List of Canadian soccer podcasts

fil

Just now, narduch said:

Same with Ben Steiner 

I feel like I see him less on OneSoccer. 
Looked up his picture and actually I haven't seen him at all. 

But yea sounds like I'm being harsh, but good to know I'm not the only one who's felt this way. 

On 1/12/2024 at 12:34 PM, Shway said:

Should be. Podcast turned to shit ever since it wasn't just Nef and Galindo. 

AGR reminds me of someone who just took an interest to the sport and is just an intellect who can interpret stats well but doesn't really knnnnooww the game. Same way I feel about JJD - opportunist. 

They just announced Galindo is leaving, the pod is gonna keep going and they’ll get a new third host. I think they should probably change the name given both original hosts are gone, but I guess it’s tough to build reputation in Canadian soccer.

I respect what AGR does and I think he has a lot of soccer knowledge to share- I just think that sometimes he stretches his reach too far, and since he’s a pretty technical guy, it’s tough to speak insightfully about all these obscure leagues and players. He’s kinda like a better version of it I tried to start a soccer podcast. I think Galindo is really good at covering a lot of different players and leagues and having valuable insight but I guess that’s why he now has a big boy soccer job. I’ll never talk bad about guys trying to make a go at it in Canadian soccer media, but it’s gonna be tough see how the NF podcast maintains its thing without either Nef or Galindo. Funny enough, I wouldn’t be surprised if their future third host is actually gonna be JJD.

Edited by InglewoodJack

On 1/12/2024 at 12:36 PM, narduch said:

Same with Ben Steiner 

To his credit, a lot of his regular beat is U Sports and women’s leagues. Don’t really think he positions himself as an expert on the pod- he just reads the news and moderates the convo, but I respect how much he contributes to covering teams and leagues in Canada that get very little coverage. AGR does some of that too, but I don’t know that I’ve seen him do as much of that lately. 

On 1/12/2024 at 10:36 AM, narduch said:

Same with Ben Steiner 

To each their own I guess. I like Steiner and AGR. Nef was knowledgable but I could hardly ever hear a word he said. I think it was a combination of  quality mic and a tendency to mumble.

I've been listening to Northern Futbol podcast since at least a good two years now and my take is that they are essentially what I'd like OneSoccer to reasonably be.

They have essentially all of the qualities of OneSoccer in term of passion, knowledge and breath of coverage while being, frankly, more likable as hosts then some on OneSoccer (*cough* Wheeler *cough*). 

Sure they probably defend everything CSB-related a bit too much due to working in a fairly CPL-related field, they probably overestimate the odds of CPL teams in CanCham when making predictions for the same reasons and probably too often underestimate MTL to do so (compared to the other two MLS clubs) due to being an English speaking piece of media. However, all of that is very understandable, human and probably unavoidable. Its very forgivable if, like them and unlike OneSoccer sometimes, you don't let it run too rampant.

And that's what kinda worries me in that regard: to me at least, Neff and Galindo seemed the more independent thinkers. Even when they had opinions that I might not have been fully onboard with they always came across to me as understanding that many people would see things differently, where these people came from and that just ignoring their opinions wouldn't be the best thing for the growth of the game in Canada.

Without them I am worried they'll lose much of the nuances and willingness to truly deal with the though questions, so to speak. Lets see how Dunlop does.

Edited by phil03

Interesting to read people's opinions on the podcast. 

I'll tune in for every episode so long as it keeps going, I expect. I really appreciate anyone doing podcasts on Canadian soccer. It would be sad if it ended, so I am glad it keeps going, even if the voices and faces change. Before this, it was the Dunfield and Wheeler podcast, which I cannot recall the name of, but I listened to that religiously as well. Anyone recall the it's called soccer (football?) podcast with Dwane Rollins and two other guys who's names escape me? That was really the first one for me. Anyhow, like I said, I got love for all these guys past and present. They are doing a great job.

With that said, if I am going to be critical and rank them, I will say that AGR and Galindo are two of my favorites, followed by Josh (throwing him in here) and Nef, then finally Steiner, who is more of a moderator, as someone said, so maybe natural he's my least favorite. Not as if he has done anything wrong in my eyes though. 

Also, I don't feel like any of them are necessarily more knowledgeable on our team, past or present, than a lot of the posters here. Collectively, I think we are the best resource for opinion and analysis and banter on this team, and I feel they are like our peers, who simply picked up a microphone and decided to be content creators. And in the case of Galindo, he carved out a real opportunity, which I admire and respect.

Edited by Obinna

• 2 weeks later...

Having listened to a few episodes of Northern Futbol with Brendan Dunlop, I can't help but get the feeling that Dunlop is too good for NFP.

I've listened to every episode of NFP, and I like all the hosts for different reasons. But Dunlop seems a step above in his entertainment/broadcasting/knowledge. I thought he was the most professional one on Footy Prime too, but here it's like a seasoned professional making AGR/Steiner look like rookies. 

Am I crazy? 

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

Having listened to a few episodes of Northern Futbol with Brendan Dunlop, I can't help but get the feeling that Dunlop is too good for NFP.

I've listened to every episode of NFP, and I like all the hosts for different reasons. But Dunlop seems a step above in his entertainment/broadcasting/knowledge. I thought he was the most professional one on Footy Prime too, but here it's like a seasoned professional making AGR/Steiner look like rookies. 

Am I crazy? 

I'm glad he checks AGR such as when he touts every player has a chance to be called up to play for Canada especially from the Caps. 

He brings a bit more realism and a bit more levity. Though when he did CPL broadcasts, he was too monotone and uninteresting. 

3 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Am I crazy? 

What's wrong with Footy Prime?Sad Idiot GIF by Film Riot

Edited by Canuckia

Hey just be happy, there are plenty of podcasts now.

I remember the old days of early Toronto FC. Back in those ancient times most people had no idea what a podcast even was. You had to listen to sports talk on a crude device called a "radio" and if it was your lucky day they might give a quick mention of this thing some people call soccer.

Times have sure changed. I personally prefer longer more casual podcasts. I listen to Vocal Minority. I occasionally listen to AFTN. I listen to Coast to Coast FC for CPL talk. But I know others disagree with my opinion...

8jfofc.jpg

8jfoh8.jpg

20 hours ago, Canuckia said:

What's wrong with Footy Prime?Sad Idiot GIF by Film Riot

My comment wasn't a slight at Footy Prime. My point was that Footy Prime had a bunch of professional broadcasters (like Sharman) or ex-players (Forrest/Brennan/Walsh) and Dunlop *still* stood out as my favorite. On NFP, he sticks out even more. 

39 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

My comment wasn't a slight at Footy Prime. My point was that Footy Prime had a bunch of professional broadcasters (like Sharman) or ex-players (Forrest/Brennan/Walsh) and Dunlop *still* stood out as my favorite. On NFP, he sticks out even more. 

I get it. Just kidding. 😄

• 2 weeks later...