2021 Voyageurs Player of the Year Vote

MrsC

Thanks to @Shway for laying out the format for the voting.  I copied the same formatting from the Men's vote to keep it consistent.

This is to vote the best Canadian Women's National Team Player by the Voyageurs of the Year.
This is based on the 2021 Calendar Year.

The rules are as follows:

• The deadline for submissions is 12:01 AM (Pacific) January 1st, New Year’s Day 2022.
  • Select your ranking in the respective options of first, second, and third.
  • A point system is used to calculate a player’s points total at the completion of polling:

5 points for a 1st place selection
                3 points for a 2nd place selection
                1 point for a 3rd place selection

• The player with the highest final aggregate total will be declared the Voyageurs International Player of the Year.
  • Only one submission per person.
  • For a player to be eligible for the Voyageurs International Player of the Year the player must have been selected for a Canadian international in the past year.

Vote here: https://forms.gle/Em8QBKEmUDQQ2SiZ9 

I voted. 

I find it hard to not put Lawrence and Buchanan as top 2, they are so consistent wherever they play. Just because PSG beat out Lyon I opted for the former, and left Kadeisha out; then chose on the basis of the gold medal: Labbe and Fleming. 

I find it a bit arbitrary, tbh, I hope no one is offended or bothered by my vote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, RJB said:

Is there a way to show the breakdown of the votes?

Yep.  Here is the full breakdown: 

Player  Pts
STEPHANIE LABBÉ 199
JESSIE FLEMING 152
ASHLEY LAWRENCE 92
CHRISTINE SINCLAIR 73
KADEISHA BUCHANAN 52
JULIA GROSSO 38
JANINE BECKIE 31
VANESSA GILLES 25
JORDYN HUITEMA 22
QUINN 4
SARAH STRATIGAKIS 3
SHELINA ZADORSKY 3
ADRIANA LEON 2
DEANNE ROSE 1
DESIREE SCOTT 1
NICHELLE PRINCE 1

I voted Labbe top, Lawrence second, and Buchanon third.  Happy to see Labbe win because she had been seen by a number of supporters as a question mark after she became the number one but delivered when it really counted.  The other two, as @Unnamed Trialistpointed out, are such mainstays for us and Lawrence was recognized in the BBC awards, as well.

The vote totals illustrate as expected, that very few people who voted know much about women's soccer.

This effect is the same reason Marta won player of the year repeatedly. She could have died and not played and still won. Because she was well known, had a memorable one word two syllable name and was Brazilian and played in Europe and North America.

Curious of approaches to remove that bias...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 4:40 AM, _Vic_ said:

The vote totals illustrate as expected, that very few people who voted know much about women's soccer.

This effect is the same reason Marta won player of the year repeatedly. She could have died and not played and still won. Because she was well known, had a memorable one word two syllable name and was Brazilian and played in Europe and North America.

Curious of approaches to remove that bias...

Hi, could you just explain why you think the voting result reflected a lack of criteria? 

The only thing I could imagine is that Labbé did not have stellar club year. 

Yes, Sinclair was probably not in our top 5-6 but there were still little details, like drawing that penalty vs the States. 

Lawrence, Buchanan and Fleming seem like fairly reliable choices, for club play and country.

But just curious, not bothered you say this but would like to hear from you.

Yeah in looking at it now it's perhaps not so bad. When I first looked and saw all the voting for a lot of random players (some of whom never got on the field much at all) the chaos of the whole exercise struck me. The right players were in the lead pack and the winner is worthy, just perhaps some question about the order. So many awards - Ballon d'Or, FIFA Player of the Year, etc. To each his own. I imagine one day the random factor will produce a strange winner but until then no harm, no foul.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:08 PM, _Vic_ said:

Yeah in looking at it now it's perhaps not so bad. When I first looked and saw all the voting for a lot of random players (some of whom never got on the field much at all) the chaos of the whole exercise struck me. The right players were in the lead pack and the winner is worthy, just perhaps some question about the order. So many awards - Ballon d'Or, FIFA Player of the Year, etc. To each his own. I imagine one day the random factor will produce a strange winner but until then no harm, no foul.

No one here is voting in representation of a media outlet, or in the name of their region or anyone other than her/himself. And it's mostly anonymous. So you get random favorites coming out.