Michael Argyrides

Found this guy looking at the UEFA draws yesterday.

His new team Larne FC in Northern Ireland drew a Welsh team in the Conference League first qualifying round.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/news/0269-125a0ece5cf9-5867a3c2252d-1000--first-qualifying-round-draw/?iv=true

Intro from the club earlier this month, talking about his journey. 

Looks like he played in League 1 Ontario and tends to retweet Johnston's stuff. 

Anyone know him better?

This is not a pro football environment. In the last 10 years, my club has had 2-3 guys come to us who played for Larne in NI before coming to Australia for a couple of years on working holiday visas. They were decent players for us, but not standouts. We play in the 6th tier of the Australian pyramid. Our senior team would be a decent side in the VMSL.

18 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

This is not a pro football environment. In the last 10 years, my club has had 2-3 guys come to us who played for Larne in NI before coming to Australia for a couple of years on working holiday visas. They were decent players for us, but not standouts. We play in the 6th tier of the Australian pyramid. Our senior team would be a decent side in the VMSL.

As in the VMSL premier division? 

15 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Seems a bit to be going abroad to play at that level? Nice adventure though

The guys that we get from overseas to play at our level are usually on Working Holiday visas or are very recent migrants for work. Nobody moves to Australia just to play football an amateur level, even if they're getting a few bucks per match under the table.

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I agree but he made it sound like it didn't even exist.

Did you pick up on that from the full interview? I just watched the short version and he said there is a gap between pro and amateur in Canada, and the gap is smaller in Northern Ireland. He didn't elaborate on that at all. Besides, he had really already answered the question and was asked again. I think he wanted to say something new instead of repeating the thing about University soccer being shut down.

He's definitely picking up an Ulster accent. Think what he says is fair comment. Dundela and Larne would be between L1O or OSL on the one hand and CanPL on the other in terms of being a form of elite semi-pro that we don't have so he's not wrong about there being more rungs in the ladder. Having been there it's safe to say Larne wouldn't feature prominently on a list of the UK's most desireable residential locations so it shows he's commited to trying to carve out a career as a goalkeeper. Hope it works out for him.