I have seen TFC II at six home fields since there first season in 2015. 

So just for me to understand...TFC2 doesnt open the games to the public, they dont even try to sell tickets??  Hmmm, I wonder what the usual suspects have to say about that business model and the prospects of MLS next pro surviving on 0$ ticket revenue??  Montreal not wanting to open up shop makes a lot of sense now.  

Just now, Bison44 said:

So just for me to understand...TFC2 doesnt open the games to the public, they dont even try to sell tickets??  Hmmm, I wonder what the usual suspects have to say about that business model and the prospects of MLS next pro surviving on 0$ ticket revenue??  Montreal not wanting to open up shop makes a lot of sense now.  

I wonder why they don`t bother just playing at BMO Field if they aren`t going to let fans in.

I noticed the Miami Next Pro team plays in the main Inter Miami stadium (with no fans either).

My prediction this league doesn`t last more than 5 years stands firm.

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder why they don`t bother just playing at BMO Field if they aren`t going to let fans in.

I noticed the Miami Next Pro team plays in the main Inter Miami stadium (with no fans either).

My prediction this league doesn`t last more than 5 years stands firm.

Think it mostly comes down to maintaining the pitch at BMO and it simply easier to use a smaller stadium. But I should note 2 of TFC II’s home games will be at BMO as part of double headers on the first team. 

^^^on and on with the CanPL vs MLS seethe from the usual suspects. As long as their first teams are drawing 20,000 or so on average and they are able to have a nine figure broadcasting deal in the United States running a reserve league is not going to be a make or break issue for MLS financially in the years ahead regardless of whether there are any fans there or not.

That's why having three MLS funded teams in CanPL might have helped bolster the league's stability. It wouldn't really matter if only 1000 paying spectators are showing up in Edmonton if the Whitecaps were paying the bills and viewing anything they get through the gate with a CanPL affiliate as a bonus. Too late now though because MLS have gone in a different direction.

9 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^on and on with the CanPL vs MLS seethe from the usual suspects. 

This had nothing to do with this made up in your head CPL v MLS battle.

My assessment is based purely on analysis of Next Pro's roll out. CPL is irrelevant in that sense.

If the league was OK wasting millions on a reserve league the could have just kept the previous one they had.

MLS wanted to give USL a run for their money and the early returns have been left wanting.

Besides this argument that CPL should have accepted MLS reserve sides is ludicrous with the advent of Next Pro. So you would have been OK with the 3 MLS teams leaving CPL the same way MLS left USL? 

It's bloody obvious now that CPL made the right decision on that front.

Edited by narduch

So we cant comment on TFC2 in the TFC2 thread?

This was a big eye opener for me, as I assumed the TFC2 had small crowds because of the low level of play (USL-1) and covid/external factors they cant control etc.  But i thought they would try and bring in some revenue, and i was shocked that the whole operation is a just write off for the big club.  I wonder how that goes over for the independent clubs that actually have to try and be economically viable.  Every away game is in front of empty stadiums, not a good look for the league I would think.  This cant be the case with the rest of the league can it??  Didnt Van say it cost them 5-6mil to run WC2 and thats why they got out of USL?  Are these MLS clubs so flush with cash they can spend that much just to keep a reserve team going...the league has to be subsidizing this eh?  

Game just starting, looks like a couple cousins, maybe an old high school teacher in the stands.....ZERO ticket revenue as per usual. Gotta love the reserve league, I wish we had more of these teams in Canada!!!    And Fire take the early lead on a nice header..1-0, I think I heard someone in the crowd say something.  

Franklin scores, clears a ball off his own line and should have had an assist but Karajovanic couldnt put it away on a golden chance.  Antonoglu and Rothrock have been pretty good so far.  If you miss the old days of CMNT, no fans, strange pitch with dodgy officials, 1 camera on a tripod with spooky cat and cricket noises coming from somewhere, this is the game for you.  Actually impressed with TFC2, its not bad to watch if your stuck indoors during a blizzard.  

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Franklin scores, clears a ball off his own line and should have had an assist but Karajovanic couldnt put it away on a golden chance.  Antonoglu and Rothrock have been pretty good so far.  If you miss the old days of CMNT, no fans, strange pitch with dodgy officials, 1 camera on a tripod with spooky cat and cricket noises coming from somewhere, this is the game for you.  Actually impressed with TFC2, its not bad to watch if your stuck indoors during a blizzard.  

Apparently they are using robot cameras for all MLS Next Pro games 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...